All The Hopeful Lovers

All The Hopeful Lovers

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Belinda wistfully reflects how much better at sex she is now than when she was in her twenties. She's thought about taking a lover, but ultimately could never do that to her husband Tom. So imagine her despair when she discovers he's having an affair...

And what about Tom, and his lover Meg? It's not easy for them either. Alongside this knot of middle-aged lovers is a tang...more
Published September 2nd 2010 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about All The Hopeful Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All The Hopeful Lovers

Engemi
I am a William Nicholson groupie. He surprises you on every page with deep insight, just ever so lightly offered, and twist and turns which keep you thinking on the everyday small details, which after al makes up the total thread of our lives.
This novel is of course about love (isn't that what life is about?) but most issues around love, i.e. sex, desire, giving in to desire, not giving in, humbleness. arrogance, shyness, forwardness, etc, amongst the young and older characters with whom Nichols...more
Hattie
I liked this book more than The Secret Intensity Of Everyday Life, though I'm almost annoyed that I do. This book is more problematic than the last one - there is too much "men want sex and women want relationships" in it which is never properly dealt with. Like, I don't argue that in general it's true, but there are two problems with that argument: 1) only in general, with about a million exceptions, whereas this book presents it as almost entirely black and white, and 2) that's all down to con...more
Natalia
Under the name "I Could Love You". It seems like they're the same book. I loved it.
Hollie
Sep 04, 2011 Hollie added it
This was a really good book, my only criticism is that the way it is written meant that sometimes I got confused about the characters. Some of the characters got a chapter or two at a time devoted entirely to them and then it would move on to someone else, but with the amount of people in the book sometimes I had read about 3 or 4 chapters and then it would go back to person number 1 and I couldn't remember who they were. All the characters are connected by the end of the book which was really n...more
Harold Bloom Jr
ALL THE HOPEFUL LOVERS takes place in 2008, eight years after we encountered the unforgettable middle class world of Sussex in England. And once again, this is a gripping novel for the reader in me who loves exploring the inner lives of other people in ordinary circumstances. The major themes have changed. This time, it is about desire of every kind that all lead to love.

In many ways, this series of novels by William Nicholson reads like a literary, middle England version of a Paul Thomas Ander...more
Kate
Brilliant!! Ignore the first chapter because it´s rubbish but the rest is superb (that is if you like books about ordinary people and their lives in relation to each other). It became especially cool when I realised there were characters that featured in one of his other books The Secret Intensity of Everyday life .

The reflections of peoples inner thoughts are really good. Examples of this are Tom the plastic surgeon thinking about his patients and how he views them.

The reason it gets five stars...more
Manal
I loved all the characters..felt empathy towards them...Nicholson made me sympathize with their actions..thoughts...feelings..he even made betrayal sound acceptable..
Lesley
Jul 10, 2014 Lesley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Andrew Sparke
Good Nicholson. Way better than most writers exploring relationships and real life
Claire
So many characters meant that at times I got quite confused but overall an enjoyable read.
Shobha
If I weren't running away from something I don't want to think about, there is no way I'd have read as much of this book as I did. Way too many people and till chapter 11 at least no character has come up again. Can't keep track of all these ppl and their sex lives or non-existent sex lives.

Okay so it gets calmer and a little less fluffy after chapter 11. So it's upped to a 3.
Jay
It wasn't the best read in the world but I enjoyed it. Looks at several views of love and it's various types. Some moments were good, others cringe worthy (more because of the situations the characters were in than the writing). I loved the use of NORWICH: Knickers off ready when I Come Home. That made me laugh!
Smangele Belebesi
socially spot on....
Ros Earl
I don't read loads, but this one kept me going and I wanted to get to the end. It was about women's stories interwoven with each other. I couldn't empathise with anyone and didn't really get emotionally involved with their stories but definitely an enjoyable lightweight book.
Naomi
Belinda finds out her husband is having an affair. In the days the book is set it looks at her life and the life of those around her.

This book was quite good and interesting but I found I could only read a few chapters at a time because otherwise I got bored with it.
Maggie Donaldson
Well, just as good as the first one in the trilogy, 'The Intensity of Everyday Life'. I just love Nicholson and am seriously having to ration my reading so I don't run out. This was a sad and bitter-sweet novel, I felt, and very moving in parts.
Helen
I decided to read this book for the lone reason that it is me on the cover! It is very wishy-washy, not really my cup of tea at all. But if you like light fiction with lots of characters and complex relationships, then definitely give it a try.
Victoria Shepherd
It's rare that a title so perfectly encapsulates the entirety of a book, but that is exactly what this book does. Deftly switching from story to story, the beautifully intertwined narratives leave you feeling...hopeful (and richly satisfied).
Bronwyn
Again I loved this book and have been saving it since Christmas as a treat. I was not disappointed, in fact I read it in one day - his books are just wonderful and he just gets people (male, female, young and not so young).
Pat
Really enjoyed this,even more than book 1, following the lives of some of the characters in the previous book and meeting new ones.
Tracey
I loved this greet story so much better then the ones I've read by the writer and it was just so interesting.
Claire Bailey
Really wishy washy. Too much going on with too many people. I lost interest more than once.
Kat Colorado
I didn't really get warm with the people in this book. They didn't seem likeable at all.
Kirsty Brown
Loved this. All about desire, and what it means for life and love.
Sarah Harkness
Read it just as fast as the first of the trilogy
Jeanette

Cannot recommend this highly enough !!!
Isaw
did not want it to end,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1...more
More about William Nicholson...
The Wind Singer (Wind on Fire, #1) Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2) Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3) Seeker (Noble Warriors Trilogy, #1) The Wind on Fire Trilogy: The Wind Singer/Slaves of the Mastery/Firesong