Start by marking “A Misfit's Manifesto: The Sociological Memoir of a Rock & Roll Heart” as Want to Read:
A Misfit's Manifesto: The Sociological Memoir of a Rock & Roll Heart

A Misfit's Manifesto: The Sociological Memoir of a Rock & Roll Heart

Dubbed the Margaret Mead of heavy metal, Donna Gaines is a walking, talking oxymoron, a turnpike intellectual. A Misfit's Manifesto is the story of her wild-in-the-burbs odyssey-from overweight yeshiva girl to savvy street-punk sociologist. Isolated, angry, and depressed through most of her adolescence and early adulthood, she found truth and beauty in the least likely p ...more
Published January 29th 2007 by Rutgers University Press (first published March 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Misfit's Manifesto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Misfit's Manifesto

Kate
May 17, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a misfit. I have a rock n roll heart, but this book was an EPIC FAIL on both the music and memoir fronts. This fact was totally disappointing to me because I really, really, really enjoy reading books on both subjects equally as much. My main beef with this book was that it read more like an autobiography of Ms. Gaines life; with minute, inconsequential details, that as a reader I could have given a rat’s ass about.

She could of/should of explored her ideas on how rock n roll in general and
amie
Apr 20, 2008 amie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I wanted to like this book more than I could. Donna Gaines is definitely an interesting woman with a fascinating life. I bought the book based on all her Joey Ramone talk. The last chapter was "spiritual" and made it hard to finish. It's a decent memoir filled with interesting rock tidbits, but I understand why it was on the sale rack at Barnes and Noble.
Diann Blakely
In her intelligent study TEENAGE WASTELAND, Donna Gaines asserts that the emptiness of American suburban culture, not drugs or individual pathology, is to blame for adolescent suicide—a national epidemic at the time of the book’s publication over a decade ago. Gaines’ argument, drawn from Emile Durkheim, was and is certainly worth repeating; however, as a one-size-fits-all diagnosis and nostrum, it works no better than the marijuana-and-mental-illness model of teenage suicide still in vogue in s ...more
Callie
Nov 05, 2008 Callie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Ughh! This book took me forever! No wonder it was only $3!
I hate giving bad reviews, but with this one, I must. This memoir went all over the place.
I enjoyed the personal stories of being an awkward adolescent but it quickly lost me following her high school days. There was no flow, no direction, and towards the middle of the book I pretty much had great disdain for the author which is never a good thing when reading someone's bio.
And in case you also, were thinking of reading this with the mi
I skimmed it. Not great. How do you get around mentioning the recovery thing? I remember when that Aerosmith song came out and every lyric was a program slogan. Reviewers who had never been court mandated to AA thought it was a brilliant invention. I've had crazy diverse experiences in The Rooms, wonder what I'll do with that - the rule used to be to just not mention it at all. Ever. But then we wouldn't have Sober House, which was top drawer must see appointment television.
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2010
allison
allison rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Natali
Natali rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2007
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2009
Puzu
Sep 06, 2007 Puzu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all misfits
Shelves: nonfiction
This book ROCKS! I guess it's because i am a misfit myself and i also have a Rock N Roll heart.
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2008
Jodie Walker
Jodie Walker rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Sheila A. Quinn
Sheila A. Quinn rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Dylan
Dylan rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
meri
meri rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2007
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
May 09, 2012
Leia
Leia rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2011
MacKenzie Wilson
MacKenzie Wilson rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2007
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Elizabeth Green
Elizabeth Green rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Kristen Fisher
Kristen Fisher rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Mickey
Mickey rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2012
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2007
Sara Friesz
Sara Friesz rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Pj Raftery
Pj Raftery rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2014
Serenalisa
Serenalisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2011