Start by marking “The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)

The Japanese Corpse (Amsterdam Cops Mysteries #5)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  264 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The fifth Amsterdam Cops mystery

A beautiful waitress at Amsterdam’s most elegant Japanese restaurant reports that her boyfriend, a Japanese art dealer, is missing. The police search throughout the Netherlands and finally locate a corpse. But to find the killer, the commissaris and de Gier must travel to Japan and match wits with a yakuza chieftain in his lair.
Published April 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Japanese Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Japanese Corpse

The Discovery of Heaven by Harry MulischDe donkere kamer van Damokles by Willem Frederik HermansNooit meer slapen by Willem Frederik HermansThe Assault by Harry MulischDe avonden by Gerard Reve
The best Dutch literature
210th out of 322 books — 329 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankMax Havelaar by MultatuliThe Darkroom Of Damocles by Willem Frederik HermansThe Dinner by Herman KochThe Tea Lords by Hella S. Haasse
English translations of Dutch Literature
36th out of 127 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

James Wayne Proctor
The author really hits his stride with this one, telling a tale of our favorite flute and drum playing Dutch detectives that carries on the high standard of breezy suspense established by the several preceding it. Not that they necessarily have to be read sequentially -my first fell somewhere in the middle- but this one in particular has elements established earlier that pay off with far greater impact than if the reader were coming to this one fresh. I won't say too much. As a series generally ...more
bookczuk
I've read all the van de Wetering mysteries we could get our hands on, but in the pre-BookCrossing/Goodreads days. Really want to re-read, but need to get some jenever and herring in the house, first.

I remember the guys in Japan in this book.
Susanna
Feb 02, 2013 Susanna rated it really liked it
It evoked Japan in the 70s beautifully. The story itself isn't hard to follow and quite simple in the end. But the lush descriptions and well-drawn characters redeem it.
Stefan Percy
Oct 09, 2014 Stefan Percy rated it really liked it
Well, this, the fifth book in the Grijpstra & de Gier series, was more of a de Gier teaming up with the Commissaris novel than anything else. After a Japanese man is reported missing, and presumed dead, the investigation leads to the major Japanese crime organization and their possible involvement in the missing man's disappearance.

So, the duo pose as art dealers, travel to Japan, and try to take down a branch of the crime organization. In their time in the far east, the two of them get to e
Monica
Aug 10, 2011 Monica rated it liked it
“The Japanese Corpse” is Janwillem Van de Wetering’s fifth book in a crime series featuring Adjutant-Detective Henk Grijpstra and Detective-Sergeant Rinus de Gier...as well of course the commissaris, who often acts as a mentor to Grijpstra and de Gier.

While the books in this series are certainly outdated, they are still entertaining and very often amusing. In this fifth novel de Geir and the commissaris travel to Japan, where they experience a culture very different from their own...while Grijp
Maria Beltrami
E' un vero peccato che van de Wetering sia un autore poco conosciuto, perché le sue trame sono divertentissime e avvincenti e i suoi poliziotti quanto di meglio si possa trovare sulla piazza del noir internazionale.
Anche questa volta, in occasione di una avventura a cavallo tra l'Olanda e il Giappone, i personaggi sono squinternati al punto giusto, e il cumulo enorme di qui pro quo, incomprensioni e pasticci conduce irresistibilmente all'elegante soluzione finale.
Adorabile.
Picklefactory
The strangest entry so far in a very strange detective series. No real mystery, but an off-kilter Zen sensibility permeates the plot, which I found to be more an emotional story than simply a crime to be solved. Van de Wetering is unique.
Lynne-marie
Jan 15, 2012 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read of van de Wetering's books, the more I appreciate his off-kilter point-of-view and the quirkiness of his characters. I'm reading my way through them in the order they were written and the relationships between the three main characters develops quite nicely as does our understanding of each character to the level we are allowed to know each one: rather most the commisaris, next de Gier and less, so far at least, Grijpstra. Knowing that the author spent some time in Japan lent rea ...more
Mikee
Mar 18, 2014 Mikee rated it it was amazing
A very strange and dreamy and very good book. Unlike any other detective story I've ever read. Very Eastern. I'm a big fan of vdW.
Roxane
Apr 24, 2011 Roxane rated it really liked it
This had to be one of the strangest police procedural's I have ever read. I have no idea why – but it brought to mind the first time I watched Apocalypse Now. No – not the violence – it is the dreaminess (or to be put it more bluntly – the ‘bad trip’) that the book brought to mind – very different. Anyway - the author’s love of Japan and its people is very evident – so much so - that he seemed to have a difficult time drawing the line between good and evil (or maybe that was his intention). I lo ...more
Catherine Woodman
I find this Dutch dynamic duo (a trio if you consider the commisaire) to be amongst the most complex crime fighters in fiction. In a way it is their quirkiness that drives the series more than any other thing, including the crimes themselves. Another feature of the series is that they often leave Holland, and are out and about in the world, comparing, in this case, the culture of Japan to their own, the similarities and differences making up a large part of the narrative. This is an older book t ...more
Jemera Rone
Nov 15, 2012 Jemera Rone rated it liked it
I was induced to buy this book by very attractive, Japanese style cover. i did not look closely enough, however; the heroes are somewhat blundering and awkward Dutch detectives dispatched to Japan to solve the murder in Amsterdam of a Japanese art dealer. Although I enjoyed their appreciation of Japanese culture, the plot was contingent on very extraneous factors like a military attack on a Japanese yakuza banquet and, through the deus ex machina of a zealous Japanese cop and the CIA??
And I did
Alicia D
Mar 31, 2016 Alicia D rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
couldn't finish. just too dull and trying to hard.
Angela Natividad
Feb 01, 2016 Angela Natividad rated it it was amazing
The best of this series I've read so far. Pensive, slow-moving, complicated and sad. Then it just powers on.
Yooperprof
Jan 26, 2010 Yooperprof rated it it was amazing
This was the fifth of van de Wetering's "Amsterdam Cops" series, and favorite so far, by a considerable margin. There's really not so much crime solving in this one, but the Japanese setting fascinated me, and there was some striking character development as well. And now I'm very curious more about the Yakuza, the Japanese crime syndicate!
John
Mar 12, 2012 John rated it really liked it
most interesting amsterdam cop series, with the constable and beat cop partners, and the old comisaris riding herd on them great, quirky characters; the more you read these books, the more you like them. there are even a couple of these mysteries that take place in Maine (after the author moved here).
Christy Young
Jul 06, 2011 Christy Young rated it did not like it
This is the second book by this author that I've read and I've decided I do not like this author. He/she is very choppy and short with their chapters and thoughts. The book ended just out of nowhere with no real conclusion. I won't be reading them again. I'm glad I got them at the thrift store.
Tim
Jul 24, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
The Japanese Corpse, lets the Zen of the author return to its Japanese home. Another mystery to be read more for the dialogue and the characters and the locations (1970s Holland and Japan) than the particular plot which moves at a slow and fanciful pace.
Rita
Of some interest because of the Japanese setting. Sometimes amusing, occasionally insightful cultural contrast when 2 A'dam crime specialists do a job in Kyoto. Not always credible. Language use mostly rather bad. I notice quite a lot of Dunglish sentences.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
A yakuza art dealer goes missing in Amsterdam. The detectives must travel to Japan to find out the mystery. Very good book, but strangely dated.
Gerrie
Jan 22, 2008 Gerrie rated it liked it
Quick read, good crime mystery author. Like him because the stories take place in Amsterdam
Kit
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 Vanlilith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Cp
Cp rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
David Keffer
David Keffer rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2016
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • Grave Intent  (Jan Tommen Investigation #2)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Dial Me for Murder (Paige Turner, #5)
  • After the Silence (Amsterdam Quartet, #1)
  • The Library Paradox (Vanessa Duncan)
  • Another Time, Another Life (The Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Murder Down Under
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • The Blackheath Poisonings: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • The ABCs of Handwriting Analysis: The Complete Guide to Techniques and Interpretations
  • The Social History of the Machine Gun
  • On Language
  • When the World Shook: Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot
  • Law of Return (Tejada, #2)

Amsterdam Cops Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Tumbleweed