Start by marking “Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)” as Want to Read:
Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)

Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  7,742 ratings  ·  122 reviews
A new edition of one of the The Famous Five adventures involving Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the dog. This is part of a series of reissues to commemorate the birth of Enid Blyton. Original illustrations by Eileen Soper are reproduced.
Published 1997 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Five Go Adventuring Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Go Adventuring Again

Sally906
I have read the whole series over and over again. I never tire of it. This book is the second in the series and the George, Anne, Julian and Dick along with Timmy the dog return to Kirrin Cottage for the Christmas break. Sadly the boys and George have not done too well at school so George's father arranges for a tutor, and so Mr Roland arrives. George takes an instant dislike to him when he insists on calling George by her rightful name, Georgina, and announces he hates dogs.

Despite having to s...more
First Second Books
I was informed this weekend that I was shockingly remiss for not having already read Enid Blyton’s ‘Famous Five’ series, so I set out at once to remedy this mistake (easy enough, as I was standing in the middle of New York City’s Books of Wonder whilst being thusly informed).

Having now read _Five Go Adventuring Again_, I have the strong suspicion that George is the best thing ever, as she is a girl with a boy’s name who prefers to be called ‘Master George,’ she actually gets away doing poorly a...more
David Sarkies
I must say that I still haven't quite made up my mind about this book: is it a captivating mystery or is it incredibly predictable. The problem with me making the claim that it is predictable is because I have read it a long time ago, and as I read it again, I remember a number of the things that happened in the book. First of all I worked out where the secret passage was and secondly I worked out that the tutor was up to no good. However, it is difficult to also claim predictability since it w...more
Kirsti
Five adventuring again, the second in the series. Unfortunately, after all the adventures in the first book, the boys and George have fallen behind in their schoolwork and require a tutor over the Christmas holidays. Mr Roland comes to stay at Kirrin cottage, and quickly befriends Uncle Quintin and seems to be snooping into his experiments and secret formulas! But only George has her suspicions, and coming up against someone the rest of the family likes so much proves difficult.

I've always thoug...more
James Gates
I was introduced to the Famous Five books by my father who read them as a child. The second book in the series is my personal favourite as you already know the characters from the first story and so the plot moves along faster.

To me the book shows how different children view authority. George is the rebellious one who although has justification for disliking the tutor, Mr. Rowland (he does not like dogs), she shows little respect for him or her father. Anne on the other hand feels that Mr. Rowla...more
Jax Holt
This is the second in the Famous Five series. The book gripped me from the very beginning and I loved the concept of it and it was different from the first book! I still say that Enid is still one of my all time favourite authors to this day! What I love about her novels is that she makes the mysteries not as easy to solve (but most of the time I solved them!).

PLOT!
It's the Christmas holidays and Julian, Dick and Anne can't go back to their house due to their mum being ill and their dad being qu...more
Nikki
I wrote a reasonably long nostalgic review about this, and then I got a weird blue screen of death, so I lost it. Maybe I'll tell the story someday, but for now, I'll just do a quick review. As an adult reading this, it isn't so convincing at all. I mean, there's the sheer unlikelihood of so many adventures happening to the same four children within the same year and in the same place. But there are things I found more believable, too -- like the way Mr Roland isn't all bad, he's also quite good...more
Lilly
I could empathise with poor George in this book. I'm quite stubborn myself and I would probably react the same way if I had a tutor like Mr. Roland. It was so obvious that he was up to no good, I mean, Timmy wouldn't even shake hands with him.

I thought that Anne was particularly painful in this book. She behaves like such a goody-goody. She's the only one to get good grades at school yet she decides to have lessons with the tutor anyway and is a total brown-noser in those lessons. She also cries...more
Prashansa
I liked this book. At first the children didn't wanted a tutor but afterwards they were okay with him not to include George and Timmy here. They both didn't like Mr. Roland, their tutor. George was more cross when her beloved dog was kept away of her. She had a natural instinct that Roland stole her father's work and broke her test tubes. Guess what? She was right. It was Roland and his two mates who lived as artists at Kirrin Farmhouse. The Five discovered a secret way from Kirrin cottage to Ki...more
Mike Sumner
I first read this as a child in 1954 I think it was. Like most of my contemporaries I loved The Famous Five series. Re-reading 60 years on was a piece of pure nostalgia. Of course it's a book for children but then I'm a big kid at heart!
Dini Nurhasanah
"Kedua anak laki-laki itu tahu bahwa George memang kadang-kadang konyol dan berwatak sulit, apalagi jika ada orang yang mengatakan tak suka pada anjingnya. Tetapi menurut pendapat mereka, Pak Guru Ronald pun seharusnya menunjukan pengertian yang lebih besar." – halaman 69

Karena keluarga mereka terkena penyakit menular, Julian, Dick dan Anne menghabiskan liburan Natal mereka di rumah sepupu mereka, Georgina atau George, di Pondok Kirrin. Agar tidak merepotkan sekaligus memperbaiki nilai beberapa...more
Ellie
When the Famous five come back to Kirin cottage. They have to have a tudor because there school grades aren't good. They visit the farm house. They find a map behind a wooden panel. They ask the tudor to tell them what it means. He says "it means secret way." They can't find it in the farm house. Then gorge has a difrent theory.
Neja
These books (Famous five) are hands down one of my favorite books from my childhood. All those adventures and mystery …and those sandwiches they always packed! aww, just the best! I would love to read one of these again. To bring back those memories..memories of first experiences with reading books.
Carina
I am by no means the target audience for these books anymore so wasn't sure what re-reading this would be like. I was most happy to find I still enjoyed this!

This is the second book in the Famous Five series, they were never my favourites (I much preferred the Secret Seven) but are still pretty good reads. It may also help that I haven't read the books for 10 years but I didn't remember the plot details in the way I thought I would (and as I did with the Redwall books).

I can certainly see why t...more
Joy
Sep 22, 2014 Joy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: my father
22/09/2014

After rereading Five on a Treasure Island a little while ago, I decided it would be nice to try and catch up on some of my childhood favourites as and when I had the time from then on. Anyway, since these books don't take long to read, it's convenient to gobble down about fifty pages in any ten-minute space of free time :>

The first time I'd ever read this book, a long time had passed since I'd finished the first one. Back then, I had no idea what a series was, and so it blew my min...more
destinugrainy
Lima Sekawan beraksi kembali. Kali ini mereka berusaha mengungkap misteri pencurian di Pondok Kirrin. Tentunya ada petualangan yang menarik menanti mereka. Setelah menghabiskan musim panas di Pondok Kirrin, anak-anak harus kembali bersekolah. George sekarang bersekolah di tempat yang sama dengan Anne. Di internat (asrama), mereka diperbolehkan membawa hewan peliharaan. Jadi Tim juga ikut “bersekolah” dengan George dan Anne. Sementara Julian dan Dick bersekolah di tempat yang berbeda.

Dalam libura...more
Dani Noviandi
Siapa yang tidak mengenal Lima Sekawan? Ya, the Famous Five yang terdiri atas Julian, Dick, Anne, George dan Timmy ini telah menjadi tokoh legendaris dalam dunia perbukuan internasional. Hampir semua anak membaca kisah karangan Enid Blyton ini sebagai bacaan masa kecilnya, dan mereka seolah terlarut dan terhanyut ke dalam petualangan Lima Sekawan ini.

Berawal dari sebuah forum jualan, ada seseorang yang menawarkan 15 buku Lima Sekawan ini dengan harga hanya 160 ribu rupiah, maka tanpa pikir panja...more
Julie Bozza
I adored the Famous Five books as a kid, and read lots of Enid Blyton. I remember the librarians being rather sniffy about them, but then I read lots of other stuff too, and I didn't turn out too bad... (Or did I?!) I remember identifying with George, and being rather starry-eyed about Julian. Not sure if that was two different parts of me, or the same part... :-)

Anyway! I wanted to re-read one for writerly purposes, to re-discover the feel of 'a Big Adventure', and to be honest found it a more...more
Miss Kodok

Baca Ulang !!
Pertama baca: November 1981

Julian, Dick, Anne, dan saudara sepupu mereka, George beserta anjingnya Tim lagi-lagi mengalami sebuah petualangan seru.

Pada liburan natal kali ini, Julian beserta kedua adiknya Dick dan Anne tidak dapat pulang berlibur ke rumah orang tua mereka karena ibu mereka sedang terjangkit penyakit jengkering (dulu bener-bener enggak ngerti penyakit apa sih ini sebenernya, tapi setelah tanya di mbah gugel, tenyata penyakit ini adalah semacam infeksi kerongkongan ya...more
hyperboreas_
- FAMOUS FIVE 2012: CHILDHOOD REVISITED -

Book two: Five Go Adventuring Again

Being a follow-up to the first book, "Five Go Adventuring Again" still has a more introductory character to it than the rest of the books in the series. And it is, maybe because of that, a bit bland.

The second adventure of the Famous Five occurs almost entirely indoors, partly because it's set during a snowy Christmas, but also because the main characters have to be tortured with extra-curicular holiday-lessons from a st...more
Reuben Jackson
five go adventuring again by enid blyton
The reason i read this book was because we have the complete collection of famous five. this book is set in 1943 it is about a group of siblings julian,dick and their sister anne and their cousin george a tomboy. in this book the group have been sick for the term so they go to Georges house for the holiday's where they catch up on school work with a private tutor called mr roland.one day the kids visit the kirrin farmhouse,where dick finds a faulty board o...more
Elizabeth
I read this to my six year old son who said, "I liked it so much because of the handcuffs at the end and Mr Roland, Mr Wilton and Mr Thomas were locked up because they were naughty".

"I liked it when George was fierce as well. I liked when Dick, Anne, Julian and George escaping from Mr Wilton and Mr Thomas, it was exciting. I liked it when George's father was happy with George and George making Tim fly at Mr Wilton".
EA
The kids (aged 6 and 4) and I all loved this one. What's not to love about a secret passage and a "Who done it?"! mystery. Timothy is, as always, a favourite with the kids. His antics always get them giggling.

J (6): "If I could, I would give it ten stars."

I (4): "I like when old Tim flew at the baddies!"
Luffy Monkey D.
This was my third completed book in three days, yet I didn't feel the mileage as I began reading this particular book. I think that this book was well planned in parts. However the adults in it were too thick to be believable. And I just wanted to say, I don't react well to Timothy's and his ilk in any book. The rating here is a bit unfair as I remembered a lot from reading it first, 20 years ago, so there were no great surprises. The finale was not as fun as it should have been. I think that t...more
Div
oh how I love George!! if only the other kids would trust her instead of a stranger... but well then how would that stretch the story lol. and Quentin, he doesn't get any benefit coz he is an adult, her father and even then George doesn't seem to be the 1st person he'd trust :/
Francoist
This is the 1st of many famous five books that I always loved to read. Enid Blyton created a series for the "older child" and I like to consider myself as one of the 1st to grab hold of this change of thought and run with it.
In this 1st book (1st that I read) The Famous 5: George (Georgina), Julian, Anne, Dick and Timmy (The dog). Are trapped at Kirrin Cottege (the home of George and her parents) because of the snow. They cant go far, but decide to wonder off to Kerrin Farmhouse before the snow...more
Muspitta
Baru baca buku ini 2013 lalu, waktu zamannya aku lagi tergila-gila nemuin sesuatu yang baru. EBOOk bener-bener ngerubah dunia aku. awalnya yang gak sanggup beli bukunya, -hell, sekarang harganya 30k- akhirnya kesampaian juga baca bukunya.
Di buku ini menurut aku sih, originalitas ceritanya bener-bener wow. jarang banget orang kepikiran untuk ngebuat jalan cerita kayak gini, aku bener-bener kagum dengan enid.
anyway, aku juga masih suka cara-cara enid Blyton ngajarin tentang karakter baik di buku i...more
Emma
Every book I read by Blyton is fantastic, even in my adult years I still find that my pulse is racing as I read her books, anxious to know what is going to happen next. This one is another adventure for the five, this time taking place in winter as opposed to the summer of the previous book. The action really doesnt start until quite near the end as a lot of the book is building up to what is going to happen with background information. As you read it you know something is going to happen, but i...more
Jyothsna
My son says " I liked it because it was very thrilling, when they found out at that the secret way was in kirrin cottage , i found that bit thrilling"
Jake Collins
A strong second outing for the Five, with enough secret passages and dodgy painters to earn its place as one of the best books in the whole series.
famous five 11 44 Jan 28, 2013 11:08AM
  • The Naughtiest Girl Keeps a Secret (The Naughtiest Girl, # 5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • New Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #7)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to editor Hugh Pollock, with whom she had tw...more
More about Enid Blyton...
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)