Start by marking “Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A full-on history of the zombie's on-screen evolution from Caribbean bogeyman to flesh-eating corpse. Spanning seven decades of horror movie history with hundreds of stills, artwork, and an exhaustive filmography, this is the complete, long-awaited history of one of horror cinema's most enduring genres. Charting the entire ghoulish history of zombie cinema, from its origin ...more
Published January 9th 2005 by FAB Press

To ask other readers questions about Book of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of the Dead

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
466th out of 1,281 books — 3,671 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon
There's something utterly endearing about the zombie. The concept taps into a collective primal fear of death that we all share in one way or another, and it gives that fear teeth - often behind the faces of those we know and love.

Book of the Dead is, undoubtedly, a real labour of love. Jamie Russell has done an exceptional job with this substantial volume; chronicling the history of the zombie movie right from its Haitian origins and arrival in the western world in the early twentieth century,
Stuart Slingsby
This book is brilliant and i'm glad I bought it.
This book explains everything from what the word zombie means, where the word zombie comes from and examines most zombie films in the history of cinema.
Going from the first ever zombie film WHITE ZOMBIE up until recent films 28 DAYS LATER, SHAUN OF THE DEAD & LAND OF THE DEAD. This even goes on to describe the B - MOVIES (CHILDREN OF THE LIVING DEAD). At the back of the book there is a filmography of all the films talked about in the book and m
Nicholas
Mar 28, 2015 Nicholas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Zombifiles
Hold on to yer' hats kiddies. Jamie Russell's 'Book of the Dead' is, without question, THE MOST comprehensive single authored tome on Zombies in print. The book is exquisite and worth your hard-earned dollars (hundreds of color and b & w stills and plates).

Russel's approach is somewhere between the historian and the scholar, essentially fusing the two and proving himself to be both simultaneously. Very nice critical analysis and the book's "up to the minute of publishing" (he discusses the
Kelli
Can I give this more than 5 stars? This is a MUST for any zombie fan! Impeccably researched, funny, and full of movie stills and promotional posters (in both black and white and glossy color), you really cannot ask for a better history of zombie cinema. There are even reviews of hundreds of zombie movies in the back, ranging from tiny independent films to major blockbusters. I would LOVE to see a new edition that covers the last ten years, as we now have not one zombie television show that Russe ...more
Michele
All'inizio il libro non sembrava nulla di ch. Faceva parte di quel lotto di libri che comprai nell'estate dell'88, colto dalla foga della magnifica triolgia di Draginlance, ma che ho sempre tenuto sullo csaffale senza leggere. L'ho portato in bagno come lettura part time (:)) dove tengo tutto quello che voglio leggere ma che non ho intenzione di tenere sul comodino. Ci ho messo mesi, anche perch molto poco descrittivo e piuttosto legnoso, soprattutto perch si ambienta in un periodo di Krynn dov ...more
Michael
This is a pretty damn comprehensive look at Zombie movies, from the genre's birth using vaguely (or blatently) racist voodoo zombies to the Shaun of the Dead/Land of the Dead/Dawn remake era.

Russell definitely knows his topic, and gives honest opinions of what he thought of the films. I love the first 3 Romero movies (and liked Land of the Dead), and enjoy quite a few other zombie movies, so I liked the book.

I'll admit a horror blasphemy and say that I'm not the biggest fan of giallo, so the It
Kayleigh
A fantastically detailed look at the evolution of the zombie from its Haitian origins up to its most recent cinematic features. Jamie Russell distances himself enough to talk about the movies in terms of their technical and critical successes and favours, rather than simply talking about the ones he enjoyed the most, which i've found most other zombie film critics to do. Lots of great movie stills and images of the movie posters. As a student doing my thesis on zombies in film this book will be ...more
David Mannion
Excellent book on zombie cinema.
Peter
This book does a really good job tracking and explaining the zombie movie phenomenon. Probably best of all it puts everything into context from the 1930's American interest in Haitian investments that gave rise to the cultural exploration of voodoo to the George Romero zombie of the late 60's. The book is very comprehensive with photos and even an encyclopedia of zombie movies in the appendix. I'd recommend this book for anyone with an interest in learning more about history of the zombie.
Angie
Sep 10, 2008 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys Max Brooks, George Romero, Fulci, and Shaun of the Dead.
I'm currently in the process of writing an honors thesis on the socio-political messages in zombie films, and this book is the source I most turn to.

Russell's writing is interesting and intelligent, and the book itself is a joy to read simply for pleasure. The insightful analysis of the films has proved most helpful in conjunction with my own interpretations, and it was most certainly worth the money I paid for it.

An indespensible book for anyone interested in zombie films.
Wendeline Wright
Aug 23, 2007 Wendeline Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love zombie movies
Given to me as a birthday present this year from a mate, this book is an extremely well-researched and cohesive text dealing with the history of zombie cinema. Perhaps a bit too derisive of some of the films involved--a love of zombie cinema is not, perhaps, overly evident in some cases--but absolutely essential for any zombie film scholar.

Probably quite close to any book I'd have ever written.
James
a really well written, in-depth analysis of the zombie film from the early days of film through 2005/2006.

it can be a bit dry at times, but at the end also includes an impressively comprehensive filmography that makes me want to watch a whole lot of movies that i probably shouldn't otherwise because of how bad they are.

what's wrong with me?
Eli
Jamie Russell does a fantastic job covering the entire history of zombie cinema, from Romero to Fulci. It covers everything perfectly, and doesn't hesitate to point out the various stinkers that inhabit this fine genre of film. Any fan of zombie cinema should crack an egg of knowledge on themselves with this book.
Nora
This is functioning as a background text for my zombie class (Everything I Need to Know, I Learned from Zombie Movies), and it's way more readable than I expected. VERY sharp, too. It covers all angles, from the inherent philosophical underpinnings and social commentaries, down to the raw gore factors. Love it.
Jason Coffman
What you get here is exactly what the title promises: an exhaustive history of zombies in film history. Most of the book is taken up by that history, and the last section is made up of reviews of pretty much every zombie movie ever made. Unquestionably the gold standard for zombie film books.
Adam
Absolutely essential for gorehounds and zombie film collectors. Beautiful still photos from hundreds of zombie flix from over the last 80 or so years adds to the allure of the history in these pages. A filmography at the end of the book is exhaustive and totally helpful.
May 09, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Very, very comprehensive. I will definitely use this to add more zombie movies to my Netflix queue. And I loved seeing that, for the analysis and commentary, Russell used some of the same sources I used in my own thesis. Will keep this on my shelf for years to come.
Chris (ChrisToria2027)
Excellent database and history of zombie movies from their humble beginnings to their place in culture at present. Using this as a companion while I write an article for a horror magazine entitled "The Evolution Of The Zombie". Very helpful.
Becca
May 11, 2007 Becca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of the undead
one word: finally! it's about time there was an intelligent history of the zombie on film. covers everthing from caribbean origins to italian gore to the millenial uprising of the undead.
Malini Sridharan
This is kind of a coffee table book. I think I could plow through this pretty nicely if it traveled a bit better. As it is, I guess it will have to be a reference.
Charles
THE book for zombie film lovers.
Tracey
Dec 29, 2007 Tracey marked it as to-read
Shelves: zombies
Xmas gift Scott 2007
Jeff
This is MY bible.
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Mattis
Mattis marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Andrij Kopytko
Andrij Kopytko marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Steven Mchugh
Steven Mchugh marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Patrick O'Loughlin
Patrick O'Loughlin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Nightmare Movies: A Critical Guide to Contemporary Horror Films
  • Nightmare of Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Edward D. Wood
  • Sleazoid Express: A Mind-Twisting Tour Through the Grindhouse Cinema of Times Square
  • The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film
  • Incredibly Strange Films
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film
Generation Xbox: How Videogames Invaded Hollywood Queer Burroughs The Beat Generation Vietnam War Movies Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema (Updated & Fully Revised Edition)