Start by marking “Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary” as Want to Read:
Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary

Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary

First time in book form! A successful program for teaching 3,500 vocabulary words that successful people need to know, based on America's #1 bestselling audio vocabulary series.

"People judge you by the words you use." Millions of Americans know this phrase from radio and print advertising for the Verbal Advantage audio series, which has sold over 100,000 copies. Now this b
Paperback, Large Print, 496 pages
Published September 26th 2000 by Random House Reference

Ari
May 08, 2009 Ari rated it it was amazing
I own the paper version, the Kindle Version, and the entire audio set. Yes, I know that’s insane, but I put myself on a mission. Just as I build my body, I have challenged myself to build my vocabulary. Who knows where an increased vocabulary will take me, but I’m up to it! I’m actually excited about it. As Mr. Harrington Elster clearly put it, the importance of "read, repetition, review" will follow me along my journey. I seriously can’t be the same person. I’m sure how I read, write, think, an ...more
Nick Arkesteyn
Nov 02, 2009 Nick Arkesteyn rated it it was amazing
One of the Best books that I have ever read. It took me 3 years to go through the whole thing.
Lauren
Mar 31, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
Let's be clear-this is a pretentious book. All books about language guidance, rules and advice are. I did not expect this to be an unpretentious book for the simple reason that they don't exist.

I read this book in a day, which is NOT advised. The only reason it worked for me (I think) was because most of the words were not new to me-as much as the author claimed we were "climbing a mountain" in our vocabulary. This book really helped solidify some murky words for me, that I know when I read the
Two Three Five
Feb 12, 2011 Two Three Five marked it as to-read
What score did you get in the pre-test? I got the lowest category: below 25. I would be impressed if anyone got any higher.

The words in the pre-test are so obscure; you won't find the words in most books!

Perhaps I'm getting a bit angry for no reason, but I think the simpler the words used, the better. Adding "difficult" words in your daily usage and writing don't necessarily impress people. In fact it's quite annoying and distracting.

That said, I will still go through the book and pick the words
Aaron Jordan
Sep 24, 2011 Aaron Jordan rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. I did not always agree with Elster's opinions on words, especially their pronunciations and the subtle nuances of how to use them, but he taught me so much and showed me that I have been mispronouncing and misunderstanding some words for years without even realizing it. I loved this book and will read it again. It has to be among the best vocabulary builders out there.

Now if only I could remember all those words I read about . . .
Crystal
Feb 17, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Not really wanting to READ vocabulary. I like gaining it through context.
Jingyan
Aug 03, 2015 Jingyan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book so much. The author nailed at letting us know how to distinguish between close synonyms and use different words properly according to the contexts. For me, it would be so great if I can look up every word that I'm unfamiliar with in a book (though it would be extremely thick) like this one.
Tylor Lovins
Nov 22, 2011 Tylor Lovins rated it it was amazing
Elster has a useful way for learning vocabulary: the vocabulary increases in complexity as one progresses and there are tests at the end of each chapter. He also has excerpts about the etymology of the word. I'd recommend this to anyone.
Kevin
Nov 07, 2010 Kevin rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ for everyone. Everyone can benefit from an advanced vocabulary. I re-read this book at least twice a year.
Ella Harkins
Feb 24, 2015 Ella Harkins rated it it was amazing
I love words so I really loved this book. I wish he had mphasized word history a little more, but that is a minor quibble.
Congthuan
Oct 08, 2008 Congthuan rated it it was amazing
I want to learn vocabulary from this book . Furthermore I think
I can learn skill of reading from this book .
Nathan
Sep 03, 2008 Nathan rated it it was amazing
A great book for increasing your vocabulary. If you have kids that haven't taken the ACT this will increase their verbal skill
Lorraine Cipriano
Oct 23, 2010 Lorraine Cipriano rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent way to learn the meaning and pronunciation of words that well spoken people use.
Tenley
Feb 19, 2008 Tenley rated it it was amazing
This book is a must have. I read at least a page everyday, and I will continue to reread this book. It's a great way to expand your vocabulary and learn proper pronunciation and usage of words.
Yaser Teymurzade
Mar 30, 2015 Yaser Teymurzade rated it it was amazing
Verbal Advantage is an extraordinary book. Enthusiasm of the writer, Charles, to words, their roots, their meaning inspired me immensely. You should read it.
Yang Xilong
Yang Xilong rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Sharzil
Oct 18, 2009 Sharzil rated it liked it
very good book, recommend it highly to all adults.
Priyanka
Priyanka rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Golshan Shakeebaee
Golshan Shakeebaee rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
赤道的企鹅
赤道的企鹅 rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Pushpank
Pushpank rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Irina
Irina rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Zoehsu
Zoehsu rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Aaron Li
Aaron Li rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Resa Nasution
Resa Nasution rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Ashwin Patel
Ashwin Patel rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Emrah Şahin
Emrah Şahin rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Chris Galvin
Chris Galvin rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
David2smith
Oct 11, 2015 David2smith rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book about learning words!
Weichao Qiu
Weichao Qiu rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
  • How to Build a Better Vocabulary
  • 1100 Words You Need to Know
  • The Ancient Engineers
  • Grammar for IELTS
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should be Able to Use (And a few that you probably shouldn't)
  • المعتقدات الدينية لدى الشعوب
  • Writing Dialogue
  • Hare Brain, Tortoise Mind: How Intelligence Increases When You Think Less
  • 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
  • How to Read a Poem
  • English Phrasal Verbs in Use Advanced (In Use Series)
  • Advanced Grammar in Use: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Advanced Learners of English
  • Essential Introductory Linguistics
  • TOEFL iBT. Internet-Based Test 2006-2007 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Toefl Test of English As a Foreign Language (Book Only))
  • Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder
Charles Harrington Elster is a writer, broadcaster, and logophile—a lover of words.

He is the author and narrator of the audio vocabulary-building program Verbal Advantage and the book by the same name. His other books include Tooth and Nail and Test of Time, vocabulary-building novels for high school students preparing to take the college entrance exams; There's a Word for It, a lighthearted look
More about Charles Harrington Elster...