Start by marking “Immortality Option” as Want to Read:
Immortality Option

Immortality Option (Code of the Lifemaker #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"[Hogan] once again demonstrates his mastery"-Publisher's Weekly ****

"...on the cutting edge of technology...Hogan's talent carries the reader from peak to peak in the story"-Booklist ****

"In the grand tradition of the classic super-science stories, but with more exciting science and with better writing too. What more can anyone want?"-Isaac Asimov ****

In this spectacul
Published (first published January 31st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Immortality Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortality Option

Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is a sequel to The Code of the Lifemaker. I really liked that one beyond expectations. Unlike other Hogan books I'd read, it was well-paced, not preachy or of any recognizably political flavor, was free of eye-glazing over-detail--and had an original premise: On Titan, abandoned machines of a dead alien civilization have evolved a mechanical "biosphere" of robots. It had characters more memorable than usual for Hogan, particularly Karl Zambendorf, purported psychic, who returns in this book ...more
Gary Holt
I did not like this one nearly as much as its predecessor, The Code of the Lifemaker. This continues the story from that volume by filling in what is happening to the aliens, and how this whole thing worked out.

It was interesting, it held my attention, but it's probably not something I will ever reread. I had some trouble believing the ending was "plausible", whatever plausible means in this science-fiction world.
Charles
I loved the first book. The idea of a mechanical version of a biosphere with evolution and DNA and everything was awesome. This didn't add much new. There were the creator aliens, that were kind of annoying because they were jerks.

The plot took a sudden left turn, like the book became a different book.

I think I remember liking the main character before. Today I might not be so impressed by the "smartest guy in the room, who is also a conman" type character. He was not featured so much in this,
Gwyn Rees
May 02, 2015 Gwyn Rees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Follows on from the Code of the Lifemaker - enjoyed more about the Taloids
Sean Randall
Sep 18, 2010 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb continuation with characters we've grown to, if not love, at least admire somewhat. Some of the science is a little dry on occasion, but it all fits in so neatly and works with the story so well that it's not a problem. The sheer audacity of card tricks fooling a super artificial intelligence kept me chuckling and chortling, and the pace picked up marvelously toward the end in a similar way to Realtime Interrupt.
Jason
Feb 16, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, robots
This is the sequel to Code of the Lifemaker. Here we get to meet the creators of the Taloids from the first book. It was a fun book that came at the story from two directions: from the view of the robots and from the creators.
Bradley
Mar 28, 2009 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story a lot. I realize it is far from my normal fantasy but this scifi kept itself together and produced a good story with plenty of flow and interesting science to keep me entertained. I like it. =)
Jerry
Jul 26, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting novel. This book is sort of a sequel to Code of the Lifemaker (another good Hogan novel). The continuing story of a society of evolved sentient androids and how they came to be.
Julie S.
Feb 13, 2011 Julie S. marked it as own-unsorted  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I have this book, but it says that it's a sequel to Code of The Lifemaker. I will have to find a copy of that first to see if I want to read (or even keep) this book.
Charles
Jun 17, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good. Hogan is incredibly imaginative and couples that with excellent writing skills and inventive plots. I have a signed copy of this.
Master Melvin M.  Lusterio
I'm finished reading this book. I learned that the human race can conquer the universe with the help of GENIUS and the LIFEMAKER.
Philip
Mar 21, 2013 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The intro dragged a bit much for being a sequel, but the end payoff was good.
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Ed Kay
Ed Kay rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Stuart
Stuart added it
May 22, 2016
Jim Monroe
Jim Monroe rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Herb
Herb rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Katherine Youngs
Katherine Youngs rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Doug Swisher
Doug Swisher marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Nestor Pires Filho
Nestor Pires Filho rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Sue Law
Sue Law rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Tomlikeslife
Tomlikeslife marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Robert John
Robert John marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
LR
LR rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Ubikuberalles
Ubikuberalles rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
My laptop computer is Genius 5! 1 3 Nov 26, 2009 11:34AM
  • Resurgence (Heritage Universe, #5)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Grantville Gazette VI (Grantville Gazette, #6)
  • Life Probe
  • Parallelities
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Quincey Morris, Vampire
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • A Darker Geometry (Man-Kzin Wars, #7.5)
  • License Invoked
  • Planets of Adventure
  • The Truth Machine
  • Man-Kzin Wars X: The Wunder War
  • Evolution's Shore
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Turn the Other Chick (Chicks in Chainmail, #5)
James Patrick Hogan was a British science fiction author.

Hogan was was raised in the Portobello Road area on the west side of London. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, he worked various odd jobs until, after receiving a scholarship, he began a five-year program at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough covering the practical and theoretical sides of electrical, electronic, and m
More about James P. Hogan...

Code of the Lifemaker (2 books)
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)