Start by marking “Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)” as Want to Read:
Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride #3)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  77,357 Ratings  ·  2,474 Reviews
In MAXIMUM RIDE: SAVING THE WORLD AND OTHER EXTREME SPORTS, the time has arrived for Max and her winged "Flock" to face their ultimate enemy and discover their original purpose: to defeat the takeover of "Re-evolution", a sinister experiment to re-engineer a select population into a scientifically superior master race...and to terminate the rest. Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 432 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by jimmy patterson (first published August 14th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports, please sign up.

Sirenia it was kind of sad considering that he liked Max, but he still was pretty whack. But ya, I've got mixed feelings here too.
carrie yes, if you want to understand the third book, you must read the other two books. (angel experiment and schools out forever)

Mariel
Jul 18, 2011 Mariel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: godspeed you emperor's new clothes
Recommended to Mariel by: death from above 1979-2011
There was a metaphorical hole in my heart. A spiritual void and yearning for oblivion. My hands didn't want to turn the pages of the many books I own. Too lazy. What's the point? I'll still be me. Nothing on tv. All of these channels and NOTHING on. It's probably broken. There's no way that the same show is on every channel. I was bored. There was nothing to do. Pretty much the mental equivalent of food in the fridge and there's nothing good (tasty) to eat. I've got nothing! I'm a wasteland. ...more
Nordy
Feb 05, 2008 Nordy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys the sinking feeling that you are losing IQ points with every word you read.
I find one of the great benefits of teaching is being able to buy/read ya lit without having to justify to myself its literary merit (I'm buying it for my classroom library; I'm reading it for research). Much of the YA Lit that I read though, is, in fact, well written, intelligent, thought-provoking pieces of literature. The Maximum Ride series was certainly never that. While I enjoyed the first two Maximum Ride books (The Angel Experiment and School's Out Forever), they are certainly brain cand ...more
Margalit
Aug 13, 2007 Margalit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the blind
Shelves: kidsbooks
HATED IT. I never hate books. This was so poorly written, such a mess of mixed up voice, bad dialog and improbably situations. A total waste of paper.
Kathleen Garber
Oct 06, 2007 Kathleen Garber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen girls
This is actually the third book in the series. I have not read the first two but When the Wind Blows (of which this series was based on,) is one of my favourite books by James Patterson.

When I heard that Patterson had written a children's novel I was surprised. Knowing what his adult books are like, I couldn't imagine how he could write for children without being to scary. I find his writing style completely different in this book, it is hard for me to think of the books as having the same autho
Sheralyn
May 06, 2009 Sheralyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Okay, I would love to give this book ever-so-many more stars, but nothing ruins a book like half-a$$ed politics.

I mean, really?!? James, or whoever really wrote this (who is brilliant and the object of my emulation in so many ways), do you really want all children to be socialist democrats?

It's just hilarious to me how present players refuse to learn from history... the alternative being that they are students of history, bent on repeating it over and over again, not caring how many people die a
Esther
Oct 04, 2016 Esther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
"'Hi,' I said lamely. Unfortunately, finding out who my parents actually were had not improved my social graces by leaps and bounds. Oh, well."

The quote above shows exactly why I like this book. Max is so sarcastic and I love the touch she gives to converstations. For example; the way she mocks Ter Borcht and the scientists is so funny. Loved to read those parts!

When I was finished, I was so scared that this great series would be over, but thanks to Mr. Patterson, there is much more to read!

I
Bex
Jul 29, 2010 Bex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book starts pretty much where the last one left off. Itex is all part of the evil military-industrial complex and has an evil plan. That plan is to kill about half the people on the planet, those not "good enough" and recreate the world. It's up to Max and the flock stop their sinister plan.

Like the previous books, the pace is fast and fun. The author gives a couple of nods to Ian Flemming's James Bond, and that's pretty much the way of his villains. They go to great pains to capture the h
Nikki Arsenault
Nov 01, 2014 Nikki Arsenault rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Barbara
Jul 25, 2010 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bart
Feb 24, 2008 Bart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first two books in the series, this is pure escapist reading from James Patterson. Our heroine (the epynonomus, Max Ride) is back with her flock, to find their families, escape the Erasers, find out what the mad scientists are up to, and oh yes. save the world.

Again like the first two books, Max is a feisty, witty and likable guide through their adventures, and yes there is some conclusion at the end, although, Patterson, rather sensibly given the success of the series has left some of
Victoria
May 28, 2009 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, this book has everything Max. Because I originally thought this was the last book in the series, I think I became specially attached to it. Many of my favorite quotes come from this one.

There's more pop-culture and "normal" references in Book 3, but they just it make it all the funnier. Can we say Paris, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, beach bunnies, LA gangs, and Hollywood sign? :D

This is also the first book to rotate perspective more than the previous two, and for good reason (but I wo
Lu
May 13, 2009 Lu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Um. When did totally unrealistic and unbelievable and STUPID plot twists become acceptable? This book was a best seller. HOW CAN SUCH IDIOTIC THINGS MAKE THE BEST SELLER LIST?

I know, I know. I read it too. But in my defense, the first two books were at least bearable in terms of plot.

If I'm really honest, they weren't that wonderful, but I was caught by Max and Fang's little romance. And Max's attitude is so fun to read.

But this book took it too far.
Don't be surprised though when I tell you t
Helen
Nov 16, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Another super fun installment of this wonderful series by James Patterson. Max and her "flock" of genetically engineered teenagers take a group of wannabe Nazi's looking to create a new master race. A guilty pleasure to be sure, but a pleasure nonetheless.
Adam
Feb 10, 2016 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better and better. I just can't stop reading this series and love the authors writing.
Aelvana
Oct 31, 2014 Aelvana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nereia
Dec 19, 2012 Nereia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In verità vi dico che Max è la nuova Miss Italia. È pure bionda

Questo è, fino a ora, il più brutto libro della serie che ho letto. Davvero di una bruttezza rara. All'inizio non sembrava così male, fino a metà regge bene il ritmo e si legge volentieri. Poi, però, tutto diventa ridicolo perché Patterson inserisce, all'interno della trama, finto perbenismo e lotta all'ecologia. Ma perché? Con chi ha stretto un patto il signor James? Gli è stato promesso un compenso dal partito americano dei Verdi?!
Lucas
Oct 19, 2016 Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever stayed up late reading a series? This book will make you do that.
Being the third in the series it is very action packed. But when a two of the members are fighting on there way to "save the world", the band splits.
If you liked the hunger games then this series is for you!
Bridget
Feb 06, 2008 Bridget rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if James Patterson had a time crunch for writing this book, but it was trash. There were so many improbabilities, pointless scenes, inconsistencies, and it was boring.

While reading "Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports", I had some major "Yeah, right" moments. Max loses the use of one of her arms, then suddenly gets it back? Angel is now powerful enough to hypnotize a crowd? I don't think so!

About that fight with Omega Boy...Max is super strong. She would be able to hold her
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 5

In Dept

Best Part:
It was short.
Worst Part: Yuck tension.
Thoughts Had: JUST KISS ALREADY

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: eh

Short Review: I'm slowing starting to not like this series.
Xavier Irizarry
Sep 30, 2014 Xavier Irizarry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this third installment in the Maximum Ride series everything comes into focus. Max and the flock have abandoned the idea of finding their parents and changed their minds. This time they want to save the world. The mutant wolf men called Erasers have been exterminated and have been replaced with robots. The scientists at the School also want Max and her friends destroyed- for good. Max also has problems of her own like a annoying voice in her head and a micro chip in her arm. The flock splits ...more
Douglas Summers-Stay
I've watched episodes of The Superfriends that were better plotted than this. There are three orphan reunited with long lost parents scenes in this book: and they're all for the same orphan. The mad scientists, having tired of the flying wolf children, have now built robot flying wolf children. There's a "it was all a dream" scene in the middle of the book for no reason whatsoever. Bleah.
I read this on an airplane with no other options except the in-flight magazines. Which I read all of, twice,
mari
Feb 21, 2016 mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-adore
Man, I finished this book in like just over 24 hours, and IM ON A ROLL! I loved this book so much! It made me cry, it made me laugh, and then it made me want to slam my head into the wall, because sometimes things don't turn out the way you want them to turn out, with memorable twists and turns and it just leaves you going.. UGHHH.

but, I'm starting the next books right away.... That is after I get some sleep.
Rachael
May 01, 2016 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
I thought this book was absolutely amazing, Max is as always probably one of my favorite characters out there. She's funny, sarcastic, and is completely badass. And of course I love the rest of the flock too, Gasman, Iggy, Fang, Nudge, and Angel(Though, I don't know how I feel about her). I can't wait to finish off the rest of the series now :)
Elliot Smith
Aug 15, 2008 Elliot Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*puts gun in mouth*
Bhavya Gupta
Just because.
Actually, because it had been a roller coaster from 2.5 to 3.
M.J. Capulet
Aug 26, 2012 M.J. Capulet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-so
I’ve finally read (actually, I read it during May) and reviewed conclusion to James Patterson’s Maximum Ride The Fugitives Series! I’m sorry it took a little bit of time for me to post this. With the completion of a novel, the start of a sequel and a stand-alone, the busy as a bee schedule in school and chorale rehearsals, my life can be a pretty tough job.

Moving on, the story of our heroine, Max, continues. She finally faces her mission in saving the world from Itex as she discovers their ultim
Kim
Apr 22, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Name: Kim Deniker

APA Citation for Audiobook: Wu, N., & Jenner, J. (Narrator). (2007). Saving the World and Other Extreme Sport. On Maximum Ride [CD]. K. Thomsen (Producer). New York: Hachette Audio.

APA Citation for Book: Patterson, J. (2007). Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports. New York: Little, Brown, and Company.

Genre: Science Fiction

Literary Prizes and Award: "Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports" has won numerous literary awards including the Kliatt starred, 5/1/2007; Bookl
Chelsea K.
Agh, my genuine investment in the actual characters of the book is playing fiercely against my complete exasperation at the book. On the one hand, like I said, I do like the characters. Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Angel to a degree have kind of fallen by the wayside development-wise, but there's still sufficient energy being invested into Max and Fang, who were my two favorite from the beginning. And I have toe admit that the bits of romance and dialogue between those two are my favorite parts of th ...more
Lanie
May 24, 2016 Lanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James Patterson fans & fans of the "virals" series by Kathy Reichs
Definitely the best book so far. Maybe out of the whole series if I remember my teenage enjoyment correctly. :)

"Saving the world and other extreme sports" takes us on another exciting sci-fi adventure as we follow Max & the flock fight new robot erasers, learn more about Itex & the school's plans for the world, learn a bit about Max's past, and get some pretty cool character development for Ari. (Poor little guy needs so much therapy & cookies & hugs.)

It's not perfect, of cours
Fifa 1 1 Oct 17, 2016 05:10AM
H.D.Q.~Cádiz vs Cordoba L-ive S-tream 1 1 Oct 12, 2016 10:21AM
#NFL#}] Cleveland Browns vsNew England Patriots Li.ve S-tre.am NFL Oct 9 2016 1 1 Oct 09, 2016 09:20AM
#NFL#}] Cleveland Browns vsNew England Patriots Li.ve S-tre.am NFL Oct 9 2016 1 1 Oct 09, 2016 09:17AM
A pillow case is the only way to go. 1 1 Sep 21, 2016 10:20AM
Wait so did that original car drop it out 1 2 Sep 15, 2016 10:14AM
Um so it looks like you forgot to embed the sex tape video. 1 1 Sep 03, 2016 01:53PM
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
  • Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5)
  • The Navigator (The Navigator Trilogy, #1)
  • Safe House (1-800-Where-R-You, #3)
  • Sent (The Missing, #2)
  • Eagle Strike (Alex Rider, #4)
  • Betrayal (Chasing Yesterday, #2)
  • Rivers of Fire (Atherton, #2)
  • Seizure (Virals, #2)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • The Lost Queen (Faerie Path, #2)
  • The Black Tattoo
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Maximum Ride (9 books)
  • The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)
  • Max (Maximum Ride, #5)
  • Fang (Maximum Ride, #6)
  • Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
  • Maximum Ride Forever (Maximum Ride, #9)

“Basically, I have two speeds.... Hostile or smart-aleck. Your choice.” 4591 likes
“They turned to Angel. "We will call you Little One," the leader said, obviously deciding to dispense with the whole confusing name thing.
"Okay," said Angel agreeably. "I'll call you Guy in a White Lab Coat." He frowned.
"That can be his Indian name," I suggested.”
1194 likes