Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A full-on history of the zombie's on-screen evolution from Caribbean bogeyman to flesh-eating corpse. Spanning seven decades of horror movie history with hundreds of stills, artwork, and an exhaustive filmography, this is the complete, long-awaited history of one of horror cinema's most enduring genres. Charting the entire ghoulish history of zombie cinema, from its origin...more
Published January 9th 2005 by FAB Press

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
448th out of 1,119 books — 3,413 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon
There's something utterly endearing about the zombie. The concept taps into a collective primal fear of death that we all share in one way or another, and it gives that fear teeth - often behind the faces of those we know and love.

Book of the Dead is, undoubtedly, a real labour of love. Jamie Russell has done an exceptional job with this substantial volume; chronicling the history of the zombie movie right from its Haitian origins and arrival in the western world in the early twentieth century,...more
Nicholas
Nov 20, 2007 Nicholas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Zombifiles
Hold on to yer' hats kiddies. Jamie Russell's 'Book of the Dead' is, without question, THE MOST comprehensive single authored tome on Zombies in the WORLD (picture a good Mickey Rooney... "IN THE WORLD" there). The book is frickin' exquisite and worth every single bloody penny (hundreds of color and b & w stills and plates).

Russel's approach is somewhere between the historian and the scholar, essentially fusing the two and proving himself to be both simultaneously. Very nice critical analys...more
Michele
All'inizio il libro non sembrava nulla di ch��. Faceva parte di quel lotto di libri che comprai nell'estate dell'88, colto dalla foga della magnifica triolgia di Draginlance, ma che ho sempre tenuto sullo csaffale senza leggere. L'ho portato in bagno come lettura part time (:)) dove tengo tutto quello che voglio leggere ma che non ho intenzione di tenere sul comodino. Ci ho messo mesi, anche perch�� �� molto poco descrittivo e piuttosto legnoso, soprattutto perch�� si ambienta in un periodo di K...more
Michael
This is a pretty damn comprehensive look at Zombie movies, from the genre's birth using vaguely (or blatently) racist voodoo zombies to the Shaun of the Dead/Land of the Dead/Dawn remake era.

Russell definitely knows his topic, and gives honest opinions of what he thought of the films. I love the first 3 Romero movies (and liked Land of the Dead), and enjoy quite a few other zombie movies, so I liked the book.

I'll admit a horror blasphemy and say that I'm not the biggest fan of giallo, so the It...more
Kayleigh
A fantastically detailed look at the evolution of the zombie from its Haitian origins up to its most recent cinematic features. Jamie Russell distances himself enough to talk about the movies in terms of their technical and critical successes and favours, rather than simply talking about the ones he enjoyed the most, which i've found most other zombie film critics to do. Lots of great movie stills and images of the movie posters. As a student doing my thesis on zombies in film this book will be...more
Peter
This book does a really good job tracking and explaining the zombie movie phenomenon. Probably best of all it puts everything into context from the 1930's American interest in Haitian investments that gave rise to the cultural exploration of voodoo to the George Romero zombie of the late 60's. The book is very comprehensive with photos and even an encyclopedia of zombie movies in the appendix. I'd recommend this book for anyone with an interest in learning more about history of the zombie.
Angie
Sep 10, 2008 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys Max Brooks, George Romero, Fulci, and Shaun of the Dead.
I'm currently in the process of writing an honors thesis on the socio-political messages in zombie films, and this book is the source I most turn to.

Russell's writing is interesting and intelligent, and the book itself is a joy to read simply for pleasure. The insightful analysis of the films has proved most helpful in conjunction with my own interpretations, and it was most certainly worth the money I paid for it.

An indespensible book for anyone interested in zombie films.
Wendeline Wright
Aug 23, 2007 Wendeline Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love zombie movies
Given to me as a birthday present this year from a mate, this book is an extremely well-researched and cohesive text dealing with the history of zombie cinema. Perhaps a bit too derisive of some of the films involved--a love of zombie cinema is not, perhaps, overly evident in some cases--but absolutely essential for any zombie film scholar.

Probably quite close to any book I'd have ever written.
James
a really well written, in-depth analysis of the zombie film from the early days of film through 2005/2006.

it can be a bit dry at times, but at the end also includes an impressively comprehensive filmography that makes me want to watch a whole lot of movies that i probably shouldn't otherwise because of how bad they are.

what's wrong with me?
Eli
Jamie Russell does a fantastic job covering the entire history of zombie cinema, from Romero to Fulci. It covers everything perfectly, and doesn't hesitate to point out the various stinkers that inhabit this fine genre of film. Any fan of zombie cinema should crack an egg of knowledge on themselves with this book.
Nora
This is functioning as a background text for my zombie class (Everything I Need to Know, I Learned from Zombie Movies), and it's way more readable than I expected. VERY sharp, too. It covers all angles, from the inherent philosophical underpinnings and social commentaries, down to the raw gore factors. Love it.
Jason Coffman
What you get here is exactly what the title promises: an exhaustive history of zombies in film history. Most of the book is taken up by that history, and the last section is made up of reviews of pretty much every zombie movie ever made. Unquestionably the gold standard for zombie film books.
Adam
Absolutely essential for gorehounds and zombie film collectors. Beautiful still photos from hundreds of zombie flix from over the last 80 or so years adds to the allure of the history in these pages. A filmography at the end of the book is exhaustive and totally helpful.
May 09, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Very, very comprehensive. I will definitely use this to add more zombie movies to my Netflix queue. And I loved seeing that, for the analysis and commentary, Russell used some of the same sources I used in my own thesis. Will keep this on my shelf for years to come.
Chris
Excellent database and history of zombie movies from their humble beginnings to their place in culture at present. Using this as a companion while I write an article for a horror magazine entitled "The Evolution Of The Zombie". Very helpful.
Becca
May 11, 2007 Becca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of the undead
one word: finally! it's about time there was an intelligent history of the zombie on film. covers everthing from caribbean origins to italian gore to the millenial uprising of the undead.
Malini Sridharan
This is kind of a coffee table book. I think I could plow through this pretty nicely if it traveled a bit better. As it is, I guess it will have to be a reference.
Charles
THE book for zombie film lovers.
Tracey
Dec 29, 2007 Tracey marked it as to-read
Shelves: zombies
Xmas gift Scott 2007
Jeff
This is MY bible.
Lena Obkircher
Lena Obkircher marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Marcus Silva
Marcus Silva marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ksenia
Ksenia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Duane
Duane marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Djuna Franzén
Djuna Franzén marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jed Nicholson
Jed Nicholson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • Nightmare of Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Edward D. Wood
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday The 13th
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Incredibly Strange Films
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • Down the Road
  • Midnight Movies
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Monsters in the Movies: 100 Years of Cinematic Nightmares
Generation Xbox: How Videogames Invaded Hollywood Queer Burroughs The Beat Generation Vietnam War Movies Vietnam War Movies: The Pocket Essential Guide