The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know about Living with Bpd

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  14 reviews
If you or someone you love is struggling with borderline personality disorder (BPD), you need up-to-date, accurate, and accessible information on the problems you’re facing and where you can turn for help. But where do you look? Much of the professional literature on BPD is too technical and confusing to be of much help. And searching the Internet for accurate information...more
Published December 1st 2007 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 12th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide

Josiah
Written by two of the experts at the forefront of research on BPD, this book is written for the average person who has questions about Borderline Personality Disorder.

Contents: What is BPD? BPD: Is what they say really true? What causes BPD? Will I have BPD forever? The course of BPD. Problems that often go along with BPD. Suicidal behavior and deliberate self-harm. How do I find help for BPD? Dialectical behavior therapy. Mentalization-based treatment. Dealing with suicidal thoughts. Coping wi...more
Tara Jay
Surprisingly good and useful for a self-help book and seemed to be way more compassionate than all the other books on BPD at the library. This one made sure to stress that you're not a manipulate awful person to be avoided at all costs if you have BPD, while a lot of other books seem to kind of (subtly or not so subtly) work through that as a given framework.

But shit got weird went the authors tried to approach suicide and they actually at multiple points, really bizarrely used 'no one really kn...more
Melissa
It was an okay book, good for people who need an overview. I found the parts about DBT and Marsha Linehan especially helpful. :)
Jess
This is mainly aimed toward people who suspect that they might have BPD so it wasn't all that helpful. I'm looking to learn more about how to deal with someone who suffers from it but I've found several other books more helpful than this one. That said though, it's a fine book with plenty of good info in it, just not what I was looking for.
Joyce
After diagnosis, the psychiatrist highly recommended reading this book. It's clear and well-laid out, but I think I knew all this before--good first book, but pretty elementary. Definitely worthwhile for recognizing 'oh, that's me--I'm not the only one who does this--there's a name for this and ways to deal with it.'
Tara Calaby
This is the best book providing an overview of BPD that I've read so far. It's mostly aimed toward people who actually have BPD, but I think it would be a really good read for their loved ones as well. Completely empathetic and fact based, and focussed on giving people with BPD hope for their future. Excellent.
Carole
Pretty sure that Winter and I have BPD but since we also have depression the treatment is the same as the treatment for depression so I guess we are on the right course. Very interesting though.
Emma-Jayne Saanen
A gentle and compassionate take on Borderline Personality Disorder, for those caught between the relief of diagnosis and the fear of healing.
victoria hampton
If you or a freind has been diagnosed with this disorder, this book does a good job of explaining it and the treatments currently available
Michelle Muench
this was so excellent. it gace easy to understand explinations and taught me so much at the same time
Leslie
This book helps me every time I open it.
Bill Warden
Good overall book talking about BPD.
Jana Kaplan
interesting and informative.
Malia
Malia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
retrospective
retrospective marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Paula Heilbrun
Paula Heilbrun is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Stephanie Kelly
Stephanie Kelly is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Runny
Runny added it
Aug 15, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Pierre Lamothe
Pierre Lamothe marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Bradley
Bradley is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Jane Piddy
Jane Piddy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Amirah Iqbal
Amirah Iqbal is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD, and Other Anxiety Symptoms Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anger Behavioral Interventions in Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Practical Guidance for Putting Theory into Action Freedom from Self-harm: Overcoming Self-Injury with Skills from DBT and Other Treatments