Start by marking “Knights of the Round Table” as Want to Read:
Knights of the Round Table

Knights of the Round Table

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
imagine a mythic kingdom in England of wizards and witches, fire-breathing dragons, and dreadful giants. Who can rule this magical land? Who can overcome the powers of evil? It is the destiny of King Arthur and his noble knights, who protect and serve the people of Camelot. A perfect introduction to the Arthurian legends.
Paperback, Large Print, 112 pages
Published October 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Knights of the Round Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knights of the Round Table

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Best Arthurian Fiction
333rd out of 376 books — 1,274 voters
Knights of the Round Table by Gwen GrossThe Wizard of Oz by Daisy AlbertoThe Prince and the Pauper by Jane E. GerverHeidi by Gail HermanThe Hunchback of Notre Dame by Marc Cerasini
Stepping Stones: Classic
1st out of 33 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Sean Gibson
May 10, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it it was amazing
The primary reason this introductory primer to the legends of King Arthur gets a 5-star rating from moi is because it is what turned me onto Arthurian lore (something that obviously stuck with me--hello, The Camelot Shadow: A Novel--and will continue to pervade other future works). Ideal for an elementary school reader yearning for adventure but not quite ready to tackle something more complex.
Laura Verret
King Arthur. Brave knights. Wonderful and strange adventures. Welcome to the world of chivalry!

I will reserve a synopsis of the King Arthur legend until I review a classic version; suffice it to say that Knights of the Round Table covers six of the legends: The Sword in the Stone, The Knighting of Lancelot, Morgan Le Fay, Sir Gawain and Lady Ragnell, The Coming of Sir Gareth, and The Last Battle.

It had been several years since I last read a version of the King Arthur legend. I was surprised to b
Wayne S.
Nov 25, 2012 Wayne S. rated it really liked it
This introduction to the Arthurian legends for children before they can manage Howard Pyle or Sir Thomas Malory's editions contains short chapters which tell about the sword in the stone, Lancelot and the fiery-mouthed dragon, the beautiful witch Morgan Le Fay with her scheme to usurp the throne, Sir Gawain’s marriage to the ugly Ragnall to save Arthur, the kitchen knight known as “Big Hands” who rescues the Lady Linness, and Mordred's treachery leading to the last battle. Readers are asked to i ...more
Jean-Marie
We read this as part of our Middle Ages history lesson. This is a quick read and good early elementary introduction to the legend of King Arthur. It touches on a handful of the legend's stories: the sword in the stone, Lancelot, Morgan Le Fay, Sir Gawain and the Lady Ragnell, Sir Gareth/The Kitchen Knight and The Last Battle.
Jennifer Chapman
Feb 11, 2014 Jennifer Chapman rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Read these short tales of the Knights of the round table to my 8 year old son and he loved them. A great beginning introduction to the legends of Merlin, King Arthur, Morgan Le Fey and all of the knights.
Simon Wojtaszek
What a great introduction to the legends of King Arthur! These stories were simple enough for both of you to easily follow, yet richly detailed and engaging, and full of adventure.
Sam Wojtaszek
Nov 30, 2014 Sam Wojtaszek rated it it was amazing
Amy
May 18, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
With Story of the World, Vol. II

I thought this book was just right to introduce the suject of Arthurian legends to my daughter, age 9. Just the right amount of detail, adventure, and gore. It is ot a continuous narrative but 6 different stories - however it works together as a book. I am not very familiar with the subject myself so cannot speak to the accuracy, etc. but it did what it set out to do in my view!
Sarah Stafford
Sep 12, 2013 Sarah Stafford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the classic tale of Arthur and his nights of the round table there is much adventure. There are fire breathing dragons that terrorize a simple town and their people. There are evil witches that pull very evil tricks. There are battles with men on horses holding javelins. Arthur from a very young age was destined for greatness. This epic story has all this magic and adventure rapped up in one short book.
Kj Bartell
Aug 14, 2012 Kj Bartell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

The knights of the round table is such a good book for young kids. I have had this book forever. I have read it many times and I enjoy it every time that I read it regardless of how old I get. I always liked the story of King Arthur and the author did a good job with this version.
Teri
May 04, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-ages
good beginning chapter book to go along with middle ages
Aadam
Read aloud.
Little Bear
intense
Rebecca Ray
Rebecca Ray marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Pat
Pat added it
Jan 23, 2016
Shailendra
Shailendra marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
T
T marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Melanie Daley
Melanie Daley rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Kaere
Kaere added it
Jan 11, 2016
Library Project
Library Project marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Stacey Molina
Stacey Molina rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Heidi Lusk
Heidi Lusk marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Sadie.M.Marquis
Sadie.M.Marquis marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Keturah Kincaid
Keturah Kincaid marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Amy Evans
Amy Evans marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Alberta
Alberta marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • 20000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington Carver
  • Les Miserables (Stepping Stones)
  • The Case of the Secret Valentine (Jigsaw Jones, #3)
  • Balto and the Great Race
  • Around the World in 80 Days
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Wagon Wheels
  • The Paint Brush Kid
  • Crow Boy
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids
  • Young Guinevere
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • The Best Seat in Second Grade