Start by marking “The Secret Warriors (Men At War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Warriors (Men At War, #2)

The Secret Warriors (Men at War #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,470 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Washington D.C., 1942. With the help of Charles A. Lindbergh, ace OSS pilot Richard Canidy sets up an air maneuver that will drop agents into the Belgian Congo to smuggle out uranium ore essential to the arms race. But this time, Canidy is not in the saddle; he's the backup pilot. And though he's not used to waiting for something to go wrong, he knows that it will...
Published June 1st 1999 by Jove Books (first published June 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Warriors

Dipanjan
Aug 25, 2012 Dipanjan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abolutely marvellous - are the words that aptly define this book. Oh, what a read. Mr. Griffins has delivered more than expected in this 2nd instalment of the Men At War series. For all those who hasn't been introduced to this series, it's an absolute must to experience. The 1st in the series "The Last Heroes" kick starts a splendid and delightful World War II historical saga.

This series is filled with characters that all seem to be larger than life. Though Richard Canidy is the centre of the pl
Escherer
Aug 25, 2010 Escherer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second volume in the Men at War saga, begun with The Last Heroes (1997), a paperback originally published (in 1985) under the pseudonym Alex Baldwin. Griffin has written several popular WWII series, featuring the Marine Corps, the Navy, and now the shadow warriors of the OSS, led by ``Wild Bill'' Donovan. The first in this new saga turned on a cache of uranium ore in the Belgian Congo. This time, along with other jobs, the OSS must drop agents into the Belgian Congo and smuggle out ore to use in ...more
Peter
Book two in the series. It is what it is: A book that seems to be moving at a decent clip, but you reach the end and realize just how little happened. I'd give it two and a half stars if the system allowed it. Frankly, while I'm enjoying the series, there's very little that happens, but the things that do happen tend to be of importance to the grand scheme of the war.
Bonnie
Dec 28, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not quite sure why I didn't like this book. Some of the things I found annoying didn't especially bother me - not any more than maybe an eye roll - in the Presidential Agent series or the Honor series. Things like profanity (which admittedly is hard to escape these days), lots of drinking by most of the characters, supposedly nice girls who are the aggressors when it comes to initiating sex with (no surprise here) willing men who generally end up marrying them. I guess there were too many of ...more
Pete Mack
The language in this series is less sophisticated than that of "The Corps" and "Brotherhood of War", and the action is less immediate. It makes me wonder whether more than two books were written by W.E. Butterworth IV rather than W.E. Butterworth III. Still not a bad series, but certainly not classics of the genre like Griffin's previous works.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, military
Military historical fiction at what I consider to be a high level. This is the second in the Men at War series dealing with the OSS and finding and bringing uranium ore from the Belgian Congo to a place where it can be developed into weapons.
Joan Karter
Jun 15, 2014 Joan Karter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining book about the start up of the OSS during WWII. Historical elements are very interesting and WEB Griffin brings it all to life with his characters. I could do without all of the gratuitous sex. It doesn't add much to the story.
Will
Lead Up to North Africa and Uraninite Smuggling. As more people become exposed to the OSS secret mission, the OSS grows it's staff by hiring those exposed or having them remanded to psychiatric facilities. Dick Canidy has his hands full babysitting a Free French admiral who FDR wants placed in England to keep de Gualle under control. Meanwhile, the OSS is focused on obtaining sufficient uraninite ore to produce uranium U-235 for the Manhattan project; one of the only places it exists in quantity ...more
Thomas
Feb 19, 2014 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it, loved the character, Canidy, off to read another W.E.B. griffin book
Linda Munro
Nov 05, 2012 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is the second book in the men at war series.

While I liked the information in the first book, this book really brought the characters to life while portraying the historical ploy of the very secret OSS (Office of Stretegic Services) the forerunner to the CIA.

This book follows Wild Bill Donovon and his 'Dillitantes' as they travel the world, fighting a war and secretly bringing materials back to the U.S. which will allow the Manhattan Project to realize its true potential.

If you like hist
Scott Vanzandt
Feb 10, 2013 Scott Vanzandt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 in the Men At War series...
Washington, D.C., 1942: With the help of Charles A. Lindbergh, ace OSS pilot Richard Canidy sets up an air maneuver that will drop agents into the Belgian Congo to smuggle out uranium ore essential to the arms race. But this time, Canidy is not in the saddle; he's the backup pilot. And though he's not used to waiting for something to go wrong, he knows that it will....

Read book 1 The Last Heroes first. I rarely miss a WEB Griffin Book.
Jason Reist
Nov 28, 2015 Jason Reist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love these books. They are fast paced and you are never left waiting for something else to happen.
Walt
Mar 26, 2013 Walt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Previously reading Griffin has help set the mind set of the reading his books. They intrique and are suspensful. I enoyed the fact of decrease romance in this book but the realism of how war effects both men and women. Keep up the supspense and I'll be a loyal follower.
Richard
Jul 02, 2013 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war-military, fiction
Loved the first book, but this one was boring and uneventful. There is hardly action and is just about relationships. I will have to think long and hard about continuing with this series.
Scott
Feb 19, 2013 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is really a people story not a war story. Disappointing to me. I kept waiting for the WWII action parts and they never came. I won't read W. E. B. Griffin again.
Darren Sapp
I still like this character, Dick Canidy, but would've like to see more action. I realize this is a series, but one, lone moment of suspense failed to wow me.
Eric
Dec 11, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so far, of course I have always been a big Griffin fan. I wish I had know he had a new series out sooner than this.
William
Well written and engaging. Certain urban liberal types will not like it. But I will read more Griffin.
Denise
Mar 21, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, fiction, ww2
Better than I expected. Good enough that I will "need" to continue on to book 3 of the series.
Diana
Mar 08, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is a book about world war two and secret operations....little boring at times
J.W. Thompson
Dec 30, 2009 J.W. Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very special to me ---read it years ago
Lchamp
Dec 10, 2013 Lchamp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read and enjoyable. Lots of names to learn.
Doug
WWII fiction - well-written but not really my thing.
Matt
Mar 24, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soap opera stuff about the early days of the CIA.
Greg
Mar 31, 2011 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very slow--90% intro, 10% action.
Bill
Mar 19, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!
Brigham
Brigham marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Eric Layman
Eric Layman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Call to Treason (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #11)
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Island Madness
  • Fortunes of War
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Rights of Man, Common Sense and Other Political Writings
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Churchill and America
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Men at War (7 books)
  • The Last Heroes (Men At War, #1)
  • The Soldier Spies (Men at War, #3)
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)
  • The Double Agents (Men at War, #6)
  • The Spymasters (Men at War, #7)