Start by marking “Carrie Pilby” as Want to Read:

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  1,017 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Figuring out post-college life in NYC. Being a genius has never been this hard. Carrie Pilby doesn't fit in. A year out of college, this nineteen-year-old genius believes everyone she meets is immoral, sex obsessed and hypocritical, and the only person she sees on a regular basis is her therapist. When he comes up with a five-point plan to help her discover the "positive a ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about Carrie Pilby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carrie Pilby

Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
Best Red Dress Ink Books
39th out of 107 books — 21 voters
Guardian of the Dead by Karen HealeyQuicksilver by R.J. AndersonDays of Blood & Starlight by Laini TaylorAccepting Me by Jo RamseyBanner of the Damned by Sherwood Smith
Asexuals In Fiction
20th out of 20 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Nina
Carrie Pilby has become officially one of my favourite books of 2010. I adored the character and the story kept me hooked to the pages from beginning till the end.

Carrie is a 19 year old teenager who is very intelligent. She doesn’t understands the world completely and in her eyes the world doesn’t completely understands her. She lives in an apartment in New York City, and daddy is paying everything for her. She got no motivation whatsoever to find a job and one of her favourite things to do is
Donna
DNF.

It sounds pretty quirky and fun but when I got into it, all I got was an irredeemable character that was too good for everyone else and really wasn't willing to change.

I wanted to like Carrie. I really did. But I hated being in her head. I just can't empathize with someone that's genius enough to give Stephen Hawking a run for his money but can't figure out how or why she needs to NOT be a douche to people. Maybe it's because I'm not smart enough to understand that kind of smart. Or maybe I
Chrystal
Carrie Pilby, a nineteen-year-old prodigy and Harvard graduate, is socially awkward and having a very hard time meeting people that she can befriend or even relate to on a basic level. She consistently looks down on others when they come across as hypocrites based on her moral code or unintelligent based on her search for fellow genius'.

At first I had a very hard time getting into the book, because I found Carrie to be annoying with her constant judgment of others. She has strict ideals of what
Karissa
When I read the synopsis of this book I had to have it. It's not the type of book I generally read, but it just sounded like something I would really like. I got an advanced reading copy through netgalley(dot)com to read. It was a great read, a fun read, and the kind of read that really makes you think about the way you interact with the people around you.

Carrie Pilby is a genius. She skipped three grades in elementary school and graduated from Harvard with a degree in phliosophy at the age of 1
Jamie
I feel like chick lit does have a chance to get a bad rap. I read this book years ago and it never really left my mind; I picked it up yesterday to reread it and I realized that Lissner wrote a strange little literary novel that just happened to come out in the height of the time when all books my women about young women had to have pink and turquoise slapped on the cover so it could be marketed as chick lit.

"Carrie Pilby" isn't really like that. It's about Carrie, a 19-year-old prodigy who has
Amanda
Nafiza
Sep 07, 2010 Nafiza rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I was expecting a fun, light, quirky read. The cover certainly leads you to believe so and I have a feeling that had I known that the book was way more serious than I was bargaining for, I would have been better prepared to read it. Because Carrie Pilby is most certainly not chick lit.

As the synopsis reveals, Carrie is a genius. A genius who has trouble fitting in, getting along; indeed she doesn’t understand the need for her to do so.

Well okay, I’ll just come right out and say it: I didn’t like
Michelle
I have to admit I was on the fence when I picked this one up on Net Galley. It didn’t really scream “you have to read me!” like so many other books do. But the concept of taking a socially awkward girl, giving her some fun goals and seeing if she can adjust into stronger interpersonal relationships intrigued me.

I’m here to tell you, I should have listened to my first instincts. Interesting concept aside, I did not connect with this book at all.

That disconnect lands directly on the shoulders of t
Zeek
On a whim I picked up a book by Caren Lissner (an author I've never heard of and never read before) called Carrie Pilby at the library. (I generally stick to titles or authors I recognize.)

It hooked me, however, I found myself reading it not because I adored the story but because I couldn't stop.

The title character, Carrie, is extremely intelligent (skipped three grades in high school and attended Harvard), obviously clinically depressed and has suffered trauma as a child.

It was actually depre
*HOLLY*
Why I loved this book:
-Carrie is smart
-She's pretty much anti social
-She loves to read
-She looks everything up in the dictionary
-She cracks herself up
-She's not one of those annoying airhead girls
-NYC!!
-The cover is friggin' cute
-Her favorite thing to do is sleep

I love her because (aside from her being a genius) she's a lot like me.

Terrie
I'm perplexed why this was a Red Dress Ink imprint, because the only thing "chick lit" about it is the fact that the protagonist is a 19 yo female who lives in NYC. Really an excellent novel.
kb
Cover art:
The 2010 edition has a pretty cover! I wish I saw this back in college because I would totally be wearing a tutu and blue green stockings in my yearbook creative shot.

In a nutshell:
A Harvard graduate struggles in the real world in, get this, practically all aspects.

Spirit animal:
Carrie Pilby seems like a character built out of everyone.

For one, she thinks she is socially handicapped.

"I could go to grad school, if they offered a master’s in remedial socialization."

"When I’m finally home
Jasmyn
Carrie Pilby has always been a bit different. She is a child prodigy that graduated college before most of us would even start it. Her hobbies include reading the dictionary, debating morals with herself (and others if she can), and sleeping in her New York apartment. Carrie has a hard time relating to the people around her. She just doesn't get them, and they just don't get her. She's unhappy and alone, although good luck trying to get her to admit it.

Carrie is a fantastic character. She readil
Ernica
" you should never give up on principle that is logical, sound, important and integral to your constitution, even if the world seems against it" I don't know what I would have done if i hadn't found this book and to think I've never head of Caren Lissner before yet now i have a need to read all of her books. I don't know maybe i liked this book so much because Carrie is so different and reminds me somewhat of myself. A genius (although i'm not as smart as her) who's socially awkward and likes to ...more
Mary
Carrie Pilby is a nineteen-year-old Harvard graduate living alone in New York City and trying to gain the social skills she never learned. She skipped three grades and trusted her father's "Big Lie" that she would finally meet people like herself in college. Instead, she had a brief affair with a pervy English professor and became disgusted with her fellow students' twin obsessions: liquor and sex. So she's left in her current predicament of needing to learn how to connect with people. She has a ...more
Brob
I enjoy the sarcastic wit in books and decided to give this one a try. As far as wit goes this book gets a 5/5. There are so many hilarious dialogues between Carrie and the other characters throughout the book. In addition, her internal monologue is pretty hilarious. Caren Lissner created a character that stayed true to herself throughout the book as she gave us glimpses inside her head. Having been in school with a few prodigies in my lower school education I feel that Carrie’s character was w ...more
Kari Anderson
If you ever have wondered what goes on in the brain of a genius, we find out through Carrie Pilby. While some of our minds wander to dinner, laundry and the ever growing Christmas list, here’s what Carrie’s mind wanders to:

I use my extra time to think about a lot of things. I think about why, if the highest speed limit anywhere in the U.S. is seventy-five, they sell cars that can go up to one hundred fifty.

I think about whether the liquid inside a coconut should be called “milk” or “juice.”

I thi
Eliora Vespera

"1. List 10 things you love (and DO THEM!)
2. Join a club (and TALK TO PEOPLE!)
3. Go on a date (with someone you actually LIKE!)
4. Tell someone you care (your therapist DOESN'T COUNT!)
5. Celebrate New Year's (with OTHER PEOPLE!)"

My Rating: 10/10

Carrie Pilby is a 19 year old genius that graduated from Harvard at 18. Her mother died when she was too young to remember, and her father told her a Big Lie she still couldn't forgive him for.

Carrie guards herself too muc
Mari - loves to read
Carrie is a smart girl, she graduated from Harvard at the age of 19 but she is struggeling to fit in. Now Carrie is living alone in her apartment in New York, she spends her time watching movies, sleeping and she has regular sessions with a psychologist. Carrie has no real friends, by choice in her own opinion. She lives by strict moral and thinks most other people are immoral and obsessed with sex.

A little taste from the novel:
"Wanna meet for coffee?" he asks.
There it is again. Why does it alw
Lana.
Aug 18, 2010 Lana. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds, geeks, freaks - those who are unique
"I want to do what's right.
I also want to be happy.
Is it necessary for these two things to be exclusive?"

I did not like Carrie Pilby. Between her sarcasm and harsh judgments, I couldn't see why she would consider herself deserving consideration or kindness. But I kept reading - maybe because I soon realised that the loneliness and depression that she felt is something I (and most people) could identify with.

Carrie is a teen genius with high moral standards. Living in New York after graduating
rainyfeathers
Speak
I really liked the book since Carrie is a person I can relate. I am also really logical and sometimes I also don't agree with a lot of things that society makes us do. I'm not genius smart like Carrie but like her I like to have a interesting conversation and not always some small talk about stupid things. I also relate with her because she has a hard time making friends and fitting in since she is different from people that are her age. I liked the book because it talk about things that I usual ...more
Gmr
Oh CARRIE PILBY...how I love thee (the book not a literal person..hehe), let me count the ways. I love your spunk and personality even though at times I found bits of myself in you. I love your willingness to right wrongs no one else would touch. I love your hermit like nature that grows to accept others in your own time and space. I love...the story OVERALL! A great read from cover to cover...if her "personal ad" doesn't draw you in with it's straight forward nature and humor to boot...you migh ...more
Carrie Pilby
Well, as our name shows, it is quite obvious we are fans of the book Carrie Pilby by Caren Lissner. From Carrie's journey to fit in to her Pilby Parties to her sassy quotes, we couldn't put the book down. That is why we decided to get together to create the Carrie Pilby movie. We are currently in the middle of our crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, and we need help of our fellow Carrie fans to help us make the movie happen. Head to http://bit.ly/CarriePilbyKS for a sneak peek, to learn more, ...more
Sunny
I enjoyed this book SO much more than I had expected to. If you've ever been alone in a strange city on a major holiday, or felt like the oddball at the party...or you're just freakishly smarter in some way than most other people you meet, you'll like this book. It's not chick lit, or a romance, but rather a coming of age story about a really bright, young woman in NYC who learns how to get out of her comfy little apartment and actually meet people.
Brittney Reed
Rounded up from one star on account of nostalgia. I adored this book when I was 14. I related to Carrie because I was an intellectually gifted child and felt victimized by the world. Like Carrie, I was intensely rigid and judgmental. I was emotionally immature despite seeming older. I was probably, like Carrie, a total asshole.

Reading this as a 26-year-old woman was rough. I was amazed by Carrie's callous disregard for others, her snobbishness, and her prejudices. She did not strike me as terri
Erin
This book started out a little annoying but it actually had me interested through out the book. I found myself reading it rather quickly. It got really good in the last few chapters. I wasn't too fond of the ending though. I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone. It was just a random book I bought quite a while ago. I can't even remember where I actually purchased it from. All in all though, a nice read to pass the time.
Rena
4.5 stars. Eccentric but likeable heroine. Lots of philosophical questions and ideas to ponder. I could tell this book was written before 2010 (actually in 2003) due to the lack of mention of social media and that smoking was allowed in bars/restaurants. I appreciated Carrie's relationship with her psychologist.
S.J
this book was kinda dumb. first she would stop talking about how people are so sex-obessed and how she doesnt get it. well i think if you talk about sex and think about sex every day, your sex-obessed too. i mean it was so ridiclous. every page sex, sex,sex sex.well other than that it was a pretty good book.
Carol Benton
An excellent "coming of age" novel from the viewpoint of the brilliant young woman trying to adjust to adult life after a whirlwind educational experience this book carries the reader through the inner turmoil to the ultimate success.
  • On The Verge
  • The Thin Pink Line
  • The Journal of Mortifying Moments
  • The Dim Sum of All Things
  • The Book of Jane
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? (Red Dress Ink)
  • Cat's Meow
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • Fishbowl
  • The Year of Living Famously
Caren Lissner is the author CARRIE PILBY (rereleased July 1, 2010) - a humorous novel about a 19-year-old genius who graduated from Harvard three years early and doesn't know how to fit in when dating and living in New York City. The main character believes many of the people she meets to be immoral and hypocritical. So how far should she go to fit in with others her age? See www.carenlissner.com ...more
More about Caren Lissner...
Starting from Square Two La vie (pas) très cool de Carrie Pilby Starting from Square Two (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback)) Lo strano mondo di Carrie Pilby Io gioco da sola