Start by marking “Lassie Come-Home” as Want to Read:
Lassie Come-Home

Lassie Come-Home

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,985 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
A beloved classic gets a beautiful new look.

Lassie is Joe's prize collie and constant companion. But when Joe's father loses his job, Lassie must be sold. Three times she escapes from her new owner, and three times she returns home to Joe, until finally she is taken to the remotest part of Scotland—too far a journey for any dog to make alone.

But Lassie is not just any dog.
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Lassie Come-Home, please sign up.

Chasity
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
21st out of 754 books — 1,490 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
326th out of 3,383 books — 6,373 voters

More lists with this book...

Mario
Aug 15, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read
I think everyone and their mother knows the story of Lassie. I mean, there are countless movie adaptations. But for some reason, I haven't picked up the book until now. And I've got to say, this truly is a beautiful and heartwarming story, from start to finish. It was great hearing from a dogs point of view, and the struggles she survived. The story even had a few unexpected twists.

So in conclusion, amazing book, and I've got a feeling that it'll stay one of my favorite children's books for a re
booklady
I have always wanted to read this book; I've seen the movie many times. Now I finally read it as an adult. However, I didn't read it just as ‘story’, but from the perspective of the “Great Journey Home” which we are all on. My read was a quest for universal themes, and one in particular. This quote had me in tears when I first encountered it and saw it as pertaining to my own journey back to Jesus:
‘...there was no hesitation. She was going home. Her senses were now aware of a great satisfaction
Wendy
Sep 26, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
This book would be great for any animal-loving child, but adults like myself can find enjoyment, too. The writing style isn't too simplistic, actually giving kids credit for having some brains. The book also gives children credit for being able to handle more mature subjects, without going into any gruesome details. (view spoiler) Lassie's journey is touching, and I think both adults and children should find this book rewarding ...more
Tarissa
Feb 02, 2010 Tarissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a delightful and heartwarming story that takes place right after World War I, in England and Scotland. The storyline centers on Lassie, the Carraclough's pet Collie. The family loves their dog very much... but when hard times hit, the family is forced into making a life-changing and heart-wrenching decision.

The town of Greenall Bridge could always depend on seeing Lassie trotting down the streets with her owner, young Joe Carraclough.
As the story unfolds, you will discover how determined
Teresa
Dec 21, 2008 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Lassie Rules!!!
I had to put this book on here, because this was by far one of my favorite books when I was little... I would constantly check Lassie out from my elementary library and read it over and over agian... It got me into stories like Call of the Wild, and White Fang... But this book was one of the books that made me the reader I am today... I love lassie! =)
Mary Neary
Apr 07, 2012 Mary Neary rated it it was amazing
This is a book that a read and retread as a child as well as watched the movie. The characters, the Scottish countryside and the heart wrenching story of the loyalty of a dog and a family's poverty still stay with me 45 years later. It is a testament to how a great book can become a part of our being and life experience, as if we lived it ourselves.
Carly M.
May 03, 2010 Carly M. rated it it was amazing
This is the book (coupled with the old TV show) that made the collie my all-time favorite dog. Even now when I know that having a sheep dog in a house in the suburbs doesn't work out very well, I still can't help but stop and stare in fascination whenever I see a collie or a sheltie (the miniature equivalent) on the street or on TV.
Ali
Jan 14, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it
i was surprised by the emotionally maturity that the author gave to the son.

i love this book.
Gale
“TO OWN A DOG”

What does it take to be a true dog owner and dog lover? Certainly more than a piece of paper or a pedigree chart. Besides, what is an owner compared to being a dog’s one, true Master? Eric Knight’s 1940 tale of a dog who risks everything to be
reunited with the boy who loves her leaped into the hearts of readers the world over. Based on his youth in the mountains of Yorkshire the story opens with basic conflict: Man versus man, but unfolds into dog versus the world: man, beast, a
Rebecca McNutt
May 08, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Timeless classic and a lesson of friendship and perseverance; I loved this wonderful dog story when I was a little kid and it's definitely worth reading. I can't say I cared for the film adaptation(s?) but I really enjoyed the book and I highly recommend it.
Amy Keane
May 24, 2013 Amy Keane rated it it was amazing
I read this to my son recently and it is wonderful! A friend gave it to me because she and I have a dream-in-planning to visit England next summer with our families. It takes place in Northern England in Yorkshire, so I tried my best to read it aloud to my son using a Yorkshire accent. I am sure I sounded Scottish. Lassie is taken by a wealthy lord to his home in Scotland to train for dog shows. Of course she misses her "boy" and makes her way back.

The book we read had a map of the regions invo
Alex Gaboury
Jul 23, 2015 Alex Gaboury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A spectacular book!
SPOILER ALERT:

A beatiful book about a dog who tries to find her way home. She starts with her family as a fine dog. She has never left this family. She waits for her little master after he has completed the school day. One day she is sold to a mean duke who doesn't spend a lot of time with her. She escapes to her family, but is always brought back. One day she is taken hundreds of miles away from her family. She finds her way back home, to the suprise of many people. On her wa
Greta
Jan 05, 2012 Greta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samuel Arnett
This book is awesome i mean awesome.its about this dog named Lassie and her best friend Joe the human,Joe's dad is Sam and his mother.Lassie is a well known dog the hole naberhood knows her,until this mean nasty man named the Duke.The Duke loved this dog so he bought her off of Joe.well Sam.So the Duke takes her home.The Duke is A very rich man,the reason why he's rich is because he trains the dog he collects and put's them in show's.The Duke owns these cage's and keeps the dogs in there.so its ...more
Liebes Buch
May 18, 2015 Liebes Buch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Ich habe das Headroom Hörbuch gehört)
Eric Knight hat das Original-Lassie-Buch 1938 veröffentlicht, und es haut einen auch heute noch vom Hocker. Ich bin ein grosser Lassie Fan und habe mich auf den Originaltext sehr gefreut. Dass ausgerechnet Jens Wawrczeck das Hörbuch spricht, ist ein besonderer Glücksfall und wurde mit dem BEO Kinderhörbuchpreis ausgezeichnet. Wawrczeck liest einfühlsam und haucht den verschiedenen Personen Leben ein, so dass das Audiobuch in keiner Weise monoton wirkt. Als d
Tina
Feb 13, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every single person on the planet
My journey with this book has been over 10 years. I probably read the book in Chinese when I was 8 or 9. It must have been a book from one of the libraries I used to go to, because I don't have a copy at home. I remember being captivated by the book, and I remember reading it at a restaurant. I took the book out of my car using my dad's car keys, and read it while waiting for food at the fancy restaurant. It also had a white cover.

I remember loving the book. Really really liked it. I know that I
Shelly
Jul 27, 2015 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, childrens, dnf
I've owned this book since before I can remember. I stole it from my brother when we were kids and wrote my name all over the inside cover so he couldn't take it back. I think I just liked looking at the pictures of the dog. But all these years and I've yet to read it. I'm not sure if I ever will, but I still look at it with fondness.
Whitepixels
Apr 06, 2014 Whitepixels rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Lassie Come-Home is about a dog who finds her way home to her owners after walking several hundreds of miles and going through various hardships and adventures. Read it when I was about 10 years old; at that time it did not leave much of an impression on me, but I would like to revisit it with adult eyes.
Renee
Jun 13, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it
A friend brought me her old copy of this book, in honor of my new puppy.

I had never read this before. Interesting to read a children's book written long ago. It gives a sense of what was expected of children's ability to understand at that time.

Good story.
Megan
Jun 01, 2010 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always thought this book was called Lassie, rather than Lassie Come Home, probably because of the movie and t.v. series. This book is a really sweet story with a happy ending. Not much to it, but it's a perfect children's book, especially for kids who like dogs.
Dxarmbar06
Jun 11, 2014 Dxarmbar06 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up for fifty cents at a used book store and was instantly hooked by the prose. Very deep, intellectual literacy caliber, considering they wrote better back in the early 20th century. This book is about so much more than a dog, it's about the universal class struggle and the Human Condition as seen through the eyes of absolute innocence--a dog. This dog represents everything the poor working man stands for, and all that the rich powerful man seeks to take away. It portrays how ...more
Kim
Apr 17, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Such a compelling book! One of the best classic book EVER! I loved the story of Lassie! I love Lassie!! I was addicted from the start. I grew up watching the movies and decided to read the books...
Salvatore Leone
May 24, 2010 Salvatore Leone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my favorites from my youth and when I saw that my wife's nephew had a copy I had to reread this classic. It holds up well, is still a wonderful, heartwarming story.
Missy
May 05, 2011 Missy rated it really liked it
I read this to my kids and neither one of them liked it. I think it was because they didn't pick it out, I did. But I really liked the book, it was a fast easy read.
William  Shep
Jun 13, 2009 William Shep rated it it was amazing
The greatest and most beloved dog adventure of all time. Even someone like me, who doesn't like dogs, loves this story.
Rose Ann
I had never read this as a child. I'm not ashamed to admit I sobbed like a baby when I read this book. Wonderful!
Hans-Peter
Aug 11, 2012 Hans-Peter rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read. I was six years old, and my Dad gave it to me. A terrific book for kids.
Devika
Nov 10, 2010 Devika rated it really liked it
I love dogs, I loved Lassie from my very soul.. it's my dream to have a dog like her.. :)
Sylvester
Sobbed my way through this one as a kid. Lovely story about the faithfulness of a family pet.
Boo
One of those books that I had to read it when I was younger, I wonder why I didn't? (I know why, because the library at my school didn't have it and access to books in that time was difficult). The story is somewhat similar to Black Beauty: the quiet life of an animal that is suddenly interrupted to be taken away from it beloved home. In Lassie's case, she goes thru a long journey to get back to her master, and along the way, she meets nice and bad people.

While BB was darker and more about the h
  • Lad: A Dog
  • Big Red
  • Bambi
  • Gentle Ben
  • National Velvet
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • The Incredible Journey
  • Brighty of the Grand Canyon
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)
  • Beautiful Joe
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Lady and the Tramp (Disney: a Little Golden Book)
  • Rascal
  • Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
  • Minnow on the Say
  • Kazan
An author who is mainly notable for creating the fictional collie Lassie.

He was a native of Yorkshire in England, and had a varied career, including service in the Canadian Army during World War I and spells as an art student, newspaper reporter and Hollywood screenwriter.

His first novel was Song on Your Bugles (1936) about the working class in Northern England. As "Richard Hallas," he wrote the h
More about Eric Knight...