Sunny Side Down: A Collection of Tales of Mere Existence

Sunny Side Down: A Collection of Tales of Mere Existence

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Lev is just like any other young, urban sub-professional who sees the world through inch-thick goggles of self-consciousness. Armed only with insecurity, doubt, and a seemingly inadvisable tenacity, Lev trudges through his days furiously analyzing himself and the world around him, desperately trying to figure out where he fits in.

If you have ever felt like a perpetual sq...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by Gallery Books

Allison
This book is utterly fun and an up-beat, with a side of depressing, read. I loved this book and I recommend it to anyone who has ever felt that they have no idea what they're doing in life.
Lani Thong
I found this book coincidentally in my friend's house since I'm gonna spend NYE 2013 with bunch of friends here. This book is started with, "For the loners, the misanthropes, and the perpetually alienated", it punched me hard in my heart when I read it, because I'm one of them; the loner, that is.

Reading the book made me smile, giggle, even laugh out loud, not the kind of laugh at happiness, but bitterness. Apparently, we need it. To laugh at bitterness. Now, don't you forget about this capabili...more
Catherine
The personal, idiosyncratic parts of the book are sad, funny and quite touching. The more generic pieces felt like unsophisticated MAD cartoons. I love Lev's narrated drawings on YouTube, so I mostly bought the book to help support him. He is right to say the end of the book isn't as coherent as the beginning. Still, the drawings are charming and the book does successfully reach out to fellow lonely people.
Maya
Feb 15, 2009 Maya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maya by: Cara
This book made me SMILE SMILE SMILE. Like hanging out with a really funny friend. But because it's just a book you don't feel overwhelmed and a little resentful that your really funny friend is dominating the conversation,
Katie
I found Lev's "Tales of Mere Existence" videos on youtube fairly recently and fell in love with them, and so when I saw my library system had this book available for request I grabbed it as soon as I could. The book is a great little collection of comics, and I found them both hilarious and depressing...but only depressing because I feel like his writing comes right out of my own head sometimes. I identify so much with a lot of his insecurities, social shortcomings/awkwardness, anxieties and fea...more
Spoonbridge
[*3.5] I have been following Lev Yilmaz's hand-drawn animation "Tales of Mere Existence" on YouTube for a few years now, always being amused by Yilmaz's blend of self-depreciation and quirky humor; having seen many of these pieces narrated by Yilmaz himself definitely helped, and I imagined his tone of voice as I read this comic collection. It is refreshing to see the everyday disappointments, anxieties, and naval-gazing of daily personal existence that we all can identify with expressed with su...more
Brendan
Like many indie comics writers, Lev Yilmaz is depressed and sad, and his comics are about that. That said, I didn't find much else to grab onto in this collection. The art isn't provocative, the depression isn't all that inspiring or interesting, and the tales are relatively limited in scope. I feel like Yilmaz's work falls somewhere in tone between Charles Schultz, Chris Ware, and Ivan Brunetti. But Ware brings poignancy and artistic prowess, Schultz brings ennui and biting social commentary, a...more
Angela
Sunny Side Down is more a collection of comics than a narrative memoir, but Lev's observations about growing up and relationships are staggeringly accurate, precise, and personal. I actually wondered, reading this, if I had dated Lev. Flipped back, looked at his photo, was pretty sure I hadn't.. but really, is it possible that we've all had the gas station argument?

The drawing is simple, at times the observations are trite, but it's a relief to finally read something by someone as optimistic as...more
Hollowspine
Sunny Side Down collects moments from Yilmaz's childhood to adult years, all filled with disappointment, misunderstanding and false bravado. I could relate to a lot of the moments, the ways we try to 'grow up' (changing our hairstyles or clothing), or fool ourselves into believing that eventually all will be revealed, something will click and suddenly we'll be different. I felt that the comics that looked more inward were more entertaining (and revealing) than the ones that seemed to be more soc...more
Allison
I found Lev through his animated shorts on YouTube. I loved them, so I ordered the book. I have to say, this book is a lot darker. It focuses a lot more on his depression, how he's not getting anywhere in life, he's a pessimist and he can't find the right girl. In his YouTube videos, there's more about all the things that everyone's thinking about, but no one talks about. Also, a lot of the cartoons in the book are the same as the YouTube videos. Over all, I would recommend just sticking with th...more
Christiane
Thank god I read this in the spring with the sun shining; do not try this during one of our forever grey winters, when everything seems hopeless. Of course, nothing could possibly be as bad as Lev's life. Luckily, amidst the utter despair, is loads of humor and uncomfortable "I've thought that exact same thing!" moments (hopefully it's not just me...) And whatever you do, don't read "I'm not going to think about her" after you've just broken up with someone (or they've dumped you. Poor Lev!) :(
dara
Sep 14, 2009 dara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: "pessimists" aka people who realize the way things are
There's something charming about these simple drawings. If I give this book too much thought, I may get depressed because I can relate to it too well. Maybe if this were available to me at a younger age, I would have been more prepared for the disappointments of life. Actually, the word "prepared" implies that the book offers some countermeasure to disappointment; it doesn't. I just mean that children should read this so they know what to expect from life: failure and loneliness. :D
Chris
FANTASTIC. This may as well be the my life - past, present, and future - all compiled collectively (and vicariously) into the miniature musings of Lev Yilmaz. Yilmaz's deadpan, self-depricating humour speaks to anyone who has felt out of place or as a loner at some point in their life. It's funny, and almost a little too honest at times, with excellent and unique art style. Definitely a gem.
Andrew
This is a fantastic comic book of stories from the creator of Tales of Mere Existence. They're very tongue in cheek and representative of how many people probably feel already. It's down to earth and sometimes a little dark and always pessimistic.

It won't take long for you to read this cover to cover, but it's definitely worth reading through every now and again.
Alan Hoffman
I'd consider giving this someone who felt depressed or had a bad breakup. Yilmaz is able to express his periodic feelings of futility while providing some laughs.

A little like Matt Groening's Life in Hell collections, though shorter and more personal.
Naz Chowdhury
this is piss
piss with ink
lev
lev man
man lev
`

I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just feel like I was pissed on with each word. And I feel like Lev would understand what I mean when I say his book was piss, piss with ink.
Amy Wheatley
More on the mid to late twenty-something end of "young adult", this collection of comics begins with a contemplation of the meaning of life and ends with an understanding of why the author can't keep a girlfriend. Funny in parts.
Joelle Hatem
Overall, I liked it. Yilmaz has a really cynical take on existentialism, which I enjoyed. But at some point, it felt too much of an American lifestyle to relate to.
Cindy
the only thing I accomplished today was to read this book between naps. A very useful day - this memoir of mere existence speaks to life on so many levels.
doreen
Enjoyable, apt and fantastic, Lev Yilmaz is able to find the best way to comment on relationships and life through his comics and illustrations.
Bess
I have to say that I've been really bored with navel-gazing "I was so weird in middle/high school" graphic novels lately.

But this I loved.
Constantino
Great illustrations of what amount to be awkward social interactions, something many people (including me) can identify with.
The YouTube videos are hilarious, but seeing them in book-form somehow makes them incredibly depressing.
D.A.
Apparently "slice-of-life" means "boring and trite." And maybe a little "please pity me."
Renald Castillo
As negative as this may sound, but it influences a lot of what I do now.
Carlos Mendez
Cuando lo leí pensé: "¿Lev, eres yo?".
Doron
A gem from start to finish
  • The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
  • The Infinite Wait and Other Stories
  • Good Eggs
  • Low Moon
  • Maggie the Mechanic
  • Thugs and Kisses (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #3)
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever!
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1)
  • Euripides III: Hecuba / Andromache / The Trojan Women / Ion (The Complete Greek Tragedies, #7)
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • Losing My Faculties: A Teacher's Story
Levni Yilmaz is a San Francisco based independent film maker, artist and publisher, best known for his “Tales of Mere Existence” animated comic series.

Each video in the "Tales of Mere Existence" series shows a series of static cartoons, which appear gradually as if being drawn by an invisible hand. Yilmaz' technique is inspired by the movie “The Mystery Of Picasso” (1956), which similarly shows Pi...more
More about Levni Yilmaz...