Start by marking “ABC: A Family Alphabet Book” as Want to Read:
ABC: A Family Alphabet Book

ABC: A Family Alphabet Book

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  48 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Have fun with the kids, moms, dads and pets in this delightful book that celebrates LGBTQ families as it teaches young children the alphabet.
Published March 21st 2012 by Two Lives Publishing (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABC

Emelda
The kiddo said to give this one 4 stars and it was his favorite of the new library books we read today. I would have given it 3 myself. Maybe even 2- I would never buy this, no matter how cute, because it mentions zoos, aquariums, eggs (as a vegan, I don't want to support any of those), AND has a little girl dressed in a stereotypical "Indian" costume which is racism in action (as someone who is of color, I also don't want to support that, either). I REALLY wish those elements hadn't been there ...more
Emily Holder
Oct 17, 2016 Emily Holder added it
Shelves: text-set
This book is an ABC learning book, while some aspects of it discuss diverse families, LGBT families in particular. Not every page has to do with diverse families, but enough of them do to make it relevant for this topic.
I chose this book because it is educational in multiple aspects. I also chose it because students may recognize the format of alphabet books and therefore be more comfortable or more likely to want to read this particular book.
The story is interested to children, however only th
Lara
Jun 20, 2012 Lara rated it liked it
This is a standard A-Z picture book, but all families represented are gay & lesbian parents. I wasn't crazy about most of the illustrations and would have liked to see more racial/ethnic diversity. Since it was published in 2000, I'm disappointed that there's a culturally insensitive illustration of a girl dressed up in a stereotypical "Indian" costume. I hope parents & teachers use the illustration for "B" to open a discussion about stereotypes of "Indians" or Native Americans. While ...more
Ally
Apr 16, 2012 Ally rated it it was amazing
TEXT SET

This book is an A through Z book with each book representing a fun family activity that starts with that specific letter. On each page the family depicted in the illustrations is either a gay or lesbian couple as parents. For example “A is for awake” shows a child blowing a horn to wake up his two moms in bed. “ Or C is for cookies”Both of my dads know how to make great chocolate chip cookies.” It is considered a non-issue book, meaning the nature of the content doesn’t directly discuss
Amy Rae
May 15, 2014 Amy Rae rated it liked it
It's a fairly standard sort of alphabet book--it wouldn't be the slightest bit notable if not for the fact that it features gay and lesbian parents. But for that fact, it does have value on the bookshelf.

Another reviewer notes that the illustrations do include an example of "playing Indian," which is unfortunate. I have to admit I didn't notice that in my readthrough, but that's because I was at work and had to do it quickly!
Lbbkids
This is a really cute alphabet book aimed at queer families that shows kids' favorite things to do with their moms and dads. The goofy and colorful illustrations show families from many different ethnic and cultural backgrounds having fun together. From waking their moms up early with a tuba seranade, to swinging on the jungle-gym with their dads, the illustrations will make kids laugh out loud, and will provide them with many opportunities to learn new words in addition to the alphabet!
Hannah Givens
Apr 22, 2016 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, lgbt
Nice casual alphabet book with same-sex parents. I found it a bit weird that ALL the parents were same gender, though, because (on an admittedly very quick skim) it didn't look like they were the same families over and over, so why not include some different-sex couples and single parents?
Coley G
May 06, 2016 Coley G rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
3.5 Stars
Cute and it's always nice to introduce kids to different kinds of families but the art style is not my thing and the part about dressing up as an Indian contradicts, to me, the book's inclusive purpose. Still, not a bad little ABC book and my kid liked it.
Vanessa Dougherty
This book celebrates the LGBTQ community while teaching the letters of the alphabet. Learning about different family dynamics like, moms, dads, siblings, etc children are introduced to the different families peers may have. This book would be great to start conversations about diverse families.
Autumn Yoon
Apr 11, 2012 Autumn Yoon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, abc-s, families
LOVE this book it serves 2 purposes - works as an ABC book and exposes students to different families. I would recommend reading this story to students or children in Kindergarten - 3rd.
Michael Watson
Michael Watson rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Michelle Marcano
Michelle Marcano rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Maija
Maija rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Alec
Alec rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Dr. Audra
Dr. Audra rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Cameron MacElvee
Cameron MacElvee rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Jen Anderson
Jen Anderson rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Tyler Driscoll
Tyler Driscoll rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2008
Buzz H.
Buzz H. rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
D'Anne
D'Anne rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Stacey Rocheleau-Bourgeois
Oct 14, 2011 Stacey Rocheleau-Bourgeois rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, gay-and-lesbian
LOVE this one--a book with great pictures of 2 mom and 2 dad families.
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2008
Franchesca Fresquez
Franchesca Fresquez rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Giovanna Goodthighs
Giovanna Goodthighs rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015