Start by marking “The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times” as Want to Read:
The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

From the editors of Rolling Stone magazine comes a new book, The 500 Greatest Albums of All Timea tribute to the finest popular music of all time. Whether youre looking for advice to round out your music collection or just inspiration for a heated argument, Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time is the essential guide to the best music of modern times from the wor ...more
Published November 16th 2005 by Wenner Books (first published October 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

Varmint
Jan 27, 2008 Varmint rated it did not like it
Found this lying on the table at my dentists. Never understood the whole epic mythos surrounding Rolling Stone. It's just a magazine for people so insecure they need to be told what music to like.
Steven Peterson
May 20, 2012 Steven Peterson rated it liked it
Any publication that promises to deliver the 500 Greatest Albums of All. Time is going to face a lot of questions. Fans of one group or another that don't make the list are going to be aggrieved. Or people will disagree about how high or how low a selected work rates. If nothing else these simple facts are going to lead to people discussing this compilation of the best albums of all time.

For one thing, it is simply fun to see how many albums one recalls are listed. It is cool for me to recognize
Kev D'Olivo
Oct 15, 2007 Kev D'Olivo rated it liked it
I'll admit i haven't read every word, but I'm pretty sure i've covered most of it. This is probably the only cofee table book i will ever pay much attention to but it offeres really interesting details about how albums were made and what was going on behind the scenes of some of the greatest music from the 20th century. The rankings in it really are not that good though. Theres no way in hell Sgt. Peppers is a better album than Revolver.
Christian
Sep 29, 2007 Christian rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: rock fans who don't have Internet access; if you need a red musical coffee table book
The list is interesting, the essays (for the top-rated albums) spark discussion -- although more comprehensive info can be found at Wikipedia -- but the fact of the matter is that the book doesn't really need to exist physically, as it is available in its entirety at http://www.rollingstone.com/news/stor...
Jim Townsend
Mar 08, 2010 Jim Townsend rated it it was amazing
This book was one of those "impulse borrows" from the local library. A redundant coffee-table book version of an article and list readily available at http://www.rollingstone.com/, it is a purely subjective ranking of what the musicians, writers, producers, industry insiders, and other critics who voted for them think are the greatest albums of all time. I went through my CD collection and found that I own only 96 of them; including the top seven; nine of the top ten; and ten of the top twelve. ...more
Thomas
May 16, 2011 Thomas rated it liked it
This is a fun coffee table book and gets page turns from guests. The list is clearly subjective based on the Rolling [*yawn*] Stone perspective and I can't say I really agree with the ordering at all. Nonetheless, all 500 are great albums and it's fun to look at the original cover art alongside short, interesting blurbs.
Melody
Melody rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Danny
Danny rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2008
Emily Dieken
Emily Dieken rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Sean
Sean rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Michael Bogdonoff
Michael Bogdonoff rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Brian Watson
Brian Watson rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2014
Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Ryan Carr
Ryan Carr rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2008
Patsybryant
Patsybryant rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Webnicola
Webnicola rated it liked it
May 15, 2013
Eric Hollman
Eric Hollman rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Paul Milligan
Paul Milligan rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2008
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2009
Brian &
Brian & rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Dustin C.
An argument starter!
Lucy Winkle
Lucy Winkle rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
Alessandro
Alessandro rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Rock Albums Of The 70s: A Critical Guide
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • The Rolling Stone Interviews
  • Luther: The Life and Longing of Luther Vandross
  • James Taylor Long Ago and Far Away: His Life and His Music
  • Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead: The Ten Most Innovative Lessons from a Long, Strange Trip
  • This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century
  • A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks
  • Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped
  • A Cure For Gravity: A Musical Pilgrimage