Start by marking “Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God” as Want to Read:
Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God

Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Bestselling author and award-winning singer Rebecca St. James brings together a group of inspirational true stories about young women who gave their all for Jesus.
Published October 5th 2005 by FaithWords

To ask other readers questions about Sister Freaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister Freaks

I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisBoy Meets Girl by Joshua HarrisPassion and Purity by Elisabeth ElliotBefore You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah MallyWhen God Writes Your Love Story by Eric Ludy
Best Christian Purity Books
16th out of 101 books — 125 voters
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewBruchko by Bruce OlsonSon of Hamas by Mosab Hassan YousefLiving on the Devil's Doorstep by Floyd McClung
Salvation Biographies
20th out of 112 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayla
Sep 21, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
If you aren’t familiar with the Jesus Freaks books by DCTalk, you need to get acquainted. :D They are basically a modern version of Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, stories of men and women who gave everything for God. Well, Sister Freaks is devoted to stories solely about women. It’s really neat!

Of the 60 stories I read, I’m going to highlight 5% (that means 3) of them. Manche Masemola grew up in what is now S. Africa in the early 1910s-1920s. She heard the gospel somewhere around the age 16 and became
Aug 09, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
Loved this one, even more than Jesus Freaks!! The book profiles women who live for Christ. Unlike Jesus Freaks, Sister Freaks profiles women who have not been killed for their faith. I found the people easier to relate to, and very encouraged to read how people are ministering where they are.

The book is set to read as a devotional, but I just read it through when able.

I think this book would be especially great for high school or college women - people who are actively seeking to hear their cal
Tessa
Apr 24, 2016 Tessa rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I have such mixed feelings about this book and I'm not completely sure why. There are stories of incredible women like Joan of Arc as well as women from our time who have powerful testimonies. I think maybe what bothers me about the book is the impression it gives (probably unintentionally) of, "If your life isn't radical like this you're not doing enough." And that's simply not true. It feels like the book glorifies the women and their choices to obey the Lord more than it glorifies the work th ...more
Ruthie C.
Jan 04, 2016 Ruthie C. rated it it was ok
I didn't read the whole thing, just flipped through and read parts, but it was okay. Some stories were pretty cool, and others had me going.... really? I guess some people would like this book, but it wasn't for me. :)
Sher❤
Oct 12, 2011 Sher❤ rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I read a chapter every morning with a cup of coffee. This book doesn't disappoint!
Jen
Aug 29, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Very few books make me really wish for a half-star system, but this is firmly a 3.5 star book for me. (I rounded up because it was a higher rather than lower 3.5.)
Because I'm an old cad, I found myself a little frustrated with this book because it's such a pick-me-up in some ways. Not that the stories are all fluffy and cheerful--it's a bit horrifying what some of these women have been through for their faith, especially when you realize it's still happening in the "enlightened" modern age--but
NebraskaIcebergs
Dec 28, 2011 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
For a long time, I've wanted to find a book about inspiring Christian women of our times. So I happily bought Sister Freaks at a concert of one of my favorite Christian singers, Rebecca St. James. She edited this devotional, which is divided into twelve weeks: with each day featuring a mini-biography of about four pages, and each week being followed by a series of journal questions. While the subtitle, "Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God," is somewhat misleading, Sister Freaks aptly ...more
Susie Hall
Oct 16, 2013 Susie Hall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone, ladies, teenagers, upper primary girls
Recommended to Susie by: Pastors wife
Topic 9, Non-Fiction, for the ages of 8 and up.
St.James. Rebecca, (2005)Sister Freaks. Alive Communications, Faith Words, New York.

This book would be a good read for the 8-older range of young women.
This is an inspirational book for women all over the world. It shares stories of women who have laid down their lives to make a difference in the world. Amazing women such as Joan of Arc, Joy Churchill and other young people of the world, even the so called ordinary women of today like you and I.
This
Peyton
Nov 18, 2015 Peyton rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. Some of the stories were not as good as others..but overall I enjoyed them!!
Rachel
May 25, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I thought that it was really good. It was really encouraging.
Renee' Williams
Jul 11, 2014 Renee' Williams rated it it was amazing
Great
Kacey
stumbled upon this book on Amazon & so grateful I bought it :) i LOVE Rebecca St James & loved this book. It's set up to be read in weeks (week 1/week 2 etc) but I read it all at once.
I loved reading about people or in this case, women, who do things for/stand up for what they believe in. I think that's a beautiful trait for anyone to have.
I also recommend the Jesus Freaks books by DC Talk ( similar types of stories)
Aug 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Inspirational stories of women sold out for Jesus. Here is one of my fave quotes from book:

"The world tells us that our performance, plus what others think about us, equals who we are. But that's not true. We are who God says we are. He establishes our identity, and out of that will flow our performance and our relationships, not the other way around."
Val
This book was okay, but written to a much younger audience -- high schoolers maybe. It was...okay, but even when I was a teenager I was drinking from a much deeper well of real saints and martyrs from history.
Adrielle
Nov 04, 2015 Adrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very inspiring read which is meant to partly be devotional. It is about women who have and do live for Christ, their struggles and their successes. While I enjoyed this immensely, it is heavy and I'd imagine would be quite a chore if you planned to read it straight through.
Debi
May 22, 2009 Debi rated it liked it
Shelves: biographical
This is not the typical book that I enjoy reading. Short biographical stories of women serving God. Women who sacrificed to serve, also women who were killed.
The stories were good, but started blending together after a while.
Jayne
Jul 20, 2010 Jayne rated it really liked it
Very inspirational. I enjoyed the mix of stories about both modern day and historical saints. A good one to get the creative juices flowing re. how YOU are going to represent Jesus and keep His kingdom expanding :)
Jesus Christ rawx my sox!!! I AINT NOTHIN SPECIAL!
This book is about several girls who gave up their lives for Christ and how they stayed strong and stood their ground when their own family mocked and persecuted them.
I would really recomend this book.
Asha Reyes
Jun 21, 2012 Asha Reyes rated it really liked it
Amazing! Loved all the stories of women who gave everything for Christ, even if it meant losing their lives. I read this book as a teenager and love it just as much now as I did then.
Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women
Shelves:
i'm reading this book right now. it is a book of stories of women who were either Christians or became Christians. and what they have done and went through.
Carol Jen
Jan 01, 2010 Carol Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Some of the stories seemed repetative and they were too short for my normal tastes... the ones I really enjoyed I wanted to have more of..
Jan 08, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book that made you cringe and wonder what you could do to help spread the Gospel at the same time.
Sam Schweigert
Aug 07, 2011 Sam Schweigert rated it really liked it
The stories are very inspiring, they make you appreciate how free you are to believe what you want to.
Mimi
Aug 21, 2010 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection of inspirational stories of courage, obedience, faith and love of God.
Godsprincess
Nov 04, 2012 Godsprincess rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
It was an inspiring book based on women who have given it their all for the cause of Christ.
Prayergirl777
Apr 03, 2008 Prayergirl777 rated it it was amazing
It was about amazing Christian woman who did thee most outrageous things to spread God's word.
Dani
Aug 22, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing
Amazing, inspirational stories about brave women of all ages!
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
really really really love this book. wonderful stories in it.
Robin Waters
Sep 06, 2009 Robin Waters rated it it was amazing
Must read, great stories of brave courageous women!!
Strive17
Apr 20, 2009 Strive17 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has some GREAT stories.
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • Under God
  • Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free, Companion Guide
  • A Short Life of Jonathan Edwards
  • Spiritual Misfit: A Memoir of Uneasy Faith
  • What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms
Rebecca St. James, an Australian-born Christian recording artist, is both a Grammy Award winner and a multiple Dove Award recipient. She is also the bestselling author of Wait for Me, SHE Teen, and What is He Thinking. In addition, St. James has appeared in the film Sarah's Choice and lent her voice to VeggieTales' An Easter Story. www.rsjames.com
More about Rebecca St. James...