Start by marking “Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the tradition of Kay Redfield Jamison’s An Unquiet Mind, Acquainted with the Night is a powerful memoir of one man’s struggle to deal with the adolescent depression and bipolar disorder of his son and his daughter.

Seven years ago Paul Raeburn’s son, Alex, eleven, was admitted to a psychiatric hospital after leaving his fifth-grade classroom in an inexplicable rage. He
Published June 14th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Acquainted with the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acquainted with the Night

The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenAn Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield JamisonThe Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins GilmanSurviving the Fourth Cycle by Nathan Daniels
Memoirs of Madness
53rd out of 220 books — 295 voters
Autistic blessings and Bipolar me. by E.J. PlowsThe Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie AutumnGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenAn Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield JamisonMadness by Marya Hornbacher
Best bipolar/schizophrenia books
36th out of 87 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Nov 10, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
A few months ago, I read an advance copy of science writer Paul Raeburn's new memoir, Acquainted with the Night. In it, he chronicles how first his son, then his daughter, fell into the grip of violent and frightening manic depression. It's the print equivalent of Weezer's infamous Pinkerton album: something so raw and personal that you want to look away.

Raeburn and his wife Liz had three children: Matt, Alex, and Alicia. When the children were about 15, 11, and 9, Alex began to have behavior pr
Emilia
Nov 29, 2008 Emilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in mental health issues, especially involving children/teens
Shelves: non-fiction
Raeburn is a skilled writer and his memoir of a family stricken with the pain of depression and bipolar disorder was hard to put down. His story hit very close to home, as my eldest daughter was also diagnosed bipolar while still quite young (10 yrs old) and I faced the same struggles he recounts. Reading his account infuriated me (the fights w/ insurance companies, the dearth of mental health services, esp. for kids, etc) but it was also somewhat cathartic. I wept for him and his family but als ...more
Margaret
Feb 14, 2014 Margaret rated it it was ok
I am grateful that Raeburn was willing to write the story of his family's struggle,but it is a difficult read. Not just because of the many sad things that happen, but because it is not told exactly chronologically or thematically, and includes memoir as well as information about mental healthcare for children. It's incredibly wrenching to read of his struggles in his marriage and in parenting. he doesn't pretty things up for the reader.
Rebs
May 12, 2014 Rebs rated it really liked it
Very honest and introspective with well done research on the state of mental health systems in the US
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it it was ok
This is a book about the author's children who became mentally ill. His son with biopolar disorder and their daughter from severe depression. It follows the children through stays in mental hospitals, medications, suicide attempts, etc. I stopped about halfway through because it was too depressing. The book also contains a subplot about the author's failing marriage. He and his wife were headed for a nasty divorce and this was obviously exacerbating the kids' problems.
Carrie
Nov 19, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Did not finish, but liked what I read. It was too hard for me to read at the time as my own daughter had just been diagnosed. I plan to go back and finish it some time.
Melody Joy
May 18, 2012 Melody Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: memoire-travel
A journalist's memoire about trying to decipher parenting his mentally ill children. Tough read, but insightful. Definately has a journalist's tone of voice throughout.
Donna
Jun 05, 2008 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is hard for me to read with becoming overwhelmed with anxiety about raising my own children. He really brings you into his struggles.
Martha Phillips
Feb 13, 2013 Martha Phillips rated it it was ok
To sum up: How to irretrievably f*ck-up your kids through your appalling parenting.

the end.
Vanessa
Dec 22, 2012 Vanessa rated it liked it
fascinating story.
terribly parenting.
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
eve
eve marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mediana
Mediana marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Tami Murray
Tami Murray marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Maria Baronov
Maria Baronov rated it really liked it
toni daphne jones
toni daphne jones rated it liked it
Mary Jean
Mary Jean rated it really liked it
Jenni Colucci
Jenni Colucci marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Brigitte Hutz
Brigitte Hutz marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2015
alisha
alisha rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Soonha
Soonha marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Ujjual
Ujjual marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
farah
farah added it
Oct 15, 2015
Courtney Ali
Courtney Ali marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders
  • On the Edge of Darkness: Conversations About Conquering Depression
  • Malignant Sadness: The Anatomy of Depression
  • Under Observation: Life Inside the McLean Psychiatric Hospital
  • Me, Myself, and Them: A Firsthand Account of One Young Person's Experience with Schizophrenia
  • Autopsy of a Suicidal Mind
  • Struck by Living: From Depression to Hope
  • The Day the Voices Stopped
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • The Ghost in the House: Motherhood, Raising Children, and Struggling with Depression
  • Crazy in America: The Hidden Tragedy of Our Criminalized Mentally Ill