Start by marking “Halloween Night” as Want to Read:
Halloween Night

Halloween Night

Trick or treat!

It's Halloween night and all are preparing, for a wickedly wonderful evening of scaring. With zombies and banshees and mummies galore, read this book once and you'll come back for more!

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 7/27/2010 Pages: 40 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published July 27th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published July 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Night

Heather
Oct 31, 2016 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Hussey
Oct 31, 2016 Andrea Hussey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Monster
“Twas Halloween night, and all through the house/Every creature was stirring, including the mouse”.

So begins one of the stranger variations on “ Twas the Night Before Christmas”, where instead of greeting Santa Claus, the residents of a haunted house prepare for their visitors. The illustrations are a dead giveaway that readers should expect a tickle to the funny bone. There’s a significant “gross-out” factor that’s aided considerably by the illustrations- it’s one thing to read about ogres set
David
Halloween Night by Marjorie Dennis Murray, illustrated by Brandon Dorman is a variation on The Night Before Christmas focusing on a monsterous Halloween celebration.

Dorman's detailed illustrations, both funny and creepy, were made using digital art. My favorite images are mummies, creepies, buffet, 10 tricksters, shivers, monsters, enjoyed and leftovers.

This rhyming treat features a witch, zombies, mummies, pumpkins, green creepies, a ghost, banshees, bats, ravens, harpies, amd a two headed host
Heather
38 months - Stories written based on the 12 Days of Christmas and The Night Before Christmas drive me nuts...there are so many of them that it's tiresome even if on occasion the words and illustrations are top notch. I would just prefer reading something original.
Alicia
Mar 07, 2017 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Halloween is one of our favorite holidays! This is a cute story about what the monsters, witches, and ghouls get up to on Halloween night!
Amy
Sep 16, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title is Halloween Night and it is written by Marjorie Dennis and illustrated by Brandon Dorman. The publisher is Greenwillow Books and it was published in 2008. The book has not received any awards so far but it is a fantasitic poetry book. The plot of the book starts on Halloween night in an old scary house. In the house there is a witch, some goblins, zombies, an ogre, an Olaf, and bats all preparing Halloween treats. The treats are filled with bugs, eyeballs and other treats for the litt ...more
Laurie
Nov 08, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharron Thornton
This delightful story is a Halloween word play on The Night Before Christmas. The story begins by describing a haunted house full of creepy creatures: "Stiff-legged zombies awoke from the dead, As moth-eaten mummies arose from their beds".
When ten young tricksters approach the house,an ugly witch invites them in: "Come in!" said the witch. "Please be our guests. Come to our party! We've put out our best!" The children peeked through the open door and saw a table full of goodies: "fishtail, st
Margaret Chind
While nearly too scary with plenty of halloween gouls and more this is a neat read to add to the seasonal stack with a poetry akin to "the night before Christmas". It pleasing the ears and humorous to the right audience. My girls won't read ot alone, but they'll gladly snuggle up and read it aloud with me. The illustrations are amusing and full of hints to see as well.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expr
Alyn
Oct 17, 2012 Alyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this book from the public library to read to my 4 yr old son. He's a very picky boy. I thought he might not like it but he loved it.

The book has just about everything that has to do with Halloween and more. We get to see witches, ghosts, mummies and banshees. There are a lot of things to look at and my son enjoyed counting the number of pumpkins on a page.

The book is also a very easy read. There are usually 3-5 sentences on each page which makes it a quick read too. I don't find myself goin
babyhippoface
A Halloween take-off on Clement Moore's "Night Before Christmas", as the witch and all her ghastly friends (mummies, banshees, bats, zombies, and more) prepare for a fantastic, frightening Halloween party. Scary decorations and sickly snacks are put out for all to enjoy, and all the monsters are ready for fun when they hear the doorbell ring and a group of costumed children shouting, "Trick-or-Treat!" Brandon Dorman's illustrations are wonderfully creepy and comical, perfect for the tone of this ...more
Keegan
Dec 11, 2014 Keegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So somehow this ended up in our library collection along with the Christmas books when my four-year-old stumbled on it and requested it. I thought I was too Halloween-ed out for now, but this is really a delightful Halloween book! It parallels "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and my kids recognized that really early on, but of course has its own story. The illustrations are beautiful and really drew my kids (4 & 6) in. Even the older one (who can read) would sit and stare at the pictures a ...more
Tara
Nov 01, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." It's a fun take on that poem for Hallowe'en. We follow ghouls and ghosts and other scary things as they throw a party on Hallowe'en. The poem is fun and the illustrations are fantastic. The illustrations are so detailed that they could be looked at for hours and hours to see everything that's in them. This book stands up to multiple readings and is easily a yearly favourite.
Rosa Cline
Nov 02, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween
This one is full of the traditional Halloween 'characters' witches, ghosts, ghouls, etc So it may scare they younger readers-listeners. Especially the illustrations. They were really good, but sometimes too good (for a young child) My 3 year old granddaughter seemed a little scared at times but then at other times she was okay with the story.
Jen
Oct 24, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very neat Halloween book about creatures having a party at a haunted house and some tricksters who show up there, but aren't really happy with what they find! My elementary students have enjoyed this book this week and some have said they'd stay for the party and others have said that they'd run as fast as they could AWAY from it!
Candice
my daughter didn't even want me to finish this book when I read it to her. Half way through it she closed it and went to find me another book to read to her. Which she never does. I think the illustrations scared her. I loved the illustrations (for an older child) but the story line is a little weak
Jesika La Bryer
Sep 23, 2011 Jesika La Bryer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This was another great Halloween book. The rhymes on each page add to the delight of celebrating Halloween and the festivals associated with it. My 6 year old loved this one, he was engrossed by the description of the characters and the illustrations. This book could lead to a great poetry assignment.
Copyright 2010
Kristy McRae
Oct 18, 2014 Kristy McRae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son brought this one home from the library. Cute, fun Halloween story. The illustrations are what really make this one fabulous! So many great details, spooky creatures, gross-outs (like jars of eyeballs)! We loved it!
Alexandra Sinkus
Sep 30, 2013 Alexandra Sinkus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fab-40-file
1. Poetry
2. None
3. K-2
4. This story is perfect for around Halloween. It is a good mixture of gross and spooky. The children would enjoy the detailed pictures. I would have the kids do an art activity of what they would be dressing up for Halloween.
Jolene
Dec 04, 2009 Jolene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 3-7 years old. Halloween lovers.
Halloween Night by Majorie Dennis Murray/Illustrations by Brandon Dorman. A witty and rhyming take on "The Night Before Christmas." The drawing and ryhming text are very charming and would make an excellent storytime treat for 3-7 year olds.
Noel Arndt Caryl
I read Nancy Pearl's "Book Crush" which is books for kids. This is one of the books she suggested and of the recent storybooks we read, this was one of the best.
Danielle Long
Mar 05, 2009 Danielle Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Yet another cover of "The Night before Christmas" Halloween style! Love, Love, and Love this book!
Karen
Jan 08, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-out-loud
A spin on "Twas the night before Christmas..."
Christian McKay
Oct 27, 2013 Christian McKay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great rhyme scheme, creepy art, cute ending. Couldn't ask for much more from a Halloween story.
Jennybug
This is a great book for anyone who loves Halloween!
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
The boychild was not quite ready for Halloween to be over, so he grabbed this one from the library.

Set to "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Very cute. The illustrations were great.
Christina
Oct 27, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy cow! I read this one to the kiddos, it was actually kind of scary for tiny guys. But, I loved it!
Sarah Curtis
Sep 24, 2013 Sarah Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE this book! My son wants to read it every night before bed, and I don't mind at all!! The illustrations are so cute.
Mevia
Sep 16, 2012 Mevia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for the pictures alone. Amazing illustrations.
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library