Brownie & Pearl Take a Dip

Brownie & Pearl Take a Dip (Brownie & Pearl)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  34 reviews

It’s a hot summer day, and Brownie and Pearl are off to take a dip in their small blue backyard pool. They grab their bathing suits, their beach ball, and their super-chic sunglasses and get ready to soak. But when—oops!—Pearl takes a surprise spill into the water, will Brownie be able to revive her pal’s sopping-wet spirits?

Complete with lemonade and sunbathing, this Bro

Published April 5th 2011 by Beach Lane Books (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Brownie & Pearl Take a Dip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brownie & Pearl Take a Dip

Tasha
It’s a very hot day. After sitting in front of the fan with lemonade, Brownie and Pearl decide to head for the pool. Time for swimsuits, a beach ball and sunglasses. They head to their small pool that is just the right size for both of them. It feels so nice, but then Pearl leans in a little too close and gets a lot wetter than she wanted to. In the end, it still feels nice to have a dip, but also nice to spend time drying out in the sun.

Rylant has created a very cheery series for toddlers. Brow...more
Elizabeth Parks
The kind of book that your 18 month old will want to read seven times in a row and you'll wonder why.
Dolly
Dec 03, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2011, childrens, pets
This is another fun book in the Brownie & Pearl series of beginning reader books by Cynthia Rylant and Brian Biggs. They are colorful, with simple narratives and our youngest loves them! I read it aloud to our girls while we were visiting the library after an educational program that we attended there. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Mandy Robek
A fun read to kick off summer reading and model connections.
Lauren
Part of our must-read bedtime stories!
Rosemond Cates
Cute book for early readers
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/20/11 -

I don't find these stories all that entertaining. Julia likes them but it's far from a love relationship. It's more like a filler-type thing than anything.
The bold font and simple sentences are great for a beginner reader though so that's what we used this for. It's also great because unlike the usual starter books this isn't actually meant for that so there are words not usually found in the others.
(Personally, I always thought Brownie and Pearl books were boring....more
Meredith
Brownie (the little girl) and Pearl (her cat) play in a wading pool.

The Brownie & Pearl series in which the odd idiomatic phrases "get dolled up," "go for a spin," "grab a bite," "hit the hay," "make good," "see the sights," "step out," and "take a dip" are illustrated and explored is extremely cute and a hit with toddler girls. However, my husband and I find the lack of parental supervision is somewhat disturbing.
Barbara
To cool off, Brownie and her cat Pearl decide to get in their backyard pool. Pearl gets soaked when she accidentally falls in the water. Then they dry off in the sun. Young readers will be able to relate to the fun. The digital illustrations are colorful and will appeal to young readers, and the book would be a useful read aloud title.
carissa
It's a hot summer day, and Brownie and Pearl are off to take a dip in their small blue pool. They grab their bathing suits, their beach ball, and their super-chic sunglasses and get ready to soak. But when--oops!--Pearl takes a surprise spill into the water, will Brownie be able to revive her pal's sopping-wet spirits?
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Using simple sentences describing the action and objects found in the illustrations, this book provides a great read aloud for babies and pre-verbal toddlers as well as beginning readers. Enjoy the story of a young girl and her cat getting ready to go for a swim to cool off and then warm up again in the sun.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Brownie & Pearl think a dip in the pool would be nice on such a hot day. However, Pearl gets a little more than she bargained for with the water. The illustrations really bring the text to life. Love Brownie & Pearl in their sunglasses and sunning themselves on a beach blanket.

Destiny Dawn Long
I liked Brownie & Pearl Step Out better. That one had a nice message about overcoming shyness. This one, on the other hand, is just a fluffy story about swimming in a kiddie pool. It's not bad... just sort of pointless? My daughter liked it, though.
Alice
Great early reader for little girls. The pictures are absolutely adorable, the story is cute, and I think I love Brownie and Pearl. Brownie is a girly girl no doubt but she still is up for an adventure! Really liked this one!
Rose
This book was very cute. My four year old neice laughed loudly every time..and oh did she beg for me to read it over and over again! Very popular book in this house!
Paula
Another perfect read and way to end the summer. Simple text and lovely pictures are perfect for younger kids and those young-at-heart! I also love Brownie & Pearl!
Jeanette Johnson
It's a hot day and Brownie and Pearl decide to go swimming. Brownie falls in, and being a cat, does not appreciate the water. She decides to enjoy the sun instead.
Meredith
My three year old loves this book, she asks to read it every night at bedtime. We will be checking out some of the other Brownie and Pearl books.
Alice
Mommy review:
This was a fun read especially when we started going to the pool.
We both really like this series about a girl and her cat.
Kim
I like the bright bold pictures in this book but the story is literally "Takes a Dip." Very short, no surprises here.
Katie
Just found this series by Cynthia Rylant. Very colorful and fun. My 2 year old daughter loves them.
Donalyn
Brownie and her cat, Pearl, set out for a day at the pool--bold illustrations and charming characters.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Nice short for young children about a little girl and her cat taking a dip in her pool on a hot summer day
Heather
Use in classroom:
Idioms (take a dip),adjectives and sentence syntax, pets, summer season.
Liz Todd
Adorable. A new favorite series, perfect for a 3 year old!
Shannon
Is this one eligible for the Siebert award? If so, it has my vote.
Molly
Read during the Heat Wave for Bunny Hop. It was a big hit!
John
Aug 14, 2012 John added it
A great summer toddler storytime read!
Franki Sibberson
A fun addition to this series!
Leah
Simple story and cute illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years