Start by marking “Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary” as Want to Read:
Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary

Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  20 reviews
First time in book form! A successful program for teaching 3,500 vocabulary words that successful people need to know, based on America's #1 bestselling audio vocabulary series.

"People judge you by the words you use." Millions of Americans know this phrase from radio and print advertising for the Verbal Advantage audio series, which has sold over 100,000 copies. Now this b
Paperback, Large Print, 496 pages
Published September 26th 2000 by Random House Reference

To ask other readers questions about Verbal Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Verbal Advantage

I own the paper version, the Kindle Version, and the entire audio set. Yes, I know that’s insane, but I put myself on a mission. Just as I build my body, I have challenged myself to build my vocabulary. Who knows where an increased vocabulary will take me, but I’m up to it! I’m actually excited about it. As Mr. Harrington Elster clearly put it, the importance of "read, repetition, review" will follow me along my journey. I seriously can’t be the same person. I’m sure how I read, write, think, an ...more
Nick Arkesteyn
One of the Best books that I have ever read. It took me 3 years to go through the whole thing.
Aaron Jordan
This book is awesome. I did not always agree with Elster's opinions on words, especially their pronunciations and the subtle nuances of how to use them, but he taught me so much and showed me that I have been mispronouncing and misunderstanding some words for years without even realizing it. I loved this book and will read it again. It has to be among the best vocabulary builders out there.

Now if only I could remember all those words I read about . . .
I enjoyed reading this book so much. The author nailed at letting us know how to distinguish between close synonyms and use different words properly according to the contexts. For me, it would be so great if I can look up every word that I'm unfamiliar with in a book (though it would be extremely thick) like this one.
Ella Harkins
I love words so I really loved this book. I wish he had mphasized word history a little more, but that is a minor quibble.
Feb 12, 2011 PlatoR marked it as to-read
Shelves: read-during-uni
What score did you get in the pre-test? I got the lowest category: below 25. I would be impressed if anyone got any higher.

The words in the pre-test are so obscure; you won't find the words in most books!

Perhaps I'm getting a bit angry for no reason, but I think the simpler the words used, the better. Adding "difficult" words in your daily usage and writing don't necessarily impress people. In fact it's quite annoying and distracting.

That said, I will still go through the book and pick the words
Tylor Lovins
Elster has a useful way for learning vocabulary: the vocabulary increases in complexity as one progresses and there are tests at the end of each chapter. He also has excerpts about the etymology of the word. I'd recommend this to anyone.
Amy Kilcullen
This book is enjoyable. I pick a word every so often, and try to use it all day. I reviewed several books before choosing this one. The words and layout seemed to be the easiest to integrate into my day vocabulary.
This book is a must have. I read at least a page everyday, and I will continue to reread this book. It's a great way to expand your vocabulary and learn proper pronunciation and usage of words.
Yaser Teymurzade
Verbal Advantage is an extraordinary book. Enthusiasm of the writer, Charles, to words, their roots, their meaning inspired me immensely. You should read it.
A great book for increasing your vocabulary. If you have kids that haven't taken the ACT this will increase their verbal skill
I want to learn vocabulary from this book . Furthermore I think
I can learn skill of reading from this book .
A MUST READ for everyone. Everyone can benefit from an advanced vocabulary. I re-read this book at least twice a year.
Lorraine Cipriano
This book is an excellent way to learn the meaning and pronunciation of words that well spoken people use.
Lena1224 Xing
The best vocabulary book I have ever read. Very useful for GRE test and enriching our vocabulary
Not really wanting to READ vocabulary. I like gaining it through context.
Michael Goldsmith
Should read, over and over and over and over... Only way to master.
very good book, recommend it highly to all adults.
Nick Cooper
This book wuz good. Really really rly good.
A brilliant book about learning words!
Ali Shah
Ali Shah marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Joshua marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Chandu Rocz
Chandu Rocz marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Libaihe Qi
Libaihe Qi marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Roodabe is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2015
Wasim marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Pankaj marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Ali Ahmed
Ali Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
  • Doctor Criminale
  • The Oxford Dictionary Of Current English
  • Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder
  • The Ancient Engineers
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should Be Able to Use (and a Few That You Probably Shouldn't)
  • 1100 Words You Need to Know
  • المعتقدات الدينية لدى الشعوب
  • 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
  • Hare Brain, Tortoise Mind: How Intelligence Increases When You Think Less
  • Writing Dialogue
  • Advanced Grammar in Use: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Advanced Learners of English
  • How to Read a Poem
  • Social Linguistics And Literacies: Ideology in Discourses (Critical Perspectives on Literacy and Education)
  • Essential Introductory Linguistics
  • Patterns In The Mind: Language And Human Nature
  • Grammar for IELTS
  • Impressionists
  • English Idioms and How to Use Them
Charles Harrington Elster is a writer, broadcaster, and logophile—a lover of words.

He is the author and narrator of the audio vocabulary-building program Verbal Advantage and the book by the same name. His other books include Tooth and Nail and Test of Time, vocabulary-building novels for high school students preparing to take the college entrance exams; There's a Word for It, a lighthearted look
More about Charles Harrington Elster...
Tooth and Nail: A Novel Approach to the SAT The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide for the Careful Speaker What in the Word? Wordplay, Word Lore, and Answers to Your Peskiest Questions about Language There's a Word for It!  A Grandiloquent Guide to Life The Accidents of Style: Good Advice on How Not to Write Badly