Start by marking “Three Weeks” as Want to Read:
Three Weeks

Three Weeks (Three Weeks #1)

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Now this is an episode in a young man's life, and has no real beginning or ending. And you who are old and have forgotten the passions of youth may condemn it. But there are others who are neither old nor young who, perhaps, will understand and find some interest in the study of a strange woman who made the illumination of a brief space.
Paperback, Virago Modern Classics
Published June 8th 1996 by Virago Press (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about Three Weeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Weeks

Rhonda
May 04, 2010 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
I always strain to remember which friend has recommended a given book, but there is no doubt as to which friend gave me this one... and I wish her to know that I am eternally grateful, albeit a choice I almost didn’t make. After all, it just didn’t seem my kind of book, but perhaps in choosing our reading material, going outside our comfort zone is sometimes fortuitous. In this particular case it was serendipitous.

This is a book about a seduction, one accomplished by an older mysterious foreign
Tyne O'Connell
Jan 17, 2014 Tyne O'Connell rated it it was amazing
Just read “Three Weeks” by Elinor Glyn, the author who invented the term IT that ineffable charisma that beguiles and seduces both men and women. Forget 50 shades of Grey! Written in 1907 when she was 43 Three Weeks is a romance about an aristocratic older woman who enslaves a young man - not with whips and blindfolds - but with the sensual wisdom and authority of the older woman.
Glamorous and gloriously exotically romantic, the sexual tension is heightened through restraint and fantasy. And wh
Will
Mar 19, 2016 Will rated it it was ok
"They had coasted round Italy and Sicily, and not among the Ionian Isles, as had been Captain Grigsby's intention.

'I fancy the lady came from some of those Balkan countries,' Sir Charles had said. 'Don't let us get in touch with even the outside of one of them.'

And Mark Grigsby had grunted an assent.

'The boy is a fine fellow,' he said one morning as they looked at Paul hauling ropes. 'He'll probably never get quite over this, but he is fighting like a man, Charles--tell me as much as you feel in
Christina
Jun 06, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
I read Three Weeks by Elinor Glyn for the Out of the Past Classic Film Blog - 2016 Summer Reading Classic Film Book Challenge and I’m glad I did, as I’d been putting it off for awhile. It only took me a couple of days to finish and it thoroughly captivated me, even moving me to tears at the end.

Glyn was a very successful early 20th century English writer of popular romance fiction, although some would claim her work to be more erotic fiction! Her stories primarily focus on softly evolving sensu
Sandy
For the most part, this story was a rather fun fantastical romp in the sensuous and sensual Land of Make-Believe, but the plot took an unexpected tragic twist and no one was having fun any more. Three stars to Elinor Glyn for reminding the reader of the value of patience and anticipation and of making the effort to leave emotional pain behind and enjoy the blessings that might previously have been overlooked.
Obinna Udenwe
Jun 04, 2010 Obinna Udenwe rated it it was amazing
Three Weeks is one of the captivating romantic stories i ever read. Apart from Maria Corelli, no one equals Elinor in descrptive romance. The way the story unfolded made it too captivating and too breath-taking. Since i was a young boy that i read the story it still remains my best.
Maggie
Feb 07, 2010 Maggie rated it it was ok
Though it was published in 1907 (amid great scandal), this brings to mind Margaret Atwood's sensuality. Enjoyable, if not the greatest written romance ever.
notRahimeanymore
Jul 25, 2011 notRahimeanymore rated it liked it
I came across a mention of this on Wikipedia and since it was free on Kindle... Well, it was definitely cheesy, but it ended up sucking me in. In the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish it (with all the mentions of 'the Soul' and people who are 'alive' or 'awake' vs everybody else who is asleep (in my experience people who talk like that just want an excuse to be jerks, so they can tell themselves anybody who doesn't like it just isn't 'alive' enough to understand them)) but I kept ...more
Celeste
Feb 26, 2014 Celeste rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Last spring I took a course on 20th century British women's novels, and Elinor Glyn was first on the list. We read Beyond the Rocks, and during the discussion this title came up. At some point I downloaded it to my Kindle, and on a whim I read it.

The best description I can give of this novel is that it is the of Edwardian romances. Really, it wasn't the best thing I'd read, and I thought that Beyond the Rocks was "smarter," but I had fun with it. It was nice to read a romance in which the male i
Claire Goodbody
Aug 12, 2015 Claire Goodbody rated it it was amazing
Elinor Glyn; The woman who inspired Barbara Cartland. I have never read BC but I can see why any writer or reader of relationship writing, in particular the passion of love, would be inspired. Superb.
Gwynn
On some other fur?
Maia
Aug 24, 2011 Maia rated it liked it
Shelves: 19th-c, 20s
Had it shelved for ages and suddenly picked it up on a whim--surprisingly self-aware, biting reflection of late 19C, esrly 20 C uppercrust Anglo mores from a female POV. As always, the lasting impression is that, second class citizens aside, aristocratic, wealthy and well-educated women did continously found ways out of society's traps--albeit nearly always through sexuality. Still, it's fascinating to note that despite all social messages to the contrary women such as Elinor Glyn were privilege ...more
Louise
Interesting that this was a banned book when it first came out, how times and morals change!
Kate
Aug 04, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Heh heh heh. Four stars for camp value. I think this book would have been best if I were 13. Alas ! The style infects your speech and oh, how romantic, romantic, romantic. Snerk. I wanted to read some turn of the century trash, and here it is! You have not LIVED until you've read of Paul and his Queen and their Love and some very misogynistic commentary as well. ! ! !
Jahlaune Hunt
Jul 07, 2013 Jahlaune Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to read something from this author. If you enjoy silent movies than you are familiar with the authors name. The book written in 1906 is hardly shocking for this era but i found it very interesting and an enjoyable read. It wasn't a "I cant put down' type of book tho
Heather Hamilton
A slow start with the sticky sweetness of the romance developing, but a real page-turner in the second half. More heartbreaking than I anticipated.
Nancy
Jan 31, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-read
Entirely absurd. It's hard to imagine how it could have been so notorious. I'm giving it an extra star for amusement.
Samantha Glasser
Jul 29, 2014 Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg:
Huriyah
May 20, 2016 Huriyah rated it did not like it
I had to read this for an Edwardian lit module and I still didn't finish it. It was boring.
Dianne Hartsock
Jan 19, 2011 Dianne Hartsock rated it liked it
Tragically romantic. Predictable ending, but fabulously written.
Katrina Gonsalves
Aug 16, 2010 Katrina Gonsalves rated it it was ok
They should have banned it for being tripe. Don't bother.
Victoria Vane
May 06, 2013 Victoria Vane rated it liked it
An interesting read. I may post a review later.
Jenna M
Oct 12, 2012 Jenna M rated it it was ok
Good writing, but annoying characters.
Val
Jun 11, 2016 Val marked it as to-read
Shelves: byt-by-year
This was first published in 1907.
Staci
Aug 22, 2012 Staci marked it as to-read
free kindle book
Liz
Feb 05, 2009 Liz rated it did not like it
Ho hum.
Stormy
Stormy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • When a Man Marries
  • Wired Love: A Romance of Dots and Dashes
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Moonlight Becomes Her
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • The Enchanted Barn
  • Sapho
  • The Last Love
  • The Sheik
  • Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)
  • His Ordinary Life (Hearts of the South, #2)
  • The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verses
  • The King of the Dark Chamber
  • Letters from England
  • The Holly-Tree Inn
  • The Far Cry
  • London Calling
  • The Hotel Years
Elinor Sutherland was born in St Helier, Jersey, the younger daughter of Douglas Sutherland (1838–1865), a civil engineer of Scottish descent, and his wife Elinor Saunders (1841–1937).

Her father died when Elinor was two months old and her mother returned to the parental home in Guelph, Ontario, Canada with her two daughters, Lucy Christiana and Elinor.

Back in Canada, Elinor was schooled by her g
More about Elinor Glyn...

Three Weeks (3 books)
  • One Day, a Sequel to "Three Weeks."
  • High Noon