Start by marking “Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God” as Want to Read:
Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God
Preview

Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Bestselling author and award-winning singer Rebecca St. James brings together a group of inspirational true stories about young women who gave their all for Jesus.
Published October 5th 2005 by FaithWords

To ask other readers questions about Sister Freaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister Freaks

I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisBoy Meets Girl by Joshua HarrisPassion and Purity by Elisabeth ElliotBefore You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah MallyWhen God Writes Your Love Story by Eric Ludy
Best Christian Purity Books
16th out of 98 books — 121 voters
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewBruchko by Bruce OlsonI Dared to Call Him Father by Bilquis SheikhGod's Favor - Breath Of Heaven by Michele Woolley
Salvation Biographies
12th out of 63 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayla
If you aren’t familiar with the Jesus Freaks books by DCTalk, you need to get acquainted. :D They are basically a modern version of Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, stories of men and women who gave everything for God. Well, Sister Freaks is devoted to stories solely about women. It’s really neat!

Of the 60 stories I read, I’m going to highlight 5% (that means 3) of them. Manche Masemola grew up in what is now S. Africa in the early 1910s-1920s. She heard the gospel somewhere around the age 16 and became
Loved this one, even more than Jesus Freaks!! The book profiles women who live for Christ. Unlike Jesus Freaks, Sister Freaks profiles women who have not been killed for their faith. I found the people easier to relate to, and very encouraged to read how people are ministering where they are.

The book is set to read as a devotional, but I just read it through when able.

I think this book would be especially great for high school or college women - people who are actively seeking to hear their cal
Share❤
This book was amazing! I read a chapter every morning with a cup of coffee. This book doesn't disappoint!
Jen
Very few books make me really wish for a half-star system, but this is firmly a 3.5 star book for me. (I rounded up because it was a higher rather than lower 3.5.)
Because I'm an old cad, I found myself a little frustrated with this book because it's such a pick-me-up in some ways. Not that the stories are all fluffy and cheerful--it's a bit horrifying what some of these women have been through for their faith, especially when you realize it's still happening in the "enlightened" modern age--but
NebraskaIcebergs
For a long time, I've wanted to find a book about inspiring Christian women of our times. So I happily bought Sister Freaks at a concert of one of my favorite Christian singers, Rebecca St. James. She edited this devotional, which is divided into twelve weeks: with each day featuring a mini-biography of about four pages, and each week being followed by a series of journal questions. While the subtitle, "Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God," is somewhat misleading, Sister Freaks aptly ...more
Susie Hall
Oct 16, 2013 Susie Hall rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, ladies, teenagers, upper primary girls
Recommended to Susie by: Pastors wife
Topic 9, Non-Fiction, for the ages of 8 and up.
St.James. Rebecca, (2005)Sister Freaks. Alive Communications, Faith Words, New York.

This book would be a good read for the 8-older range of young women.
This is an inspirational book for women all over the world. It shares stories of women who have laid down their lives to make a difference in the world. Amazing women such as Joan of Arc, Joy Churchill and other young people of the world, even the so called ordinary women of today like you and I.
This
Rachel
I thought that it was really good. It was really encouraging.
Kacey
stumbled upon this book on Amazon & so grateful I bought it :) i LOVE Rebecca St James & loved this book. It's set up to be read in weeks (week 1/week 2 etc) but I read it all at once.
I loved reading about people or in this case, women, who do things for/stand up for what they believe in. I think that's a beautiful trait for anyone to have.
I also recommend the Jesus Freaks books by DC Talk ( similar types of stories)
Inspirational stories of women sold out for Jesus. Here is one of my fave quotes from book:

"The world tells us that our performance, plus what others think about us, equals who we are. But that's not true. We are who God says we are. He establishes our identity, and out of that will flow our performance and our relationships, not the other way around."
Val
This book was okay, but written to a much younger audience -- high schoolers maybe. It was...okay, but even when I was a teenager I was drinking from a much deeper well of real saints and martyrs from history.
Debi
This is not the typical book that I enjoy reading. Short biographical stories of women serving God. Women who sacrificed to serve, also women who were killed.
The stories were good, but started blending together after a while.
Jaye
Very inspirational. I enjoyed the mix of stories about both modern day and historical saints. A good one to get the creative juices flowing re. how YOU are going to represent Jesus and keep His kingdom expanding :)
Jesus Christ rawx my sox!!! I AINT NOTHIN SPECIAL!
This book is about several girls who gave up their lives for Christ and how they stayed strong and stood their ground when their own family mocked and persecuted them.
I would really recomend this book.
Asha Reyes
Amazing! Loved all the stories of women who gave everything for Christ, even if it meant losing their lives. I read this book as a teenager and love it just as much now as I did then.
Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
i'm reading this book right now. it is a book of stories of women who were either Christians or became Christians. and what they have done and went through.
Carol
Some of the stories seemed repetative and they were too short for my normal tastes... the ones I really enjoyed I wanted to have more of..
Snorkle
An inspiring book that made you cringe and wonder what you could do to help spread the Gospel at the same time.
Sam Schweigert
The stories are very inspiring, they make you appreciate how free you are to believe what you want to.
Mimi
I really enjoyed this collection of inspirational stories of courage, obedience, faith and love of God.
Godsprincess
It was an inspiring book based on women who have given it their all for the cause of Christ.
Prayergirl777
It was about amazing Christian woman who did thee most outrageous things to spread God's word.
Dani
Amazing, inspirational stories about brave women of all ages!
really really really love this book. wonderful stories in it.
Robin Waters
Must read, great stories of brave courageous women!!
Strive17
I loved this book. It has some GREAT stories.
Terri Harper
Many of these stories were truly inspiring.
Meadow
Amazing book. Recomended for all teen girls
Rebeca
Such beautiful stories!!!
Cindy
very interesting book
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • Under God
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • A Young Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
Rebecca St. James, an Australian-born Christian recording artist, is both a Grammy Award winner and a multiple Dove Award recipient. She is also the bestselling author of Wait for Me, SHE Teen, and What is He Thinking. In addition, St. James has appeared in the film Sarah's Choice and lent her voice to VeggieTales' An Easter Story. www.rsjames.com
More about Rebecca St. James...
Wait for Me: Rediscovering the Joy of Purity in Romance The Merciful Scar Pure: A 90-Day Devotional for the Mind, the Body & the Spirit What Is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know About Dating, Love, and Marriage She: the woman you're made to be