Start by marking “The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #1)

The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (The Books of the True Game: Mavin Manyshaped #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  735 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
For Mavin, coming of age as a shape-shifter is both exhilarating and terrifying. Recklessly headstrong, she is to become notorious in the lands of the True Game. With her brother, she leaves their home - a place of slavery and fear - only to have the boy's powers of beguilement lead them into danger. Rescued by the Wizard Himaggery, the shape-shift and man of magic make a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 183 pages
Published March 1st 1985 by Ace (first published February 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Song of Mavin Manyshaped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song of Mavin Manyshaped

Carol.
May 29, 2013 Carol. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: feminist young adult readers, fans of unusual fantasy
Song of Mavin contains the kernels of everything I love about Tepper's work. There's the character herself; a little dreamy but becoming determined and practical, coming into her strength by developing self-reliance and thinking far outside tradition. The threads of horror running through it, and the struggles of sexism, of being assigned by birth to baby-making with only limited freedoms. The convoluted and slow punishment of wanton destruction--very few authors could develop a wicker basket i ...more
Christine Rose
Dec 25, 2012 Christine Rose rated it liked it
Like most high fantasy books I try to read, there are far too many strange words and creatures and names to keep them all straight.

I got about halfway through before deciding that it was too confusing and too much work. I'll stick with urban fantasy.

That said, what I did read and understand was superbly written. I love Tepper's writing style, and I simply adore her social commentary on abused and exploited women, as well as the justified punishment Mavin dishes out to the disgusting rapists. L
Eden Celeste
Feb 23, 2009 Eden Celeste rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-high
I originally read this book in high school and it made a large impact on me. I've re-read it since, but it's still probably been 15 years since I've picked it up so my memory is now rather sketchy on the actual story. However, this was probably the best book I've read about a shape shifter (not of the werewolf variety, but more like Otto from Deep Space Nine). I also think that this was written early in Tepper's carer as it does not contain the social commentary that her later-written books do.
Arlene Allen
Aug 19, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it it was amazing
An outstanding, well developed, brilliantly characterized, clearly imagined and original - this is my favorite of all Tepper's series.

You know, I do understand about messages and causes (especially those I support) but it saddens me to no end to see such a brilliant talent limited in the way Tepper's has become.
Marie
Nov 03, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
I had a feeling I’d like Mavin more than her kid. :)

Favorite of the books in the “True Game Universe” so far and by a lot. Tepper has matured a mite for this one. We are shown a narrower slice of the world, allowing Tepper to go into great and interesting detail on talent clans - the shapeshifters primarily. Attitudes toward shapeshifting while pregnant! Shapeshifting competitions! Great fun.

There’s also a certain appeal in returning to a world again and again. I had my maps!

Lots of nods to the
Victoria
Oct 21, 2015 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 actually.

I really enjoyed the creativity of this world and the system of magic and rule here. I also loved how strong and independent the main character was and I loved the way she solved the problem of the predicament that started her journey. The cast of characters was interesting and fun.

I found myself losing interest in the story about 3/4th of the way through though and it seemed to lose a bit of steam and immediacy at that point which is the reason for me taking 1.5 stars off.

None the
Althea Ann
Sep 29, 2012 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
Early Tepper!
This has been kicking around under my ownership for a while, and I decided to read it now because the title character was mentioned, in passing, in the last Patricia McKillip book I read (Od Magic). This made me go, "Huh, is Mavin a mythological character, not just a fictional character?" No. It's just an homage.
Still, it deserves an homage.
I really liked this book. It does show that it's an early work (1985, her 4th or 5th novel, I believe). This is both good and bad. The prose is
O.M. Grey
Jan 02, 2013 O.M. Grey rated it liked it
I've been wanting to read a Sheri S. Tepper book for some time. Unfortunately, this wasn't a great one for me to start with. It's the first in a series of books I won't be reading, but it's part of the True Game series, consisting of a few trilogies and short stories. Although, I might give King's Blood Four a go.

So, The Song of Mavin Manyshaped, like most high fantasy books I try to read, had far too many strange words and creatures and names to keep them all straight.

I got about halfway throug
Barb
May 31, 2010 Barb rated it really liked it
Finished this book so easily! I can just step right into Sheri's worlds and trust that I won't get out until I am ready. Usually that means that I take my time with her books and enjoy the stay, but this was a quick read and I got to the end before I realized! Mavin is a wonderful character, so wise at such a young age. I just love how she goes against the grain of traditional teaching to figure out her own way of being, which causes her to become so much more.

I just love Sheri S. Tepper. Plain
Sarah Barlow
Sep 04, 2014 Sarah Barlow rated it really liked it
Tepper's use of language is breathtaking. I love how she weaves threads of horror throughout the book. Her heroinr Mavin is a feminist hero, battling to escape the sexism in her home environment.
Ashley Franks
Feb 04, 2016 Ashley Franks rated it it was amazing
I have waited many years to read this book. Having been out of print, my attempts to purchase it were faced with outrageous prices. Fifteen years later and I was able to purchase this and the final book for a reasonable price (the 2nd book being in my collection all this time, waiting to be read).

I was kind of afraid that I might have outgrown the True Game series, but am delighted to see the world is as interesting as I've long thought it to have been. I will have to reread the Necromancer and
Tim Weakley
Good read. Sounds like an interesting world and I'm looking forward to knowing more about the games.
Autumn
Dec 30, 2008 Autumn rated it it was amazing
After over a decade of searching for this book through the dusty confines of my memory I have found it. I am reading it again along with more novels by Sheri. From what I can remember it is a delightful book, with the ability to stay within your memory for many years after you first read it.
Foggygirl
May 21, 2011 Foggygirl rated it really liked it
I read this when I was in elementary school, loved it but loaned it to a friend who forgot to give it back! Fortunately I was able to get another copy years later and I ain't letting it out of my sight!
C.J. Moseley
Aug 14, 2012 C.J. Moseley rated it it was amazing
I think I prefer Mavin's prequel to the original true-game. Not only do we learn more about the land of the true game, but we see beyond the edges of the map, beyond the board. Excellent.
Candice Bundy
Mar 23, 2011 Candice Bundy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a wonderful treatment of shape shifters. Tepper's universe is truly fantastical and full of wonderment in this book and the related series. Good books for YA.
Rhiannon
May 01, 2009 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
The world of Mavin Manyshaped is a fantastic and wonderful world.
Check it out!!!
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
very nice prequel to True Game
Impostorr
Impostorr rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Hannah Ziegler
Hannah Ziegler marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Hollie Louise Linn
Hollie Louise Linn marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Sid Mears
Sid Mears marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
miss j warner
miss j warner rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
  • The Art of Ceres: Celestial Legend
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Solstice Wood (Winter Rose, #2)
  • Quag Keep
  • Haunted Waters
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • The Golden Swan (Book of the Isle, #5)
  • Alabaster
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
  • Demons of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #2)
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
  • Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)
  • Shadow
  • Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light
  • The Prophet of Lamath (Pelman the Powershaper #1)
  • The Hidden Land (The Secret Country, #2)
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen
More about Sheri S. Tepper...

The Books of the True Game: Mavin Manyshaped (3 books)
  • The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #2)
  • The Search of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #3)