Stranded

Stranded

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A compelling, emotionally satisfying novel of a young girl's determination to do the right thing and to prove herself to her peers and her parents. When Koby, who lost her foot in an accident at the age of eight, aids a mother whale about to give birth, she sets off a chain of events that changes the course of her life forever.
Published April 18th 1996 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 1900)

Karen & Gerard
Stranded by Ben Mikaelsen is a young adult fiction book about a Jr. High girl who has lost her foot in an accident and finally gets accepted at school when everyone hears about her saving two whales. The story delves into her feelings about her parents separation, school, fears of what others think about her and how she finally accepts herself. In reading this book, I learned a bit more about whales and liked the theme that was not to judge people by how they look on the outside, but to look dee...more
Gabriel Schull
I absolutely loved everything about this book--the plot, the setting, the characters--everything! I could not put it down once I started it. Koby is a preteen girl who has a lot on her plate: her parents just separated, she lost her leg in a car accident four years ago, and she feels like an outcast at school. But when she's out on the open ocean in her dinghy, she feels normal and whole again. Everything changes one night when she rescues two stranded pilot whales. As she spends time visiting a...more
Caitlin
Jessie
I like Ben Mikaelsen. His YA books teach good values and problems that young people encounter every day. It isn't as good as Touching Spirit Bear, but it's OK. ** stop here for spoilers **** Koby faces the troubles of being accepted at school as well as having only one leg after being in a bicycle/car accident. She likes to swim because there she doesn't feel out of place. She has a small motor boat that she roars around in and one day finds a mother whale caught in a net who has just given birt...more
G
I was introduced to Koby, Lady, and Squirt at the age of eight or nine: a teacher read it to my fourth-grade class. I was enchanted: (and still am, for a matter of fact.)it's a well-woven story with a lot of simple elements in it that add up to a rich book fit for kids and adults alike.

Koby lost her foot in a bike accident when she was eight, resulting in a (by now) chipped and plastic "leggy." This causes familial tension: her mother is overprotective and hates living on the ocean, her father b...more
Tristan
Stranded was about a girl's humungous change in life. It's a lll due to her accident and her love for all animals and the sea. She has a metal contraption for a foot due to a car accident. She then on keeps to herself and spends a lot of time at sea. When she helps 2 whales survive after almost dying she becomes popular. Then the most popular girl, Becky helps her become less full of herself. This book is about how the whales changed her life forever.
Erica
Christina
Very nice book about a girl who learns to cope with several obstacles. She lost a foot in an accident a few years ago and is very selfconscious at school, so she has no friends. But she loves plying her boat on the water; she and her parents live in the Florida Keys on a boat! When she rescues a stranded mother pilot whale and her calf, she bonds with them, but has to be careful or they'll kill her, and also has to deal with her parents' increasingly strained marriage. Lots of good nautical and...more
mauvemagnolia
This was a book I read over and over again in elementary/middle school. Set in the Florida keys about a misfit girl who finds a family and friends in the least expected of places and circumstances and becomes a hero. What more could a misfit girl, such as myself, want in a book? So excited to find it still in print!

Recommended for:
*ages 8-14
*Fans of misfit adolescents (or readers who are misfits themselves)
*Fans of 'Island of the Blue Dolphins' or 'Julie of the Wolves'

Elements included:
*Amputees...more
Isaac
AMAZING!!!!!!! The book is about a girl who gets hit by a car at age eight and her leg had to be amputated. One day she goes out on her little boat and helps a mother dolphin give birth. Shortly after that she went to search for the whales and finds them with another whale severely injured. The Coast Guard finally comes and finds her 'STRANDED' in the ocean. Marine Veternarians help the two whales. All of a sudden a hurricane is headed straight towards them. What will happen next? That's for you...more
Lara
this book relates to me because my grandpa lost a foot.
Cheryl
This book was required reading in my son's fifth grade class. It was a good book for children of that age to read and discuss with their classmates. It covers many issues relevant to the issues that may be confronting young students or their peers: disabilities, parental discourse, fitting in, etc. It takes place in the keys of Florida which made it more relevant for my son's Florida classroom.
Tristan
Stranded was an amazing book about the one legged girl, Koby. She bonds with two pilot whiles which almost no one does. This is an amazing experience for her and she loves the ocean and its creatures. The best moment is them seeing if they will survive the hurricane coming their way.
Dayna Smith
Koby's family has been in transition since she lost part of her leg four years ago. Now it looks like the pressure is getting too much and her parents may separate. As she struggles to accept herself and her parents situation, she discovers two injured pilot whales. The lives of the whales are in her hands and she risks her own lives to say theirs.
Rosaleen Leclair
This book is very exiting! you really feel like your in the book! Koby the main charter, goes through a lot! she has been through hurricanes and she spent the night with whales! Koby, also has a hard life with her parents, but she figures it out. This book has a happy ending. It's so good! Koby handles thing very well in her life! I think she is very brave!
Sparker Pants
I remember reading this book multiple, multiple times- I probably picked it up at a book fair at school. It was about a girl who loses her foot, sails around on a dinghy, and saves whales.

I just gave my copy to one of the girls I tutor at Metz and now I'm thinking of buying another copy on Amazon because it's only five bucks. . .
Jill
i love stranded because all of the characters change some how in the beginning from the end of the book. koby is stubborn in the beginning and a little bit towards the middle but when she meets a friend they become very close.

stranded is a touching and inspiring book and koby faces the waves to hall the whales…….
Amy
May 24, 2011 Amy added it
Koby lost her foot four years ago is an accident. Her Parents are getting divorced, and she is more lonely than ever. But when she finds lady and squirt stranded, she might have bigger problems. WIll she be able to make it back? Will Lady and Squirt survive? Will her parents get back together?
Jo
I read this when I was very young. It was my favorite book for years and years. I am wondering now where my copy is. Good book for a young teen. Like any other young girl I went through the I want to be a marine biologist phase and this book was part of the reason! Give it to a young gal you love.
Susan
This was a pretty good book about a 12-year old girl who lost her foot in an accident when she was just 8. Not only is it about dealing with a disability, but it's about saving whales and family relationships. I enjoyed it, but found some of it kind of unbelievable.
Cara
Kalindi
This is a really good book. It showes determination and the writer is really super good. I read for SCOPE bookclub. It's a little bit different from Soul Surfer. If they made a movie for it, I would watch it. I really recomend you read Stranded!
Melanie Golden
I read most of the books recommended for my granddaughters and this one was excellent for mid to jr high. The granddaughter hard to please couldn't put it down and I have to agree it was a great book. Hard to put down, well written.
Maggie
Summary: Twelve-year-old Koby, who has lost a foot in an accident, sees a chance to prove her self-reliance to her parents when she tries to rescue two stranded pilot whales near her home in the Florida Keys.
Kristina
OKAY THIS WAS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE

ITS ABOUT A GIRL WHOS HAS A MAJOR DISABILITY. THE ONLY PLACE SHES FREE IS THE OCEAN.

I HOPE THEY MAKE A MOVIE. ITS SO INSPIRATIONAL
Cindy
Snore. I really thougth this book would be as good as some of his others. However, I was bored and couldn't wait for it to end. Not a difficult book, and kids who love whales would probably love this.
Heidee
Jun 30, 2009 Heidee added it
This is good one. My grandman bought it for me and I couldn't put it down. The whole theme of the book is (to me anyway) that impossible things happen. Don't give up.
Catherine
This is a good story, but it does seem a bit unrealistic. I appreciate that Mikaelsen teaches us to be care-takers of the world.
Sylvia
Amputee girl saves two pilot whales. Family trouble (separation) what it's like to have a missing foot, living on the ocean.
Ji Mei ^_^
This book is amazing. It's about this girl who is an amputee finally gaining acceptance and learning how to live her life again.
  • Earthquake Terror
  • Hugging the Rock
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • The Not-So-Star-Spangled Life of Sunita Sen
  • The Turning (Angel on the Square, #4)
  • Bearstone
  • Lara's Gift
  • Words By Heart
  • Upchuck and the Rotten Willy
  • The Silver Six
Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1) Petey Ghost of Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #2) Tree Girl Red Midnight