Start by marking “Darwin's Wink: A Novel of Nature and Love” as Want to Read:
Darwin's Wink: A Novel of Nature and Love

Darwin's Wink: A Novel of Nature and Love

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Alison Anderson's Darwin's Wink is the story of an exquisite romance between two naturalists working to save a rare bird species on an island off the coast of Mauritius. Both are devastated by their pasts: Fran mourns the unexplained death of her Mauritian lover; Christian, a former Red Cross worker, has recently left war-torn Bosnia after the mysterious disappearance of h ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Picador (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Darwin's Wink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darwin's Wink

Carmela
Couldn't put the book down. Great descriptions.
Barbara
The plot and setting were interesting (biologists pursuing romance and endangered species on an equatorial island off the coast of Africa, and the thing that kept me reading was wanting to see what would happen next. The writing, though, keeps the reader at arm's length from the characters. The narration is indirect, no actual dialogue or thoughts, all third person omniscient and telling the story from a distance.
Hilary
The storyline had so much potential - it sounded like such a fun book when I read the blurb on the book jacket. Unfortunately, it didn't end up being nearly as good as I had hoped. The characters are distant - I couldn't get invested in them, didn't feel connected at all. The story was told holding a 39-foot pole. I really wanted to like it, but the way it was written, I just couldn't.
Charles Samuels
I was a bit surprised at how poorly the character, Fran, (an ornithologist and conservationist) seemed to understand Darwinian theory. Then again, the book smacks of Harlequin romance novel meets literature, and more the former than the latter. In short: by a woman, for women. Still, it isn't badly written. It's worth a look, just know what you're getting into.
Mike
Please read my review of Hidden Latitudes to learn why I so love Anderson's writing.
Pam
Dec 08, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
12/08 rec via pbs
Cassie Hunter
Cassie Hunter marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Elizabeth Bedwell
Elizabeth Bedwell marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kathleen Finucane
Kathleen Finucane marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Tamara
Tamara added it
Apr 15, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Tamara Seeker
Tamara Seeker marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Janie Baker
Janie Baker marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Angela
Angela added it
Jan 31, 2013
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Hidden Latitudes: A Novel of Amelia Earhart Media, Culture and the Environment The Changing Consumer: Markets and Meanings The Elegance of the Hedgehog Gourmet Rhapsody