Start by marking “A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)

A Living Nightmare (Cirque du Freak #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  39,753 Ratings  ·  2,719 Reviews
In the tradition of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, Cirque Du Freak is the frightening saga of a young boy whose visit to a mysterious freak show leads him on a journey into a dark world of vampires. Filled with grotesque creatures, murderous vampires, and a petrifying ending, Cirque Du Freak will chill, thrill, and leave readers begging for more.
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Living Nightmare, please sign up.

Dennis the name of the series is curq du freak. its like harry potter is the name but it has indivudal book called dethely hallows...
Julie I'd actually say they're more in the style of children's books - I read them when I was 12 and I didn't find them particularly dark or gory. Of…moreI'd actually say they're more in the style of children's books - I read them when I was 12 and I didn't find them particularly dark or gory. Of course, there are some "scary" parts, but they're certainly not nightmare evoking. (less)
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
28th out of 318 books — 4,566 voters
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeBad Girls Don't Die by Katie AlenderThe Ghost Files by Apryl BakerMiss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsThe Ghost Files 2 by Apryl Baker
Best Teen Horror/Suspense/Thriller
9th out of 375 books — 885 voters

More lists with this book...

The Holy Terror
This is an older series and many of you may have read it years ago or already decided it wasn't for you, but maybe my review will sway you into giving it a chance (or just make you remember how much you loved it.)

Here's my take on things:

Be prepared for a male author with all male main characters. There's a younger sister character with a small part and I enjoyed the siblings' relationship, but aside from her and a few mothers, this is mostly a series about boys. Did that bother me? Not at all.
Sita
Aug 22, 2011 Sita rated it it was amazing
This has got to be one of the best books I have ever read! I used to hate reading I found it a chore. I only read school books. This book changed that normally I'm not normally into horror books but Darren Shan is different he is such a cool and likeable person. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes reading, this book is a great start to a series I loved. I re-read the series all the time. If you read it, then I am 86% sure you will love it.
Mr. Z
After reading this, I couldn't help but laugh. As a reading teacher, I'm always reading books to determine whether or not my students might enjoy reading them, too. However, this school year, several of my students have been recommending books TO ME to read! This is another such recommendation. I have heard from many students how much they enjoy the Cirque Du Freak series, so I decided to give the first book a try. Now, I do I not typically enjoy reading gruesome/spine-tingling horror novels, bu ...more
Kavita Ramesh
May 06, 2016 Kavita Ramesh rated it liked it
A great read, full of original ideas, which was nice to see in this crowded genre.

The author takes the age-old little boys' dream of running away to the circus—of escaping the boring reality of school and family life and humdrum routine, of becoming something other, something greater and more fearsome than a defenseless little boy—and turns it on its head. (view spoiler)
Qt
Apr 16, 2010 Qt rated it liked it
Easy to read and surprisingly engrossing--I stayed up late to finish it. I see why it's such a popular series!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Oct 30, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Younger vampire story readers and older ones who enjoy kid's books
Warning: I am keeping this review on the vague side because Shan's books are more fun if you don't know what's going on before you read them.

Well, this was a very interesting book. I didn't really like the idea of the freak show, but I did think that it was a novel way to introduce this story, and a different sort of motif for a children's series. I've seen this series at the bookstore for years now, and waffled about reading it. The freak show concept turned me off. I am just not into it, I mu
Kyle
Aug 19, 2016 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids 12 and under

Just a quick fun read. Nothing complicated, nothing fancy. Perfect book for tweens and young teens.

To read my review of the other books in this series, use the links below:

Book Two: The Vampire's Assistant

Myvampfiction
Nov 22, 2011 Myvampfiction rated it liked it
review by Megsly

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

A few weeks ago, this charming little movie called The Vampire's Assistant came on my television and I, being obsessed with vampires as everyone knows, just had to watch and I was extremely impressed by the originality of the movie so when I unearthed the series, The Saga of Darren Shan, I dove right in.
A Living Nightmare is book one of the The Saga of Darren Shan, otherwise known as Cirque du Freak. It introduces us to Darren Shan, a young boy
Dannii Elle
I feel like a few years ago this would have been a five-star read and a new favourite series, but as it is I found the writing style to be a little basic, in places, and the plot to be a little rudimentary and immature. This was, however, a fun read, had an interesting enough storyline and was fast-paced enough to keep me reading until the end. It was also refreshing to read something where romance takes a much-needed back-seat!
Ahmad Sharabiani
دارن شان برای معرفی خویش در نخستین صفحه از داستان میگوید: وقتی بچه بودم خیلی دلم میخواست از چیزی بترسم، از عنکبوت خوشم میآمد، مامان و بابای دارن شان در نه سالگی به او یک رطیل هدیه میدهند، تا نگهداری کند. مینویسد: قصه اش بیشتر شرح یک کابوس است
اما چرا این فراموشکار این کتابها را خواندم، دلم میخواست بدانم بچه هایم چرا این کتابها را میخوانند، چه چیزی در این داستانها توجه آنها را جلب کرده، پس از آنها مجموعه را خواندم، آن هم دوبار، انگار نوجوان شده بودم، هنوز هم کتابهای فانتزی و نوجوانان را دنبال میکن
Adam
Sep 25, 2010 Adam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror lovers, vampire lovers, thrill lovers.
Ah. Cirque Du Freak. One of my all time favorites. I cant say enough about these books.
Do NOT judge a series by its first book. Sure its good, but you dont realize its AMAZING until a few books in. But all epics are like that, right? And yes. This is an epic. And it is epic. So if you have read the first, liked it but didnt want to read the other ones immediantly, then I say- DO IT!!!
What is it about? Vampires, vampaneze, wolves, freaks, witches, wizards, romance, death, twists, surprises, histo
Will M.
Finished it in one sitting. It had a shallow plot, something obviously meant for children or teens younger than 18.

I have to press the issue again regarding books that really not scary but they are considered as horror. This book didn't scare me at all, but like I said, it was meant for children- young adult, although I have to say anyone who is over 13 wouldn't consider this horror. Not even the part where the "freaks" were described could be considered scary. It had a very predictable plot bu
Andrea
Jun 23, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Recommended to Andrea by: chapterchicks
Cirque Du Freak is really popular. I even saw a jock at my school reading them, which is quite surprising.. So, I got this book last night, and I'm done. And I loved it! At first I read the introduction, and I was like, wow, this is real? Now, I do not think it is. Because well, vampires, and a huge colorful spider named Madam Octa? Yeah, I don't think so. But, I loved the characters.
So, I watching one of those book hauls/reviews on YouTube. The videos with the username chapter chicks. Yeah, we
Manshui
183 Pages
HaperCollins Publishers
UK 4.99
ISBN: 0-00-675416-3
A Living Nightmare will bring a chilling sensation right after you read the book told by the gruesome-styled author Darren Shan who is also the protagonist of the story. This book one of the series does not only demonstrate the ordinary school boy with a normal life but extended beyond to vampirism and his break of friendship by misunderstandings. The protagonists and the antagonists of th
Majo's Library.
Okay...

"El Tenebroso Cirque Du Freak", estrega primera de la saga de Darren Shan.

Este 1er libro de la saga (si no me equivoco, de 12)cuenta la historia de dos chicos (Dareen y Steve) que van a una función de circo "Freak" donde conocen a un personaje vampiro, Mr.Crepsey.

Resulta que de estos dos amigos, uno (Steve) sueña con convertirse algún dia en un verdadero vampiro y el otro (Darren) en cambio, tiene mucho miedo y esa idea jamás se le pasó por la cabeza.

Al descubrir Steve que nunca podría ll
Maiker
Apr 23, 2016 Maiker rated it liked it
Me gustó. La historia no es nada complicada, es ligera, y muy entretenida. Lo que no me ha gustado mucho es que ha estado demasiado apresurada la trama. Éste libro me recordó en ciertas ocaciones al manga Kuroshitsuji en la parte cuando aparece el circo ambulante, y también a la cuarta temporada de American Horror Story: Freak Show cosa que me ha gustado. Y no estoy haciendo comparación alguna con esto, sólo que el libro tiene ciertas cosas que se asemejan. Pero en serio ha estado bien.
MahYa
Aug 16, 2016 MahYa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یادمه یه بار هر دوازده جلد رو امانت دادم به یکی از آشناها که ببره بخونه، اما مطمئن نبودم قراره سالم تحویلم بده یا نه! وقتی کتابارو برد مریض شدم! بچه بودم خب و عاشقِ اشباحم. هیچوقت یادم نمیره. خوشبختانه دیگه کتابیام ازم نخواست
:)))
Yasmin
Jul 16, 2014 Yasmin added it
Recommended to Yasmin by: Jirokou
This book was so scary, but it was AWESOME! I can't wait to read the next one.
Nikki May
Apr 14, 2015 Nikki May rated it liked it
Amy
Jun 04, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for an easy read, who don't care about details or explanations
I have been looking forward to reading this book for forever. I have read so many great reviews, and it was even endorsed by my favorite author, JK Rowling. I was truly expecting to love every moment of the book. But I was not prepared for the lack of entertainment I found in this book. I am not sorry I read it, just sorry the book didn't live up to my expectations.

This book is about Darren, a boy who seems to have a decent heart - Kind of. He and his friends seem pretty normal for young boys. T
Dan
Jul 02, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I absolutely LOVED this book and I need to read the second book RIGHT NOW!

THINGS I LIKED:

The characters: Darren Shan is such a cool and likeable character. I love how he tells the story and he's just a very fond character. He's definitely a brave character and will do anything to keep his friends and family safe and that's what I loved about him.

Steve was also a very interesting character. I thought he was interesting because he was manipulating and there was something dark about him. I can't w
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“A world of "if"s, but it would make no difference. If I could go back in time... but I couldn't. The past was behind me. The best thing now would be to stop looking over my shoulder. It was time to forget the past and look to the present and future.”

I've now read three of this series. I can't say it's my favorite Young Adult series since I have so many to read still. Based on what I've read so far, if they stay this good or improve, I'd have to answer that question with, "Yes, the Cirque Du F
Wickedshizuku
Aug 15, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy fans, Real Monster fans, YA fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: The Demonata series
Photobucket
Oh my effing gods. That streetcar just came, and smacked me upside the ignorant head. An instant favorite. Anyone who is suffering from intense boredom should be immediately cured after reading this.
The story centers around a teen named Darren, who has an obsession with spiders. He makes the mistake of stealing a vampire's prized performing Spider.
Absolutely fantastic book, and I highly recommend!
 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Yosbe  Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
description

Cirque du Freak puede convertirse fácilmente en mi nueva serie favorita, aunque es muy pronto para decirlo, sólo sé que después de este me voy corriendo a leer el 2.

Y aunque su escritura es bastante juvenil y además, trata de vampiros, un tema que ya está sacándome de los nervios... ¡lo logra!

¡Darren Shan logra con sus giros y oscura trama conquistar al lector hasta la última página!

description
Ambs ❤❤
May 01, 2015 Ambs ❤❤ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-all, owned
Admittedly, I saw this movie years ago. Wasn't bad, although a little childish (which I'm not complaining about). I'm also not that into vampire stories. However, I have always been intrigued by this story, not sure why. So when I had the chance to listen to it, I jumped.

This was not a bad story, a little heartbreaking, but a great setup to a series. I will read the next book before I decide to continue on or be finished with this story. I'd recommend this book to teens who are looking a for a
Aug 23, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
There is nothing more I like than vampires, so a different twist to these ancient (and arguably overdone) beings is always enjoyable! I first discovered this series when I was in 8th grade; I finally found the whole series in paperback and am rereading them!

Darren Shan had a normal, enjoyable, happy life. Great friends, loving family, a little sister whom he could trust and confide in... He's a boy one can relate to, and Steve, his best friend, makes things interesting (and tense).

The adventures
María Olvera
Tiene tres estrellas y no dos por el último tercio del libro, los dos primeros están contados por la sinopsis, por si no era lo suficientemente obvio lo que iba a pasar. Pero en la última parte Darren me gustó mucho.
Verán, Darren Shan es un chico normal. Le va regular en sus clases, le encanta jugar la fútbol con sus amigos, le gustan MUCHO las arañas, tiene una familia normal y feliz...y un amigo llamado Steve. No recuerdo si fue Steve el que encontró el volante del Cirque du Freak, creo que no
Sercan Vatansever
''Uykuya dalmadan önce örümceğin aşağıya süzülüp yavaşça ağzımın içine girdiğini, boğazımdan aşağıya kayıp karnıma bir sürü yumurta bıraktığını hayal ederdim. Bebek örümcekler bir süre sonra yumurtalarını kırarak dışarı çıkacak, beni içeriden dışarıya doğru canlı canlı yemeye başlayacaklardı. Küçükken korkmaya bayılırdım.''

İşte bu derece kaçık bir baş karaktere sahip bir kitaptı. Sadece kaçık da değil, üstelik salaktı da. Karakterler inandırıcı değillerdi. Crepsley'i ilk başta sevdim ama ilerley
Elio Zebinato
Jun 02, 2015 Elio Zebinato rated it really liked it
The book had an alright beginning. It introduced the reader to a new hero. The book began with a creepy and mysterious vibe. It is unknown what is going to happen in the book but it is foreshadowed that the book will have a good/bad ending. As I continued reading the book I began to doze off. It was a slow start and I didn't really like the book. It was tacky and having some bad plot lines. However it is when the two children decide to go to the Cirque du Freak where everything takes a turn for ...more
Amna Houlin

I enjoyed this book but I didn't like the main characters a lot.

Full Review: https://teabagsandbooks.wordpress.com...
SE Reading Buffs 1st: Cirque du freak A Living Nightmare 3 7 Oct 28, 2015 06:42AM
vampires 1 4 Nov 04, 2014 08:19PM
Reading Reflection 1 1 8 Sep 15, 2014 06:38PM
100 Books Challenge: Cirque du Freak - Darren Shan 12 27 Apr 10, 2014 11:17PM
Do you think Steve Leopard was born evil? 3 32 Mar 22, 2014 04:59PM
Questions That Can or Can't be Answered 7 68 Nov 02, 2013 06:31AM
  • Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5)
  • The Haunting Hour: Chills in the Dead of Night
  • London, 1850 (Vampire Plagues, #1)
  • Tide of Terror (Vampirates, #2)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Nightrise (The Gatekeepers, #3)
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • My Swordhand is Singing (My Swordhand is Singing, #1)
  • Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff, #1)
  • Tüskevár
  • Midnight Predator (Den of Shadows, #4)
  • Daemon Hall
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
Librarian's note: Also writes under the name D.B. Shan.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak Series in the United States. He is the author of The Demonata series, as well as some stand-alone books, and a series o
More about Darren Shan...

Cirque du Freak (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque Du Freak, #2)
  • Tunnels of Blood (Cirque Du Freak, #3)
  • Vampire Mountain (Cirque Du Freak, #4)
  • Trials of Death (Cirque Du Freak, #5)
  • The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6)
  • Hunters of the Dusk (Cirque Du Freak, #7)
  • Allies of the Night (Cirque du Freak, #8)
  • Killers of the Dawn (Cirque Du Freak, #9)
  • The Lake of Souls (Cirque Du Freak, #10)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Cirque Du Freak, #11)

“I don't like it, but my hands are tied. I just want you to know this: if I ever get the chance to betray you, I will. If the opportunity arises to pay you back, I'll take it. You'll never be able to trust me.” 287 likes
“The thing about real life is, when you do something stupid, it normally costs you. In books the heroes can make as many mistakes as they like. It doesn't matter what they do, because everything works out in the end. They'll beat the bad guys and put things right and everything ends up cool.
In real life, vacuum cleaners kill spiders. If you cross a busy road without looking, you get whacked by a car. If you fall from a tree, you break some bones.
Real life's nasty. It's cruel. It doesn't care about heroes and happy endings and the way things should be. In real life, bad things happen. People die. Fights are lost. Evil often wins.
I just wanted to make that clear before I begun.”
247 likes