Start by marking “The Bodhran Makers” as Want to Read:
The Bodhran Makers

The Bodhran Makers

A saga of the struggle between hard-living farmers and teh Church, this book is set in rural Ireland in the 1950s.

Published June 1st 2002 by Brandon (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Bodhran Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bodhran Makers

John
Sep 24, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a bodhrán player, I was given this book as a gift from a dear friend. What a wonderful surprise it was to read. I was afraid that it might actually be a story about building bodhrán drums, which would not have held my interest very long. Instead it was a thoroughly delightful and heartfelt story about life in Ireland for those families trying to scrape together a living as best as possible. In some ways I felt it paralleled parts of Fiddler on the Roof, in that it took place within an isolate ...more
Daniel
I was thrilled to be in attendance at the powerful seminar with the very important speaker, and even more so when the very important speaker invited me onstage while he mentioned the following to the enthralled audience:

"This man coming up on stage here is either one of the most intelligent people in the history of the world or a damn uncontested fool. It is up to you to determine which is he."

Unfortunately, I don’t know how the enthralled audience voted for me on that very night, largely bec
Cathal Kenneally
Very funny book. One of the funniest books written by an Irish writer I've ever read. So true to life. The hold the Catholic church has in Ireland for centuries and still has to a certain extent nowadays but things have changed for the better
Tony
Aug 01, 2010 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keane, John B. THE BODHRAN MAKERS. (1986; Amer. ed. 1992). ****. The bodhran (pronounced bough-rawn, as we are cautioned many times) is a cross between a drum and a tamborine. It is played using either the hands or a twin-knobbed drumstick called a cipin. It is a key instrument in traditional Irish music. The finest ones are made using specially selected skin from a young goat that is blemish free. In the Ireland of the 1950s, the bodhran was played by the agrarian population, who wished to carr ...more
Kerry
Mar 27, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bodhran Makers is a delightful storytelling of a traditional rural Irish community, and the hold that religion, traditional music and drinking had on their lives. There’s sadness too, depicting how this way of life was dying out, with many leaving for England due to abject poverty. The ways of the power-hungry priest and the conflicting lifestyles between the town folk and rural folk was also interesting to note, and I’m sure was not uncommon in Eire. I loved the detail and Keane’s faithful ...more
Rich
John Keane is probably my favorite literary discovery of the past 15 years. He had a simple way of writing that reflected the lives of the rural country folk in Ireland. He captured small-town life exquisitely. If you've ever seen the movie "Waking Ned Devine" that is the best way to capture Keane's writing style. Simple, deceptively simple, but so, so rich in what it gives you.
This is the story of a group of farmers who find themselves locked in a battle with their local priest. At heart they
John
Jan 29, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is truly one of my favorite books! Unlike its name, very little time is spent discussing the building of a new bodhrán drum, yet the story within this book is an excellent read.

It is a story of the people within a poor little village in Ireland, their daily trials and tribulations, and their age-old traditions that bring pleasure to the people, and the wrath of their controlling clergyman. The story is written in such a way that the reader becomes a member of the village, lives within the p
Carrie
Apr 21, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crushing poverty and the Catholic church clash in this 1950's story of rural Ireland. The people hold on to their ancient Celtic traditions of music and dance as a way to escape the harshness of never having enough to eat or the money to buy the most basic of desperately needed supplies. The parish priest condems them all to hell for their merrymaking, believing these old traditions fly in the face of God. The Bodhran (bough-rawn) is a Celtic drum made from goat skin and played with the fingers ...more
Trish
Dec 15, 2010 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It is about Rural Ireland in the 1950s. I enjoyed learning about the instrument, the customs and legends about it--bodhran (bow ron). The only chance the poor had was to move to England. It was pretty hopeless. The person who hosted our Irish Book Club meeting invited a bodhran player to our meeting. Beautiful music. We heard someone playing the bodhran when we went to Ireland in September. I really appreciated the music after learning how the bodhran was made and what it took ...more
Louise Leetch
Jan 03, 2011 Louise Leetch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great tale of Ireland in the early twentieth century. This is a great insight into life in the countryside, always poor, but people who knew how to have a good time. They also were very well versed in getting around the powers that be. This would make a great book, somewhat along the lines of Tight Little Island and Waking Ned Devine; except that reality plays a part.
Eileen Ryan
Jun 28, 2016 Eileen Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a a book club choice and my first (of many) John B Keane's. For some reason, I didn't expect to enjoy it, expecting it to be a bit too stage- Irishy but right from the beginning I was hooked. I loved how he wrote about the hardships of scraping an existence from the land, how he developed his characters and the relationships between them. Was really sorry when it ended.
Linda
Sep 17, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bodhran (pronounced bough rawn) is an Irish musical instrument, which figures in this story of a small Irish village as the villagers prepare for their annual celebration of an old Irish festival. However, the village priest has outlawed this celebration and when the villagers go ahead without his approval, it starts a chain of events which leads to the breakup of the village.
Sue
Jan 22, 2011 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a sometimes harsh sometimes tender story about rural Ireland in the 50's. the story revolves around the tradition of the wrenboys and traditional irish music. It was sad to witness the struggles in the country to repress the old ways but delightful to read how some people hold on to traditions.
Molly
Jan 01, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-books
I really liked this! It was a mix of humor and sadness, but overall a very thorough series of character examinations. Good characters in an inescapably dismal situation, but they make it work. I think it successfully skirted Irish caricaturism. It was a good read, especially around Christmas.
Jay
Jul 11, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and sad all at once. The final act of revenge by the town cad against a haughty lace curtain family was priceless. The last sentence brought tears to my eyes.
Ellie
May 04, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me understand the culture and history of Ireland before we spent a day in Dublin. It was insightful, historical writing.
Rebecca
Stellar story telling. Not actually about the making of drums, just about the people who insist on doing so despite interference from the Catholic church.
Addy Buffum
Apr 10, 2013 Addy Buffum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Keane brings you right into the characters lives and you can just see the scenery, hear the music, and smell the peat!
LoriB
LoriB rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Courtney H.
Courtney H. rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Susannah
Susannah rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Patrick Clifford
Patrick Clifford rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Lanea
Lanea rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Devin
Devin rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2007
Pier Kuipers
Pier Kuipers rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Stephen O'Brien
Stephen O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
  • The Cure at Troy: A Version of Sophocles' Philoctetes
  • Yeats Is Dead!: A Mystery by 15 Irish Writers
  • Bobby Sands: Writings from Prison
  • A Pagan Place
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • 1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace
  • Mythologies
  • Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916
  • Strumpet City
  • The Wily O'Reilly: Irish Country Stories (Irish Country #9.5)
  • The Young Wan
  • All Will Be Well: A Memoir
  • Scandal in Skibbereen (County Cork, #2)