Start by marking “The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place” as Want to Read:
The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  3,469 ratings  ·  373 reviews
I Prefer Not To....

That's Margaret Rose Kane's response to every activity she's asked to participate in at the summer camp to which she's been exiled while her parents are in Peru. So Margaret Rose is delighted when her beloved uncles rescue her from Camp Talequa, with its uptight camp director and cruel cabinmates, and bring her to stay with them at their wonderful hous
Published January 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, please sign up.

Jodi I probably would have predicted it anyway, but spoilers dude. Spoilers.

Clarice
this book would probably be good for someone else... i got it a few years ago and never got to finish it. i am giving it 2 stars because it makes a good pillow.
rivka
May 07, 2008 rivka rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers & others who never quite fit in
Recommended to rivka by: Lisa Vegan
E.L. Konigsberg's books are always excellent, but this was even better than most. Clearly based in part on the real-life story of the Watts Towers, Konigsberg used them as a starting point and an inspiration, but the towers in Outcasts are in most ways distinct from their real-life counterparts (and the resolution of their fate is as well).

Jumping back and forth between the narrator's present (spending the summer with her eccentric uncles) and recent past (the few tortuous weeks she spent in sum
Banzai
Nov 24, 2007 Banzai rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old souls and visionaries
Shelves: childrens-books
The author of the beloved "Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" has written another treasure. This one is the coziest little protest to gentrification you ever did read. Set in an older neighborhood in anytown, USA, two crumudgeonly Hungarian brothers, their incorrigible grandaughter, an Italian truffle-hunting dog and a hot summer camp janitor all work to save three glorious towers constructed by the Rose brothers in their own backyard from the evil, bland, homeowners association.

My fa
Robert Beveridge
E. L. Konigsburg, The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place (Atheneum, 2004)

What do you do when you're faced with the destruction of a local landmark? What do you do if that local landmark was built by your relatives? It's an interesting question, though on the surface one has to figure it's going to be pretty narrow-market subject matter. Pretty familiar territory to me, though, as my in-laws' parents and grandparents were intimately involved with the now-dismantled Euclid Beach Park (watch for the for
Janelle
Dawn
This is the first book I've read by e.l. konigsburg. What a great story of family love and loyalty. The characters are people I would love to meet and stage a revolution with!!
Sandra
In some ways, the actual plot of this novel is forgettable; I read two books sort of back to back (this one and Joan Bauer's Rules of the Road) and would say that Bauer's has the more compelling plot, in a way.
And Bauer's is written in an entertaining way that's sophisticated and insightful enough that adults should enjoy if (if YA lit is their cup of tea to begin with).

But nobody quite writes like e.l. konigsburg. (Does she always keep her name lower-case? That's how it's listed on the cover of
Kailie Diller
The Outcasts of 19 Svhuyler Place is about a girl named Margaret. Every summer she goes to her Uncles house, but this year she didn't. She went to camp instead. She was really excited at first but she realized that they were mean to her. Whenever they would do an activity she would say "I perfer not to." Uncle Alex finds out and comes to her rescue. He asks Jake, one of the workers at the camp, to take them home. When they got to 19 Schuyler Place Uncle Alex asked Jake if he wanted to stay for d ...more
Goodworth1
I loved this book. Such a beautiful story about being yourself, the value of family, and standing up for what you believe. I spent a pleasant afternoon at the pool with this book and enjoyed myself immensely. It flowed nicely between past and present and gently probed growing up issues such as bullying, first crushes, and independence. But for me the largest theme was that of family. A fiercely loyal, loving, and quirky group of family that loves you can help you through anything.
Spencer
We listened to this on CD while traveling from Idaho to Iowa. It proved to be an interesting book. I really liked the uncles, the house, the history, and the towers. After such a long build up to the climax, it seemed that the problem of the book was resolved a bit too quickly. I might have enjoyed know how things were worked out by a few of the other characters, though this would have been awkward, since it was written from the girl's point of view/
Lauren (Likes Literature)
This is a very quotable book.

"The only thing more destructive than someone who thinks his idea is the only possible correct one is a group of people who all think they and only they have the right answer."

The main character felt wise beyond her years, but not in a fictional or cheesy way. I liked all of the characters, even the antagonists, because they were so lifelike and they actually had depth.

I mean, what's not to like about this book? The wise uncles were awesome:

Time is not money, Mrs.
Cheryl
I enjoyed this before Silent to the Bone. Totally not necessary to read both, in either order, except that they're both so very good. The kids are a little too pure of spirit, and the humor a little too subtle - do realize that Konigsburg doesn't coddle the reader. If you're ready for something thoughtful, read these.
♥Robin ♥
This was a really cute quick read. I loved Margaret Rose and her unlces and found them quite funny at times. The book started off good but then got kind of draggy and boring in the middle. I wasn't expecting the ending and was a little disappointed with how rushed it seemed. The flashbacks were alright but a little confusing at times. Overall, I enjoyed this one and may look into other books by this author.
Allison
The art-mystery elements and also the quick climax and resolution reminded me a LOT of a recent favourite book of mine, Chasing Vermeer, which is inspired by Konigsburg's style (says the author). So comparison is inevitable.

I liked the characters of Chasing Vermeer better. I find them warmer. The characters in this Konigsburg book are awfully cold and distant and self-possessed. I also wanted more closure about all the relationships, e.g. Mrs. Kaplan (camp director). Anyway, the camp stuff was i
Joey
I really loved this book. Margaret Rose is a unique, fresh voice, while only twelve, is surprisingly fun to listen to. I am a Konigsburg fan and this book does not disappoint, at least until the very end. I was just a little frustrated by how she wrapped things up. Jake and Loretta ending up together made no sense at all given his free spirited personality.
Anne
― E.L. Konigsburg, The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

This book is oozing with awesomeness! Totally loved it. Such a beautiful coming-of-age story about being yourself, and standing up for what you believe. It delves on growing up issues such as bullying, first loves, independence, and the value of family.

A very
Abigail Hamilton
I remember vaguely reading it, but it was over 5 years ago. At the time, I liked it (there is a good feeling associated with it), but it was no comparison to Konigsburg other book, The mixed up files

Somewhere back in my memory, I remember enjoying the part where she decides to live in a tree. I've always wanted to do that.
Tamara
This is a fun book that any girl can relate to. The main character goes to summer camp and must endure the typical "mean girls". Just reading about them made me want to go to Camp Talequa, find them, and slap them! The story extends past that experience and paints a pretty picture of love and family.
Jessie
A big fan of E.L. Konigsburg since third grade when I first read From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler. This is an empowering tale for any middl-schooler in your life!
Summer Turner
I really enjoyed this book!

I have read it in the past. But since I am studying this author, I chose to listen to this book on audible.

I love the protagonists in this book. They are so enjoyable, funny, and intelligent. On the other hand, the antagonists were thoroughly enjoyable to despise. I was laughing out loud throughout the reading. The audible version was read by Molly Ringwald who did a great job, especially with the great uncle's accents. I enjoyed that the author didn't end the story th
Ruth Ann
Thank you - Goodreads Friends - for reminding me of so many wonderful books that I have yet to add to my Goodreads account! I wonder how many I don't yet know about??
Alex Gao
It was a pretty good book. I only rated it three because my standards for books are high.
Jerry Lu
The beginning was ok, yet the ending was powerful and great.
Guinevere
E.L. Konigsburg is such a clever writer - and I have to say that when I got to the point in this book where now there was "a purpose," I felt disappointed. Made me think of comedian Mitch Hedberg's comments about Ritz crackers - all the ads on the box about what you can put on it, made him feel like they have no faith in the product itself! I felt like Konigsburg is good enough that she can just write and we don't need an outline of where this is all going, and that having that purpose or missio ...more
Kevin Jung
Good Very good ending but the dog died.....
Catherine
I would have given this book four stars if Konigburg had stuck the landing, but the ending is wrapped too quickly - too neatly with a nice little bow, and I hated who Jake ended up with - really?!

That being said, I enjoyed the characters, the style of the writing, the towers, the uncles, and the dog. I loved that Margaret was able to stand up for what she believed in although she was a bit bull-headed with a lot of things, but she had to be bull-headed to do what she needed to do. I think I want
Ebster Davis
I'm reading this story now, on page 105.

My favorite part so far is her strong sense of "self"; her identity, family and heritage, determines how she thinks of herself and how she sees the world instead of how others perceive her. Very meaningful and it gives her the potential to be a very powerful character, although I doubt the author will go in that direction.

My least favorite part is how the author is basically conveying principles and quirks of sociology and psychology in lieu of of forward
Josiah
There are few writers—particularly writers of juvenile literature—who can match E.L. Konigsburg's ability to fashion stories of such admirable wit and sophistication, which is a trademark of all her books. E.L. Konigsburg is, truly, the "thinking kid's author", pandering to no low common denominator, but instead populating her narrative with intelligent characters who think for themselves and approach their difficulties with sound problem-solving acumen.

Margaret Rose Kane, only twelve years ol
Arminzerella
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • The Liberation of Gabriel King
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • Here Today
  • Heartbeat
  • Seedfolks
  • What Would Joey Do? (Joey Pigza, #3)
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • Fairy Tales
  • The Same Stuff as Stars
  • My One Hundred Adventures (My One Hundred Adventures #1)
  • The Center of Everything
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg was an American author and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She was the only author to win the Newbery Medal and a Newbery Honor in the same year (1968), with her second and first books respectively: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth. Kongisburg won a second Newbery ...more
More about E.L. Konigsburg...
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler The View from Saturday Silent to the Bone Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

“Every now and then, a person must do something simply because he wants to, because it seems to him worth doing. And that does not make it worthless or a waste of time.” 26 likes
“They are saying that if life has a structure, a staff, a sensible scaffold, we hang our nonsense on it. And they are saying that broken parts add color and music to the staff of life.” 7 likes