Start by marking “Birthright” as Want to Read:
Birthright

Birthright

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  19,771 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews
When five-thousand-year-old human bones are found at a construction site in the small town of Woodsboro, the news draws archaeologist Callie Dunbrook out of her sabbatical and into a whirlwind of adventure, danger, and romance.While overseeing the dig, she must try to make sense of a cloud of death and misfortune that hangs over the project-fueling rumors that the site is ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Jove Books (first published April 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Birthright, please sign up.

Megan Poggi Suzanne Cullen was rich because of the business she grew. Doug accused Callie of being after her money because this wasn't the first time that Susan…moreSuzanne Cullen was rich because of the business she grew. Doug accused Callie of being after her money because this wasn't the first time that Susan and other people though that she found her daughter and the other people who she thought was her daughter has attempted to use her before. Doesn't matter if Callie came from a good/"rich" home, regardless of any situation money can make people to a lot of mean things.(less)

jenjn79
Dec 22, 2008 jenjn79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic suspense fans
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
This is another one of my favorite Nora Roberts books, which I say about most of the books of hers that I review. But with her having written so many, it makes sense to have a lot of favorites. Regardless, this is a favorite, though I know more than a few fans didn't care for this one. I enjoyed it a lot, though, for several different reasons.

Birthright is a story that starts out in the past with a young mother, Suzanne Cullen, taking her young son Doug and her infant daughter Jessica to see San
Yomi M.
Rating Clarification: 3.5 stars

I did enjoy it but I felt like the ending fell a bit flat. I would have liked it that we saw what happened with both of the families.
Alex is The Romance Fox
Another great book by Nora Roberts - definitely my favorite romance author. I never tire of reading her books over and over again....something always gets me to pull her books out and start again!!!

Birthright gives us yet another great heroine, Callie Dunbrook, an archaeologist, who arrives in a small town to study humans bones that are believed to be buried in what is suspected, sacred ground.
She's a very interesting character and so is her ex-husband, Jake Dunbrook, also an archaeologist, who
Ramla Zareen Ahmad
3.5 STARS
=Good
=Quite Enjoyable
=I liked it...!

Molly Jo
Nov 26, 2011 Molly Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books
What I love about Nora Roberts is her focus on connections and relationships, whether they are families, lovers, friends, whatever. It's absolutely central to every story. In her trilogies, there are always 6 main characters: 3 men, 3 women. Obviously, they will pair up, but there are also deeper connections made within the group. The conflict or mystery of the plot will not get solved until all the characters work together, and there's always a part of the story that each pair works on together ...more
Jane Stewart
Aug 29, 2015 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Kept my interest. Audiobook narrator was fabulous.

I had a few quibbles: Things dragged and were repetitive when the mother talked about her grief and angst over her baby’s kidnapping. Heroine was stupid to chase a bad guy with a gun when her only weapon was a can of insecticide spray. I wanted to see how the bad guy was able to get victims tied up in the final scene. It was hard to believe.

But still, I enjoyed it. There is mystery about who kidnapped the baby. There is suspense and m
Beth
Jan 26, 2016 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Apparently Seconal is to Nora Roberts as arsenic is to Agatha Christie.

More relevantly, this book has good people: Callie, who's a uniquely peppery, brilliant, confused professional; Jake, who's as smart and compelling; Doug, who's a quiet, fabulous supporting character; and Lana, who's mostly a stereotype but who has the greatest kid. There are both moms - and then there's the wackiest, conspiracy-est, most convoluted string of crimes I've read in a long while. (And keep in mind that I just rea
Lee
Aug 25, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
Until now, I'd avoided popular writers, such as Nora Roberts out of pure snobbery. However, after realizing grad school and several years of teaching had put me off of reading (and fried my brain), I started seeking books with good plots--and not too much else to analyze. Just the first few pages of this book drew me in. I felt--as far as a story that centers around a good plot--that this was a well-written book. It's a bit predictable, especially with relationships, but it's always enjoyable. I ...more
Shei Belikov
Aug 10, 2015 Shei Belikov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encontraba sin saber qué leer y como suelo hacer en esos momentos recurrí a una de las autoras que nunca me decepciona.

Me encantó el libro aunque me faltó un epílogo más largo, necesitaba más detalles para quedar plenamente satisfecha, de igual forma fue una lectura que disfruté un montón.

Le doy 4.5 porque me faltó saber más detalles sobre como quedarían varias cosas.
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 2003
Length: 494 pages
Setting: Contemporary, mostly at an archaeological site on Antietam Creek, near Woodsboro, Maryland.
Sex: Explicit. Infrequent. Between more than one couple.
Hero: Anthropologist
Heroine: Archaeologist.
Trigger: Child kidnapping. No abuse.

One of Roberts’ long romantic-suspense books, heavy on the story, light on the romance. Enjoyable enough for what it is.

Basically, Roberts gives us a riff on fate and circles and how what happened yesterday,
Noelle
This was a reread for me and still one of my favorites. It does start out a bit slow but then it picks up after about page 150 or so and never slows down again.

Callie (h) is an archaeologist and when some bones are found that turn out to be 5000 years old, she's called out to work the dig. While assembling her team she asks for the best of the best, when they start arriving one of those turns out to be her exhusband Jake (H). It has been almost a year since the divorce and she still hurts over w
Jimmyjane
Jan 12, 2008 Jimmyjane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cotton-candy, cupcake
Callie and Jake- my all-time favorite Nora Roberts pairing, thus far. I never thought I'd love a couple who have already been through the meet, the romance and the marriage and divorce before we even get introduced- usually I get hooked on that high of the first contact. But this turned my "usual" on its head, because the snap and crackle of lust and love that hadn't been fully doused when it was walked away from, it caught me, hook, line and sinker, from the first heated look, the first scathin ...more
Carrie
Goodreads burped and my review was lost. So just a quick summary:

Suspense plot weak with little character development and not enough information to even attempt to figure out the mystery. Reasons and motives were unclear.

Relationship development was much better and kept me reading the book. I liked Callie and Jake, and felt Roberts did them justice. Secondary characters were fun, as well.

This book has some similarities to Cry No More by Linda Howard, although the latter book is a much better sto
Paraphrodite
Jan 09, 2016 Paraphrodite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016
What if you not only find out you're adopted but that you were snatched from your birth mother when you were a baby? Would you try to find out who's responsible or leave it alone?

This was an enjoyable romantic suspense from Nora Roberts.
Lidia
Oct 23, 2016 Lidia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siempre me cuesta puntuar a Nora. No sé si peco por defecto o por exceso. Por defecto porque escribe realmente bien, hila bien las tramas policiales, tiene a unos protagonistas fuertes e independientes (pero de verdad, no fingidos, no de los que diez capítulos después son todo comportamientos dóciles y pavos en nombre del amor...). Por exceso porque siempre me quedo con ganas de que me emocione mucho más, de que me crea a pies juntillas que ellos son tal para cual.
Creo que, ésta es una de las po
Mar 28, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I enjoyed the main romance that was going on as well as the secondary romance that was playing out too.

Jake and Callie are so good together. So charming and funny and perfect for each other. Callie was so wonderfully NOT a typical romance character. A little tomboy-ish, rough and likes to get down in the dirt, but also strong and sarcastic. She had a good head on her shoulders and was willing to push through no matter what. Jake was right there with her and would give a
Tânia
Birthright is proof that, as one should not judge a book by its cover, one cannot judge an author by a book. Nora Roberts is an acclaimed writer who has never elicited particular interest to me beyond the natural curiosity about her success. I always told myself one day I would test her talent, which eventually happened when I read the first two books of her crime series In Death, written under the pseudonym J. D. Robb. I found it interesting but not particularly special, so I wasn’t convinced. ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4.5 STARS

"On a hot July afternoon, a worker at an Antietam Creek construction site drives the blade of his backhoe into a layer of soil — and strikes a 5,000-year-old human skull. The discovery draws plenty of attention and a lot of controversy. It also changes the life of one woman in ways she never expected...

As an archaeologist, Callie Dunbrook knows a lot about the past. But her own past is about to be called into question. Recruited for her expertise on the Antietam Creek dig, she encounter
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 04, 2012 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
This book became one of my favorite Nora Roberts books. Roberts explores multiple sides of the kidnapped child and depicts all those conflicting feelings so well! Unfortunately, I left this review too long and have forgotten much of what I wanted to be sure to say about it.

Quick summary based on my unreliable memory: the villains were a bit one-dimensional when it all comes together. That said, it kept me guessing throughout and not in a cheap way, either. I loved the exploration of Callie and J
Willow
Working in a library you notice the authors who write a lot of books. And you become intrigued by these authors with such enormous catalogs. So, while shelving I come across a LOT of Nora Roberts. Being a romance fan, you hear her name come up quite a bit. So I've taken to trying the ones whose blurbs catch my attention, and this one about a couple of hot tempered archaeologists finding themselves in a town exxploding with secrets starring their head excavator, Callie, the sort of girl with a sa ...more
Cindy
Dec 15, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good romanic thriller from Ms Roberts - this one revolves around familial relationships. The main characters are Callie and Jake - the chief anthropologist and archeologist on a dig in Maryland - and exes. They're uncovering a prehistoric settlement - and the relationship that they never quite put behind them. And then the other shoe drops as it turns out that Callie may be the daughter who was snatched at a mall 29 years earlier. There are several interesting side stories involving Call ...more
Nik
Jul 20, 2013 Nik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

A romance-suspense novel revolving around a archaeologist, Dr. Callie Dunbrook, and the turmoil her life becomes when she heads down to Woodsboro to head a dig of 5000 year old civilization and her ex-husband is now part of the team and it turns out that she is the missing child of local celebrity Suzanne Cullen. Jessica Cullen, kidnapped at three months, is Callie and now she is determined to unearth the truth. But someone is keen on keeping her aloof and the secrets buried....

With
Katherine
This story has a very strong willed female that does not always use her head. It can drive you nuts at times, but there are enough others around her that make you able to finish. I baby kidnapped at 3 mos. gets exposed when the baby has grown to a happy accomplished adult of 30. The suspense is good but not always believable. My biggest problem was, if you have people getting hurt around you and even killed, would you not stop what you are doing? Or, at least get away from them at the very least ...more
Krishanthy
I enjoyed the book only up to halfway through book and skipped lot of pages. Lot of twists through the books made really bad. Half of the book mostly contains more romance scene and the character Callie's more emotional scenes.

I liked both Jake and Cal but not the way Cal treated Jake. Relationship made between couples especially Suzanne and Jay (it's more broken why the Cullens split and join again) kept reading the book.

Finally, it was OK.
Kitty
This was just a really great story. The first two chapters are a little confusing, as several different characters and story lines are introduced, but by the third chapter, all the pieces fell into place and I was hooked. There's really more than one story going on, but they all fit together beautifully. Romance, suspense, mystery, action, lots of surprising twists... I hate to say any more because I think I liked the book even better because I didn't know what to expect.
Ofelia
Jun 23, 2016 Ofelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars It was a very suspenseful book. There were many twist and turns all throughout the book and it kept you at the edge of your seat since you don't know what is going to happen next. I very much enjoyed reading about how Jake and Callie interacted with each other. It was like one minute they hated each other and were at each others throat but the next they were all lovey lovey. This was an amazing book and I highly recommend it.
Kerry  sullivan
This was epic and sweeping and a total Page turner. It was a complex and complicated but drew me in because it was engaging. I liked all the people involved they were believable and I felt invested in the plot. I have a confession to make I realised this was a terrific book when I caught myself telling my cat I thought one of the characters was creepy. I liked that we got three romances in one book and it felt natural and the end was exciting and satisfying.
Kim
Apr 20, 2016 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Callie ended up getting better about halfway through the book. Plus I actually did not guess who the traitor was which I loved. That's never happened...even if I figure it out just before the reveal, I've always figured it out.
Jessica B
Dec 29, 2009 Jessica B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts, own, 2009
Well again, Nora Roberts delivered a suspenseful, wonderful love story. This is one of those ones where you want to kick both the hero and the heroine in the butt. Like come on, you two idiots are in love... get on with it already. But I really enjoyed it. A great read!
Jo Barton
Aug 10, 2011 Jo Barton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading a Nora Roberts book is like settling down in your favourite armchair with a packet of chocolate biscuits !
Great writing, wonderfully addictive characters, and a story to become absorbed in ...loved it.
Coffee And Charac...: Free Kindle YA Fantasy on 8/16/13! 1 4 Aug 16, 2013 08:19AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan, #4)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

“[She] knew there were women who worked successfully out of the home. They ran businesses, created empires and managed to raise happy, healthy, well-adjusted children who went on to graduate magna cum laude from Harvard or became world-renowned concert pianists. Possibly both.

These women accomplished all this while cooking gourmet meals, furnishing their homes with Italian antiques, giving clever, intelligent interviews with Money magazine and People, and maintaining a brilliant marriage with an active enviable sex life and never tipping the scale at an ounce over their ideal weight...

She knew those women were out there. If she'd had a gun, she'd have hunted every last one of them down and shot them like rabid dogs for the good of womankind.”
97 likes