Start by marking “The Ruby Programming Language” as Want to Read:
The Ruby Programming Language

The Ruby Programming Language

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Ruby Programming Language is the authoritative guide to Ruby and provides comprehensive coverage of versions 1.8 and 1.9 of the language. It was written (and illustrated!) by an all-star team: David Flanagan, bestselling author of programming language "bibles" (including JavaScript: The Definitive Guide and Java in a Nutshell) and committer to the Ruby Subversion repos ...more
Published January 25th 2008 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruby Programming Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ruby Programming Language

Adrian
This book provides comprehensive documentation of the Ruby programming language (1.8.x and 1.9.x) by the language's creator, Yukihiro Matsumoto, and David Flanagan (from Javascript: The Definitive Guide and Java in a Nutshell fame).

Ruby is an easy language to program in, but it is not a simple language. This book is intended for experienced programmers who want to master Ruby. It is not a beginner's book, although it does take a bottoms up approach -- it is intended to be read in the order it is
Russell
This book contains less fluff than the Pickaxe book. While Pickaxe is good for quickly learning about Ruby and trying out some things, along with a so-so appendix of std classes, this book contains more in-depth detail on the core language constructs and behavior. Combined, they make a great reference duo.
Mike
I was familiar with Dave Flanagan through his Javascript book. Seeing his name on the cover of this book was all I needed to buy it. And of course it doesn't hurt that Matz -- Ruby's creator -- was the other author. But to be fair, I had seen Matz' work in O'Reilly's "Beautiful Code" -- an essay called "Treating Code as an Essay." It was not only the best piece of writing in that book, but one of the best essays on programming I've ever read. It prompted me to scour the Internet for more of his ...more
finisherr
I must confess...I never really finished this book. Python is my language of choice. I've mostly picked this up to manage some of the existing Ruby code in my organization.

First things first, this book is not for beginners. If you do not have much experience with tech or code, go elsewhere. This book reads more like documentation with helpful examples, starting from the ground up. I must say though, if you've got a little experience with code, this book will probably get you a thorough understa
Abdulsattar Mohammed
This book does what it aims to do perfectly: document the entire Ruby language. David Flannagan has covered every aspect of Ruby with a very good pace.

This book, as it says on the back cover, is not for anyone who's getting into programming. However, if you know any other language or have beginner to intermediate Ruby knowledge, this book will make you an expert in Ruby.
Marshall
Excellent intermediate-level guide to the Ruby programming language. It discusses every feature, every nuance, and every "gotcha" that arises from ambiguity or as a trade-off for flexibility and expressiveness. Like other O'Reilly "nutshell" books, this book covers the language, the whole language, and nothing but the language. It doesn't waste a single precious sentence on anything but details. This makes it very dense to read, but very efficient, and makes it an excellent reference. No interme ...more
Scott
Good book for a detailed look at the language.

It presents the material well and is clear in it's explanations and examples. It does a particularly good job of expressing the theory behind features of the language and it positions you to really understand what is going on behind the scenes well.

On the down side the book is a bit too linear and doesn't get to classes/modules or even how to break code up into files until later in the book. This means you're tinkering for quiet some time and it's aw
D. Pereira
This probably works better as a reference book after you learn Ruby than as an actual intro to Ruby (is that how ALL O'Reilly books work? I felt that way about the only other book I read from them, way back). Seems to be structured in a way that leads to a lot of "hands off" learning before you get to do anything, but you sure do learn a lot. Partway through I was struggling with it and tried to switch to learning from a website, but the site made me appreciate how much I'd already learned from ...more
Kian
This is not designed to be an entertaining look, but a detailed study of the Ruby language. Which it is. And for a book that's covering so much ground, it manages to do it in such a way that you don't feel like you're chewing cardboard.

This is not a book on beginning programming. If you're looking to learn how to program, go hunt another title. If you're a seasoned programmer looking for a quick way to pick up the Ruby language , syntax and libraries, you're hard pushed to beat this.
Said A
Great and detailed intro to the Ruby. This is "the one" book for any beginner. Provides you with the insights of the language, introduces new concepts and provides great examples for better understanding.
Shafjac
Not a real page-turner but a ton of great details on Ruby. I use it most days at the office to look up how to do things in Ruby or get a better understanding of how things are working under the covers.
Kawai
Solid overview of the language. Delivers on all its promises. Combine this book with another source of Ruby instruction--perhaps codecademy--and you'll be well on your way to mastering the language.
Kevin
Comprehensive coverage of the Ruby language, modeled after The C++ Programming Language.

It's probably best used as a reference, rather than cover-to-cover.
Rob Olson
Good book on the ruby programming language. Not a page turner but works well as a more concise guide than the Programming Ruby for beginning Ruby Programmers.
Michael
As a programming reference, one of the best I've ever read; although, the book has some pretty egregious formatting errors. (You can do better, copy editor.)
Richard
Chapter on blocks, procs and lamdas was a little confusing.
Could have done with more examples of building real code over API documentation.
Ken
This book is pretty technical - which makes it both a great reference and not a great DIY learn how to program Ruby.
Daniel Ross
A good start to finish intro. I learned Ruby from this book very easily; 0 to fluency took about three days.
Nick Carter
Absolutely comprehensive, but not a boring read at all. So many corners to explore!
Rob
Feb 24, 2011 Rob marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical, ruby
Saint Lart
Now I like Ruby as much as Python.What do I do all my scripting in? Perl.
Alex
Very good Ruby book. After reading find a lot of things I didn't know before.
Douglas Mendes
An excellent and a must read book on the Ruby programming language.
Lewis Cawthorne
Not as good as the Pickaxe, but fine none the less, IMHO.
Gabriel Galvão
Probably the best book on programming that I've read.
Long Nguyen
a must book for ruby programmer
Paul
Jul 12, 2012 Paul marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
shelved for the time being.
Robert Maaskant
Robert Maaskant marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 11 Oct 30, 2009 03:18PM
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Ruby Cookbook
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Ruby Best Practices
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • The Rails Way
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • Version Control with Git
  • The RSpec Book
  • Rails Recipes
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • RESTful Web Services
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide Java in a Nutshell JavaScript Pocket Reference jQuery Pocket Reference Java Examples in a Nutshell: A Companion Volume to Java in a Nutshell