Start by marking “Socks” as Want to Read:
Socks

Socks

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  7,325 Ratings  ·  404 Reviews
Newbery Medal-winning author Beverly Cleary charms readers with yet another lovable character—Socks, a jealous cat who must learn to share his owners with their new baby.

Socks is one happy cat. He lives the good life with his affectionate owners, Mr. and Mrs. Bricker. Ever since the day they saved him from a life spent in a mailbox drop slot, Socks has been the center of t
Published April 14th 2015 by HarperCollins (first published 1973)

Smokinjbc
Jun 18, 2008 Smokinjbc added it
Recommends it for: every kid..with or without a tabby cat but be prepared to procure one shortly.
Shelves: booksthatrock
Ok.. some embarrassing sentimental reviewing follows. Read at your own peril.

My boss, who just got a little tabby kitten for her 6 year old, was looking for books for her to read this summer. So of course, I think immediately of Socks and the summer I was six years old and got my own tabby kitten and read "Socks" sometime immediately after that. Changed my life.. or at least sparked my reading of books. So for all you parents out there...

1. Get your kid a tabby kitten (Tabbies are the best- I'm
Kathryn
Apr 19, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats-and-dogs
A friend recommended this when I was pregnant with my first. We have a beloved calico who had been Princess of Everything to that point and I'm sure she would give Socks' story five purrrs and empathize with him wholeheartedly (though thank goodness we did not have to go to any extremes with her like they did with Socks). I actually didn't get around to reading this until after my second was born and I'm glad I waited because the story is even more poignant and humorous and heartbreaking and swe ...more
Linda
Aug 18, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMGosh. I laughed so hard. Beverly Cleary is surely a cat person, because she has totally pegged the way a cat acts and thinks. Poor Socks has a terrible time when his family brings a baby named Charles William home to live with them. His antics trying to regain their affection are adorable. Cleary's spare, understated prose lend to the appeal for kids, and although it was first released in 1973, any cat lover today will howl with laughter. If you don't enjoy this book, then you're probably a do ...more
Dolly
Jan 18, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
We haven't read as many books by Beverly Cleary together as I thought we would, but every once in awhile, I sneak one in. I think at this point, I will encourage our youngest to read them on her own, since many of them are still age-appropriate for her. She brought this book out from our bookshelves and read it for her independent reading for school and I read it after she did.

It's an entertaining story about the cat of a household and the turmoil that disturbs his happy life when a baby joins
Hilary
Apr 09, 2015 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Socks is a white-footed kitten taken in to a perfect home: he always has a lap, and is generally spoiled... until the day the baby arrives. Now his position in the household is threatened by the new pet.

It's a wonderful story about the impact of a baby from the cat's perspective - dated by a couple of passing references, but not too obviously for children - and the adaptations made. A good reminder for any new parents with pets, as well as for encouraging empathy in children!
Irene
Sep 15, 2015 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school-aged kids, first and second-time expectant parents
Shelves: children
Being as big a fan of Beverly Cleary as I am, I can't believe I hadn't read this one before. As it turns out, I think this book would be a good read not only for elementary school-aged kids, but also for first-time expectant parents, especially those with pets, and also parents who are expecting their second child (to gently remind them not to inadvertently neglect the first-born).

Socks is a cat who was adopted by a lovely couple. He had a happy life until the day the couple had their own baby.
Catherine
Jun 09, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Purrfect! I thought my 6-year-old might read this on his own, after he requested a book about a cat, but I ended up reading it to him and his 8-year-old brother. Socks reminded us of our grey tabby, Pete.
Tegan
Sep 20, 2016 Tegan rated it it was ok
It was good, but too sad.
Sarah Allen
Dec 16, 2016 Sarah Allen rated it it was amazing
This was my ME book when I was a kid. It meant everything to me.
Jeff
Do you know how sometimes you find just the right book for the moment? As a bit of serendipity, Socks written one year before I was born found its way into my families' life at just the right moment this year. My daughter is five-years-old now and a few months of ago we welcomed her brother into the family. The new addition hasn't been 100% smooth. As anyone that has lived with a five-year-old and a new born will attest they both demand a good bit of attention. Particularly when the five-year-ol ...more
Jennifer Margulis
Jun 08, 2014 Jennifer Margulis rated it liked it
This book for young readers is told from the point of view of Socks, a kitten with white feet who becomes the beloved pet of a young married couple, the Brickers. The first chapter takes place outside a grocery store where a brother and sister are trying to find homes for their "nice, fresh kittens." When a harried looking mom with too many children agrees to take Socks, the siblings hide him in the mailbox. They don't want their favorite kitten to be mistreated by too many little hands.

The Bric
Michelle Isenhoff
Apr 22, 2012 Michelle Isenhoff rated it liked it
Socks is written in true Beverly Cleary style. The cat for whom the book is named was the Bricker’s only pet, pampered, loved and a little spoiled. But his mistress’ comfortable lap began to shrink, and then one day Mr. and Mrs. Bricker brought home a new pet. One that wailed and smelled funny and stole all the attention that used to be lavished on Socks.

Written for ages six to nine (though probably independent only for the upper half), Socks will resonate with any child who’s owned a pet or bee
Susann
Jan 15, 2012 Susann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this reading, I paid much more attention to Mrs. Bricker. :)

December 7, 2011:
When my sister told me that my nephew was overcome with glee after the cat jumped into his crib, I knew I needed to track down an older edition of Socks for both of them.

Cleary writes from the cat's perspective and shows a pretty sweet life with the Brickers, until a BABY comes to stay. Baby life is a tough transition for everyone, especially Socks, but baby and kitty ticky eventually triumph together in a friends
KatieLynn
Mar 08, 2009 KatieLynn rated it it was amazing
I have read Socks so many times. I could basically give a review of this book, to where I would spill out the entire story. So right now, I will give a brief review.

The story starts out where a little girl and a boy are trying to sell their kittens. The kittens ARE selling, which makes the girl scared. She has a special kitten named Socks who she loves the most. No matter what her pleads or cries, a couple decides to adopt Socks, and nothing could stop them.

As Socks is living with the couple, h
Christina
For someone who didn't read Beverly Cleary as a child, I sure have read a lot of her stuff (with my kids) as an adult, and it always leaves me wondering, "Why didn't I read more of her books as a kid?" She's a good writer, entertaining, and very good at capturing the essence of a situation or character. In Socks, she does a wonderful job of giving us the perspective of a cat and, towards the end, a baby. I don't even like cats or babies very much (sadly, it's true . . . don't hate me :), but I r ...more
Bekah
This was far too cute and funny for anything less than 5 Stars! Socks is an awesome little cat who reminds me so much of my own furball, Merlin. I am so glad I picked this up as part of Lesley's #ReadKidsLit project. Makes me want to dig out all my other Cleary books and take a stroll down memory lane.
Melody
Oct 09, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heard
It's not only third-graders whose heads Beverly Cleary can get into. She also channels cats. Socks is totally believable and adorable in every particular. He's bewildered by the appearance of a new baby in his family, and how he copes with the changes which ensue is both comical and poignant. The babysitter is priceless! I want to grow up and be the babysitter.
Keara Brown
Oct 28, 2016 Keara Brown rated it really liked it
This book is about a cat who gets adopted by a nice couple. Later in the book the cats owners have a child and the cat starts to feel left out. (The cats name is Socks).

I would not recommend this book to my friends only because this book is more of younger child book. But I would recommend this book to younger children.
Jessica
Aug 26, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite from my childhood
Danielle Wood
Mar 31, 2011 Danielle Wood rated it liked it
This was cute :) Can't wait until Jack is old enough to enjoy books like this!
Katie
Fun read with Mara.
Anastasia Musser
Aug 31, 2015 Anastasia Musser rated it really liked it
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. I read it again and still love it.
Mercedes Jennings
Apr 25, 2016 Mercedes Jennings marked it as to-read
Its a good book for kids ages 2-10
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This book made me bawl my eyes out as a child. Loved it.
Sarah Grace
Sep 13, 2016 Sarah Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is the first chapter book I ever read. I remember my 6 year old self adoring it! Great for young readers.
Neda
May 31, 2017 Neda rated it it was amazing
The book that I read and really enjoyed was called, "Socks," by Beverly Cleary. "Socks," is the story of a young cat who has been put up for adoption by his previous owner. He gets adopted by nice owners and lives a happy life with them, until, one day his owners bring home a baby. In this wonderful and humorous story, Socks attempts to find a way to get back into his owner's hearts again. I really liked this story because, first of all, I really like cats. Also, because of the way that the aut ...more
Lesa
Jun 23, 2017 Lesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughters and I listened to this while working on a big project today: switching out their summer/winter clothes and deep cleaning the closet. It made the work more enjoyable. We loved this story of a kitty who has trouble adjusting to life with a new baby in the house. We definitely lol-ed a couple of times. Got this on Hoopla; not sure why it says abridged. I checked and it isn't.
May 11, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: laura
Boy does Beverly Cleary know cats. And babies. And parents. And mothers-in-law. :)

I didn't realize it, but she is still alive and turned 100 last March. What a wonderful addition to humanity she is. Ramona, Henry Huggins, The Mouse on the Motorcycle, and so on - Thank you, Ms. Clearly for populating my childhood with characters I could relate to!
Sam Wirgau
Jun 11, 2017 Sam Wirgau rated it it was amazing
From Emma and Sarena W - This book is about a kitty which is my favorite animal. I really like how it told the story of how the cat felt and got into the world of all the characters. Socks could be a five star chef.
Kest Schwartzman
Jun 24, 2017 Kest Schwartzman rated it really liked it
moral: never listen to your mother-in-law.
alternative moral: mother-in-laws are ok, but cats are better
third possible moral: mother-in-laws are fine. Babies, on the other hand...

Pretty sure the actual moral is: cats are better than babies.
Goodreads Librari...: Combining Editions - Socks by Beverly Cleary 2 159 Nov 26, 2013 10:54AM
  • The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky (New York Review Children's Collection)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • A Dog Called Kitty
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • I, Houdini
  • Puppy Sister
  • The Giants and the Joneses
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

“They wiped his paws on a good bath towel whenever he came in with wet feet, because they had not been married long enough to have an old bath towel,” 1 likes
“Old” 0 likes