Start by marking “Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)” as Want to Read:
Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)

Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney #6)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,368 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Wickedly witty and full of more dirt than a debutante's diary, the mysteries of Carolyn Haines bring the southern Delta to roaring, rollicking life...

Intrepid P.I. Sarah Booth Delaney has been known to single-handedly save her family's Mississippi plantation, converse with Dahlia House's ghost, and capture a killer or two. But when a local girl is found dead in a cotton

Published June 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published November 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bones To Pick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones To Pick

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
121st out of 656 books — 1,657 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeLowcountry Boil by Susan M. BoyerImogene in New Orleans by Hunter MurphyFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Best Southern Mysteries
49th out of 122 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne Hawn Smith
This is my first by this author, and I really enjoyed it. It's hard to separate my feelings for the Mississippi of my childhood pleasures from the actual book, so my rating may be a combination of nostalgia as well as the quality of the book. I did enjoy the use of the spectral. Jitty as a companion of the main character. I thought it was well done...not too ghostly and all knowing, but enough to add spice to the mystery. I'll be reading more of this author.
Virgie Carrington has run Carrington House to educate ladies to be prim young ladies - to be the perfect wives & contributors to a stable society... she is in her sixtys now, and ....

Quentin and Allison are two of the young ladies who attended her school, and they did n't quite fit the bill of Virgie's standards... Quentin & Allison are planning to marry, and Quentin has published a book that spills the secrets of the higher class - many of whom also attended Carrington House... and Quen
Hawt Dayum! This is such a good series. And I've only read two of them! Now there's a whole lot that's happened between book one, THEM BONES (my review), and book 6, so I will be going back to catch up. I meant to read the series in order, but this one popped up on my wishlist on RecordedBooks and I couldn't wait to spend time with Sarah Booth and her buddy Tinkie and the rest of the crowd.
I adore Sarah Booth. She calls it as she sees it, recognizes a bitch when she sees one and is ready to hel
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I thought this was another great book in a great series - one of those series I would like to 'upgrade' to Hardcover eventually. I was pleased by the ending of the book and even though I'd guessed whodunnit early I was so wrapped up in the story itself I didn't care at all. I have to say though that having read the synopsis of the upcoming books, and not seeing mention a relationship I've starting cheering for, I'm hesitant to keep going with the series. I get so wrapped up in the lives of the c ...more
Two Southern women have their own PI agency,when then are dragged into murder investigation. The sexy brother of the women thought to be the killer hires them ti find the real killer. He has a lusty heart and a wicked gifting mind for one of the ladies. Some funny gift's and moments here, he is my favorite character. There are twists and turn everywhere, along with death and danger.
This one was better than the other one I read from this series. There was an actual murder this time, which was good. Sarah Booth is a decent character, which is also good. The land itself comes through very strongly, and that is very nice to read. But the business with Coleman Peters is just weird, and I am still not certain how I feel about Jitty the haint. I think part of the problem is that there are too many characters who are supposed to be major ones, but we don't see them, we listen to S ...more
This book might be my favorite Sarah Booth Delaney mystery so far. I breezed through this one in a week or so. I am truly enjoying Ms. Haines' character-building. Although it's the sixth book in the series, I still feel like I am getting to know the characters--in a good way--like those friends you've have forever, but still occasionally manage to surprise you. I also feel like the main character is growing and changing and time moves goes on and you find yourself really routing for her, wanting ...more
Bonnie McHenry
Very interesting twists with this story! Love Sarah Booth's dedication to her partner and best friend Tinkie. The honesty of their friendship is tender and so real. I love Sarah Booth's attachment and devotion to her family plantation, Dahlia house. You really get the sense of her love for her family home when she goes riding with her faithful horse throught the cotton fields and when she roams through the grounds with her ghost of a sidekick Jitty. The descriptions of the land along with her re ...more
Ashley Andrews
I like it so far...recommended by a B&N employee. I was skeptical because I have bad luck picking mysteries. I prefer this over a thriller because it isn't violent or crude, just good fun. The characters are well developed, and now that I am 2/3 of the way in, I am enjoying how the author keeps dropping hints, very convincingly, and keeps you guessing. I'm expecting to be surprised up to the very end. Must go...and see how she solves the case!!!
Dec 10, 2011 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book club, fiction, mystery, cozy mystery
The 6th in the Mississippi Delta mystery series, a young lady has been brutally murdered and there as almost too many suspects. The young lady wrote a "tell all" book so every daddys girl in town has a reason to want her dead.

Sarah Booth laments her love for Coleman, as he has been elusive lately, staying out of town. His wife is mentally unbalanced and pregnant and Sara Booth knows that she needs to let him go, but he has her heart. Tinkie has issues of her own, as her friends and family are pr
Sarah Booth Delaney and her circle of friends are it again, in this case dealing with a terminal case of prejudice and greed, where a young woman is murdered and the investigation appears to be stalled, mainly due to her lifestyle.

Overall, an excellent continuation of this series.
Apparently, I liked some of the later books in this series, but I just couldn't get into this one. I read the first part, then skipped to the end. I'm not sure if it was my mood, or if the books did get better later on.
Angelique Carlson
I love the charm of this Southern Detective series. Finally, we get some movement in the romance department for Sarah Booth. I can't wait to read the next installment. Haines makes you want to take a southern journey.
Anita Sellers
Well done. I am loving all the characters in this book. There were some laugh out loud moments in this book and I love the twists and turns. This is becoming another one of my favorite book series to read. I am going to start reading the next book right away.
The second I picked this up I should have known it was part of a series. Would it kill people to stick a "#6" somewhere on these things so I know what I'm getting into? Regardless, I didn't find this book as interesting as the description, which made me want to read it in the first place. I felt like the story fell a little flat, but that could have easily been because I was expected as a reader to already be familiar with the characters and setting. I wanted more character development, more exp ...more
This is the 6th in the Mississippi Delta mystery series (of course it’s the only one I have read), a young lady writes a ‘tell all’ book and is found brutally murdered and there as almost too many suspects.

Sarah Booth is the main character and quite likeable. Besides helping to solve the crime she is dealing with her love, Coleman, being gone. He is married to a woman who is ‘crazy’ and says she’s pregnant with his baby. Also her friend Tinkie has a lump that she is refusing to have checked. Th
#6 of the Sarah Booth series- This was an interesting mystery. This is the first book of this series I have read. It wasn’t bad. The main characters are Tinkie and Sarah Booth. They are PI’s and in this book they are trying to prove innocence. Allison has been accused of murdering her lesbian lover, Quinten. Tinkie and Sarah are trying to find the real killer. The mystery is unraveled along with the personal lives of Tinkie and Sarah. The writing style is witty and fun with southern flair. I enj ...more
I seem to be getting picky about my audiobooks. I started this mystery on CD and just couldn't listen to it any longer. The reader seemed fine and the story was okay. Maybe I had trouble listening because I had already solved the crime. For whatever reason, I finished this book by reading it.

Sarah Booth Delaney solves crimes in Mississippi and she seems to do it well. I just don't care enough to ever visit again. I am sure that Carolyn Haines is a good author, but I never felt involved in this s
Meg Mims
The minute I saw the cover, which is totally different from the earlier books, and read the "If you like Janet Evanovich and The Ya-Ya Sisterhood" or whatever it said, *I* said, "Uh oh." And it shows. Haines's mystery series was strong -- until now. Sarah Booth keeps moaning about the same things, the ghost has nothing much to offer new, her friend Tinkie acts so totally out of character -- and I think it's time for the author to mercifully put an end to this series.
Cute as always - only in the South is it conceivable to have a murderer preying on lapsed debutantes for social infractions. In any event, it's always a pleasure to go on a journey with Sarah Booth and Tinkie (and Jitty), though this was not my favorite - at a certain point in a series it's necessary to flesh out the characters a little more, which is what is really going on in this book, but what I've enjoyed most about this series is that they are decidedly fluffy.
Karyn Niedert
I enjoyed this book but the relationship between Coleman and Sarah Booth is getting quite tiring. Sarah Booth needs to stop kissing every guy that tries to stick his tongue in her mouth. Tinkie's character development from the 1st book in the series to "Bones to Pick" has been phenomenal.
Jonnine Ayling
love series good story
Found this on the sales rack at the San Dimas Library. The cover says "Carolyn Haines has done for the Delta what Janet Evanovich has done for New Jersey". Since I'm a big fan of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books I had to get this one to see how it compares. It was an entertaining easy read and I would read more in the series but it in no way compares to Janet Evanovich's Plum books.
EJ Knapp
This the second book by Ms Haines I've read. Can't say I've gotten bored yet, but that usually doesn't happen until the 4th or 5th book in a series. Her writing is strong, her characters well developed and she does know how to weave a good mystery. I've downloaded the eBook version from Amazon and will probably start reading it in a day or two.
Scott Wright
I have a bone to pick with this book. It takes place in the south with "proper" women, but most people are anything but proper. I just was not convinced with any of the characters. The mystery part was interesting enough I was concerned in the end. It took way too long to get into the story too. I won't read any more in this series.
I love this series. It's the kind that I know will keep until I can get to the next one in the series, but after reading Bones To Pick, I have to get the next one. I'm not the kind that will read a series from start to finish in one fell swoop, but I am getting Ham Bones to keep that feeling of the Southern spirit fresh.
Peggy Powers
These 2 best friends with their private investigator business are true Southern Bells. They call themselves, "Daddy's Girls" because their father always provided for them and still do even after they've married well. Our herione goes against the Daddy Girl mold.
The gossip columnist in the local paper is a hoot.
  • Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15)
  • Circle Of Five (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #1)
  • The Telltale Turtle (Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #2)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
  • The Thrill of the Haunt (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #5)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Bolt (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...

Sarah Booth Delaney (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Ham Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #7)
  • Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Greedy Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #9)
  • Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4) Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3) Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)

“Everyone who loves risks losing their heart every minute of every day.” 6 likes