Start by marking “The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #1)

The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (The Books of the True Game: Mavin Manyshaped #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  625 ratings  ·  14 reviews
For Mavin, coming of age as a shape-shifter is both exhilarating and terrifying. Recklessly headstrong, she is to become notorious in the lands of the True Game. With her brother, she leaves their home - a place of slavery and fear - only to have the boy's powers of beguilement lead them into danger. Rescued by the Wizard Himaggery, the shape-shift and man of magic make a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 183 pages
Published March 1st 1985 by Ace (first published February 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Song of Mavin Manyshaped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song of Mavin Manyshaped

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothWhen Earthlings Weep by Michael  BarnettStarshine by G.S. JennsenOnce Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestion
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books with Strong Female Characters
208th out of 648 books — 609 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Cider House Rules by John IrvingLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezPerfume by Patrick Süskind
Best Books of 1985
122nd out of 128 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol.
May 29, 2013 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminist young adult readers, fans of unusual fantasy
Song of Mavin contains the kernels of everything I love about Tepper's work. There's the character herself; a little dreamy but becoming determined and practical, coming into her strength by developing self-reliance and thinking far outside tradition. The threads of horror running through it, and the struggles of sexism, of being assigned by birth to baby-making with only limited freedoms. The convoluted and slow punishment of wanton destruction--very few authors could develop a wicker basket i ...more
Christine Rose
Like most high fantasy books I try to read, there are far too many strange words and creatures and names to keep them all straight.

I got about halfway through before deciding that it was too confusing and too much work. I'll stick with urban fantasy.

That said, what I did read and understand was superbly written. I love Tepper's writing style, and I simply adore her social commentary on abused and exploited women, as well as the justified punishment Mavin dishes out to the disgusting rapists. L
Eden Celeste
I originally read this book in high school and it made a large impact on me. I've re-read it since, but it's still probably been 15 years since I've picked it up so my memory is now rather sketchy on the actual story. However, this was probably the best book I've read about a shape shifter (not of the werewolf variety, but more like Otto from Deep Space Nine). I also think that this was written early in Tepper's carer as it does not contain the social commentary that her later-written books do.
Arlene Allen
An outstanding, well developed, brilliantly characterized, clearly imagined and original - this is my favorite of all Tepper's series.

You know, I do understand about messages and causes (especially those I support) but it saddens me to no end to see such a brilliant talent limited in the way Tepper's has become.
Althea Ann
Early Tepper!
This has been kicking around under my ownership for a while, and I decided to read it now because the title character was mentioned, in passing, in the last Patricia McKillip book I read (Od Magic). This made me go, "Huh, is Mavin a mythological character, not just a fictional character?" No. It's just an homage.
Still, it deserves an homage.
I really liked this book. It does show that it's an early work (1985, her 4th or 5th novel, I believe). This is both good and bad. The prose is
O.M. Grey
I've been wanting to read a Sheri S. Tepper book for some time. Unfortunately, this wasn't a great one for me to start with. It's the first in a series of books I won't be reading, but it's part of the True Game series, consisting of a few trilogies and short stories. Although, I might give King's Blood Four a go.

So, The Song of Mavin Manyshaped, like most high fantasy books I try to read, had far too many strange words and creatures and names to keep them all straight.

I got about halfway throug
Barb
Finished this book so easily! I can just step right into Sheri's worlds and trust that I won't get out until I am ready. Usually that means that I take my time with her books and enjoy the stay, but this was a quick read and I got to the end before I realized! Mavin is a wonderful character, so wise at such a young age. I just love how she goes against the grain of traditional teaching to figure out her own way of being, which causes her to become so much more.

I just love Sheri S. Tepper. Plain
Sarah Barlow
Tepper's use of language is breathtaking. I love how she weaves threads of horror throughout the book. Her heroinr Mavin is a feminist hero, battling to escape the sexism in her home environment.
Autumn
After over a decade of searching for this book through the dusty confines of my memory I have found it. I am reading it again along with more novels by Sheri. From what I can remember it is a delightful book, with the ability to stay within your memory for many years after you first read it.
Foggygirl
I read this when I was in elementary school, loved it but loaned it to a friend who forgot to give it back! Fortunately I was able to get another copy years later and I ain't letting it out of my sight!
C.J. Moseley
I think I prefer Mavin's prequel to the original true-game. Not only do we learn more about the land of the true game, but we see beyond the edges of the map, beyond the board. Excellent.
Candice Bundy
Mar 23, 2011 Candice Bundy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a wonderful treatment of shape shifters. Tepper's universe is truly fantastical and full of wonderment in this book and the related series. Good books for YA.
Rhiannon
The world of Mavin Manyshaped is a fantastic and wonderful world.
Check it out!!!
Helen
very nice prequel to True Game
Calista
Calista marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Anita Stafford
Anita Stafford marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
H.L. Stephens
H.L. Stephens marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Carly Kirk
Carly Kirk marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
  • Haunted Waters
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Solstice Wood (Winter Rose, #2)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
  • Alabaster
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Ceres, Celestial Legend: Toya (Ceres, Celestial Legend #12)
  • All the Windwracked Stars (The Edda of Burdens, #1)
  • The Hidden Land (The Secret Country, #2)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • Gatherer of Clouds (Initiate Brother, #2)
  • The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3)
  • Divided Allegiance (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #2)
  • Water Witch
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen
More about Sheri S. Tepper...
The Gate to Women's Country Grass (Arbai, #1) Beauty The Family Tree Raising the Stones