Start by marking “The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)

The Dragon Revenant (Deverry #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,638 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
For years the provinces of Deverry have been in turmoil; now the conflict escalates with the kidnapping of Rhodry Maelwaedd, heir to the throne of Aberwyn.Intent on rescuing him, his beloved Jill and the elven wizard Salamander infiltrate the distant land of Bardex, where Rhodry is held captive.Tied to Deverry by obligation and circumstance, the immortal wizard Nevyn begin ...more
Published March 1st 1991 by Spectra (first published April 1st 1990)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
466th out of 1,011 books — 1,950 voters
Take Me with You by Catherine Ryan HydeThe Secret River by Kate GrenvilleLife After Life by Kate AtkinsonLove in the Present Tense by Catherine Ryan HydeCase Histories by Kate Atkinson
Great Kates
14th out of 147 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Apr 15, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Nerine Dorman
Mar 19, 2015 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I can now say I’ve read the first four books in the Deverry Cycle – in their chronological order. These four books form act one, which Katharine Kerr subheads as “Deverry”. And now, looking back to when I first read these during my mid-teens and now, 20 or so very odd years later, I realise exactly what a huge influence they were on me, for wanting to be an author of epic fantasy. (I admit to love the idea of exploring past life relationships for characters, and this is a story seed for ...more
Tatiana
Book 4 "The Dragon Revenant" (known as "Dragonspell" in the UK) marks the end of the first cycle of the Deverry Saga. More details about the saga, plot, style etc. on my comment here for Book 1: Daggerspell.

I found the end of this first cycle really satisfying. Book 3 had ended on an unbearable cliffhanger. You're taken into the suspense again right from the first pages of this 4th installment. Unlike the 3 previous novels, this one won't make us discover in flashbacks parts of our heroes past l
kat
May 05, 2012 kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
It's hard to overstate how disappointing this book was. Long. Dull. Uninspired. Anticlimactic. A pale, passionless shadow of the way the series started out.

I'm glad all the loose ends got tied up and the story all sorted itself out, but boy was it a slog to get here. Unlike the others, this book takes place in a single time period, which makes it even more obvious that Kerr has given up on the one truly original and interesting aspect of Daggerspell -- the reincarnation and Wyrd.

Minus the intere
Kathi
Jun 25, 2016 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A satisfying conclusion to this chapter of the story of Deverry. Without the flashbacks to previous lives of Jill, Rhodry, and others, the story in this book flowed more smoothly. We got to see more of the contrast between the kingdoms of Deverry and Bardek, as well as the relationship between the Brotherhood of dark dwoeomermasters and their assassins, the Hawks. And bravo to the author (view spoiler) ...more
Megan
Jan 21, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
So far this is the first book in the series with no flashbacks. And I was good with that, because we got the entire Bardek story in one beautiful volume. Even though I knew the end result, I had forgotten most of the actual story. It was almost like reading the story for the first time, and that made me so happy.

I will admit to being a romantic, and I think that the end of this book had probably my only "dislike" of the series. (view spoiler)
Rhod Chang
Jul 29, 2007 Rhod Chang rated it really liked it
Shelves: oldgoodtimes
My favorite of the books even though it doesn't have flashbacks, which are usually my main reason for coming back and re-reading the Deverry books. Because really, I just love the whole damn setup so much -- Rhodry in Bardek, Jill starting to learn dweomer but with SALAMANDER of all people, the wonderful bit where we find out what kind of bird Salamander turns into, and above all, Gwin, Gwin, Gwin, Gwin, oh God, GWIN.
Katie
Mar 06, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-high
The Deverry Cycle series is divided into four "acts", of which Dragon Revenant is the last book in the first "act" – the Deverry Saga.

Although I still really enjoyed Dragon Revenant, I miss the complexity that is present when the author includes flashbacks to past lifetimes. There are so many parts of the story that are still unresolved, and with this marking the resolution of this part of the story I wonder if they'll ever get resolved. For example, (view spoiler)
Melanie
Apr 10, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, epic
Another excellent read from Kerr. After reading Book 3 of the Deverry series, I saw myself stopping after the first 4. Now, having read The Dragon Revenant, I want to read the next set of 4! I love the characters, love the plot, and look forward to finding out more about Jill, Nevyn, Rhodry and the Wildfolk in Book 5.
Rebecca
May 22, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Perfect. This story went exactly the way I wanted it to. As much as I liked the other books, the past lives confused me too much, and I always felt that Jill was overshadowed (probably on purpose). In this story, she finally gets the chance to begin exploring the dweamor, and to really be herself. We get a good cast of characters in this story- Rhodda and Salamander in particular shined bright. I hope to see more from them in the coming books.

My only complaint is Perryn- yes, his crimes toward J
Ellise
May 16, 2016 Ellise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous finish to the Deverry series! Everything came together so well at the end that for once i wasn't left asking questions. I know the books still go on starting with A Time of Exile and i am very much looking forward to reading on. The way Kerr writes is to refreshing and easy that you wonder how she made the characters feel so real. I will be reading this Deverry Series all the way to the end with The Silver Mage and hopefully each book will be as read and fabulous as the first fou ...more
Neill Smith
Mar 28, 2015 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing
When Rhys Maelwaed, gwerbret of Aberwyn, died his outlawed younger brother, Rhodry, became heir apparent. Tondalo, the Old One still wished to exact revenge on Nevyn, Lord of the Aethyr, who was primary among the Wizards of the Light. He sent his acolyte to kidnap Rhodry and wipe his mind engendering a succession battle in Aberwyn and enticing Nevyn into combat. Jill, betrothed to Rhodry, and Rhodry's elven brother, Salamander, sought to find Rhodry and free him but found themselves in conflict ...more
Patrickderaaff
Apr 21, 2014 Patrickderaaff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deverry
Op de Bardekse Archipel begint een barbaarse slaaf zijn geheugen terug te krijgen. Hij blijkt een belangrijk man te zijn in het Koninkrijk Deverry en verschillende partijen jagen op hem. Zowel Goede als Kwade machten...

Stoere Rhodry en norse Jill boeien matig, de charmante en kleurrijke Salamander en de Meester van de Ether Nevyn des te meer. De verrichtingen van zowel de Oude als de Havikenmeester vind ik ook interessant, eigenlijk alles wat met de dweomer te maken heeft. Het Natuurvolk vind ik
Nick Reys
Mar 21, 2011 Nick Reys rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 20, 2014 Benjamin Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-epic
This is the fourth novel in the "Deverry" series and the last of the first quartet therein. It's also the first book in the series that stays all in the same timeframe, not jumping back and forth among different timeframes as the previous books do. If I had known that prior to reading this novel, I might have been worried because, frankly, having multiple timeframes with many characters that are reincarnations of themselves was one of the coolest ideas I've ever come across in fantasy fiction. B ...more
Amanda
Jul 16, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
For the first time in the Deverry series, all the action remains in the present day rather than flitting back to fill gaps in the past, and the plot/pacing is all the tighter for it.

Rhodry has been sold as a slave on the Bardek islands, and one storyline follows his new life, intersected with information about Salamander and Jill chasing him down. Behind all this we discover more about the politics and machinations within the Hawks, the Brotherhood and, behind them all, the Old One - desperate e
Grianne
Jan 18, 2013 Grianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artin
Nov 15, 2012 Artin rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading the opening book of the series, I very much doubted that I'd finish it. But when the sad ending-or rather, the sad opening-in one-third of the Daggerspell through brought me to tears I somehow knew I couldn't simply quit reading it.
Finishing The Dragon Revenant, and thus the first act, I must say I'm very glad I kept reading the first book. Looking back at it right now it seems to me that it was worth every minute. While the various time-frames and perhaps not so rel
Andrew Golubiewski
Jan 17, 2016 Andrew Golubiewski rated it really liked it
So, I'm 6 books done of 15 in the Deverry Cycle series'. Just had a friend ask about it and I feel I had the perfect short description. It's a history of a world based on Celtic history and lore, containing magic and fantasy races, as told through intertwined souls reincarnating through time. Starts out as just the interplay between the main character souls but expands into a world history once the reincarnation factor really starts to take hold a few books in. Good series so far all in all.
Broodingferret
Nov 24, 2011 Broodingferret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kerr's Deverry series is broken up into four "scenes", each of which is subdivided into tetralogies (and one trilogy), and The Dragon Revenant wraps up the first one. Unlike the previous novels, this one remains in one time period, namely the established "present", where it manages to tie up enough plot threads to make for a satisfying and distinct conclusion of sorts, while still leaving just enough to make it clear that the overall story isn't over. Kerr also shows a good grasp of realistic ch ...more
Kerry
Apr 06, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. A great conclusion to this arc of the story.

I first read these when they came out and I started but never finished the next one. I don't think I was ready for the change in time and location. This time I'm excited to move on and learn more of the wider story.

Highly recommended, but start with the first book, Daggerspell.
Angela
Jan 19, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The saga finally finishes. Rhodry is a slave and needs rescuing to stop a civil war. There's a more traditional fantasy feeling to this book, there is no flashback story at all. The characters again are fleshed out and quite complicated. I liked the wizard idea, the final battle with the old one, and the ending was quite surprising. It does feel like an ending though, and all questions are answered. Only read this if you have read other books in the series. A very good read.
Kenny
Feb 14, 2014 Kenny rated it really liked it
Wow, that flew by.
A very easy book to read, and a much simpler, straightforward tale compared to the previous three in the series. I found myself missing the previous life stories, as this book was squarely focused on Rhodry and Jill. It was a very fitting, and appropriate ending to the story that started with a young girl playing with the wildfolk and a wandering old herbman searching for her.
Lizzie Newell
This is quite an improvement from the previous two books in the series. The flashbacks are gone, the plot much more engrossing, and the ending has a better sense of completion. Kerr's grasp of her material and themes seems much more assured and more clearly conveys her take on Celtic practices and world view. Teh books show a simplistic polarized view evil which I dislike. If the overblown cliches of evil were removed, it would be difficult to distinguish between good guys and bad guys. Both goo ...more
Bea
Sep 27, 2013 Bea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-epic, z__eng, z__r
I could not resist and I'm not disappointed. I liked the story from the start to the end and there is not one thing that i'm not satisfied with. The five stars are as for this book as for whole Deverry act, because I just cannot rate this book as single. On the one side I could say that "nothing new in this book" but on the other side it's worthy end of an exceptional four-books cycle. (oh, I hope I used right words, I'm still slow with english) I'm glad that there wasn't past period, I liked th ...more
Susana789
Sep 26, 2015 Susana789 rated it liked it
Wow, kniha má už skoro 25 rokov :-). Myslím, že je to jej najväčší nedostatok. Chýba jej súčasná temná atmosféra, napriek potenciálu (epickému, dramatickému, postavovému) je takou páčivou rozprávkou. Jed to čitateľné, je tam nečakaný obrat od očakávaného happyendu, ale tá dramatickosť z knihy netrčí, je schovaná v rozprávkovosti, čo je škoda.
Fantasy Literature
Jul 10, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
For the first time in the DEVERRY series, all the action takes place in the present day rather than flitting back to fill gaps in the past, and the plot and pacing are all the tighter for it.

Rhodry has been sold as a slave on the Bardek islands, and one storyline follows his new life, intersected with information about Salamander and Jill chasing him down. Behind all this we discover more about the politics and machinations within the Hawks, the Brotherhood, and, behind them all, the Old One — d
Kathryn
Feb 21, 2016 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series; I read it first by mistake then went back and read the first two. Great books that definitely make more sense if you read them in order but stand up well separately as well.
Kimberly Watkins
Dec 12, 2014 Kimberly Watkins rated it it was amazing
Just loving this series more & more. I particularly love the little wildfolk. This one did take us on an emotional rollar coaster. I was not very happy with Jill's decision at the end of this book. Although it does make the most sense for her to be able to finally follow her true path.
Jessica
May 27, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
More good stuff from Katharine Kerr. This story has been fascinating and diverse while maintaining characters over four books. The characters grew and changed and developed well.
  • Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • The Center of the Circle
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3)
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #2)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)