Start by marking “Politika (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #1)” as Want to Read:
Politika (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #1)

Politika (Tom Clancy's Power Plays #1)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,489 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
It is 1999. The sudden death of Russia's president has thrown the Russian Federation into chaos. Devastating crop failures have left millions in the grip of famine, and an uprising seems inevitable. One of Russia's provisional leaders asks the American president for help. But the whole world is watching when a deadly terrorist attack stuns the United States and evidence po ...more
Published December 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Politika, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politika

Marilyn
May 05, 2010 Marilyn rated it liked it
"The sudden death of Russia's president has thrown the Russian Federation into chaos. Devastating crop failures have left millionos in the grip of famine, and an uprising seems inevitable. -- One of Russia's provisional leaders asks the American president for help. But the whole world is watching when a deadly terrorist attack stuns the US & evidence points to the Russian parliament. -- Amidst the turmoil in Russia, American businessman Roger Gordian finds his multinational corporation and i ...more
Jeff Dawson
Jun 04, 2012 Jeff Dawson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible

I was (key word) an ardent follower of Mr. Clancy's until the landscape shifted. Not the actual hills and plains, the writing style. We all know the first works were riveting and outstanding"Patriot Games, Without Remorse, Cardinal of the Kremlin, Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, and sum of all fears. I couldn't get enough of his work. Sadly, I no longer make the claim. I think the crossroads started with the Op's Center series and now the Power Plays.

I purchased this book probab
Janice
Dec 05, 2013 Janice is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The bomb attack at Times Square was harrowing. I kept HOPING that the bomb squad would find it in time. But no, and the dogs got killed too. Total bummer.
Tho written in 1998 this book was totally relevant to 2013 (and beyond).
Malcolm
Jun 01, 2012 Malcolm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about modern day terrorism. I suggest it to anyone who likes thrillers. Great book 5 of 5
Mark
Apr 09, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing
I was not much of a reader till I picked up this book, now I can't put books down.
Dokusha
Nach dem plötzlichen Tod des russischen Präsidenten wird das Land von einem dreiköpfigen Interimsteam regiert. Nach katastrophalen Mißernten beschließt der designierte Führer des Teams, die Amerikaner um Hilfe zu bitten. Dies allerdings paßt dem ultranationalen Teammitglied Pedaschenko nicht, der versucht, die Macht alleine zu haben.
Die Hilfslieferungen stehen kurz darauf auf der Kippe, nachdem ein Terroranschlag bei der Neujahrsfeier auf dem Times Square in New York hunderte Todesopfer und viel
Erin
Dec 22, 2015 Erin rated it did not like it
It comes with an included CD! It was OK in the beginning but the last half was boring and confusing and I didn't really care about any of the characters.
Libby
Mar 31, 2015 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clancy-tom
Little hard to follow and not really very interesting.
Omotayo Steven
Jun 24, 2014 Omotayo Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huh! 3.7 actually...lol
John Boettcher
This is the first book in the Power Plays series, and I think by far the slowest, driest, and most boring of the series. I am actually surprised the series continued after this book.

It doesn't read like the Tom Clancy you have come to know and love up to this point(we are talking about 2000 here). Just didn't like the story, the plot, or the writing. Felt forced, almost like the publishers had him on a strict deadline and he had to get SOMETHING out and this was it.

Not my favorite Clancy by a
Bob
Aug 15, 2010 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Clancy style political thrill that has a Russian troika leadership being upset by one of the three looking to take the sole position. He instigates a plot to bomb Times Square on the New Years Eve celebration of the millennium. Against this plotting is then head of an international communications conglomerate who brings his investigatory and security team into the actions to help solve discover the bombers and the attackers of his Russian satellite ground station. Lots of action in a fas ...more
Edwin Kort
Mah. Niet een van Clancy's beste boeken
Michael
Jun 05, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tom Clancy fans
Keep me interested to a point. What was interesting was the beginning of a bombing in New York City Times Square, yet the book was published years before it actually happened. Scary! It wasn't a book by Clancy that grabbed my interest to keep reading it nightly; I got bored of the same plots that I've read in either his books or others. For me, just another Tom Clancy novel.
Andrés
May 10, 2008 Andrés rated it did not like it
What a terrible book. Absolutely no suspension of disbelief occurred. The plot was entirely unconvincing, the characters self-evidently contrived. Each step of the way things just didn't make sense and the book's ending is probably the worst I've ever read. Coming from Tom Clancy, this is all very disappointing.
BoekenTrol
Oct 22, 2008 BoekenTrol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I liked this book. In general I like the way Tom Clancy writes. A lot of storylines, that make you wonder where it all leads to. But, the more pages are turned, the clearer things become.
This book is not an exception to that rule. And, my interest in Russia taken into account, it is a really nice book.
Joel Peters
An American high tech billionaire's teams save the world, as Russian terrorists attempt to destabilize the global political situation. A decent read, but fairly predictable in most respects. One wants to finish the novel, pretty much knowing what is going to happen.
Angel Serrano
Roger Gordian es un millonario que está dispuesto a tomar la justicia por su mano cuando alguna potencia extranjera se pone en su camino. No será tan fácil cuando la potencia es la Unión Soviética y se encuentra sin Presidente y dominada por fuerzas oscuras.
Karl K
Aug 20, 2009 Karl K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book to see if it would improve. The story line seemed to be developing when I realize that I was almost at the end of book.
To me, it seemed like something happened, important information miraculous appears, and the bad guys die.
Dan
Dec 18, 2012 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The terrorist bombing in Times Square was chilling. Other than that, the book is void of any emotional content. Attempts to insert personal relationships seemed an afterthought. I barely gave it a three because the plot was clever.
Sheila
Dec 31, 2013 Sheila rated it it was ok
Shelves: tom-clancy
After reading great books by Tom Clancy I was disappointed with this book. At times it got very boring and was on the verge of abandoning this story. It was very difficult to finish it.
Jenny E.
Here you can read my review in Swedish: http://jennyjag.wordpress.com/2015/03...

Here you can watch my review in English: https://youtu.be/UZ0Hbq2HO38
Denise
Aug 27, 2010 Denise rated it liked it
The president of Russia dies and there is a juggle for power, which includes terrorist attacks directed towards the US. Written before 9/11, but as usual, spot on.
Mr. M.J.
Sep 01, 2013 Mr. M.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only took 4 days to read it between work and school. I couldn't put this book down and enjoy how Clancy writes - I can't wait to dive into the next novel.
bookshelf
Jan 21, 2013 bookshelf marked it as available  ·  review of another edition
Availaible
Rent/Deposit: 20/80
Order
Thomas Roth
Mar 13, 2012 Thomas Roth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new Clancy venue. As always high tech & the good guys win most of the time.
Joe Martin
Politika: Power Plays 01 (Power Plays) by Tom Clancy (1997)
Jnokleby
Mar 29, 2009 Jnokleby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that kept me turning the page.
Rita Bettencourt
The worst i read from Tom Clancy.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count missing - 2253171573 3 10 Sep 10, 2015 08:31AM
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Night Moves (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #3)
  • Virtual Vandals (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #1)
  • EndWar (Tom Clancy's Endwar, #1)
  • Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3)
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
Jerome Preisler is a prolific author who has written over thirty books, including all eight novels in the #1 New York Times best-selling TOM CLANCY'S POWER PLAYS series, and more recently the narrative nonfictions ALL HANDS DOWN, CODE NAME CAESAR and DANIEL'S MUSIC. He is the author of the recently re-booted NET FORCE series, based on the New York Times bestselling series co-created by Tom Clancy. ...more
More about Jerome Preisler...

Tom Clancy's Power Plays (8 books)
  • ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)
  • Shadow Watch (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #3)
  • Bio-Strike (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #4)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • Cutting Edge (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #6)
  • Zero Hour (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #7)
  • Wild Card (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #8)