Start by marking “Ten Little Herrings” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Herrings

Ten Little Herrings (Elsie and Ethelred Mystery #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When obscure crime writer Ethelred Tressider vanishes, his dogged literary agent, Elsie Thirkettle, is soon on his trail. Finding him proves surprisingly easy. Bringing him home proves more difficult than expected.
Published August 6th 2010 by Pan Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Herrings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Herrings

Ann
May 16, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ten Little What? Well, if you know your English mysteries, you'll know right away what's going on here - a little fun at Dame Agatha's expense.

And lovely fun it is too. Mediocre mystery writer Ethelred Tressider and his scornful agent Elsie Thirkettle are together again, despite Ethelred's best efforts. This time they're in a dumpy hotel at a French stamp-collectors' convention. But oh my, what a motley crew has assembled, and - you will not believe this - the guests seem to be dying or under a
John Lee
Sorry. This one didn't do it for me, but at least I finished it. It was ok as a light-hearted-time-passer but little more. With a whodoneit, my criteria is, ' how much do I want to know who did it?' Here, I wasn't particularly bothered (and, as it turned out ,I was right all along) but for some strange reason I wanted to read it through. So that has to be worth something.
One of my problems with this was that the cover picture of Elsie Thirkettle never did quite match up to the descriptions of he
Bev
Apr 10, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
**Possible spoilers for those who have not read the first novel, The Herring-Seller's Apprentice

Ten Little Herrings by L. C. Tyler is the second book in a series starring Ethelred Tressider, a mediocre mystery-writer, and Elsie Thirkettle, his chocolate-loving agent. At the end of the last enstallment, Ethelred was flying off into the sunset, apparently giving up his career as a mystery-writer, and leaving his agent, Elsie, holding the bag. As Herrings opens, Elsie has tracked her MIA client to
Graham Tapper
Sep 18, 2011 Graham Tapper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really getting into L.C. Tyler's books. This is the second, featuring Ethelred, the crime writer and Elsie, his agent. The book is written from alternate points of view, with Ethelred and Elsie's chapter in different fonts, just in case you get confused!

Ethelred has disappeared and Elsie is determined, in her usual ham-fisted way, to find out what has happened to him. The road eventually leads to a seedy hotel in the Loire Valley, where the bodies are starting to mount up. Who is killing them an
Les Wilson
I don't know what it is, but with many modern crime stories, the main investigators actions are irresponsible and verge on the ridiculous. Just started this book and already her actions are making me what to abandon the book. Her stupidity is too much for me, so have abandoned.
Susan
May 19, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever Elsie is sure that her client, mystery writer Ethelred, will surface eventually, after the events in Tyler's first book. When he does, his agent will be there. Although Elsie generally thinks that authors are unimportant, she does have a soft spot for him. That's why she goes to pick him up (she's cancelled his credit cards) in a small French hotel which is occupied largely by stamp collectors who have been to a stamp fair. When one of them is killed, there are only a few people left in t ...more
Bibliobabe
Elsie is back - and so is Ethelred (from the supposed dead). This time Elsie goes to rescue him in France (as she has had all his credit cards cancelled since he's dead) and the bodies start dropping. Fun, tongue in cheek, and a pleasant adventure.
Miss Fox and Mr Bird
Puzzle Doctor
Jun 10, 2015 Puzzle Doctor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the first book first and you'll enjoy this one immensely. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com.
Selmah Smith
Not quite as much fun as the first in the series but still entertaining.
Sep 01, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very silly but quite entertaining.
Jen
What a great story! I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel and look forward to reading the next one, The Herring in the Library. I liked how the point-of-view switched back and forth between Elsie and Ethelred. And I loved the ending. I hope to see many more books from L.C. Tyler featuring these two delightful characters.
Aug 28, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a very thoughtful and interesting book, with lots of meta tendencies. It spoofs dissects cozy country mysteries quite well by openly discussing the conventions as well as violating them. A couple of parts were quite funny.

The characters never really come to life though, and fall a little flat. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this book more if I had read the first in the series, since the characterizations in the first book would have carried over.
Jeff
A nice amusing read.

Elsie and Ethelred are stuck in a hotel in France when two guests are murdered, one stabbed, the other poisoned. The story also involves some stolen Russian jewels. There are some nice comic touches and the dialogue, especially from Elsie, is very funny in places.

I've met Len Tyler a couple of times at Crimefest when he has signed and lined his books for me. A nice man and very intelligent.
Andrew Hixson
Disappointing re-hash of the first-novel.
Stevie Carroll
I picked this one up on a librarian's recommendation. While it didn't suffer too badly for being the second in a series I hadn't previously read, it felt a as if it was trying to be a little too clever for my liking. Another in the genre of 'bad things happen to despicable people', which I sometimes thoroughly enjoy, but other times find a little tedious. Not quite my cup of tea.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Clever parody of classic, cozy mysteries featuring amateur detectives. Many jocular references to common features of mysteries, some of these clever. Although I enjoyed the book, I found it increasingly tiresome and was glad that it was short. Shorter would have been better. Still, harmless and amusing.
Alexandra Crocodile
Really witty and had a really surprising twist at the end. Set in modern times, but still had a very Christie-feel to it. Also made me laugh out loud several times. Definitely reccommended!
Yoy
Dec 07, 2015 Yoy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie Russell
Dec 28, 2012 Bonnie Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel to "Herring Sellers Apprentice"...enjoyed the British humor and the cliffhanger at the end.
Karmon
Oct 19, 2011 Karmon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyable, but not as strong as the first book.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun!
Aaron Power Man
Aaron Power Man marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
John Frankham
John Frankham rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Jane Fransella
Jane Fransella marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 29, 2016
Süleyman Baş
Süleyman Baş marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Blotto, Twinks, and the Ex-King's Daughter (Blotto and Twinks, #1)
  • The Accomplice
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
  • Death Mask
  • Trial and Error
  • River of Shadows
  • Thumbprint
  • Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3)
  • The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)
  • The Arsenic Labyrinth (Lake District Mystery #3)
  • Love in Amsterdam
  • The Glimpses of the Moon (Gervase Fen, #10)
  • Miss Marple Omnibus Vol. 3 (Murder at the Vicarage / Nemesis / Sleeping Murder / At Bertram's Hotel)
  • Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #8-11)
  • Fallen
  • The Dead Kid Detective Agency (The Dead Kid Detective Agency, #1)
L. C. Tyler grew up in Essex and studied geography at Jesus College Oxford University and systems analysis at City University in London. During a career with the British Council he lived in Malaysia, Sudan, Thailand and Denmark. More recently he has been based in Islington and West Sussex and is Chief Executive of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. He is married and has two childre ...more
More about L.C. Tyler...

Elsie and Ethelred Mystery (6 books)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • The Herring in the Library
  • Herring on the Nile
  • Crooked Herring
  • Cat Among The Herrings (Elsie and Ethelred, #6)