Start by marking “Weedflower” as Want to Read:
Weedflower

Weedflower

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,244 Ratings  ·  470 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Sumiko feels her life has been made up of two parts: before Pearl Harbor and after it. The good part and the bad part. Raised on a flower farm in California, Sumiko is used to being the only Japanese girl in her class. Even when the other kids tease her, she always has had her flowers and family to go home to.

That all changes after the horrific events of
Published June 30th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Weedflower, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kristl
Apr 29, 2007 Kristl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone! especially teens, WWII & Arizona history aficionados
I am so satisfied that Cynthia Kadohata's Weedflower was chosen as the One Book Arizona for Kids for 2007 because I likely might not have gotten to it just yet, if at all.

Having just finished it-minutes ago, my thoughts are fresh and still congealing, which is not how I would normally write a review. However, it has been a long while since I've reached the end of a book-especially one written so quietly and unaffectedly-and had the urge to just cry.

I had to reflect upon the reason for this sudde
Anne Osterlund
May 28, 2016 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sumiko lost her parents in a car accident years ago. She and her brother are lucky. Lucky that her aunt and uncle have taken them in.

But Sumiko is not certain she will ever belong. How can anything be certain with war on the horizon, Japan the assailant, and her own family viewed as the enemy? The internment camp in the desert feels like both a prison and a refuge. At least here, she will not be attacked.

Perhaps she will stay here forever. In this place beyond the rules of tradition, society, an
Helvry Sinaga
Bagaimana rasanya kesepian? bagaimana rasanya bosan? bagaimana rasanya meninggalkan kamp? Itulah pertanyaan-pertanyaan yang diajukan Sumiko dan ia sendiri yang menjawabnya.

Novel ini bercerita tentang kehidupan keluarga Jepang-Amerika pada masa perang dunia ke-2. Sumiko, seorang gadis berumur dua belas tahun tinggal bersama Pamannya yang bernama Hatsumi, Bibinya (namanya tidak disebutkan dalam novel), Kakeknya, Masanori Matsuda yang dipanggil Jichan, dua sepupunya yaitu Ichiro dan Bull, dan adikn
Roos
Apr 30, 2009 Roos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roos by: Furious
Shelves: novelia, 2009
Kerri
Most kids don’t even realize that when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, we treated all Japanese like outcasts. We took them from their homes and put them in “camps” so that they would no longer be a part of American society. In some cases, we were not much better than the Germans because we treated them horribly simply because they were a different race. This book is interesting to use to find out more about what conditions these people lived in. Not a ton of action, but a lot of information an ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked this one better than Kira-Kira. This one is about a Japanese American girl in a concentration camp in Arizona in World War II. Pair it with Dear Miss Breed by Joanne Oppenheim.
Imas
Oct 26, 2011 Imas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karya-perempuan
Sumiko, gadis kecil berusia 12 tahun warga Amerika Serikat keturunan Jepang dibesarkan oleh keluarga paman dan bibinya di perkebunan bunga di California setelah kecelakaan lalu lintas yang menewaskan kedua orang tuanya.

Sumiko sudah terbiasa menjadi satu-satunya orang Jepang dikelas dan menjadi bahan ejekan, namun dia bahagia karena masih memiliki keluarga adiknya Tak tak, kedua sepupunya Ichiro dan Bull, kakeknya Jiichan dan tentu saja Paman dan bibi serta kebun bunga yang dirawat dengan kesung
mitchell k dwyer
Dec 27, 2011 mitchell k dwyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Twelve-year-old Sumiko lives on a flower farm in northern California with her little brother, her aunt and uncles, and her grandfather. In every way, hers is like other American farming families: every member does his or her part to keep things running, there is never a shortage of work to be done, and complaining is both pointless and unheard-of.

In a few ways, Sumiko's is unlike many farming families, because her grandfather came to America from Japan. Although Sumiko doesn't look like her cla
Kelly
Feb 11, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quiet novel, taking on a complicated situation with sensitivity and revealing some frequently forgotten pieces of history (such as the connection between interned Japanese Americans and Native Americans). However, while the history is interesting and the summary sounded promising, this novel did not live up to its potential for me. The narrative reads a little too young and while the character's situations evoke great empathy, the characters themselves (including the protagonist Sumiko) remain ...more
Remy
Apr 23, 2015 Remy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this for middle-grade readers interested in learning more about the Japanese-American experience in the internment camps during World War II. We have the chance to really get to know Sumiko, the main character, as her family is forcibly removed from their flower farm in California to a reservation in Arizona. Internal strife and racist attitudes--not only towards the Japanese but also between the Mohave, the Japanese and the mostly white government--are unflinchingly portrayed ...more
Amaley
Feb 21, 2015 Amaley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read
රටවලවල මිනිසසු ඉනනවා නෙමෙයි, මිනිසසු කියනනෙ රටවල.. ඒත මට තේරෙනනෙ නැතතෙ රටවලවලට යුදධ කරන දුරජනයනට මිනිසසු කියන එකයි.. මගේ ගෙවතතෙ පුංචි මල උයනෙ ඉනන කොට කුණුවලට ආදරය කළ පුංචි ගැහැණු ළමයාව කොචචරක මතක කරනන පුළුවනිද? මම කියවලා නැති වෙනස දේවල! මම නොදනනා කතාවක.. ඒත, එකම උණුසුම සුනදර හදවත!

අමරිකාවේදී රතු ඉනදියානු යෞවනයෙකුට ආදරය කරන ජපන ගැහැණු ළමයෙක!

"මම දැන ලොකු ගෑණු ළමයෙක"
"සංවේදියි" ඔහු සෙමින කීවේය.
"එතකොට, ඔයා?" ඈ ඇසුවාය.
"ඔයාගේ අමමලා තාතතලා මොනවද කරනනේ?"
"මගේ අමමා ගෝතරික ලේකම" ඔහු සිය ඇස ඇය වෙතින ඉවතට ගෙන
DubaiReader
Aug 20, 2015 DubaiReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well balanced narrative.

I listened to this as an unabridged audiobook, narrated by Kimberly Farr, and was particularly impressed that it told, not only the story of the internment of the Japanese, but also the effect this had on the indigenous Indian population, whose land they were encamped on.

We first meet Sumiko, in the days before WWII, living in California. She is the only Japanese girl in her class, but it has never been much of a problem; she has her family and her part in the running o
Stacy Nyikos
Sep 03, 2016 Stacy Nyikos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most stirring Supreme Court cases I read while teaching constitutional limitations was the 1941, U.S. vs. Korematsu, which posed that the U.S. government had violated the civil rights of Japanese-Americans they had forced into internment camps during World War II. The Supreme Court ruled that while the U.S. government had violated its citizens’ rights, the state of war outweighed those rights and made the internment legal.
This background knowledge and prior, personal conflict with t
Tessa
Mar 20, 2015 Tessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I had high hopes for this book. I really loved Kira Kira from this author, but this novel somehow felt flat for me. I loved the beginning, but somehow along the way it became very boring. I couldn't care anymore what happened to our main character and the ending was not really that. It lacked soul, so to say.

Sumiko is a bright charming character, but after she enters the camp her voice failed to surprise me. It's like she lost her childlike charm and all her worries were about how are they going
Beth
I hated for this book to end, and, in fact, the ending is the only place I would quibble with it.. I felt like it was kind of abrupt and a bit dissatisfying (sequel coming maybe?).

Other than that, it was another showcase for Kadohata's mastery as a storyteller and word weaver. Although the story is told in third person, we are IN Sumiko's head, and we see the world so poignantly and honestly, with her eyes.

Even the least consequential characters are clear and real, and Kadohata has managed to
Donna
I enjoyed this one. This is another book for middle grade children about a slice of life from WWII. This covers life in Japanese internment camps. I loved the voice of Sumiko (aka: Weedflower). She is a 12 year old American born Japanese who has been given a lot of life changes in her short life thus far. The author did a great job with making the voice of this character sound incredibly authentic to her age. I loved that. This story encompasses bonds of family love, friendship, and blooming whe ...more
Isabella Spuler
Feb 10, 2016 Isabella Spuler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Before I read "Weedflower," I knew very little of what happened to Japanese citizens after the bombings at Pearl Harbor. This book really gave a good insight on what the American government did to Japanese people living on the west coast. The plot line of this book was good and kept my attention. The author did a great job of conveying the thoughts and feelings of the people that were being taken out of their homes and put into interment camps. This book was not graph ...more
Brandon
Nov 28, 2009 Brandon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was completely boring. In my opinion this book flat lined the entire time. If you want to learn a bit about the times of when the Japanese internment camps happened, than go Google it. Weedflower was just dull the entire time I read it. This book just needed some action or something to spice it up.

I learned that even historical fiction can be very boring.
Analee
Dec 02, 2008 Analee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Analee by: Marisa
This book was very good. I really enjoyed reading it. It was very insightful of a culture I know little about. I thought it was much better than the authors award winning book Kira, Kira.
Steffie Zenn
Aug 11, 2014 Steffie Zenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Cynthia Kadohata. I feel like she can really portray what it is like living as a Japanese-american girl during war times.
™yourbeautifulnightmaree™
Nov 03, 2007 ™yourbeautifulnightmaree™ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody over 9
this is a great story tht you will never forget! i oved this book because it showed the hardships of being in the Japanise camps.
Carol
Jun 08, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young, Japanese-American girl is sent to an internment camp in Arizona during WWII and learns how to survive and thrive in hot, awful conditions.
Chad
Dec 20, 2012 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh, seems like something I'm supposed to like. A little too historical-y and not enough sadness of a true crime by the government. Bonus points for the mentioning of Quakers though.
Amel Armeliana
Dec 19, 2011 Amel Armeliana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-contemp
One of my favorite book and Cynthia is one of my favorite author.
harri pratama
Apr 05, 2010 harri pratama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Konon negara Amerika adalah negara yang paling menjunjung hak asasi manusia dari segala golongan. Namun kemenangan Barrack Obama, seorang kulit hitam, yang berhasil menduduki kursi nomor satu di negara tersebut, malah menunjukkan hal sebaliknya. Diskriminasi ras nyata tampak di sana. Beberapa dinding rumah warga kulit hitam, misalnya, dicoreti dengan kata-kata yang melecehkan, yang, takjauh dari seputar warna kulit.

Jika menyoal rasisme di Amerika tampaknya lebih identik dengan diskriminasi kulit
Helna
Mar 23, 2009 Helna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, terjemahan
Dalam bukunya ini, Cynthia melakukan riset mendalam tentang kisah-kisah yang terjadi setelah serangan tersebut, meskipun kisah ini fiktif, namun kisah-kisah yang dilatarbelakangi oleh sejarah sayang untuk dilewatkan.

Weedflower diceritakan dari sudut pandang gadis kecil Sumiko (12 tahun), yang merupakan gadis asli keturunan Jepang namun lahir dan besar di Amerika.

Weedflower atau bunga liar adalah julukan untuk Sumiko yang gemar menanam bunga liar yang akhirnya membawa kecintaan terhadap tanaman b
Becky B
Sumiko lives on a flower farm in California with her Aunt, Uncle, Jichan (Grandpa), two older cousins Ichiko and Bull, and her little brother, Tak-Tak. Her parents died many years ago in a car accident, but her extended family lovingly cares for her and Tak-Tak, and Sumiko loves working with the flowers before and after school. She especially loves the stock they grow, known in Japanese as kusabana "weedflowers." Life is good and normal, until the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor. Even though the enti ...more
Courtney
Dec 31, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very insightful book that I learned a lot from. Sumiko and her family are much more traditional than families in other books about Japanese internment that I have read, so that added some new perspective. I also had my interest piqued about the Poston internment camp. The paralleling of the Japanese experience with Native Americans was also very interesting. While the two experiences might seem very different on the surface, they really do have some common undercurrents.
Ariana Feltenberger
Overall, this work was such a powerful and interesting piece. Kadohata continues her work with her own family history as an inspiration for this story of a young Japanese-American girl growing up during World War II. Her depictions of Sumiko's experience with being forced into the Colorado River Relocation Center were descriptive, filled with strong lessons, and brought attention to key aspects of Japanese-Native American relations during this time. Highly recommended for any classroom and or re ...more
I haven't read any Kadohata in years and forgot how much she conveys with simple, clear prose. Sumiko is twelve, and her manner of thinking reminded me of how it felt to be that age.

Narrator Kimberly Farr did an excellent job with tones and voices.
USA Geography Cha...: Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata 1 2 Dec 28, 2014 11:41PM
  • Journey to Topaz: A Story of the Japanese-American Evacuation
  • Counting on Grace
  • The Dragon's Child
  • Geronimo
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Cora Cooks Pancit
  • A House of Tailors
  • Silk Umbrellas
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • On The Wings of Heroes
  • Sylvia & Aki
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
  • Heart of a Shepherd
Cynthia Kadohata is a Japanese American writer known for writing coming of age stories about Asian American women.

She spent her early childhood in the South; both her first adult novel and first children's novel take place in Southern states. Her first adult novel was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year.

Her first children's book, Kira-Kira, won the 2005 Newbery Medal. Her first published s
More about Cynthia Kadohata...