Start by marking “With Full Purpose of Heart: A Collection of Messages by Dallin H. Oaks” as Want to Read:
With Full Purpose of Heart: A Collection of Messages by Dallin H. Oaks

With Full Purpose of Heart: A Collection of Messages by Dallin H. Oaks

Elder Dallin H. Oaks, known for his keen gospel insights and precise expression, has been blessing Latter-day Saints with inspired discourses for many years. Now, Deseret Book offers a collection of some of his most popular and powerful addresses in With Full Purpose of Heart. "I hope that bringing them together in one place will facilitate access and cause the persuasive

Published (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about With Full Purpose of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Full Purpose of Heart

Marla Milligan
Nov 20, 2013 Marla Milligan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dallin H. Oaks is an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This book is a compilation of articles he has written or talks he has given. He was President of Brigham Young University and on the Utah Supreme Court. He talks about his life experiences and shares numerous scriptures to help us in daily life. I liked this book and it made me look at some things differntly and want to be a better person.
Heather
Jun 04, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I really loved this book! So many wonderful quotes and thoughts and lessons from Elder Oaks! All of the topics and principles are central to the messages of Jesus Christ and having faith in Him and living His teachings. My favorite chapter was about being a witness of Christ and Elder Oaks' very clear call to each of us to be a witness of Jesus Christ - to teach and testify of Him and live our lives according to His teachings. It is becoming evermore important in the world today. As we remember ...more
Jocelyn
Although 1) the whole book has wonderful truths in it and much to learn from, and 2) there were some excellent parts that I even dog-eared to save for future reference, I have to admit, this was harder for me to finish than most other church books I've read. (Yes, embarassingly, it took me over a year. Granted, I was also mothering, working part-time, and moving across the country, but...) That is the only reason I gave the book 3 stars rather than higher. I am more of a John Bytheway, Sheri Dew ...more
Julie
Jul 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
This book is a series of talks written or given by Oaks in the Ensign or at Brigham Young University. The book focuses on Christ, how we see him and as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints what we should do about it.

As he states at the beginning there is nothing new here. The first chapter is called What Think Ye of Christ? then he builds from there. I felt like I had been looking at a color wheel. We started in one color (or topic) and with the next chapter the colors shift
Sofi Carpenter
Nov 28, 2007 Sofi Carpenter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-religion
I just finished rereading this book and I liked it better the second time around. I find that to be true of all great literature--it gets better with time. This book is a collection of gems by Elder Oaks--talks that he has given at conference or devotionals at BYU. He is one of my all-time favorite GA speakers because his talks are very inspirational, logical, succinct and very applicable to our day. This book is a keeper-great as a reference book in a myriad of gospel topics.
Jen
Sep 20, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm gonna get struck by lightning for only giving 2 stars to this book, but I have to be honest.... It wasn't one of my favorite church books. I found myself skimming quite a bit of it at times because it was putting me to sleep. Of course the messages in it are important truths, but I have read similar subjects that have been written and presented in a much more interesting way.
Sorry but it's the truth!
goddess
Jul 31, 2008 goddess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, own
One of my favorite speakers and authors, Dallin H. Oaks comes through with a fabulous compilation of talks.....ranging in topics from the Atonement, revelation, timing, powerful ideas, and taking upon ourselves the name of Christ. Very insightful and thought-provoking; points were made that had never crossed my mind. This book will definitely be a resource for future questions and talks.
Helena
Jan 12, 2008 Helena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
Dallin H. Oaks is one of my very favorite people to learn from. His words are so clear and easy to understand for me. I really felt closer to the Lord after reading this book and I was able to look at life with a different perspective.
James Hofheins
Dec 15, 2011 James Hofheins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learning great perspectives of how I can be a better Christian and Latter-day Saint. In totality, these ideas are incredibly helpful to me. Chapter by chapter. Especially the final chapter called, "Timing".
Sam  Bright
Apr 04, 2011 Sam Bright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-religious
This started out slow but there were some great talks toward the end. Six definitions of salvation, sins vs. mistakes, weightier matters, and the talk on timing were highlights for me. Lots of good stuff. Always recommend reading a good church book, so this gets a thumbs up. 4.25 stars.
David
Jun 18, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dallin H. Oaks is a master. He writes in a way that is difficult, maybe even impossible, to disagree with. Furthermore, he's unafraid of the subjects that may make us squirm - dependence on the Lord in a church that teaches independence, for example. This is terrific stuff.
Colleen
Feb 01, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started reading it last year and got sidetracked.
I am starting to read it again.
Aaron BAird
Sep 28, 2009 Aaron BAird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good
Danni
Jun 06, 2012 Danni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cool book. I loved it. It is just a bunch of talks by Dallin H. Oaks. What a spiritual uplift.
John
Oct 16, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of his addresses from the past - all good (really)
Vanessa
Jun 11, 2008 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. Elder Oaks has a way of phrasing ideas that helps me to see broader picture.
Brenda
Apr 28, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this man!
Matt
Jan 10, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book. Should have gotten more attention when it was published. Elder Oaks has such an incisive mind and is so good at articulating the subtleties of the gospel.
Rex
Sep 09, 2007 Rex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
Fabulous book. Elder Oaks is as usual very insightful and spot-on.
Kelsey
Mar 27, 2009 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's Dallin H. Oaks....what's not to like? This is a collection of his talks mainly focusing on the Savior, but with other topics as well. It includes some of my all-time favorites.
Miikey
Aug 20, 2009 Miikey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Spencer
Jan 25, 2009 Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of Oaks great sermons and discourses. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Jill Mcwillis
Jill Mcwillis rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2010
Cortnie
Cortnie rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2008
Jonah Humes
Jonah Humes rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Michelle Dalley
Michelle Dalley rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2011
Karl W.
Karl W. rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2009
Christian Larsen
Christian Larsen rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Mikel
Mikel rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • The Message of the Joseph Smith Papyri: An Egyptian Endowment (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 16)
  • Book of Mormon Reference Companion
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle
Dallin Harris Oaks is an American attorney, jurist and religious leader. Since 1984, he has been a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He is a former professor of law at the University of Chicago Law School, a former president of Brigham Young University, and a former justice of the Utah Supreme Court. In the 1970s and 1980s, ...more
More about Dallin H. Oaks...

“judgments in choosing our friends, in choosing how we will spend our time and our money, and, of course, in choosing an eternal companion. Some of these intermediate judgments are surely among those the Savior referenced when he taught that “the weightier matters of the law” include judgment (Matthew 23:23).” 0 likes
“directions are” 0 likes