Start by marking “Oxygen Level Zero (Mars Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Oxygen Level Zero (Mars Diaries, #1)

Oxygen Level Zero (Mars Diaries #1)

Set at an experimental community on Mars in the year 2039, the Mars Diaries feature 14-year-old virtual reality specialist Tyce Sanders. Life on the red planet is not always easy, but it is definitely exciting. As Tyce explores his strange surroundings, he finds that the mysteries of the planet point to his greatest discovery-a new relationship with God. Mission 1: Oxygen ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 121 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by Tyndale Kids

To ask other readers questions about Oxygen Level Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oxygen Level Zero

Nicholas
Mar 16, 2012 Nicholas rated it liked it
The next guided reading book for my class at school (I hope), the language and storyline are both rather simplistic from an adult point-of-view. The characters are somewhat shallow in their development, but the bleak wonder of Mars is very nicely unfolded as part of the story. There is no question that this is a book directed at young children.

However at the heart of the book lie some very adult questions and issues, such as the comparative value of life and the tension between a belief in scie
VBC Grafton Library
Feb 20, 2009 VBC Grafton Library rated it it was amazing
I think the Mars Diaries: Oxygen Level Zero is very interesting. A boy named Tyce Sanders was born on Mars and lost the ability to use his legs in an experiment. Now he’s fourteen, and the science station, (called Mars Project) is in danger of losing all its oxygen. Who’s behind all this? Is the virtual reality program he’s been using real?
I like this book because of the wonderful adventure that is carried on through all the books in this series. It’s interesting that a boy in a wheelchair can
Melinda
Sep 24, 2007 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves mistery and fun!
This book has nine more in it's series so if you are interested in the first one the rest follow it to the letter. I love these books because they have a great story line that keeps you reading until your done all 10 of the books! I have read them all twice because they are so much fun! (Also for the lack of awesome books to read in our house *smile*)
They are so not real for right now but that's what keeps them so interesting. And who knows maybe in a few years we could all wake up on Mars!! lo
Bookwyrmgyrl
Spoiler Alert!

This is a great little series - set on Mars, lots of adventure, with a Christian theme that is not obtrusive. The protagonist is a boy who happens to be wheel-chair bound, who writes diary entries. He also gets to use some fabulous technology which helps him get out of his chair - so to speak. Great, quick reads - very interesting.
Aiyana
Jan 16, 2014 Aiyana rated it really liked it
Loved reading these when I was a kid. Probably more geared towards boys, but I didn't care. I'd recommend it to any little boy (or even girl, like me) looking for something fun and easy to read. I think adults who don't mind kids' books would enjoy these too.
Denae Christine
Jan 30, 2008 Denae Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery lovers and sci-fi lovers
Reader thoughts: These books were the first that got me into re-reading books. For pure, sentimental value, this series is my favorite. Sigmund Brouwer is an artful story teller, and he knows how to add just the right amount of humor mixed with mystery and suspense and exciting twists as the story progresses.

A friend of mine commented that all ten in the series are more like short stories, since they take just over an hour to read . . . and maybe they are, but all together they're as long as a r
Annette
Oct 31, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
Tyce was the first and only person born on Mars. Now he is 14, and the dome is running out of oxygen. Can this boy in a wheelchair be the one to save the people before they run out of oxygen? Virtual reality, robots, technology, mysteries around why Tyce has no use of his legs, power hungry leaders... interesting story.

Faith aspect of this book:
Tyce does not believe in God. His mom does and prays that Tyce will come to faith. Through his mom's willingness to sacifice herself and seeing how she d
Abigail
Nov 12, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing my gifted resource class (advanced class)teacher
is reading it to me and my classmates the only problem is that the chapters are too short because she reads it to us by chapter but overall the book is truly amazing

P.S. Shout out to Sigmund Brouwer for truly being my hero
Kathleen Joy
Feb 05, 2015 Kathleen Joy rated it it was amazing
Lots of surprises! It was very exciting and interesting, not a single boring part in it! The main character was great, he was smart and compelling plus he knew how to juggle! I am definitely going to read the next book. This book was so good, that I read it in one day!
Donald
Dec 29, 2012 Donald rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, sci-fi
Quick page-turning story. Shows ineptitude of dictarorial all encompassing government, even when seeking to maximize benefit for large blocks of mankind. What can happen when the intelligent suggestion of the least in the society is ignored?
Anita
Jun 05, 2013 Anita rated it it was ok
This wasn't a "bad" book. It was a bit melodramatic in places, not very nuanced, and it preached, but it had a fun premise, and the conclusion to its dominant mystery wasn't too cliche. I read this some years ago, and I remember it having been more fun when I was in its intended age range.
Yravka
Mar 01, 2016 Yravka rated it it was amazing
I read this book forever ago and gave all my copies for the entire series to my school library.. I have regretted this ever since...

Can one of you please share the first sentence of the book?
I really wish I could remember it as it was the reason I loved the entire series.
Jeff
Apr 09, 2013 Jeff rated it did not like it
didn't care for it
Erin W.
Jun 13, 2009 Erin W. rated it really liked it
Really good, but the climax was a little short
Vicki
May 25, 2012 Vicki added it
Great Sci-fi teen series about Tyre and 200 scientitst & support staff establishing 1st domed society on Mars.
Lillian
Great sci-fi series about a settlement on Mars :)

Another favorite recommendation.
Ayesha Ahmed
Jan 31, 2010 Ayesha Ahmed rated it it was amazing
cool science fiction.
jon
Jan 18, 2010 jon rated it really liked it
Amazing start to a great series.
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
Tj
Tj rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Tbizzy
Tbizzy rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Rynn Mar
Rynn Mar rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Jacob Hinojos
Jacob Hinojos rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Olivia Ambrose
Olivia Ambrose rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2017
Alpine
Alpine rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2008
Reubr
Reubr rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
April Ansley
April Ansley rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Sarah Spence
Sarah Spence rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
  • The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst, #2)
  • Dragon and Liberator (Dragonback, #6)
  • Royal Deception (Royal Deception, #1)
  • Buffalo Gal
  • Oxygen (Oxygen, #1)
  • My Life as a Toasted Time Traveler (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #10)
  • Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc #1)
  • Sugar Creek Gang #1-6 Set (Sugar Creek Gang)
  • Numb
  • The Gifted Sophomores
  • City of the Cyborgs (Seven Sleepers: The Lost Chronicles, #4)
  • Elevated (Elevated Saga, #1)
  • Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 (The Softwire #3)
  • Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars
Sigmund is married to songwriter recording artist Cindy Morgan. The couple and their two young daughters divide their time between Red Deer, Alberta and Nashville, Tennessee. He loves going to schools to get kids excited about reading, reaching roughly 80,000 students a year through his Rock&Roll Literacy Show.
More about Sigmund Brouwer...

Mars Diaries (10 books)
  • Alien Pursuit (Mars Diaries, #2)
  • Time Bomb (Mars Diaries, #3)
  • Hammerhead (Mars Diaries, #4)
  • Sole Survivor (Mars Diaries, #5)
  • Moon Racer (Mars Diaries, #6)
  • Countdown (Mars Diaries, #7)
  • Robot War (Mars Diaries, #8)
  • Manchurian Sector (Mars Diaries, #9)
  • Last Stand (Mars Diaries, #10)