Start by marking “Raggedy Andy Stories” as Want to Read:
Raggedy Andy Stories

Raggedy Andy Stories

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  229 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Since Raggedy Andy first appeared in print in 1920, he has delighted millions of readers with his adventurous spirit and compassionate nature. Now he returns to captivate a new generation in this carefully produced reissue, which restores the book to its original appearance. All the original stories are here, as Raggedy Andy arrives in the mail at Marcella's father's offic ...more
Published September 30th 1993 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Raggedy Andy Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raggedy Andy Stories

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Children's Lit Before 1923
79th out of 217 books — 65 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloCorduroy by Don FreemanRaggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle
Children's Literature - Sentient Toys
57th out of 101 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Debbie Zapata
Dec 07, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eyesome
I don't usually expect to get all misty-eyed in the very first chapter of any book, especially an innocent children's book like Raggedy Andy Stories. But that is what happened, all because of the way we are introduced to Raggedy Andy.

First we read a letter written to the author. Was it a real letter? I don't know, but wouldn't it be lovely to believe it was! In the letter the writer tells how when she was a little girl she had a favorite doll named Raggedy Andy, which had belonged to her mother
Melissa
Apr 25, 2007 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me shudder. Johnny Gruelle is so very syrupy that it makes me want to gag but my girls like the stories. And listening to the book did encourage them to get out and play with the Raggedy Dolls my Mom made for them.
Heather
I am reading this with my two youngest (8 and 5)...and their older brothers keep sneaking over to listen.

One of the aunts made a Raggedy Andy doll for the 5-year-old so we got some books to learn about him. So far, the boys love them and ask for more than 2 stories a day. Last night my little guy came to me with the book and said, "Can we read some more? I'm finding that I really love this book." Oh, bless his heart....he knows how to make a mama smile!

March 22nd - Holy Cow! Raggedy Andy fell do
PennsyLady (Bev)
Jan 16, 2016 PennsyLady (Bev) rated it really liked it
by Johnny Gruelle

First published in 1918....this book is a reproduction with original sketches....
"totally delightful"
Laura Anaya
Jul 15, 2014 Laura Anaya rated it it was amazing
Really adorable book that my grandmother gave to me and we read, we cuddled up and enjoyed the cute stories!
Mitch
Feb 08, 2010 Mitch rated it liked it
Read this at work (I work in a child care program) and found it interesting. Although it is a children's book, it is much longer than one would expect and with very little pictures. The chapters are long and detailed, and the illustrations it does have are very vibrant and colourful. What I thought was neat about this book was that it is a classic from 1920 and the reader gets a first-hand glimpse of what childhood was like in the United States in the early 1920's. Not bad!
Brenda
Dec 04, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
There is wisdom in this children's story book. Why do as adults we feel it frivolous to occasionally read a child's book? We can gain wisdom. My favorite quote from this one is "They who are the most unselfish are the ones who gain the greatest joy; because they give happiness to others."
- Johnny Gruelle
Melissa
Jun 06, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
These are cute and sweet. It's a perfect book for a child who likes some pictures but a more involved story. I can't say any one story stood out or any one character, but they are stories full of kindness and goodness which is what little ears love to hear.
Mimi
Aug 04, 2014 Mimi rated it really liked it
I read and re-read this book as a young girl. It occurred to me I'd not read them in a very long time, so I picked them up for a re-visit. What a delightful group of stories.
Zinger
Mar 21, 2011 Zinger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I read this to my daughter and might have given it two stars, but she liked it...and that was the purpose of reading it. I can see the influence this book had on movie Toy Story.
Jan 07, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Aaron (6) really liked this one! Much more than expected! Off to read Raggedy Ann Stories next
ABC
Dec 18, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
This wasn't as cute as the Raggedy Ann book, but still pretty darn cute.
AnnieM
Dec 27, 2012 AnnieM rated it liked it
A childhood favorite revisited.
Kathy
May 23, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
brought back a lot of memories
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Debbie Ruryk
Debbie Ruryk marked it as to-read
Josephine DeLine
Josephine DeLine marked it as to-read
Shirley Rotzoll
Shirley Rotzoll marked it as to-read
Eric Coop
Eric Coop rated it it was amazing
LT
LT rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Melaine
Melaine marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Roslyn Horton
Roslyn Horton rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Apollo & Sky
Apollo & Sky rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Andrea Fleury
Andrea Fleury rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Merav Hoffman
Merav Hoffman marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
robin williams
robin williams rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Tiffiny
Tiffiny is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Around the Year i...: Raggedy Andy Stories, by Johnny Gruelle 1 8 Feb 11, 2016 10:31PM
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • Buffalo Bill
  • The Adventures of Johnny Chuck
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • Pirates in Oz (Book 25)
  • Uncle Scrooge: The Seven Cities of Gold (The Carl Barks Library, #14)
  • Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Son of the Sun (The Don Rosa Library, #1)
  • The Snow Queen
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • Paddington Races Ahead (Paddington, #13)
  • The Children's Book of Heroes
Johnny Gruelle was an American artist, political cartoonist, children's book author and illustrator (and even songwriter). He is known as the creator of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. He had such confidence in his design that often he would create the final ink work without first sketching in pencil.

More about Johnny Gruelle...