Start by marking “Hail, Holy Queen Hail, Holy Queen” as Want to Read:
Hail, Holy Queen Hail, Holy Queen

Hail, Holy Queen Hail, Holy Queen

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,540 ratings  ·  97 reviews
A fresh and enlightening new perspective on Mary, Mother of God, and her central importance in the Christian faith, from the author of the highly successful The Lamb'sSupper."
"
In The Lamb's Supper, Catholic scholar and apologist Scott Hahn explored the relationship between the Book of Revelation and the Roman CatholicMass, deftly clarifying the most subtle of theological p
Published October 18th 2005 by Doubleday Religion (first published April 17th 2001)

Richard
Theologian and apologist Scott Hahn has written this little book in an effort to show how Marian dogma and devotion is not only logical but emotionally and spiritually necessary to fill in what are perceived as gaps in the Protestant understanding of Mary.

As a former Presbyterian (and a virulently anti-Catholic one to boot), Hahn knows all the Protestant objections to Mariology. Such as, "Isn't praying to Mary idolatry?" Or "Doesn't calling her Co-Mediatrix contradict the Scripture verse which s
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Personal edification.

When I started my conversion process to Catholicism, I immediately felt the welcoming, warmth and peace of our Mother, the Blessed Virgin. Marian theology is something I really wanted to fully understand and this book is truly wonderful in describing Mary's place in the Bible, in the Church and in every Christian's life.

Hahn explains biblically why Mary is honoured by Catholics, and her central importance in the Christian Life (not just Catholic). First h
Karina
The cover of this book is so beautiful. It's a detail from Botticelli's Virgin and Child with Five Angels (Madonna del Magnificat). I'd like a print of this painting :)

----

I like this book the most of all the other Scott Hahn's books I've read so far. Maybe I'm just getting used to his style? It's as he describes someone else's writing "compact but rich".

This book is much better with the chapter headings than Lord, Have Mercy; the subsections in chapter are still bizarre at times, but you can g
David S. T.
If I remember correctly from Rome Sweet Home, Scott Hahn has a Masters in Theology from a Protestant college and then eventually converted to Catholicism. One of the questions I have from a Protestant perspective is the Mariology of the Catholic Church, sure I’ll admit that often Protestants don’t give her the respect she deserves, but at the same time I don’t understand all of the attention Catholics give her, so to help with my questions I went to this book. For a book written by someone who u ...more
Candis
I made the mistake of reading this at the same time I was reading Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus of Nazareth is so intellectual that it made Hail Holy Queen seemed downright simplistic. But it is still a very good book, especially for anyone interested in knowing more about Mary.
Gigi
Not surprising that Scott Hahn, as only he can do, not only explains the reasons for the Catholic faith's devotion to the Mother of God, but why it IS so important: simply because God chose her to be our Mother!
alexandra
Scott Hahn is great at helping with typical Protestant concerns about the Catholic's view of Mary. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is confused with Catholic Marian doctrine, that and Saint Bernard's writtings.
Peter Davids
This is not as deeply moving as Hahn's Rome Sweet Home, but it does contain his personal journey with Mary. It is a popular book, so do not expect the explanation level of, for example, The Catechism of the Catholic Church. It also has some errors of biblical fact, so it was apparently quickly written. None of these affect the argument, but they did irritate me as a biblical scholar. That being said, the basic arguments are here: the typological argument from the OT, the use of Mary in Rev 12 (t ...more
Jeff
I have more questions than answers after reading this book. I wasn't fully convinced of a lot of things he said, but I was convinced of how important it is for Protestants to reclaim a proper understanding of Mary. How it is important for Protestants to affirm that she is truly blessed above many others. How important it is for Christians together to affirm the place Mary has in our lives, and how she is also an important "guide" in our faith, in the sense that our answer should be as hers, "I a ...more
Fr. Ryan Humphries
Dec 24, 2014 Fr. Ryan Humphries rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, Esp. Catholics.
Hahn is - for all of his education credentials - a bit of a pop spirituality guy. He has the unenviable task\vocation of presenting biblical theology to the theologically untrained. It's a near impossible task. The scientific\theological study of scripture is hard. You need serious technical skills as well as an attitude of humility which only comes from years of study. Trying to present very high level theological insights (like typology) to someone without theological training is like trying t ...more
Katie
This title is a pretty solid overview of Marian doctrine that has always been upheld by the Church, and how it is based on Scripture. I liked the parallels that Hahn drew, especially from the Old and New Testaments to demonstrate types of Mary in the Old and how Our Lady is the fulfillment of these types in the New Testament. I found the "Ark of the Covenant" parallel particularly interesting.

Hahn also does a good job explaining in pretty simple language and theology how Marian doctrines are al
Julia
Hahn explores the Types of Mary in the Old Testament to shed light on her role in the New. I wish his explanation of the dogmas was a little more positive than simply refuting arguments against her perpetual virginity or the Assumption, but it makes sense with the intended audience of the book for it to be more bent toward "faith seeking understanding." And he did make some convincing arguments.

Chapter 6 also helped a lot in understanding the concepts of glory and merit in a Catholic paradigm ju
Graceanne Bowe
I read the entire book on a flight between Boston and Vegas...I just couldn't put it down. Scott Hahn is truly a brilliant theologian and gifted writer and teacher. His writing reveals his patience with the "novice" to Marian doctrine, yet he is not afraid to dive deeply into theological, Biblical, and eccelsial concepts. It is a rare writer who can strike the right balance between simplicity/clarity and depth...offering the reader simple explanations without "dumbing down" the text, yet getting ...more
Michele
This book was phenomenal! It is amazing how one can connect the dots for those that are not theologians. Mary is such an important figure in the Catholic world....as she should be for everyone. Scott Hahn, was actually hung up about having to "honor" and "venerate" Mary as the Mother of God before becoming Catholic....but because of his questioning he was lead right into her arms, so to say. Thank God also for the late Fr. Kilimanjaro Healy, who at the time was the one one who had written on the ...more
Friesca
When you are talking to most people, you need to make them understand in common words, so you don't need to be an intellectual to understand it, at least you know how to read.

This book stands in the middle, it explains in simplicity.
Why Catholics never enough thank Mary because she said "yes", the position of Mary in Bible and Catholic church, and Catholics don't worship Mary, but give thanks properly, the book explains clear enough.

After some of common questions are answered through this book,
Anna
An intelligently written book for those of us who want to learn more about the significance of Mary in the Roman Catholic tradition. The author makes a profound subject very accessible and takes us through scripture to substantiate the points he makes, and I personally found his arguments compelling. I particularly appreciated the fact that Scott Hahn is from the Protestant tradition and is clearly a Bible scholar; this is not a person who has left his brain outside the church door... I would re ...more
Berbernator
I purchased this book in hopes of gaining a deeper insight into various marian beliefs. Though Hahn makes some interesting comparisons between Old and New Testament teachings regarding Mary, and thoroughly explains key elements of The Blessed Virgin (Her immaculate conception, perpetual virginity, intercession for prayers, bodily assumption into heaven, etc), it seemed to be more of a third-base hitter rather than a home-run. Hahn's points make sense. They're well explained. Unfortunately, some ...more
Nathaniel Turner
I struggled with my selection of a star rating for this book; I vacillate between liking and disliking it. I liked it because it's very forthright, very dedicated, very committed; I disliked it because Mr. Hahn allowed that dedication to surpass good judgment and good argumentation.

Before I get started with the major things, let me offer up very minor things. First, some people like puns; others don't. If you don't, you may not appreciate Mr. Hahn's section titles--this is your fair warning. The
Tom Spiva
This book is a strong and in depth look at the Catholic church's Marian dogmas, and is honestly the best explanation of all of them in one place that I have seen thus far. That being said while there is powerful imagery, symbolism and (what will be for Protestants) a new reading of scripture, it still sits in this very do place that much of Hahn's work up to date stands, and that's trying to use Protestant methods and epistemology to prove Catholic conclusions. While I applaud him for the try Ma ...more
Cora
I enjoyed the exegesis, analogies, history, and commentary, so 3 stars for content. However, the writing style was full of cliches and sentence fragments perhaps better suited to a spoken homily, but painfully obvious in written form. I wish it had been better edited; I was a sympathetic reader and found "the good stuff" in spite of the writing, but I'm sure the book would succeed in its mission to educate both the Catholic and nonCatholic reader if it were cleaner in style.
Don Weidinger
let myself be her son by Bennedict, dogma as interpretation of scripture, and so we are children of God by gift of grace, mediatrix as coworker of Jesus Christ, Christians dare to call God Father, contract for property and covenant for kinship relationship, strive for Mary’s honor honorable, never to shamed by earthly mother at school or Mary, answers have a lot love joy confidence vs answers, love endearing love, rosary of amazing realities.
Jennifer Short
Scott Hahn has a way of making simple theological concepts. As a former Protestant, Dr. Hahn has, in this book, tackled the one area of faith that has so often divided Protestants from Catholics — Mary. Who is Mary? Why is she so revered? What does the Bible say about her? What does the Church say about her? These are just a few of the topics that are covered in this book.

As someone who grew up Protestant, I have appreciated the works by Dr. Hahn over the years. They have taught me about the th
This is a book that I would benefit from reading over again slowly, with a Bible in the other hand. There were some points and comparisons made that really got my attention and made a lot of sense to me. "Ah-ha" moments. Then other ideas were hard for me to grasp and would take much thought and Bible study to fully understand. I did enjoy the book. I hope to delve into it deeper someday, just not right now.
Rebecca ~ Silvan Elf  ~

This is the first actual book I have read by Scott Hahn. I have listened to some of his talks before. This book was great. I definitely recommend reading it! There were a couple sections that were a little confusing. Noting to off-putting though. And the rest of it was very straight forward and easy to understand. I look forward to checking more books of Scott Hahn's out!
Aaron Meyer
This book really hits the nail on the head with regards to Marian adoration. Essential to getting a grip on the Catholic understanding of her position in the Church and God's Plan. Really made me think. I particularly found the chapter on biblical typology useful. Everybody should read this book and after they are finished honestly ask themselves where does Mary fit in in their lives.
Chad Judice
This book is the most comprehensive explanation of Marian Theology any Catholic or non - Catholic should read. Mary was Christ gift to us at the foot of the Cross, as we too are his disciples. The typological comparisons from the Old and New Testament to show Mary as the New Eve and the Ark of the New Covenant are spell bounding. Hahn does it again!
Elizabeth
Surprisingly, I was actually a little let down by this book. It wasn't as compelling as some of the other books by Hahn that I have read.

For some of the other topics Hahn has written about, I have been less familiar with the Scriptural and Traditional back ground. I think I am just more familiar with this topic.
Thadeus
Absolutely great book! It brought together all the right information in just the right order. Whenever I started having a question or doubt, it was like he predicted it and provided the answer.

I especially liked his story of providence related in the post script chapter.

Highly recommended.
Katrina Best
The book focused mostly on Mary being considered the "New Eve". It also included Bible Typology and proved the old testament having prefigured Mary, a virgin to conceive and give birth to the christ. This is a great book to understand why Catholics hold Mary with such high esteem.
Kathrin
Love Scott Hahn. This book was a very Biblical and historical defense of the Catholic faith's (unique) dedication to Mary the Mother of God. I think it would have been good for someone who was skeptical on her value, but that was never me, so it just served as icing on the cake.
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • Life of Christ
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • The Way
  • The Courage To Be Catholic: Crisis, Reform And The Future Of The Church
  • Introduction to the Devout Life
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their fifth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and vi ...more
More about Scott Hahn...
The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots

“Down through the centuries, the Church has carefully preserved, protected, and defended its Marian teachings, because to give them up would be to give up the gospel.” 3 likes
“A covenant differs from a contract almost as much as marriage differs from prostitution.” 1 likes