Eye of Heaven (Dirk & Steele #5)

Eye of Heaven (Dirk & Steele #5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,154 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Like every member of the Dirk & Steele Agency, Blue Perrineau is far from "normal"—and he believes in the organization's creed: Protect the innocent in secrecy. Now an obligation to the family that rejected him is leading Blue into the light and shadow of Sin City . . . and to a remarkable woman, beautiful, desirable, and untamed.

Iris is a headliner in Vegas, dazzling...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Avon (first published December 1st 2006)

Zeek
Eye of Heaven had a yummy Sayid'esque (Sayid of Lost) hero (at least that's how I pictured him!) and a shapeshifting heroine. Really liked this one for it’s distinguishing characters! Liu manages to tell PNR stories that are different in a sub-genre that is in a glut right now. 4.5 out of 5 from me!
Catherine
On the surface this seems like the most likely book (so far) in the series to resemble a typical Paranormal Romance. The hero has a magical power, the heroine’s a shifter who works and lives with her animals, two men want the heroine at the same time, the heroine doesn’t like to touch anyone until she meets the hero, etc. These are not unique things in PNR, yet somehow the author manages to morph the story into something fresh and different. I really think that her writing reads like an Urban Fa...more
WildAboutBones
This fifth story in Liu's Dirk & Steele paranormal romance series features shapeshifters, an eletrokinetic, a telekinetic, a couple of sociopaths and a flesh peddler. All of the stories in this series are stand alone and while characters from previous books do appear in them, you will not have any problems if you read out of order.

Blue takes the sexy male lead this time. Blue is an electrokinetic, can control anything using electricity but being near a lot of electricity in use can be hell...more
Ronda  Tutt
This was actually a good story, however the reason for the 3 star is because even though there was a good character build up with the plot going into a good direction, the climax of the story bombed. I mean it made no sense and it was confusing and not clear to the motives and reasoning's - or maybe the author just didn't explain it very well.

I did enjoy the characters though and I did find myself hanging on to every word in some scenes of the story but then at the end the author lost me with t...more
Jenny Delandro
Psychic private detectives use their special skills to get results where normal people fail.
Blue is coerced into finding a brother he has never meet by a father whom he hates.
(view spoiler)...more
Mystique Reviews
Sometimes the world is a dark and dangerous place where things really do go bump in the night. The fourth installment in the Dirk and Steele series takes a darker turn then the previous books.

It starts out with Blu Perrineau, Dirk and Steele agent and electrokinetic, being badly injured in the line of duty. Ordered to take time off he is quickly pulled into a family crisis when he is informed his father is dead and his estranged brother is missing. Manipulation, black market organ harvesting, il...more
Kathrynn
Book #5 in this series and I didn't care for it--much. First of all, this was not a romance, but more a sci-fi/fiction. The descriptions rambled on and added very little to the story. I felt jerked out of the story by most of the useless descriptions and it took me awhile to get back in (the story). The dialogue could have been reduced as well. Generally, if it doesn't aid in the story, it shouldn't be there: no matter how well written.

Finally, this book had too much happening in it. What was t...more
Siria
The plot to this one had pretty much everything in it. International organ smugglers? Check. Long-lost half brothers reunited when they both run away to the circus? Check. Multiple mysterious organisations with world-dominating aspirations run by psychics? Check. Still, I quite liked Iris—very loyal, but quite introverted—and Blue, who is patient and nicely angsty and of mixed-race Afghani background! Liu's starting to tone down some of the most obvious of her stylistic tics by now, I think, and...more
Yune
Dipping my toes into the work of a popular paranormal romance author. It didn't really hold up for me -- I'm searching for writing, worldbuilding, and plot that's just as strong as the romance. I liked the characters here, and their brand of humor, but the interconnectedness of random elements in order to make a story made my teeth ache from all the grinding.
Nath
Cecilia Quick
This was an interesting book. I liked that both the hero, Blue, and heroine had family history issues; that made them relatable. I liked that these issues extended to the hero's brother and yet ultimately Blue and his brother worked through them. I found that emotionally touching and satisfying. This author does a great job describing settings, whether Jakarta or Vegas, so that aspect was well-done and fun, like a James Bond movie. I loved that the heroine, who is a shape shifter, works in a cir...more
Alyssa  *Tyrahnny*
This one made me think of a mix between X-Men and the Leopard series by Christine Feehan.

Eyes of Heaven was a pleasant surprise. But you have to be patient. Coz not much happen till half of the book but when the action begin, this book become so exciting. It had a little something different from the Paranormal Romance I usually read. The book wasnt just center on the love story and with this part you have to be patient too but when Blue and Iris begin to get closer you wont be dissapointed. You...more
Chelsea
So here I am still slowly but surely working my way through the Dirk and Steele books, this being the fourth full length novel (there's a novella that fits in there somewhere too). I pick up these books because I like the diversity of setting and situation. In particular this one promised the treat of Las Vegas and circus shows, and in contrast the murky underworld on Indonesia. Liu also has some of the most diverse and interesting characters, and the leading couple in this book are no exception...more
Kathy
Blue is an agent of Dirk & Steele, with the power to affect electricity - including the electrical impluses that keep a heart beating... He is tracking down Santoso, an evil, sadistic operator within a greater Consortium - his speciality is stealing people's organs to sell and sex slave trade, and his interest is in trying to take other people's psychic powers... and Blue is stopped in Jakarta, when trying to track one of Santoso's women (who ends up to be an agent in her own right & Iri...more
Gina Briganti
If you've been following the series from the beginning then you already know Blue, and Iris is a new character for you. Up until now we didn't know anything about Blue's past, and we soon learn that it is much more complicated and involved with the parallel paranormal world that Marjorie M. Liu has created with her Dirk & Steele series. Iris is a shape-shifter that tries really hard to live just like everybody else. Except for her cat companions that she performs with and lives with.

The Dirk...more
Kate
Dirk & Steele had a creed: Protect the innocent in secrecy. No member of the Agency was "normal." Each was an outcast, a pariah, a beneficent shadow living under the sun but rarely in its warmth. "Blue" Perrineau was no different. And now, when it was clear that darker shadows existed in the world- people who followed no rule under heaven- every secret was a liability. Blue would soon see.

They came from all over the world to observe Iris's lithe, catlike body and her affinity for wild creatu...more
Melanie S.
Ich habe schon so lange nichts mehr in dieser Reihe gelesen, dass ich ziemlich viel vergessen habe. Grade bei den Nebencharakteren habe ich länger gebraucht um sie zuordnen zu können. Und abgesehen von ein paar Momenten in den letzten Kapiteln, hat mir das Buch gut gefallen. Rezi folgt demnächst dann ;)
Amber
Kimberly
Kim~Fantasy~
Ok the chaos goes SO deep in this series...I'm dying to know who runs this other agency and who is the mastermind behind the Consortium!! Blue and his brother are super hot, but I think I would have to go with Daniel. Now My poor Artur and his wonderful Elena were put to rights but I felt like I was put throught the ringer for it. And all thanks to the sinfully delicious Rictor who shows up...(WHERE IS HIS BOOK?) cause i'm friggin salivating for more of him, and can I please be the woman to get...more
Nicole
This is the second Dirk & Steele book I read in a row in which the bad guys are Asian. It impeded my ability to enjoy the rest of the novel. It's too bad, because the tension between Blue and his brother, the prickliness of Iris, the grey morals of her mother and the the-enemy-of-my-enemy-is-(temporarily)-my-friend politics made this an engaging read. But then it would shift back to the Asian-man-drugging-girls-into-white-slavery subplot (with added organ theft, just to toss in a dollop of m...more
Clover
Amazing imagination. Marjorie M. Liu is a favorite. I can't get enough of these Dirk & Steele novels. Each one is beyond creative and so fast-paced I rip through them because they are unputdownable.

The novels each focus on at least one member (and their love interest) of the D&S agency, whose mission is to protect innocent people from the supernatural evils of the world. Oh, and all those working for the agency have some sort of ability or are supernatural beings themselves.

It's a grea...more
Hbeebti
This one takes place in Las Vegas. Blue is on the hunt for his long lost half brother. When he meets him at a circus no less he also meets Iris( who is also a shape shifter) . Instant attraction. There is a lot going on this book. Who is who in the bad guy world. Just when I had it figured out I was wrong. Some of our old friends from previous books makes and appearance and that made me glad like the gang is back together again.Lots of action enjoyed this book a lot.
Darlene
I liked the ending, but the book kind of dragged in several chapters.
Bethany
I always love anything from Marjorie M. Liu. She's not very high profile, but she should be. She always weaves an amazing story with complex characters and situations. This book was no different. I liked how she humanized Iris, who is not entirely human. And of course the dashing Blue, coming to rescue the damsel in distress, making me sigh wistfully. A very enjoyable read.
Veronika Levine
I would like a bit more romance in these books, they are so so dark. But if you want a book with real honest to god bad buys, this is your author. I like her world of psychics joining a detective type agency and although I've skipped around with book in this series, they are all good standouts. If you like creepy, really bad guy villains, you'll like this book!
Christie
Good stand alone novel, but it does make you wonder about the other Dirk & Steele books. However the violence in this particular story was right at my threshold of too much, any more graphic and I would have had to quit reading. There are a few cliffhangers involved in this story, so if you don't like to be left wondering, maybe chose another book.
Kaje Harper
I like the Dirk and Steel paranormal series. This one was a little full of coincidences and over-the-top bad guys. The tension between Blue and his brother was nice, the romance wasn't bad. It just felt a little scattered and Iris for some reason didn't seem as real to me as some of the other heroines in the series.
a_tiffyfit
I'm really enjoying this paranormal romance series...the Dirk & Steele members and their adventures are quick-paced and the relationships of those in previous novels keep intertwining with those in the current, which makes it even better as it feels like you're getting to know everyone in the family.
Lois
Couldn't put it down. Liu's writing is mesmerizing. Blue is a fabulous character.

I don't like plots where you don't know who's good and who's bad--but that's kinda the genre here. And this book is clearly in the middle of a larger plotline. That's OK. I intend to keep reading.
  • Breakfast with Tiffany: An Uncle's Memoir
  • Dark Dreamers  (Dark, #7b) (Dirk & Steele, #4)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • The Darkening (Immortals, #2)
  • Shards of Crimson (Crimson City, #7)
  • Atlantis Redeemed (Warriors of Poseidon, #5)
  • Through a Crimson Veil (Crimson City, #3)
  • The Master (Sons of Destiny, #3)
  • The Shattered Sylph (Sylph, #2)
  • A Darker Crimson (Crimson City, #4)
  • Sea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • Captive Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #3)
  • Lucky (Gambler's Daughters, #3)
  • Selene
  • Angel with Attitude
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • Crimson Moon (Moon, #4)
The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1) Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele,  #1) Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2) Shadow Touch (Dirk & Steele,  #2) Soul Song (Dirk and Steele,  #6)