Start by marking “The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)

The Establishment (Lavette Family #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"She'll stand up for her family, no matter the cost"
Published September 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Establishment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Establishment

Graceann
Sep 17, 2009 Graceann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of series, historical fiction fans
As this third entry in the Lavette Family Saga begins, Barbara and her new husband Bernie are navigating difficult married waters. His heart is in Israel, and she resents the competition. Where the story goes from here is, as always, an energetic journey.

The largest part of the novel is given to Barbara's testimony before HUAC, and the repercussions of that testimony. As Howard Fast lived through this period, he clearly used his own painful experiences to give life to these sequences, and the p
Mary Frances
These books are better than one would expect. This one moved me a great deal because of the author's evocative language about loss.
Barb
The third book in the series is just as good as the others.
Terri Hardy
Still giving this addition to the series a 5 star rating although I'm not quite sure if the stars are for this individual book or the series as a whole. Historical fiction is so informative in such an entertaining way and showed me aspects of the McCarthy era and war mongering in Korea and Viet Nam that I never would have looked at besides the history books of my youth. You can clealy see the author's positions on many of these events by the way Barbara Lavette embraces them. Once again, can't w ...more
Linda K.
I found the personal affront on Barbara very enlightening. The McCarthy era became very real. Another concept, that of buying politicians, was also presented in a cold hearted mentality that sparked some deeper cynicism in me.
Cindy
I had read the first book of this serise and didn't realize it unitl I was about 75 pages into the story. I didn't like the chachareters as well and didn't find a lot of history to walk away with. Lots of sentiment.
Daniela
While I loved the first two books in his immigrants series, this one is rather slow and a little draggy. He gets away with it because his writing style is great but it's certainly not my favorite of the series.
Michael
I absolutely loved this series. Wish it could of been made into a TV series. Even though I read these books years ago, I can still remember the trials & tribulations this family went through.
Andrea
These books are written in an old-timey style, but I like them and the characters have grown on me. I love the way they portray San Francisco - it makes me miss the city.
Niece
3Rd in the Immigrant Saga
Set San Francisco-5 in saga-great read!
Amy
Still enthralled with this family! Loved this book almost as much as the first two... Ready for the last two books.
Linda
The third in the series of the Lavette family.
Peggy
Very good, as were the other two.
Corrie
Enjoyed it very much
Lynnae
Lynnae marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Charlotte Dalgaard
Charlotte Dalgaard marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sandra York
Sandra York marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • Restless Hearts (Gold Rush Romances #1)
  • Long Summer Day
  • The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2.5)
  • The Fatal Crown
  • Wilderness Trail of Love (American Wilderness, #1)
  • Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1)
  • Harvest
  • Death By Chocolate (Josiah Reynolds Mystery, #6)
  • Paradise Falls
  • Calico Palace
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • The Devil's Tide (Devil's Fire, #2)
  • The Pirate Captain: Chronicles of a Legend
Howard Fast (1914–2003) was one of the most prolific American writers of the twentieth century. He was a bestselling author of more than eighty works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. The son of immigrants, Fast grew up in New York City and published his first novel upon finishing high school in 1933. In 1950, his refusal to provide the United States Congress with a list of possible ...more
More about Howard Fast...

Lavette Family (6 books)
  • The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1)
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • The Legacy (Lavette Family, #4)
  • The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5)
  • An Independent Woman (Lavette Family, #6)
The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1) April Morning Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2) The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5) The Legacy (Lavette Family, #4)