En las Piernas de Mamá / On Mother's Lap

En las Piernas de Mamá / On Mother's Lap

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  41 reviews
There is always room on mother's lap--and this simple tender story is now available in Spanish and English.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published February 19th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about En las Piernas de Mamá / On Mother's Lap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about En las Piernas de Mamá / On Mother's Lap

Kathryn
Very sweet story of a mother's all encompassing love as shown through her lap where there is "always room." The illustrations are lovely. I like the interesting setting (an Inuit village) compared to many of this type of book. I also like that the little boy has a doll. A dear book!
Connie
First, let me note for those interested in the subject that this book shows babywearing on the cover.

But that's really just a lagniappe in a good book.

Michael is, as you can guess, sitting on his mother's lap, and he keeps getting down and fetching more and more of his special things to be with him. Eventually all this wakes his sister, and his mother goes to sit her on her lap as well, and he makes room and they snuggle together.

The author doesn't patronize kids by carefully spelling out "Micha...more
Renee
I remember first coming across this story when I was looking for books about families having a new baby. This book has a sweet message about even though there is a new baby in the family, there is always enough room on mother's lap for all her children. I love the repetition of this book "back and forth, back and forth they rocked." My kids love moving back and forth was we read this. When my son was younger, it was a sweet rock back and forth. Now that the boys of 3 and 5, they like to be silly...more
Stephanie Delvecchio
Summary: The furnishings are few in this chilly Eskimo dwelling, but when Michael jumps in Mother's lap, the love between them warms the room, as "back and forth, back and forth, they rock." Michael runs to get Dolly, then his carved boat, a reindeer blanket and even his puppy: the small rocking chair is full. When Baby cries, Mother insists there's room for her too, but Michael pouts and hides. All of them end up back in the chair, crowded but cozy; Michael admits, "It feels good." Pastels in e...more
Maura
This book tells a story of a mother rocking her toddler sons in the rocking chair. The mother and her sons are of the Eskimo culture. The big brother keeps on bringing different objects to his mother's lap and cuddling with the objects and his mother. The baby bother wants to join in on the love fest, so his mother picks the baby up while still keeping everything in her lap. At the end of the book the mother tells her sons," There will always be room in my lap for ya'll." I really liked this boo...more
Lindsey Rogers
Set in an Eskimo dwelling, On Mother's Lap is a story about...can you guess? Yes you are right, a little boy sitting on his mother's lap. The little boy, Micheal, gets various toys and puts them on his mother's lap as well, but when Micheal's younger brother starts crying he says that there is not anymore room. The mother insists that there is always room on a mother's lap. I really think this is a nice story for a child to read with their mother at home, but not one that would be appropriate in...more
Sally Linford
Jan 28, 2010 Sally Linford rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who are adjusting to having a new baby in the house.
All my children loved this book, and that's really saying something. I have it memorized. This is one of those great books where the page turns happen fast enough, even for the kid listening.

The illustrations are beautiful and interesting, set in an Eskimo home. It works great for boys and girls. And, any kid with a younger sibling will especially enjoy it.

Michael wants to rock on his mother's lap with his dolly, boat, and reindeer blanket. "Back and forth, back and forth they rocked."

When baby...more
David
On Mother's Lap by Ann Herbert Scott, illustrated by Glo Coalson, is the story of a little Inuit boy, Michael, who discovers that there is room for himself and his baby sister on his mother's lap.

Coalson's pastel illustrations work well in this simple, loving story of boy adjusting to a new baby in the home. Scott's simple words and sentences make this a good read aloud for mother and child.

For ages 2 to 5, babies, siblings, family, mother-son, self-seteem, Inuit, and fans of Ann Herbert Scoot...more
Victoria Matthews
This is a book about a little Inuit boy sharing some time on his mother's lap. He discovers that he is able to be with his mom and his sibling. The illustrations depict the Inuit lifestyle. It is a good way to have a discussion about what kind of culture this character lives in.
Holly Thompson
Sweet story of how there is room for everyone on Mother's lap before bedtime. I make connections of having my little girl sit on my lap at bedtime, too.
Jessica Herd
I love this book! It is very cute and warm. The pictures are great as well. I would read this to younger children.
Azriana Johnson
On Mother's Lap is a story about a young boy named Michael who sits on his mothers lap and gathers all of his favorite items. Rocking back and forth, back and forth, the mother tells Michael that there is always enough room on Mother's lap, even for his younger sibling. As a teacher, I would not use this text in the classroom. I would not want to offend any of my students who are adopted or do not have parents. The illustrations in the sdents to focus on and feel a part of the story. This story...more
Seth
PB:30 On Mother's Lap. This book brings back great memories of snuggling with my Mom on her lap and to this day, I still snuggle close to my Mom because there is truly not a lot else like a mother's touch of love. The story was not that interesting but I am glad that Michael decided to let his sister snuggle too and being a good big brother. It teaches children to always share their mother's lap because there is always enough room on a Mommy's lap!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool
Media: pencil and ink
Illustrator Style: Large, simple pictures with plenty of white space for an early listener to focus

With Inuit characters, this universal storyline explores the loving embrace of a mother and how it may sometimes lead to jealousy and greed for the child. In the end, mother explains to the older brother that there is always room on mother’s lap for everyone—even baby brother—to sit.
Brenna
I loved this book. I had an edition from 1972 and from 1992, and the illustrations have changed over the years, which was really interesting to see. The mother in the 1972 edition looked more like a grandmother, and she was more rotund than the 1992 edition. It was the same illustrator, but she modified the illustrations, adding color and a more contemporary look to the newer edition.
Stephanie Watson
This book is great for young children. It is predictable and repetitive. This is great for children who are learning how to read.
Annie
Jul 13, 2007 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: childrens
It was a pleasure to read as a nap time story.
The illustrations depict the cozy Native American Inuit family in a way that makes me want to raise children in Alaska and be kind of poor, and a single mother.
The writing is kind of cheesy and sentimental. I guess that is the point of the book though.

June
May 07, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
One of my favorites to use with my Mothers story time. This year I had all the mothers rocking their children along with the story. 5/4/11

Used again this year and had many mothers rocking their babies in lap time. 5/8/13

Used again for lap time and many mothers joined in.
Jenny
Sweet story and illustrations. The message about welcoming a new sibling is touching and good for a older sibling adjusting to a new baby. I decided I need to start exposing my children to Spanish so this works great because the Spanish is above and English translation below.
Paula
Little Michael loves to sit on his mother’s lap with everything that is dear to him. They rock back and forth. He doesn’t think there is room for the baby but there is! There is some hints in the pictures of Inuit/Eskimo. Nice repetition. Could make a felt set for this.
Kate
A cute story with soft images. The theme that there is always room on mother's lap is reassuring for children since it, quite transparently, implies they will always have room in their mother's heart and life. A beautiful and moving little book.
Wilma
This is a lovely book and it reminds parents and teachers alike that every child needs to feel special. It would be a good book to read at bedtime. "This timeless, well-loved story captures the warmth of a universal childhood experience".
Ms.
"There's always room on Mother's lap", a wonderful moral to help teach security and love. The artist's renderings of Michael, his mother, and all the things that accumulate on Mother's lap are simply gorgeous.
Very sweet book.
Joan Alleyne
When I read this book my first thought was ...Mothers are always so giving and so selfless! This is a good book to read for the child who is about to have a sibling. Good bedtime book with great illustrations.
Bethany Nolan
Michael's favorite place to be is on his mother's lap, but he's not certain if there's enough room there for both he and the baby. Mom says there's "always room on mother's lap." Sweet, nice pictures.
Amalia Ricksecker
PB 50: I didn't really like this book. Maybe as a mother it would be more enjoyable but as a non-mother I rate it low. Pictures weren't that great and the story wasn't either.
Ingrid
My son definitely doesn't have the attention span for this sweet book. Maybe when he's older, or suddenly turns sedate, he'll find it more interesting.
Kathleen Heroux
On Mother's Lap is a universal story to which any child with siblings can relate; seeking mother's attention when a new baby has entered the family.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Flower Garden
  • Bee-bim Bop!
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
  • The Wind Blew
Ann Herbert Scott describes herself as "a transplanted Easterner who has come to love the wide skies and far mountain ranges of the West." She is the author of SAM, ON MOTHER'S LAP, and several other picture books. She lives Benicia, California.

Ann Herbert Scott was born in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, and grew up writing. Her first children's book, co-authored with a friend and never published,...more
More about Ann Herbert Scott...
Hi Brave as a Mountain Lion Asphyxie Cowboy Country Sam