Love Letters of Great Women

Love Letters of Great Women

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Love Letters of Great Men was published to great success in November of 2008. It was a fantastic holiday hit that continued to sell well through Valentine’s Day. The demand was fueled by the fictional book’s presence in the hit film Sex and the City.

As a companion to Love Letters of Great Men, this anthology gives the other side of the story: the secret hopes and lives of...more
Published November 24th 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 6th 2009)

Ash Bruxvoort
I have never read Love Letters of Great Men, but when I saw Love Letters of Great Women in the store I really could not pass it up. It was on the table for Valentine's Day. It had a pretty cover. Quite a bit of white space when I was looking for a quick read. And a quick look at the back flap assured me that I would find at least a few good letters in this collection. But what I found wasn't quite what I was expecting. In fact, I think it was better.

I was looking for a gushy romantic collection...more
Carlyn Brody
I bought this book in December during the busy Christmas season. It was a crowded house during December as my grandparents had come stay with us. My family decided to go the movies and I decided to skip the movies and go shopping instead. I wanted a little time to myself. So, I wandered around the shops and ate lunch. After going around the mall a few times I decided to buy some books from Books4less which is a bargain bookstore. Books4less buy surplus books from publishers and sell the books at...more
Grace Harwood
This is a lovely collection of letters from famous women (made great by their husbands/marriages/or the children they gave birth to, is the sad fact presented to the reader by the editor) from 1399 up to the First world war. What it does show is how little we've changed really, in our essential ways of loving. In this collection there are exhortations to husbands (Anne Boleyn's to Henry VIII is fantastic), messages of support and strength (Empress Alexandra of Russia to Tsar Nicholas II - and lo...more
Dana
Even though most of the letters are undeniably sweet, what made me down is the history--pre and post marriage--of these women. A good collection but did not coincide well with the author's (forgive the word...) amateur writing with attempts in sarcasm and humor.
Therese
I was really intrigued by this book because I really like history and I really love literature from the 1800’s, it’s quite different reading fiction from letters –it moves one more because the letters are from real people to real people. I must admit I cried, because some of the letters were so devoted, I laughed a lot of the women wit and I was deeply moved by how miserable some of these women life went. I learned quite a bit about romance and I kinda want to throw it at every guys’ head and sh...more
Gamze Akgün
Bu mektuplari yazan kadinlarin etkili ve kendi zmanlarinda buyuk kadinlar oldugu belli, yalniz mektuplarin cogu ask mektubu degildi, en azindan benim bekledigim tarzda olmadigini soyleyebilirim.. Bir de bu mektuplarin sahipleri kocalarini ve sevgililerini aldatmislar, bu ask degil ki..
Colleen
Very very cute. Some were extremely sweet while others just seemed needy or crazy. Why is that? I thought if this was from a man it would be cute but since a woman's writing it it's kinda pathetic. I guess I'm the pathetic one for thinking that though.
Not quite as good as Love letters of Great Men, strangely enough a lot of the letters seemed to be simply letters of great women as opposed to love letters. Again the best section was letters during the Great War.
Lenny
lovely book, also read the other one some years ago.

"Verberg je ziel voor me zodat uj altijd kan geloven in de schoonheid ervan."
Lisa M
It was an okay read for me. I dunno, I wasn't that moved by the letters, but I agree that some were very emotionally written.
Sn
Got this from my love as a present for my birthday this year, only got the chance to read it now. She's a great lover of mine.
Kristi
Not all love letters. But why don't ordinary people speak and write this eloquently anymore?
Nina Jaquelle
Nina Jaquelle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
plamie
plamie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sofia Lima
Sofia Lima marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Tatiana Okhrimets
Tatiana Okhrimets marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Filiz
Filiz marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
  • The Letters of Virginia Woolf: Vol. One, 1888-1912
  • The Essential Rilke
  • Selected Poems
  • The Modern Gentleman: A Guide to Essential Manners, Savvy and Vice
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Publish and Perish: Three Tales of Tenure and Terror
Love Letters of Great Men Love Letters Of Great Men And Women Love Letters II: liefdesbrieven van Josephien Napoleon Emily Dickcinson Belle van Zuylen Anna Blaman Bobby Learns A Lesson