Start by marking “With Full Purpose of Heart: A Collection of Messages by Dallin H. Oaks” as Want to Read:
With Full Purpose of Heart: A Collection of Messages by Dallin H. Oaks

With Full Purpose of Heart: A Collection of Messages by Dallin H. Oaks

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Elder Dallin H. Oaks, known for his keen gospel insights and precise expression, has been blessing Latter-day Saints with inspired discourses for many years. Now, Deseret Book offers a collection of some of his most popular and powerful addresses in With Full Purpose of Heart. "I hope that bringing them together in one place will facilitate access and cause the persuasive

Published (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about With Full Purpose of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Full Purpose of Heart

Marla Milligan
Dallin H. Oaks is an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This book is a compilation of articles he has written or talks he has given. He was President of Brigham Young University and on the Utah Supreme Court. He talks about his life experiences and shares numerous scriptures to help us in daily life. I liked this book and it made me look at some things differntly and want to be a better person.
Jocelyn
Although 1) the whole book has wonderful truths in it and much to learn from, and 2) there were some excellent parts that I even dog-eared to save for future reference, I have to admit, this was harder for me to finish than most other church books I've read. (Yes, embarassingly, it took me over a year. Granted, I was also mothering, working part-time, and moving across the country, but...) That is the only reason I gave the book 3 stars rather than higher. I am more of a John Bytheway, Sheri Dew ...more
Julie
This book is a series of talks written or given by Oaks in the Ensign or at Brigham Young University. The book focuses on Christ, how we see him and as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints what we should do about it.

As he states at the beginning there is nothing new here. The first chapter is called What Think Ye of Christ? then he builds from there. I felt like I had been looking at a color wheel. We started in one color (or topic) and with the next chapter the colors shift
Sofi Carpenter
I just finished rereading this book and I liked it better the second time around. I find that to be true of all great literature--it gets better with time. This book is a collection of gems by Elder Oaks--talks that he has given at conference or devotionals at BYU. He is one of my all-time favorite GA speakers because his talks are very inspirational, logical, succinct and very applicable to our day. This book is a keeper-great as a reference book in a myriad of gospel topics.
Jen
I think I'm gonna get struck by lightning for only giving 2 stars to this book, but I have to be honest.... It wasn't one of my favorite church books. I found myself skimming quite a bit of it at times because it was putting me to sleep. Of course the messages in it are important truths, but I have read similar subjects that have been written and presented in a much more interesting way.
Sorry but it's the truth!
goddess
One of my favorite speakers and authors, Dallin H. Oaks comes through with a fabulous compilation of talks.....ranging in topics from the Atonement, revelation, timing, powerful ideas, and taking upon ourselves the name of Christ. Very insightful and thought-provoking; points were made that had never crossed my mind. This book will definitely be a resource for future questions and talks.
Sam  Bright
This started out slow but there were some great talks toward the end. Six definitions of salvation, sins vs. mistakes, weightier matters, and the talk on timing were highlights for me. Lots of good stuff. Always recommend reading a good church book, so this gets a thumbs up. 4.25 stars.
David
Dallin H. Oaks is a master. He writes in a way that is difficult, maybe even impossible, to disagree with. Furthermore, he's unafraid of the subjects that may make us squirm - dependence on the Lord in a church that teaches independence, for example. This is terrific stuff.
Helena
Dallin H. Oaks is one of my very favorite people to learn from. His words are so clear and easy to understand for me. I really felt closer to the Lord after reading this book and I was able to look at life with a different perspective.
James Hofheins
Learning great perspectives of how I can be a better Christian and Latter-day Saint. In totality, these ideas are incredibly helpful to me. Chapter by chapter. Especially the final chapter called, "Timing".
Kelsey
It's Dallin H. Oaks....what's not to like? This is a collection of his talks mainly focusing on the Savior, but with other topics as well. It includes some of my all-time favorites.
Matt
This is an awesome book. Should have gotten more attention when it was published. Elder Oaks has such an incisive mind and is so good at articulating the subtleties of the gospel.
Vanessa
This was a great read. Elder Oaks has a way of phrasing ideas that helps me to see broader picture.
Danni
What a cool book. I loved it. It is just a bunch of talks by Dallin H. Oaks. What a spiritual uplift.
Steven
Awesume book. It explains doctrines of the gospel so that anyone can understand them.
Colleen
Started reading it last year and got sidetracked.
I am starting to read it again.
Spencer
A compilation of Oaks great sermons and discourses. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Diana
Great collection of talks given by Elder Oakes mostly from BYU devotionals.
Rex
Fabulous book. Elder Oaks is as usual very insightful and spot-on.
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Yureli Castillo
Yureli Castillo marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
RoseMary
RoseMary marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Book of Mormon Reference Companion
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
Dallin Harris Oaks is an American attorney, jurist and religious leader. Since 1984, he has been a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He is a former professor of law at the University of Chicago Law School, a former president of Brigham Young University, and a former justice of the Utah Supreme Court. In the 1970s and 1980s, ...more
More about Dallin H. Oaks...
Life's Lessons Learned: Personal Reflections Carthage Conspiracy: The Trial of the Accused Assassins of Joseph Smith Pure in Heart The Lord's Way His Holy Name