Start by marking “Writing Analytically: With Readings” as Want to Read:
Writing Analytically: With Readings

Writing Analytically: With Readings

WRITING ANALYTICALLY WITH READINGS is two books in one, a guide to writing paired with a reader that teaches you how to have ideas and develop them in an academic setting and beyond. The writing guide offers a book-length treatment of analysis, a form of thinking and writing required in virtually all college courses. The writing guide is accompanied by a thematically arran ...more
Published June 20th 2011 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published September 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Analytically, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Analytically

Patrick Faller
May 23, 2012 Patrick Faller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many engaging writing tools in this book, and so many tools that are less formulaic and more generative than those found in TS/IS, that I plan to continue teaching this text as long as I continue to teach. (And I plan to continue teaching as long as KSU, or any university, continues offering me classes.) I've found several of the tools useful in my own writing; I have not found a better explication of what it means to paraphrase, nor have I encountered a more useful adaptation of fo ...more
Annisa
Nov 12, 2008 Annisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book if you wanna learn elementary academic writing... I learned a lot from this book
Jenny
Jul 18, 2007 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New or intermediate analytical writers
I haven't quite finished this book yet, but it has some valuable information in it. Like many of my fellows, I tested out of the intro-level writing classes, and this is probably one of the more unfortunate things that can happen to us, as many of us then only pick up by bits and pieces some of the elements that make good analytical writing and good rhetoric. While the tone is friendly and encouraging, the prose is nevertheless fairly dense and fairly dry, which makes for slow reading. Still, I ...more
Tami
Jul 27, 2014 Tami rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd had this book at the beginning of my academic career.
Kawa Svaha
Dec 30, 2013 Kawa Svaha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me so long to finish. At first glance, the organisation of this textbook seems loose: the reader may not know how to apply the various techniques introduced in the first half of the book. However, the analysis of the sample papers makes everything clear and illuminating.
Amy
Feb 24, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
For Argumentation, Reasoning, and Writing. After reviewing (skimming through) several texts, this looks like it might actually be a text that approximates many of the approaches and emphases I've developed over the years. Let's hope.

I hate ordering books for classes. I have such commitment issues.
Kerry
Sep 26, 2007 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book beneficial. Much of it seemed obvious and I skipped over many of the exercises but it got me thinking more directly about how to read and write. A good refresher for anyone.
Amy
Oct 05, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Trying to decide whether the readings justify the price for students--and the work it'll save me on photocopying, checking copyrights, and uploading pdfs....
Bradley Farless
Dec 06, 2011 Bradley Farless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
The instruction in this book is very clear and easy to understand, with plenty of examples. It's a great book to keep on hand for future reference.
More useful for instructors than for students. A good number of in-class activities to consider, and writing assignments to give to students.
Jessica
Jul 19, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
I found this to be more than moderately helpful in writing instruction - but I wouldn't use it as my bible or anything.
Sam
Aug 19, 2009 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, nonfiction
EN COMP I text. Thoughtful and interesting philosphies on writing.
NWA Writing Project
Loaned to Jennifer 10/9/13
Iraida
Aug 24, 2010 Iraida is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
WRITING ANALYTICALLY WITH READINGS is two books in one, a guide to writing with a reader, that teaches you how to have ideas and develop them in an academic setting and beyond. The writing guide offers a book-length treatment of analysis, a form of thinking and writing required in virtually all college courses.
Tyler Verrill
Tyler Verrill rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Laura Santo
Laura Santo is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Michelle Cordova
Michelle Cordova rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jiyuan Shi
Jiyuan Shi rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Dequan Er
Dequan Er is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2016
Julia Williams
Julia Williams rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Lifeindc
Lifeindc marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
S. B.
S. B. marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Kathy Hardy
Kathy Hardy is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Chao
Chao marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Amanda B Zenteno
Amanda B Zenteno rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2016
Shih-Ni
Shih-Ni marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Becoming A Master Student
  • They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • The Portable Chaucer