Start by marking “The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place” as Want to Read:
The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,286 ratings  ·  351 reviews
I Prefer Not To....

That's Margaret Rose Kane's response to every activity she's asked to participate in at the summer camp to which she's been exiled while her parents are in Peru. So Margaret Rose is delighted when her beloved uncles rescue her from Camp Talequa, with its uptight camp director and cruel cabinmates, and bring her to stay with them at their wonderful hous...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

Clarice
this book would probably be good for someone else... i got it a few years ago and never got to finish it. i am giving it 2 stars because it makes a good pillow.
rivka
May 07, 2008 rivka rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers & others who never quite fit in
Recommended to rivka by: Lisa Vegan
E.L. Konigsberg's books are always excellent, but this was even better than most. Clearly based in part on the real-life story of the Watts Towers, Konigsberg used them as a starting point and an inspiration, but the towers in Outcasts are in most ways distinct from their real-life counterparts (and the resolution of their fate is as well).

Jumping back and forth between the narrator's present (spending the summer with her eccentric uncles) and recent past (the few tortuous weeks she spent in sum...more
Banzai
Nov 24, 2007 Banzai rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old souls and visionaries
Shelves: childrens-books
The author of the beloved "Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" has written another treasure. This one is the coziest little protest to gentrification you ever did read. Set in an older neighborhood in anytown, USA, two crumudgeonly Hungarian brothers, their incorrigible grandaughter, an Italian truffle-hunting dog and a hot summer camp janitor all work to save three glorious towers constructed by the Rose brothers in their own backyard from the evil, bland, homeowners association.

My fa...more
Robert Beveridge
E. L. Konigsburg, The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place (Atheneum, 2004)

What do you do when you're faced with the destruction of a local landmark? What do you do if that local landmark was built by your relatives? It's an interesting question, though on the surface one has to figure it's going to be pretty narrow-market subject matter. Pretty familiar territory to me, though, as my in-laws' parents and grandparents were intimately involved with the now-dismantled Euclid Beach Park (watch for the for...more
Dawn
This is the first book I've read by e.l. konigsburg. What a great story of family love and loyalty. The characters are people I would love to meet and stage a revolution with!!
Goodworth1
I loved this book. Such a beautiful story about being yourself, the value of family, and standing up for what you believe. I spent a pleasant afternoon at the pool with this book and enjoyed myself immensely. It flowed nicely between past and present and gently probed growing up issues such as bullying, first crushes, and independence. But for me the largest theme was that of family. A fiercely loyal, loving, and quirky group of family that loves you can help you through anything.
Spencer
We listened to this on CD while traveling from Idaho to Iowa. It proved to be an interesting book. I really liked the uncles, the house, the history, and the towers. After such a long build up to the climax, it seemed that the problem of the book was resolved a bit too quickly. I might have enjoyed know how things were worked out by a few of the other characters, though this would have been awkward, since it was written from the girl's point of view/
Lauren (Likes Literature)
This is a very quotable book.

"The only thing more destructive than someone who thinks his idea is the only possible correct one is a group of people who all think they and only they have the right answer."

The main character felt wise beyond her years, but not in a fictional or cheesy way. I liked all of the characters, even the antagonists, because they were so lifelike and they actually had depth.

I mean, what's not to like about this book? The wise uncles were awesome:

Time is not money, Mrs....more
Cheryl in CC NV
I enjoyed this before Silent to the Bone. Totally not necessary to read both, in either order, except that they're both so very good. The kids are a little too pure of spirit, and the humor a little too subtle - do realize that Konigsburg doesn't coddle the reader. If you're ready for something thoughtful, read these.
♥Robin ♥
This was a really cute quick read. I loved Margaret Rose and her unlces and found them quite funny at times. The book started off good but then got kind of draggy and boring in the middle. I wasn't expecting the ending and was a little disappointed with how rushed it seemed. The flashbacks were alright but a little confusing at times. Overall, I enjoyed this one and may look into other books by this author.
Joey
I really loved this book. Margaret Rose is a unique, fresh voice, while only twelve, is surprisingly fun to listen to. I am a Konigsburg fan and this book does not disappoint, at least until the very end. I was just a little frustrated by how she wrapped things up. Jake and Loretta ending up together made no sense at all given his free spirited personality.
Anne
― E.L. Konigsburg, The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

This book is oozing with awesomeness! Totally loved it. Such a beautiful coming-of-age story about being yourself, and standing up for what you believe. It delves on growing up issues such as bullying, first loves, independence, and the value of family.

A very...more
Abigail Hamilton
I remember vaguely reading it, but it was over 5 years ago. At the time, I liked it (there is a good feeling associated with it), but it was no comparison to Konigsburg other book, The mixed up files

Somewhere back in my memory, I remember enjoying the part where she decides to live in a tree. I've always wanted to do that.
Tamara
This is a fun book that any girl can relate to. The main character goes to summer camp and must endure the typical "mean girls". Just reading about them made me want to go to Camp Talequa, find them, and slap them! The story extends past that experience and paints a pretty picture of love and family.
Jessie
A big fan of E.L. Konigsburg since third grade when I first read From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler. This is an empowering tale for any middl-schooler in your life!
Ruth Ann
Thank you - Goodreads Friends - for reminding me of so many wonderful books that I have yet to add to my Goodreads account! I wonder how many I don't yet know about??
Guinevere
E.L. Konigsburg is such a clever writer - and I have to say that when I got to the point in this book where now there was "a purpose," I felt disappointed. Made me think of comedian Mitch Hedberg's comments about Ritz crackers - all the ads on the box about what you can put on it, made him feel like they have no faith in the product itself! I felt like Konigsburg is good enough that she can just write and we don't need an outline of where this is all going, and that having that purpose or missio...more
Catherine
I would have given this book four stars if Konigburg had stuck the landing, but the ending is wrapped too quickly - too neatly with a nice little bow, and I hated who Jake ended up with - really?!

That being said, I enjoyed the characters, the style of the writing, the towers, the uncles, and the dog. I loved that Margaret was able to stand up for what she believed in although she was a bit bull-headed with a lot of things, but she had to be bull-headed to do what she needed to do. I think I want...more
Ebster Davis
I'm reading this story now, on page 105.

My favorite part so far is her strong sense of "self"; her identity, family and heritage, determines how she thinks of herself and how she sees the world instead of how others perceive her. Very meaningful and it gives her the potential to be a very powerful character, although I doubt the author will go in that direction.

My least favorite part is how the author is basically conveying principles and quirks of sociology and psychology in lieu of of forward...more
Josiah
There are few writers—particularly writers of juvenile literature—who can match E.L. Konigsburg's ability to fashion stories of such admirable wit and sophistication, which is a trademark of all her books. E.L. Konigsburg is, truly, the "thinking kid's author", pandering to no low common denominator, but instead populating her narrative with intelligent characters who think for themselves and approach their difficulties with sound problem-solving acumen.

Margaret Rose Kane, only twelve years ol...more
Arminzerella
S.A. Partridge
I get excited when I find a good young adult novel. The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place is fast-paced and funny, centering on a smart, witty girl who is everything a young adult should be.
12 year old Margaret Rose Kane decides to pack it in after a disastrous spell at summer camp where a group of very nasty and very unladylike girls decide to make her life a living hell.
She spends the rest of her holiday with her eccentric uncles whose entire lives have been devoted to constructing and maintainin...more
bookczuk
E.L. Konigsburg is the writer I want to be when I grow up. She paints her characters so beautifully, and so realistically. There is always a realisticcenter that the books center around, whether it's 3 towers built by Margaret Rose Kane's two uncles, an academic bowl (The View from Saturday), or my very favorite From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler, where two children run away, and end up living in a museum.

Like her other books, this one deals with a 12 year old beginning to unders...more
Bethany
Dear E.L. Konigsburg,

I think that I will forever hold a grudge against you for writing Silent to the Bone and against my library for putting it in the children's section. Reading it was such a bad experience that it kept me away from all of your really good books for way too many years! WHY?!

Okay, now I just want to say that I really like The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place. I love Margaret Rose; she is so smart and funny! She and her uncles are so special. I love all of them. They are artsy, bril...more
NCPL Teenzone
Have you ever uttered the phrase “I prefer not to”? Like I prefer not to take out the garbage or I prefer not to eat tomatoes. I prefer not to make my bed or go out in freezing cold weather. How about I prefer not to do that math assignment or my homework? I’m sure at one point or another we’ve all preferred not to do something. Margaret Rose Kane would have preferred to spend her summer with her parents in Peru or with her eccentric uncles at 19 Schuyler Place. But neither her parents nor the U...more
Althea Ann
"I picked this up because I'd read several of Konigsburg's books when I was very young, and really liked them, esp. "Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth" and "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler."
What struck me though, is that although this book is marketed as a kids' book, probably because that's what the author is known for, it really isn't. Although the protagonist is 12, the story is told from the point of view of an adult looking back at being 12,...more
Heather Pearson
Margaret's parents are in Peru for the summer and her beloved Uncles Alex and Morris have declined to let her visit with them for the vacation, so she picks a summer camp to attend. Unfortunately she doesn't like it there one bit and refuses to participate in any of the activities.

That being said, this story really isn't about that summer camp, it's about adults and what they want to do and why they want to do it. It's also about why it takes a child to point out the error of their ways. Margar...more
Amanda
I remember reading this years ago and loving it then. I love it now too. It has great characters, a great plot line, and a great message. Margaret Rose Kane is at summer camp while her parents are in Peru. It all starts when she says, "I prefer not to", when asked to do an activity. She doesn't say no, yet everyone acts as if she does. Margaret is pulled into the camp director's office several times and sent to the nurse's office. But no one knows what is wrong is with her, so eventually her Unc...more
Rebekah
The Outcasts of Schuyler Place
E.L. Konigsburg

In the Outcasts of Schuyler Place Margaret Rose Kane wants to go to a summer camp but her parents are going to Peru. So when Margaret finds out she gets to go because her uncles are willing to take her at their place on 19 Schuyler Place. While she is there she finds out that the neighbor wants to knock down the towers that her uncles built by hand. She is very determined to not let this happen.

I thought that this book was very well written. The res...more
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • NonNonBa
  • The Word Eater
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
  • Love, Ruby Lavender
  • The 6th Grade Nickname Game
  • The Liberation of Gabriel King
  • Squashed
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • What Would Joey Do? (Joey Pigza, #3)
  • How Loathsome
  • White Fur Flying
  • Chasing Redbird
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady and Other School Stories
  • Seedfolks
  • The Schwa Was Here (Antsy Bonano, #1)
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg was an American author and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She was the only author to win the Newbery Medal and a Newbery Honor in the same year (1968), with her second and first books respectively: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth. Kongisburg won a second Newbery...more
More about E.L. Konigsburg...
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler The View from Saturday Silent to the Bone Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

“Every now and then, a person must do something simply because he wants to, because it seems to him worth doing. And that does not make it worthless or a waste of time.” 24 likes
“They are saying that if life has a structure, a staff, a sensible scaffold, we hang our nonsense on it. And they are saying that broken parts add color and music to the staff of life.” 7 likes