Start by marking “The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles, #2)

The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,277 ratings  ·  67 reviews
After closing the portal to hell, Claire and her talking cat, Austin, acquired a new companion--Dean, who was a Bystander and should not have remembered Keepers existed. But with Dean around, and a little of her sister Diana's meddling--the world is heading for Chaos, and Claire is about to face a challenge beyond her wildest imagination.
Published March 1st 2001 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Second Summoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Summoning

Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDead to the World by Charlaine HarrisNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillNice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper
Humorous Paranormal Books
322nd out of 1,004 books — 1,506 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersSex in the Sanctuary by Lutishia LovelyUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonSummon the Keeper by Tanya HuffPretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
This series could be a sitcom
6th out of 19 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Olga Godim
This is a reread, but after a dozen years, it reads like new. And this is one of the rare cases when I want half a star: 3.5 stars.

As the second novel in a series, this one has to do with several familiar characters from book #1: Claire, the snarky Keeper, her lover Dean, and the cat Austin.
(See my review of book #1 http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...)
The other players in this novel include:
• Claire’s younger sister Diana, a seventeen-year-old budding Keeper with tremendous potential
• Sam
Matthew
I enjoyed this, if anything, significantly more than the first book.

This was practically a completely new adventure for Claire and Diana and it was less romancy, although sex still was a central conflict. And the cat continued to be the runaway star. This makes me want to read some of Tanya Huff's other works, despite recommendations against.

There are a lot of references to Canadian geography which are mostly relevant to locals, but its still very entertaining, the dynamics between the characte
Lois Bujold
May 31, 2013 Lois Bujold rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed the first volume.
Recommended to Lois by: internet review
Sequel to Summon the Keeper, which should be read first. The further adventures of itinerant patcher of holes-to-evil Claire Hansen and her handsome sidekick/former innocent bystander Dean McIssac, now with added annoying teenage sister, and an inadvertently summoned angel and demon highly confused by their respective placements in gendered, fully human bodies with all that this entails. More Canadian humor, weather, scenery, and cats.

I enjoyed it enough to want to keep an eye out for the third
Heather
The Second Summoning is every bit as funny as Summon the Keeper. It ranges from sly humor to Mel Brooks-like slapstick, and once again the cats are giving me strange looks because I’ve been laughing out loud in an empty house.

My only minor difficulty is that the humor occasionally gets quite surreal in this one, partially thanks to Diana’s sheer power level and the super-thinness of the fabric of reality in certain areas (meaning that reality doesn’t just bend in some places–it breaks, and oh th
Jeremy Preacher
I scared the cats by laughing too hard several times while reading this. The idea of an angel and a demon taking flesh on Earth as hormonal teenagers during Christmastime leaves plenty of openings for hilarity, and I don't believe Huff missed a single one.
Lindig
getting just a trifle "chick-lit-y"
Adobe
Sequel to Summon the Keeper, starring the same cast of lovable characters: Rigid Keeper Claire, her sassy sister Diana, sarcastic cat Austin, and the righteously upright Dean. (They fight crime!)

The plot on this particular go-round concerns an angel and a demon who manifest on Earth as hormonally-afflicted teenagers. Wacky hijinks ensue! Claire and Co. have to clean up the resulting havoc!

The Second Summoning is a step forward from its predecessor: more tightly plotted with the same wise-crackin
Joshua Palmatier
This is the second book in Tanya Huff's Keeper Chronicles series (recently released as a omnibus) and I enjoyed it more than the first. It was a little lighter in content, meaning it was more humorous, but the plot was more focused and sped right along.

It begins with the Keeper Claire and her hunky handyman Dean from the guest house in the first book traveling to close off holes that negative actions and feelings have punched in the universe, allowing darkness into our world. The sexual tension
Paula
This is the second in Huff's series of books, Keeper's Chronicles, following on from Summon the Keeper, and like the previous book, The Second Summoning is about Claire, whose job it is to keep Canada (and the rest of the world, of course) safe from places where the line is too thinly drawn between this world and others.

This time around, she starts with a dilemma over her relationship, not helped by cryptic advice/prophesying from her sister. Different actions taken by both Claire and her siste
Julia
Please see the three stars as three and a half.

Claire is a Keeper, which means she is one of the Earth’s Guardians summoned to where anomalies exist and getting rid of them. (Yes, she is a sort of a one-person Torchwood, but in a fantasy mileau.) Except that she also has her talking cat, Austin, her hunky Newfie boyfriend Dean, and more often than not her sister Diana. That I read this fun and funny book on Canada Day weekend, upped the fun quotient. Song it’s most like: "I’ve Been Everywhere,”
Chadwick Saxelid
Having closed the portal to Hell in the basement of the Elysian Fields Guest House, Claire Hansen, her talking cat Austin, and Dean McIssac are now free to follow Claire's summons to other rifts that are in need of closing. Well, sort of. Claire and Dean have yet to consummate their romantic relationship and that is distracting Claire to no end. She is also none too comfortable with the whole Keeper/Bystander romance thing. Fearing that she will only put Dean at risk, she sends him away. Things ...more
Bruce
It's really hard to know how to categorize the Keeper Chronicles; all three books are fantasy-derived, but they're so thick with wonderful humor that it's more tempting to place them in that category.

The Second Summoning is the best of the three, especially from the humor standpoint. Claire, the Keeper from Summon the Keeper, and Dean, the Bystander who helped her and her sister close the hole to Hell, are becoming attracted to each other. Claire, however, doesn't want Dean to get hurt by the fa
Inara
Title in German:
Auf Teufel komm raus - Die Chroniken der Hüter 2

The second book in the "Keeper-Series" picks up about a week after the events at the Hotel Elysium. Claire and Dean are together on the road and are finally – after some misunderstandings – able to figure out if they´re in love or not. Of course Austin the cheeky cat is there as is Claire´s sister Diana. Furthermore an angel and a demon both confused about their physical bodies and its demands play a main part. They all end up toget
Tammy
I didn't like this as much as the first book. Parts of it felt like set up for book 3, which I knew was about Diana but now assume will be about Diana and her cat. As always, the sibling rivalry and affection cracks me up. It's realistic, reminds me of me and my sister. Austin remains fantastic--catlike in his demands for food and bathroom breaks yet also wise enough to play his role as advisor.

Dean was absolutely fantastic and so very Dean in this book. He and Claire finally had sex, and it cre
Nicole
Sep 24, 2007 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love fantasy...and cats
I picked up the Keeper Chronicles after reading/watching Tanya Huff's Blood Ties series. (Now a tv series on Lifetime.) I really like Tanya Huff's ability to write a good book with likeable characters...and I love her great sense of humor!

The star of this series, in my eyes, is the cat, Austin. He talks...in exactly the way you would expect a cat to talk. He knows everything, is full of attitude and actually made me laugh out loud while reading this book (on a plane).

This trilogy is just a lot o
Mercy
Both Summon the Keeper and The Second Summoning are great but this second book surpassed itself! I snorted with laughter quite a few times. A good read.
Text Addict
A fun book, in which it's the job of the Keepers to prevent evil and chaos from breaking into the world, possibly upsetting the balance of things and leading to dire consequences. But it doesn't take itself all that seriously, what with accidental angelic manifestations, confused demons, freight train metaphors, talking cats, and so forth. Also people trying to do good and making a few mistakes along the way.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of Diane Duane's Wizards series, which is not a bad thin
I used to have the trilogy but I can't find the set so I'm hunting down the books, one-by-one. I haven't found the last one yet.

I liked this story. I like Claire and Dean's romance. I especially like Austin and his cattitude. I like that the powers of darkness are so easily corrupted by the power of good manners and loving sternness. It brought back memories of high school, and not the romanticized version either. It reminds me to be grateful that I'm no longer a teenager.

I need to hunt up the t
Shiyiya
LA
Jan 15, 2014 LA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: amazon
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the first. It was like the author suddenly had a fixation on sex and naughty bits. I may try the third if Goodreads reviewers tell me she's moved on...
Schnaucl
I like this book better than the first one in the series. The focus is less on the two main characters from the first book and more on Diana, and angel and a demon. Usually angels and demons manifest as genderless, but due to unusual circumstances both the angel and the demon manifest with gender and have to learn how to deal with it. Genderless beings suddenly having to deal with gender is far more interesting than the main plot of the story.
Ashley
I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this sequel compared to the first one!

This book focused much more on resolving the actual plot than unnecessary relationship melodrama. I liked that we got to learn more about the "evil" characters in this installment and I felt for them more than the "evil" in the first book.

The ending wrapped up a bit too nicely once again but it felt less out of left field this time.

Probably closer to 3.5 stars.
Callista
I didn't find the plot of this as interesting as the previous book, although some of the situations the angel and demon encounter are at times funny or a bit poignant. While Dean's problems resulting from the angel situation make realistic sense, I felt the author spent too much time on his and Claire's relationship problems. I was also a little sad about the loss of Dean's naїveté, in terms of his realisation about his effect on people.
Laura Mitchell
Gave up within the first 30 pages. Main character is an idiot.
Diane ~Firefly~
I forgot how much fun the angel and demon were. Nothing like adding some teenage angst to the picture. And the word "aluminum". Seeing them trying to deal with the locals is hilarious.

This is a good follow-up to Summon the Keeper. This book gives about equal time to Claire and Diana as they are both responsible for the mess and both have their own ideas on how to clean it up.
Emily
in the follow up to summon the keeper Claire Hansen is at it again, with Dean along for the ride. This time things get a little tricky when an angel gets manifested and since the universe like balance so much a devil comes in to play as well. A mad cap adventure across quebec ensues with Claire and Dean at the helm and Claire's little sister thrown in for fireworks. A good little read
Cindy
More of the same from the first book... At first I thought is was in a bad way, then it was in a good way. Hokey and happy, though she did make fun of the word "kewl" a few times more often than funny.

P.S. I tried to read the third on the airplane, but the irritation level went too high and I gave up about 1/3 of the way in.

(March 31, 2005)
Frances
I love how the author makes me go 'Wow, what a concept'. For ex: how angels come into being. For me tho, the storyline is almost second to the characters; Dean (OCD) seems so perfect for Claire; The humour that goes with Diana in her everyday life; Claire realizing she's not the only one to save the world; The parents that raised these two strong women.
Jordy
Samuel se ha convertido en uno de mis personajes favoritos, definitivamente. xD
Con este libro me di cuenta el porque no me gustó tanto el libro anterior, y es que "Las aventura de Claire por cerrar agujeros" me aburren, quizás porque no lo profundizan un poco más, pero el resto de la historia es realmente cool. Risas aseguradas! ;D
  • Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1)
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • The Cage (Baen Fantasy)
  • Digital Knight
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Fall of Light (LaZelle, #2)
  • Tinker (Elfhome, #1)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)

“Dexter thrust a pamphlet into Samuel's hand. "Greenstreet Mission. We're doing a Christmas dinner. You can get a meal and hear the word of God."
Samuel smiled in relief. This, finally, he understood. "Which word?"
"What?"
"Well, God's said a lot of words, you know, and a word like 'it' or 'the' wouldn't be worth hearing again but its always fun listening to Him try and say aluminum.”
10 likes
“What are you on, Samuel?"
This was easier, he glanced down. "Laminate.”
7 likes