Start by marking “All The Hopeful Lovers” as Want to Read:
All The Hopeful Lovers

All The Hopeful Lovers

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Belinda wistfully reflects how much better at sex she is now than when she was in her twenties. She's thought about taking a lover, but ultimately could never do that to her husband Tom. So imagine her despair when she discovers he's having an affair...

And what about Tom, and his lover Meg? It's not easy for them either. Alongside this knot of middle-aged lovers is a tang
Published September 2nd 2010 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about All The Hopeful Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All The Hopeful Lovers

Engemi
Nov 09, 2014 Engemi rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Engemi by: I searched for a 'new' Nicholson novel
I am a William Nicholson groupie. He surprises you on every page with deep insight, just ever so lightly offered, and twist and turns which keep you thinking on the everyday small details, which after al makes up the total thread of our lives.
This novel is of course about love (isn't that what life is about?) but most issues around love, i.e. sex, desire, giving in to desire, not giving in, humbleness. arrogance, shyness, forwardness, etc, amongst the young and older characters with whom Nichols
Hattie
Aug 24, 2012 Hattie rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I liked this book more than The Secret Intensity Of Everyday Life, though I'm almost annoyed that I do. This book is more problematic than the last one - there is too much "men want sex and women want relationships" in it which is never properly dealt with. Like, I don't argue that in general it's true, but there are two problems with that argument: 1) only in general, with about a million exceptions, whereas this book presents it as almost entirely black and white, and 2) that's all down to con ...more
Harold Bloom Jr
Jan 15, 2012 Harold Bloom Jr rated it it was amazing
ALL THE HOPEFUL LOVERS takes place in 2008, eight years after we encountered the unforgettable middle class world of Sussex in England. And once again, this is a gripping novel for the reader in me who loves exploring the inner lives of other people in ordinary circumstances. The major themes have changed. This time, it is about desire of every kind that all lead to love.

In many ways, this series of novels by William Nicholson reads like a literary, middle England version of a Paul Thomas Ander
Natalia
Dec 11, 2013 Natalia rated it it was amazing
Under the name "I Could Love You". It seems like they're the same book. I loved it.
Hollie
Sep 04, 2011 Hollie added it
This was a really good book, my only criticism is that the way it is written meant that sometimes I got confused about the characters. Some of the characters got a chapter or two at a time devoted entirely to them and then it would move on to someone else, but with the amount of people in the book sometimes I had read about 3 or 4 chapters and then it would go back to person number 1 and I couldn't remember who they were. All the characters are connected by the end of the book which was really n ...more
Kate
Sep 02, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!! Ignore the first chapter because its rubbish but the rest is superb (that is if you like books about ordinary people and their lives in relation to each other). It became especially cool when I realised there were characters that featured in one of his other books The Secret Intensity of Everyday life .

The reflections of peoples inner thoughts are really good. Examples of this are Tom the plastic surgeon thinking about his patients and how he views them.

The reason it gets five stars
Pat Stearman
Nov 03, 2015 Pat Stearman rated it really liked it
The children from Secret Intensity are now at Uni, Alice's mum has married her teacher and they have a 6 year old son.... I enjoyed following another few days in the lives of these characters. Just have to read Golden Hour now....
Manal
Mar 11, 2014 Manal rated it it was amazing
I loved all the characters..felt empathy towards them...Nicholson made me sympathize with their actions..thoughts...feelings..he even made betrayal sound acceptable..
Lesley
Jul 10, 2014 Lesley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Laura Sykes
Feb 26, 2015 Laura Sykes rated it it was amazing
Great, characters you want to slap, hug, kiss, scream at. All hopeful, some of them successful well worth it
Andrew Sparke
Mar 08, 2014 Andrew Sparke rated it really liked it
Good Nicholson. Way better than most writers exploring relationships and real life
Claire
May 30, 2014 Claire rated it liked it
So many characters meant that at times I got quite confused but overall an enjoyable read.
Shobha
Feb 22, 2013 Shobha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I weren't running away from something I don't want to think about, there is no way I'd have read as much of this book as I did. Way too many people and till chapter 11 at least no character has come up again. Can't keep track of all these ppl and their sex lives or non-existent sex lives.

Okay so it gets calmer and a little less fluffy after chapter 11. So it's upped to a 3.
Roenel
May 27, 2015 Roenel rated it liked it
Entertaining with some thought-provoking insights into love... Much more than what the cover promises!
Jay
It wasn't the best read in the world but I enjoyed it. Looks at several views of love and it's various types. Some moments were good, others cringe worthy (more because of the situations the characters were in than the writing). I loved the use of NORWICH: Knickers off ready when I Come Home. That made me laugh!
Smangele Belebesi
Jan 27, 2014 Smangele Belebesi rated it liked it
socially spot on....
Ros Earl
I don't read loads, but this one kept me going and I wanted to get to the end. It was about women's stories interwoven with each other. I couldn't empathise with anyone and didn't really get emotionally involved with their stories but definitely an enjoyable lightweight book.
Naomi
Jan 29, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
Belinda finds out her husband is having an affair. In the days the book is set it looks at her life and the life of those around her.

This book was quite good and interesting but I found I could only read a few chapters at a time because otherwise I got bored with it.
Maggie Donaldson
Oct 18, 2012 Maggie Donaldson rated it it was amazing
Well, just as good as the first one in the trilogy, 'The Intensity of Everyday Life'. I just love Nicholson and am seriously having to ration my reading so I don't run out. This was a sad and bitter-sweet novel, I felt, and very moving in parts.
Helen
Dec 30, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book for the lone reason that it is me on the cover! It is very wishy-washy, not really my cup of tea at all. But if you like light fiction with lots of characters and complex relationships, then definitely give it a try.
Victoria Shepherd
Sep 23, 2012 Victoria Shepherd rated it really liked it
It's rare that a title so perfectly encapsulates the entirety of a book, but that is exactly what this book does. Deftly switching from story to story, the beautifully intertwined narratives leave you feeling...hopeful (and richly satisfied).
Bronwyn
Aug 13, 2011 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Again I loved this book and have been saving it since Christmas as a treat. I was not disappointed, in fact I read it in one day - his books are just wonderful and he just gets people (male, female, young and not so young).
Terry Mark
Jul 29, 2015 Terry Mark rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as much as "The Secret Intensity Of Everyday Life" if not better.I look forward to the third book in this trilogy "The Golden Hour".
Pat
Jun 26, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this,even more than book 1, following the lives of some of the characters in the previous book and meeting new ones.
Tracey
Oct 21, 2013 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica
I loved this greet story so much better then the ones I've read by the writer and it was just so interesting.
Claire Bailey
Jul 01, 2011 Claire Bailey rated it liked it
Really wishy washy. Too much going on with too many people. I lost interest more than once.
Kat Colorado
Apr 03, 2011 Kat Colorado rated it it was ok
Shelves: english, 2011
I didn't really get warm with the people in this book. They didn't seem likeable at all.
Kirsty Brown
Jul 06, 2012 Kirsty Brown rated it really liked it
Loved this. All about desire, and what it means for life and love.
Sarah Harkness
Jan 16, 2012 Sarah Harkness rated it really liked it
Read it just as fast as the first of the trilogy
Jeanette
Aug 19, 2012 Jeanette rated it it was amazing

Cannot recommend this highly enough !!!
  • The Actual Real Reality of Jennifer James
  • The Silence (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #4)
  • Consider the Lily
  • Zali Luna: Movie Star
  • If it Die...
  • Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
  • Adore
  • It's the Little Things
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Flirty Dancing (The Ladybirds, #1)
  • Famous Last Words
  • Casting Off
  • Indoctrinaire
  • House of Decadence
  • Rosetta
  • Cerulean Isle
  • Gok Cooks Chinese
  • The Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Hamish MacBeth #1-#4)

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1
More about William Nicholson...