Start by marking “Being Enough” as Want to Read:
Being Enough

Being Enough

Book by Chieko N. Okazaki
Published October 1st 2002 by Bookcraft Pubs

To ask other readers questions about Being Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Enough

Lisi
Oct 10, 2010 Lisi rated it it was amazing
I was inspired by this book. It helped me to feel the love that God has for each of his daughters- I think as women we tend to compare ourselves to each other a lot - too much. We feel like we aren't strong enough, helpful enough, brave enough, spiritual enough etc., and in various ways we just don't measure up. Sister Okazaki uses the scriptures and her own inspiring experiences to remind me that we often compare our weaknesses to other's strengths, and that at the end of the day, God's opinion ...more
Nicola
Feb 02, 2011 Nicola rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
really enjoyed this book and all the emotions and reflections it stirred up inside me. reminded me who i am and what i am worth. made me realise i shouldn't be so hard on myself about all the things i am not. all-in-all a very reflective and thought provoking book that really left me feeling uplifted and positive. every woman should read this!!!
Bondab55
Aug 17, 2009 Bondab55 rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved this book. It helped me realize a lot of things about myself and helped me to gain some self esteem for once in my life. If any of my friends wants to borrow it let me know, I dont think you would be able to find it anywhere but at deseret book. The only bad thing is my copy of the book is really marked up from all of the notes I took, lol. But I would highly recommend this book!
Brooke
May 03, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
The chapter on Sparrow Prayers was something I very much needed to read. Great and encouraging words.
Elizabeth Gardner Johnson
Jun 08, 2015 Elizabeth Gardner Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
"What you have to give is enough - if you give it with all your heart."

What a wonderful and uplifting book! I had previously read Lighten Up and Sanctuary both by Chieko N. Okazaki before purchasing this more recent book. Sister Okazaki has a talent for presenting womanhood in a realistic and down-to-earth way and at the same time sharing how we can experience holiness and spiritual growth in our day-to-day living.

This book is broken down into 12 chapters; each chapter being a mini-sermon on a s
Chanel Earl
May 20, 2011 Chanel Earl rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
This book is beautiful. The essays and lectures are true and interesting and easy to read. I especially appreciate Okazaki's clarity. I never had to wonder what she was talking about.

The reason's I have given it four stars instead of five is because the essay's are kind of forgettable. I think that is a mark of this genre actually. Every time I read a collection of religious essays I have a hard time remembering what they were all about, specifically. Also, her lists of three got old. Every essa
Norrisjackie
Apr 16, 2012 Norrisjackie rated it really liked it
Great book. Should be a must-read for all LDS women. Okazaki is very empowering and real. Some favorite passages:

"There are many ways of being righteous... we don't need to accept any judgments that people may make about us. We don't need to explain, defend, apologize or justify. The Savior knows our hearts and that's good enough for Him."

"Sometimes we tend not to ask questions about options because we feel that we need to think, believe and act the same way as everyone else... I think we need
Andrea
Jul 10, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This book considers the potential each of us has to do good. The author says, "God is the power within us to desire good and to do or accomplish good and He never runs out of energy." So obviously she considers God the source of all our strength. However she also talks about the mortal side of our power. She says, "I think that we don’t have strength unless we have the strength from within of knowing ourselves and liking ourselves." We each have the ability to allow God's power to work in us or ...more
Cathy
Jan 06, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing
After having read this, I number it among my favorite books.

There are no wasted words in this book, no repetition, so space fillers. By the time I had read the first couple of chapters, I already felt I had gained a lot from it. And each chapter just keeps giving. This is the kind of book I will read multiple times, to help me remember and internalize the concepts. I've seen that Sister Okazaki also has a new book out, and I'm sure I will eventually read it, but I'm in no hurry to do so--until
Kayce
Sep 09, 2011 Kayce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church, nonfiction
I really think that every woman should read this book. It made me want to be better while still feeling great about where I am right now. No guilt. Chieko Okazaki is down to earth and realistic. She talks about real world things in ways that make sense. I'm sad I didn't know more about her sooner.
Jennilynn
Nov 27, 2008 Jennilynn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So uplifting and inspirational. I ended up reading some sections more than once before I continued on with the book. We read it for our RS book club. One of the sisters husbands enjoyed it as well and some of Sis. Okazaki's quotes ended up in his Stake Conference talk. I will definitely read this book again!
Tracey Tait
Jan 26, 2011 Tracey Tait rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
I read this as part of a bookclub book but could have done with spending more time on it. It was very thought provoking and there were parts I wanted to slow down on. Luckily there was enough room in the margins to make lots of notes which will make it easier to go back over at a later time. Well written, easy to read, lots to think about.
Kristin
Mar 30, 2016 Kristin rated it liked it
An important voice in Mormonism, Chieko Okazaki constantly voiced the importance of diversity, compassion, and mercy. This book is no exception, and it invites readers to be aware of the range of experiences, difficulties, and needs of the women in the LDS church and to embrace all as valuable members of the whole.
Randi
Jul 16, 2008 Randi rated it it was amazing
This book literally saved me when I was on my mission. I read it my first transfer and it carried me through that horrible time. It is basically about how to stop being so hard on yourself and finding happiness in all the little, cool things in life. It made me very happy. Read it.
Dannika
Jun 25, 2008 Dannika rated it liked it
Recommended to Dannika by: Pilar
I finished this book, at least I think I did, yeah, I'm pretty sure. Pregnant brain is striking early this time! but I liked it. It was a good reminder that we don't have to be perfect and that we need to be kinder to ourselves.

2008 a to z challenge author O
Debbie
Dec 03, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"Being Enough" my Chieko Okazaki is like sitting down with a dear friend and having that friend remind you of your true worth. The insights feel so familiar and comfortable, yet they are presented so simply and beautifully that they feel new and fresh. I highly recommend this book!
Kim Zollinger
Loved this book! I just finished it this past week. It is very spiritual, powerful in message and will turn your sad days into happy ones!
Jo Lynn
Jun 05, 2008 Jo Lynn rated it really liked it
The Author of this book puts it so well, "What you have to give is enough- if you give it with all your heart."
Collette
Nov 07, 2010 Collette rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
I really appreciate Chieko Okazaki's kind voice as she helps the ladies of the church to accept ourselves. Filled with wisdom without the lecture.
Sharon
Jan 16, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious-lifts
Good book... Hers always are. In a world that tells us to DO IT ALL, I learned to STOP, LOOK and LISTEN. This was one of those helpful hints of DOING IT RIGHT for me.
Deborah
May 30, 2008 Deborah rated it liked it
Everyone lives the gospel differently and to compare yourself to others will only lead to darkness. Enough ant hills can move a mountain.
Amy
Apr 29, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gospel-related
Each chapter seemed to have just what I needed at the time I read it. Great book to help you feel better about life and yourself.
Danni
Aug 16, 2012 Danni rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I have been running behind all week and it made me feel better abour what I did do.
Terri W
Terri W rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Mary Rutledge
Mary Rutledge rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2008
Mandy
Mandy rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2008
Ikiao Jason
Ikiao Jason rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Susan Morgan
Susan Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Mayela
Dec 03, 2008 Mayela rated it really liked it
Found it to be very inspiring.
Alena Reid
Alena Reid rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Better Than You Think You Are
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 4 (Mortal Messiah)
  • Be Your Best Self
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Harold B. Lee
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
Chieko N. Okazaki was the first non-Caucasian to serve on a general board of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and was a counselor in the general Relief Society presidency from 1990 to 1997. She is the author of several bestselling books and tapes. She and her husband, the late Ed Okazaki, have two sons.
More about Chieko N. Okazaki...

“If we don't have time for masterpiece moments, the very reason we came to earth is being wasted on us.” 8 likes