Start by marking “Guinevere's Gift” as Want to Read:
Guinevere's Gift

Guinevere's Gift (Chrysalis Queen Quartet #1)

On the night of Guinevere’s birth, there was a prophecy that foretold she would one day be highest lady in the land and wed to a great king. But 13 years have passed, and the prophecy couldn’t be further off. Guinevere is now an orphan and a ward of her aunt and uncle, the king and queen of Gwynedd. Tomboyish and awkward, Gwen is no great beauty, and nobody takes the proph ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Bluefire (first published March 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Guinevere's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guinevere's Gift

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Sep 04, 2011 Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Arthur legend & especially teens
I consider Nancy McKenzie's Queen of Camelot the best Arthurian legend book I have ever read. This is a YA book by the same author. I am sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had not read Queen Of Camelot first as the first third or so of this book is very similar to the first part of the former. Queen of Camelot is told in the first person by Guinevere and this book is not told in the first person however. As this book evolves there are characters and events that were not in the other book so ...more
Emily Steele
Oct 04, 2013 Emily Steele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: term-1
Guinevere's Gift is a fairytale set just before the dark ages following Guinevere in the years leading up to marrying King Arthur. This is technically not part of a series,however, Nancy Mckenzie has written many other books on the latter life of Guinevere Pendragon.

This book is centered around the prophecy entailing that Guinevere will become the highest lady in the land by marrying the one they call "the man unconquered." No one knew who he was at the time. Never would they guess the landles
Alice
Mar 09, 2012 Alice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't end up finishing this one; it seemed like every other paragraph had something about spirits, witches, or superstitions.
Katy Wilmotte
The idea behind Guinevere’s Gift was undoubtedly to fill in the missing pages about the queen’s childhood in a fun adventure for very young adults. In some respects Nancy McKenzie succeeds at this: her book is certainly very creative, and makes for some pleasant before-bedtime reading, but in other ways it is a significant miss. Here Guinevere stars the orphaned niece of Pellinore, being raised by her steely aunt Alyse and cousins in Gwynedd while her uncle is off fighting against the Saxons wit ...more
Sabrina
Jun 03, 2017 Sabrina rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Not bad! I'd even be interested in reading the sequel if I could find it. But while I did like this book, I had some issues with it. The writing wasn't great and the characters, other than Gwen, weren't well-developed. There were also times when the characters were ridiculously stupid, which drove me crazy. All in all, it was a good story but not a great execution.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

At the time of her birth, a prophecy foretold Guinevere would one day be wed to a great king and be the highest lady in the land. Guinevere herself refuses to believe this will be so.

After all, she's thirteen years old and an orphan living at the mercy of her uncle and aunt, the king and queen of Gwynedd. She prefers riding horses to more feminine tasks, and it would be unlikely a great king would look twice at her boyish figure.

When Gwen discovers
Cassie Hawkings
Guinevere's Gift focuses on Guinevere, the young woman who would become King Arthur's Queen. In this book, Guinevere is portrayed as tom-boyish and awkward. She is also an orphan when her mother died in childbirth and her father died 5 years prior to the events of the book of old age. She is being raised by her maternal aunt, Alyse who despises her because her own father preferred her sister (Guinevere's mother) to her and Pellinore, her husband who is serving in King Arthur's army. This book is ...more
Lia
Aug 29, 2011 Lia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
So, I've been complaining in some of my recent reviews that I haven't read any books lately that I would actually want to own and re-read. It is with great pleasure that I announce that THIS book is worthy of owning and re-reading.

The thing that really impresses me about this book is how truly human the characters are. They are complex, making both good and bad decisions, thinking through what they're going to do and why, demonstrating good and bad qualities, and having their good qualities sho
Keziah
Sep 12, 2014 Keziah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really enjoyable!It is fiction.It is based on a well known legend called King Arthur.I liked how the author clearly showed the characters personalities and thoughts.

Mainly the book is about the great legend king's,(King Arthur) wife,( Guinevere ) and the story of her childhood. The setting is when there were knights and castles during King Arthur's time. Throughout the story she struggles between right and wrong choices, (especially with her cousin ,Elaine).

I was angry about how
Cc
Nov 10, 2016 Cc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1. Summary: "Guinevere's Gift" is the story of young Guinevere's first adventure. It begins when a king's evil son decides he wants her aunt's kingdom for his own. Guinevere's uncle is far away leading a war, so the kingdom is left almost completely defenseless against the oncoming battle. Only with Guinevere's amazing friends, intelligence and wits is the kingdom saved.

2. Like/dislike about book: I disliked how some of the book's issues were never resolved. It hinted at having a sequel, but ot
Shersten Rosenfeld
I randomly selected this book at the library and brought it home. As I started to read it, it seemed like an okay book, maybe something worthy of 3 stars. But after the first few chapters, this book sucked me into a world of adventure and mystery. This story tells of the glorious Guinevere of Gwynedd, King Arthur’s renowned wife. She is a scrawny 13 year old in this novel, mischievous and brave. She fights between becoming an obedient, beautiful princess to please Queen Alyse and fulfilling her ...more
Alantie
Jun 16, 2015 Alantie rated it really liked it
I've read Queen of Camelot and enjoyed it so much when I found out the author was going to write about Guinevere for a younger audience I decided to give it a go.

As this book is essentially in the same universe as Queen of Camelot, some of the things that happen are rehashing of events we know from the adult book, but it also fleshes out some more of Gwen's childhood and gives some insight to her aunt and gives a bit more understanding as to some of her actions in QoC.

I think this was perfect fo
Bmack
Jul 16, 2013 Bmack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Chrysalis Queen Quartet Series. It is a fiction story based on the girl who would grow up to be King Arthur’s queen. At birth, a prophecy was told about Guinevere that she would one day be the highest lady in the land by being married to the King. No one took the prophecy seriously as she was an orphan living with her Aunt and Uncle. Everyone thought her cousin who was more beautiful would become a queen. Guinevere, however, discovers a plot to overthrow her Aunt an ...more
Jill
Jan 18, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Guinevere's Gift is the story of 13-year-old Guinevere of Aurthurian legend. What exactly the gift is, Nancy McKenzie does not answer is so many words, but it doesn't matter. This is a satisfying adventure story about a girl who loves horses and strives to do the right thing, even at cost to herself.

This book contains alcohol consumption.
Skoo
Jul 24, 2010 Skoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good young adult novel. I started and finished it in the same day (I was flying across the country) It made the trip go really fast.
I didn't find the book to have the darkness that lots of stories have these days, and especially Arthurian tales, which was refreshing. It's a story of two different girls growing up together, and learning how to navigate in a grownup world, where their own desires don't always correspond to the adults around them. I have the next book in the series waiting
Dillan
Jun 02, 2014 Dillan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, Guin isn't just some pretty girl in a pretty world and ever man alive is trying to woo her. There is danger, trickery, and twists to events that we would have thought to play out differently. She isn't a stunning beauty, she is only a young girl, but we can see what she will become in a few years time, and that leaves you with the urge to want to read the next installment.
Amber
This book was beautifully written. Nancy McKenzie has a refreshing simplicity of style and her storytelling techniques are impeccable. I enjoyed the character that she has created for the legendary Guinevere. She is courageous, humble, and honorable, traits that I find valuable in a strong female protagonist. The plotline was exciting and I found myself unable to put it down. The whole thing has stayed with me long after I turned the last page.
Lia
Aug 07, 2013 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often have to just go through the library and search the shelves for something that looks interesting. I checked this one out and hoped for the best. I was glad I picked this book up, it was definitely worth reading. I loved it. There was great character development and the plot was interesting. It had good pacing and some fun twists. Overall it was well put together and a great book.
Fashiongirlgoldberg
This was a very good book. Unlike a lot of aruthurian books I have read, where the author tries to show how it could have really happened and it makes all the characters who I think are cool, really obnoxious, this book made Guinevere a really good character. Instead of the boring girly character a lot of books have portrayed her as, this Guinevere is much cooler.
Julie
Jun 16, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A wonderful tale of young Guinevere. The old ones believe in the prophecy concerning the young princess and watch over her. Others choose to see it as fluff. Guinevere is a charming, thoughtful, courageous and intelligent girl on the verge of womanhood who doesn't know what to believe.
Full of adventure and strong relationships, I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Ashley
Nov 16, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a suck for a good Guinevere novel and the author of this title is actually the one that started it. Her transition to a pre-Arthur period is fun, exciting and will set tweens up nicely for her adult novels.
Bianca
Jan 29, 2013 Bianca rated it it was amazing
Awesome. I loved this book. I would definetly recommend this book because it is all about friend ship and love, never mind love more about friendship and war. ( but don't worry it doesn't tell you the details about the wars)
Tifani
Apr 15, 2008 Tifani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just picked this up at the library one day knowing nothing about it. I really enjoyed this young adult book about Guinevere's journey to who she would become one day. I'm looking forward to reading more.
Catharine
Guinevere is her aunt, Queen Alyse's ward, but Queen Alyse is still jealous of her dead older sister, Guinevere's mother. When cattle start going missing, Guinevere shows her courage and loyalty and gains her aunt's favor. This was a fun story set in Arthurian times.
Faith Fishcrazy
Well it would have been kid friendly if the villan wouldn't have called the queen a... slut... and a b*tch. Several times. Also, it's a girls book un account of all the talk about a girl's body, figure, and there is some very suggestive scenes...
B
Aug 06, 2009 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fantasy
Book 1 in the Chrysalis Queen Quartet
On the night of Guinevere's birth, a prophecy foretold she would be the highest lady of the land.
Story of her adventures just before her 13 birthday and before she meets Arthur.
Story for girls grade 5 and up.
Elzbeth
Aug 31, 2010 Elzbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's an awesome twist on an old tale in this four-book series, Guinevere must deal with a prophecy she never wanted, meet a guardian she never knew she had and deal with a corrupted guard. All before she turns thirteen.
Teagan Burke
Jun 12, 2016 Teagan Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great, I have never read one like this. This beautiful girl she's smart strong and everything else. This book I couldn't put it down it was so good.
Gayle Krause
Feb 11, 2010 Gayle Krause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author took her adult novel and rewrote it as three YA novels. Goos idea. Popular in both genres. I have both adult and YA copies.
~Smiley~ :D
Jul 14, 2008 ~Smiley~ :D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves medival times and adventure
Recommended to ~Smiley~ :D by: me!! ;)
this book was rlly adeventurous.. kept ur mind wandering....i couldnt stop!!!
~sam:D
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 21, 2014 05:03PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 03:02PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 05:21PM
Same as Queen of Camelot? 2 21 Jul 22, 2008 06:33PM
  • The Lady of the Sea (Tristan and Isolde, #3)
  • Mordred's Curse
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • Daughter of Fire (Merlin's Legacy, #1)
  • I Am Morgan le Fay
  • Guinevere Evermore (Guinevere, #3)
  • Excalibur!
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Child of the Northern Spring (Guinevere, #1)
  • The Book of Mordred
  • The Well Between The Worlds (Lyonesse, #1)
  • A Thousand Never Evers
  • For Money and Love (Mob Princess, #1)
  • Gawain and Lady Green (Merlin's Harp, #2)
Nancy McKenzie is the author of several novels based on Arthurian tales. Guinevere’s Gift is her first novel for young adults. She lives in Danbury, Connecticut.
More about Nancy McKenzie...

Chrysalis Queen Quartet (2 books)
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)

“Light with thee walk; dark from thee flee.” 3 likes