Start by marking “Damnable” as Want to Read:
Damnable

Damnable

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  20 reviews
After being disgraced and wrongly imprisoned, special military operative Jake Hatcher finds himself standing watch against an unimaginable threat to humanity. For he's about to discover that the streets of New York City have become a secret battleground between forces he cannot comprehend.
Published August 25th 2009 by Jove Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Damnable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damnable

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may read the entire review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/01/...

Jake Hatcher is a man with a problem. A special military operative, he’s been wrongly imprisoned, and on the day of his release, finds out his brother has been killed; a brother he never even knew existed. This mystery begins a journey for Hank that will take him into the darkest heart of man, and beyond.

Damnable is a wonderful debut novel, and Jake Hatcher is my kind of hero! In a sea of kick ass, tough chicks, he’s a
Mina MacLeod
I see why the this book won a Bram Stoker award. This is a solid first novel that doesn't try to be too much of anything, and religious horror is always a plus in my book. He does gore extremely well. Unfortunately, the gripping prose he uses to make you wince through the gory scenes contrast with the remainder of the snappy, easy-going style. In addition, the sometimes casually blatant misogyny leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's not just a character flaw; a character flaw, I could embrace and ...more
Alexis
This book is not as dark, or "surprising", or disturbing really as the reviews on the covers would have you believe. There are only 3 short scenes, take up an total of 6(?) pages, in the entire book that had anything "disturbing" happen. I was expecting to be on the edge of my seat constantly checking over my shoulder to make sure a monster wasn't trying to grab me, that's what a book named Damnable should make you feel and it just didn't.
It's a well written book, there was one chapter towards t
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Reviewed by Vickie for www.BookChickCity.com

So, I was struggling with the book I was supposed to be reading (sadly, as I had been really looking forward to it) so I stuck that down the side of my chair ready to pick up again later, and grabbed the next book in my TBR pile. Turns out that our lovely Carolyn had slipped me a sneaky one, and sent me some Horror!!! Woah… it’s sooo long since I read horror… years and years!! I decided to give it a go though as lately paranormal romance seems to be ve
William M.
3 AND 1/2 STARS

Author Hank Schwaeble won the Bram Stoker award for best first novel for Damnable, and for the most part, it is well deserved. It’s original premise, some outrageous gore, and many unpredictable moments kept me reading late into the night.

While not as frightening as I think it could have been if more atmosphere was added, Schwaeble keeps the reader hooked by revealing a few pieces to the puzzle with each chapter, until finally, the complete puzzle is revealed in all its evil glor
Mihir
I happened upon this book while browsing through a catalogue. The book blurb that caught my eye describes the setting as that in New York City and having it involve an ex-military operative who has to search for his long lost brother. I knew that I wanted to check out this book further based on this description.

The setting of this story might seem a bit cliched and in some ways reminds me of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. However after reading the first couple of chapters I knew my perce
Blood Rose Books
In his debut novel Hank Schwaeble introduces an evil villain who will do anything to revenge the death of his parent, even if that means destroying the world.

Jake Hatcher is a military interrogator who was at the top of his game and mission when he was wrongly imprisoned by the military. The guards of the prison are slowly trying to break him down, to get him to act out so that he serves a longer sentence, but so far Hatcher has endured, he is only a few more weeks till release. However, release
Rochelle Ragnarok
I picked this book up at a Borders going out of business sale, I saw it stacked in the Vampire section and since I read the back cover and thought it had a great concept I picked up this book and Diabolical expecting to have two great books to add to my horror collection. The beginning scene with Garrett was very engaging and only made me even more excited to continue on with the story, then we cut to Jake Hatcher, a man doing time for something he didn't do. I won't spoil anything and I admit I ...more
Jason
2.5 Stars

This came across to me as a readable first novel with some bright points and quite a bit of standard fare.

I chose to read this one as I cannot satiate my love for the biblical horror sub genre. This book with the name Damnable and the cover synopsis had me intrigued. This story really is a lite-biblical horror with some angels and demons and a lot to do with hell. Jake is a take on the Antihero but I never really connected with him.

There are some decent horror elements but overall, thi
Erinhill Hill-Dowdle
Pretty interesting take on the murder mystery with demons and half-demons thrown in for good measure. Nice summer read, or no thinky.
Mike (the Paladin)
Not a really "bad" read I suppose. The "blurbs" said things like "don't read it alone at night!" I did...no big deal.

sigh

A pretty standard story...don't take your theology from this book by the way. As I said readable, it won't make you throw it away I don't suppose and it won't really surprise anyone who's read much "horror" fiction. Good for a little distraction when you don't feel like thinking too much and don't mind a little "gross out" fiction (not a lot, but some).
Matthew
interesting book and story, liked the characters and the way it was completely different from other types of horror books dealing with 'religious' horror, etc. not quite angels and that but dealt with demons and someone trying to bring hell on earth... very enjoyable, and pretty graphic in some spots if that's your thing...i recommend this for sure.
Steve Schlutow
Diabolical caught my eye, so I ordered this book to begin the series.. It is an interesting series--popcorn thriller.. It is action packed demon/angel book--I was expecting vampires.. I liked being surprised--kinda tired of vampires and zombies.. On to Diabolical..
J.A. Carter-Winward
Hank has a really great, strong voice. It makes it so the reader isn't yanked out of the story because of awkward dialog or passages, which is nice. We'll see how the plot plays out. So far, great first novel. Even if it IS horror. :)
Mark
May 23, 2010 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone -- especially supernatural thriller fans
A great hunt for a serial killer who turns out to be more ambitious than he seems. Great fun and well written.

Read my full review at Feo Amante Horror Thriller: http://www.feoamante.com/Stories/Revi...
G.N.
A clear and well-written action/horror. Reminiscent of Michael McBride. Great stuff, and I can't wait for the sequel.
Brendan
This is a well-constructed thriller that I just couldn't connect with for some reason.
Nicole
Interesting...not great, but I didn't stop reading.
Dave
Fast moving story with a twisted plot.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Brian Southards
Brian Southards marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sandy
Sandy added it
Dec 10, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Nika Sergeeva
Nika Sergeeva marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
  • The Panama Laugh
  • The Resurrectionist
  • House of Windows
  • Razored Saddles
Hank Schwaeble is a thriller writer and attorney in Houston, Texas. His first novel, Damnable, will be published by Penguin/Putnam in September 2009 under their Jove imprint.

Hank's first short story, “Mugwumps,” appeared in the anthology Alone on the Darkside in 2006. In 2007, he and Gary Braunbeck won a Bram Stoker Award for the anthology Five Strokes to Midnight, which included three of his shor
More about Hank Schwaeble...
Diabolical Angel of the Abyss Five Strokes to Midnight Zombies Vs Robots: No Man's Land Dark Discoveries - Issue #26