Start by marking “Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Of Current English International Student's Edition with CD-ROM & Oxford iWriter (8th Edition)” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  596 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A new, completely rewritten edition of the leading dictionary for learners of English. Now fully up to date, including many terms connected with the Internet and electronic communication. 4,500 words and meanings are new to this edition. Excellent coverage of both British and American English, and colloquial as well as formal English. All information is authenticated by th ...more
Published (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Asra Ghouse
A dictionary is the best book anyone can read without tiring for a second. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary offers much more than just the meanings of words. With its pictorial representations (wherever possible) and numerous examples for each word/phrase/idiom, it provides a thorough understanding of the word in the most easy manner. It also contains various word games which provide an efficient manner for memorizing the words. Also, it contains the diphthongs and monothongs which help the ...more
Anna
One of the best dictionaries I've ever used. Big, fat with large number of words, maps and pictures. Great.
Tom
Hornby, A.S. (ed.). (2010). Oxford advanced learner's dictionary (8th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Citation created by: Tom Shaw

Call Number: PE1628 .O86 2010

Description: Developed by leading scholars of the English language, this dictionary is a valuable resource for word definition and usage.

Content/Scope: Word definitions are detailed in multi-colored arrangements for easier access to entries. At more than 1700 pages, most words in the English language are contained herein including i
Alison
Dec 17, 2008 Alison is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have a dictionary in every drawer in reach. And a thesaurus (but I didn't want to come off as TOO dorky!!).... nothing's better than a good word :)
Miriam
One of the few books I never read to the end, but still a must-have.
Deborah
Great use of words but lacking in plot.
umberto
Today (May 9) I bought this paperback (8th ed.) as an essential language reference for my ongoing teaching, reading, writing, translating, verifying, etc. since this OALD has long been pioneering since six decades ago in the ELT/L field as the first monolingual English dictionary for non-native speakers of English. Such unique vision and mission by A.S. Hornby, E.V. Gatenby and H. Wakefield have since evolved into its second edition (I bought a hardcover and used it during my studies for higher ...more
Prithvi Raj
Hadi Vafaei
Simply the best! This dictionary includes everything you need, from word meanings to example sentences and illustrations, idioms, etc. Highly recommended for non-native English speakers.
You won't find a better English learning guide than this one. It also includes a writing tutor which I found really useful.
This dictionary has been my best pal since I bought it, so trust me: You won't find a better English learning guide than this one!
Tomi Pakei
Helps you think, in English!
My Hornby is a low-priced edition, thirteenth impression, 1984. Dad bought this on Sept. 26, 1985, for just about US$2 (measured in current price). I love the appendices, illustrations, codifications.. (you name it). But most of all, I love the dictionary(!). Because, as promised:
It gives practical definitions and usage notes in simple English
And for someone like me to whom English is a foreign language, this is big deal. A very big deal—especially when dealing with a
Elisabeth
First and foremost, thank you, Book. I shall never ever forget the incredibly useful knowledge and enlightenment you brought to my life and forever hold you dear to my heart.

Seriously though, this dictionary may very well be the best tool ever known to mind-kind if you want to understand the ins-and-outs of the English language.
Mai
My favorite dictionary since college.I luv it and Enjoy reading it in my free time to expand my vocabulary :)
Dimas
I think it is entitled as Advanced because I can find anything: synonims, idioms, and phrasal verbs.
David Daigneault
Perfect for people when need the dictionary!!
Lien
Oct 20, 2014 Lien added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s
go
Ellen Erasmus-morton
An excellent reference dictionary for my first year university students. Highly recommend it.
Dali48
An excellent dictionary I got as a gift with the dedication "We wish you continued success" Debesai Zemui, Nighisti Embaye (Eritreans)... 30/10/81 Ellwangen (Germany) by my pupils as a teacher for German - it has been accompanying me since then through all these years as a teacher till today as a great help additionally to the Internet... (dali48)
Oceana2602
"Leftover" from school. Guess they were renewing there collection, so we were allowed to keep these. Thanks, school. You didn't manage to teach me english, and you certainly tried to sabotage all my efforts to teach me myself, but you gave me this book. That's, you know, really nice.
André
May 25, 2008 André rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to André by: Steffi Jäcklin
Really good monolingual dictionary, with two colors, example phrases, lexical information where neccessary, pronunciation in IPA, some colored maps and illustrations and style guides... quite nice. But not perfect, there's no particular reason to give it the 5th star, so...
Dariush
It is a very nice dictionary , I have never used the paper one , when I bought that I've took the cd inside that and installed on my laptop which is very useful ! U could use as a reference of that and pretty sure u will be happy to buy it.
Kate.barnie
Feb 05, 2013 Kate.barnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone studying English :)
The one I have previously belonged to my brother, and now it's nearly falling apart as we've used it so often :)

It's extremely useful and offers pictures, explanations and plenty of examples! Oh and what an appendix xD
Inna
inget pertama beli jaman kuliah di kwitang cuma 7rebo. sampe harus dijahit punggungnya karena robek *artinya saya sering baca kan? he..he... pas discount gramedia beli lagi harganya 30reboan.....!
Angelia Fransisca Rusli
Even though this dictionary wasn't as complete as the one for current english, this is a must have book during my high school year. & it did improve my vocabulary :D
Anna
I always have it near me when I read a book in English and I need an explaination of the word. Thanx for maps and pictures in the end. Great.
Barbara Ab
Really good if you're learning English at an advanced level.
Not anymore when you're a proficiency or interested in translation.
Liudmila
This is the best dictionary I have ever used. I am using it all the time. It has also CD which is also very comfortable for using.
Abby
Hooray for dictionary's!!! what would we do without them? although... i haven't read the whole thing...
Novi Maizir
wahhh...kamus ini berguna banget (palagi pas gw masih di lia ;p )...kecil bentuknya tapi besar manfaatnya
Word Game Change One letter 1 2 Oct 18, 2013 09:00AM
Harganya Berapa Sih? 1 6 Sep 17, 2008 09:06AM
  • Practical English Usage
  • English Grammar in Use with Answers: Reference and Practice for Intermediate Students
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • Oxford Dictionary of English
  • Kamus Inggris-Indonesia (An English-Indonesian Dictionary)
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Teach Yourself Hindi
  • The Study of Language
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the English
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Essential English for Foreign Students, Book III, Students' Book (Essential English, #3a)
  • Baking Made Easy
  • Japanese Grammar
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
Guide To Patterns And Usage In English Oxford Advanced Learner's English Korean Dictionary Oxford Students Dictionary Oxford Progressive English Alternative Course Oxford Progressive English Course