Start by marking “Lovers and Newcomers” as Want to Read:
Lovers and Newcomers

Lovers and Newcomers

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  35 reviews
From the bestselling author of Iris and Ruby comes a novel in which a group of old friends reunite to start a new stage of their lives. Miranda Meadowe decides a lonely widowhood in her crumbling country house is not for her. Reviving a university dream, she invites five of her oldest friends to come and join her to live, and to stave off the prospect of old age. All have ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Harper (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lovers and Newcomers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovers and Newcomers

Rebecca
I've loved Rosie Thomas before but I could simply not see the point of this book. The writing is OK, but the characters were just not there for me and neither was the story. I found it hard to finish. I persevered, hoping that it would get better, but quite frankly, I don't know why I bothered. I am deeply disappointed about this book as I expected it to be so much better
Meg
This book was easy and quick to read but I didn't get much out of it. The blurb sells it as 6 friends who were wild in the 60s reunite in their 60s - sounds interesting, but that isn't really what this book was about. The worst thing was the characters - I still don't actually know who the '6' were and I was very confused about who was who. They were all very interchangable and inadequately characterised - I couldn't keep track of who was who and there were several characters who seemed to have ...more
Sue
Very enjoyable story about relationships from the past and how time does, or does not, affect them. Widowed Miranda decides to offer her dear old friends a share in her extensive country house, for companionship and so she can afford some essential repairs to her home. The village is unsure of how to take these newcomers but inevitably events provoke changes as past and presentcollide, not least when an important archeological find halts the building of one of the new homes. It is never too late ...more
Pauline
Lovers and Newcomers is not my usual kind of book but it did prove to be entertaining and I manged to finish it without too much effort.

After reading the blurb I assumed this group of friends would be in their twenties or thirties but boy was I wrong! Turns out they're in their late fifties, early sixties which I think is what put me off from the beginning as it wasn't what I was expecting. On the other hand, Thomas wrote beautifully and the feelings, emotions and personalities of each characte
Leanne Hunt
This is a novel about friendship and ageing. It takes place over the course of about nine months, from the time six friends, all in their late fifties, move into an English country house to the start of the following summer. As the seasons change, so the circumstances of the characters alter, and as each one faces his or her own long-term issues, the group as a whole is affected. The book is beautifully written, taking note of the particular features of advanced age and infancy. Themes such as m ...more
Lorrie
Jul 13, 2012 Lorrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lorrie by: Patsy
Shelves: contemporary
Book was good! I read it really fast. It just wasn't epic. It was a fairly big story with so much going on. Miranda (Barb), Selwyn & Polly, Amos & Katherine, Jessie & Rafferty, Chris the archaeologist, and the magnificent, decaying Mead mansion.

All characters were so flawed and these flaws were so very visible right from the start that I had trouble falling in love with/or really liking for that matter any of them. I did see bits of me in each of them but found most of them to be so
Ann
I really enjoyed "Iris & Ruby" so having "Lovers & Newcomers" on hand, I eagerly read on...Was it too much Rosie Thomas at one go or was it a book that just didn't reach the same level of interest? In any event, I found this book very slow going....in fact, I skipped several pages just to finish the book.
I know the author was trying to capture, old friends, new friends, change, but the story dragged and in the end I found I really didn't care about the characters.
Frances
This book was a bit sad and rather depressing. It focused on a group of friends who were nearing their sixties, trying to re-establish the bonds of their student days. As their children had flown the nest, relationships fell apart and human failings became evident. I found the younger characters much more interesting and intelligent than their older counterparts and didn't really buy into the concept of Mead as a retirement haven.
Kathleen Freeman
I am a fan of Rosie Thomas' books - this one was just okay for me. The thing I really liked about this book was that the main characters were older not twenty-somethings and they had been friends for 40 years, definitely food for thought in this book.
Nina Levison
A great story which really explores the dynamics of friendship. The three central women characters are very different and totally believable. Nice to read a story with strong older women in it, although the younger characters are interesting too. I loved the historical elements of the story and felt the whole story was well thought out. A good read.
Jo Barton
This is an absolute gem from one of my favourite authors. A richly woven tapestry bringing together the best and the worst in people. It just shows how quickly lives can change and unravel. Quirky characters, each with their faults and flaws, but with an underlying understanding that bonds them together.Some of the characters are not always likeable, but their shared experiences seem all too realistic. If there is any criticism, it's that the first 80 pages were a bit slow, but once the tribal q ...more
Toni
Lovely read. On the same level as Maeve Binchy....with a little more passion and less twee. I'll be reading this author again .
Bowerbird
Anyone who enjoys Rosie Thomas will love this one. As a change from previous books it is set in the UK. A group of old friends accept an invitation to live in the country together in an old house belonging to their mutual friend, now a widow: Miranda. The idyll that they imagine the future will be however, begins to disintegrate as old memories are stirred. As an old burial site is discovered on the land it becomes obvious that past and future are linked.
Kim
Miranda Meadowe decides being a lonely widow in her crumbling country house is not for her. She decides to try and turn back the clock to the days of university and invites five of her oldest friends to come and join her to live, and to ward off the prospect of old age. All have their own reasons for accepting, but life changes.

This is a story of loves lost, new hope and one with some drama. Quick read and one I would recommend.
Susan
I enjoyed this . Once again an easy gentle read more about the characters than the story although that is very relevant. I might have found it more appealing being the age of the characters with similar aged offspring. It is a time of big change when you retire and families split and move apart and grow and this is all part of life's rich tapestry which is what the novel portrays.
Susie
I have had this book on my shelf for ages and have to admit i have put off reading it, i thought it would be a lot of middle aged drivel! DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!! This is a lovely story with interesting characters which subtly grow on you so that by the end you find yourself really caring what happens to them, i will admit i shed a tear or two.
Lara
A critic on the front of this book says that Rosie Thomas is one of the best storytellers around, a view I wholeheartedly agree with. A gentle paced story of friendship, love, betrayal and new beginnings. For me it flowed well, maybe a tad slow in places, but on the whole, an enjoyable story.
Penny
This is a 3 to a 3.5 read. I have read many Rosie Thomas and on the whole enjoyed this one. It is a gentle read about retired people who all come to live together on a farm to reduce costs and old tensions surface. It's a light read, good for the beach or light relief.
Nicky
I found the writing of this book more scrappy than her Kashmir shawl, but enjoyed the picture she paints of a group of middle aged friends attempt at a new way of doing " post kids" life. Evocative descriptions of English rural life as I remember it as a child.
Julie (73)
This was an enjoyable read but I felt that it was not up to the usual high standard that I expect from Rosie Thomas books. The story took some time to get started too and that the first 100 pages were mostly unnecessary. I enjoyed this but nothing special.
Mary

Having read the reviews and lots of Rosie Thomas books I was looking forward to this but was disappointed .
The story was not really what the reviews led me to expect and it was all a bit flat
Bambola
Really really enjoyed this book. Lots happening and I loved the archaeology side plot. I like the way this author uses interesting words but not in a showy-offy way.
Brigitte Platt
Not a book I would normally choose but I borrowed from the thompson library in Crete, it was an OK read and has given me some ideas for my own writing!
Elaine Rickett
An evocatively told story of friendship, families and relationships, sharpened by the arrival of the outside world into their idyllic retreat.
LindyLouMac
Feb 24, 2012 LindyLouMac marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the title I added to bookcrossing today, not the one Goodreads listed!
Krissy
Recommended by local book store as a good summer read. Nice and light and am enjoying it.
Lesley
Not bad but not as good as the last two books by this author that I read
Ann
Uninteresting cliched characters. Not one of her better books.
Julia
not the best i have read by her but an enjoyable read
  • Friends, Lovers and Other Indiscretions
  • Just the Three of Us
  • Symphony
  • The Secret Purposes
204538
Janey King, née Morris was born on 1947 in Denbigh, Wales, and also grew up in North Wales. She read English at Oxford, and after a spell in journalism and publishing began writing fiction after the birth of her first child. Published since 1982 as Rosie Thomas, she has written fourteen best-selling novels, deal with the common themes of love and loss. She is one of only a few authors to have won ...more
More about Rosie Thomas...
The Kashmir Shawl Iris And Ruby Sun at Midnight Constance The Potter's House