Start by marking “The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know about Living with Bpd” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  18 reviews
If you or someone you love is struggling with borderline personality disorder (BPD), you need up-to-date, accurate, and accessible information on the problems you’re facing and where you can turn for help. But where do you look? Much of the professional literature on BPD is too technical and confusing to be of much help. And searching the Internet for accurate information ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 12th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide

Josiah
Written by two of the experts at the forefront of research on BPD, this book is written for the average person who has questions about Borderline Personality Disorder.

Contents: What is BPD? BPD: Is what they say really true? What causes BPD? Will I have BPD forever? The course of BPD. Problems that often go along with BPD. Suicidal behavior and deliberate self-harm. How do I find help for BPD? Dialectical behavior therapy. Mentalization-based treatment. Dealing with suicidal thoughts. Coping wi
Tara Jay
Surprisingly good and useful for a self-help book and seemed to be way more compassionate than all the other books on BPD at the library. This one made sure to stress that you're not a manipulate awful person to be avoided at all costs if you have BPD, while a lot of other books seem to kind of (subtly or not so subtly) work through that as a given framework.

But shit got weird went the authors tried to approach suicide and they actually at multiple points, really bizarrely used 'no one really kn
Joyce
This book explained BPD and even explained a bit about Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), the treatment of choice for Borderline Personality Disorder. It's the treatment that helped me recover. I like how, included in each chapter, were examples of what it's like living with BPD. There are even some great exercises to try to help you cope with your emotions.
Melissa
It was an okay book, good for people who need an overview. I found the parts about DBT and Marsha Linehan especially helpful. :)
Cara
I used this as one of many references for an educational programme I designed at uni. It gives a good overview of living with BPD and is very user-friendly. Would especially recommend it to those not familiar with BPD or those who's belief system has fallen victim to the many (untrue) stereotypes that society/the media have created!
Linda
This is a very good book on Borderline Personality Disorder. It would be a helpful read for anyone from someone who believes they may have BPD, someone newly diagnosed, or someone who has a loved one with BPD symptoms. I especially liked the section on Mentalization-Based Treatment since most books I have read did not mention it more than briefly. The breakdown of what to expect from both DBT and MBT was also wonderful as I was not familiar with more than a brief description of each form of ther ...more
Jess
This is mainly aimed toward people who suspect that they might have BPD so it wasn't all that helpful. I'm looking to learn more about how to deal with someone who suffers from it but I've found several other books more helpful than this one. That said though, it's a fine book with plenty of good info in it, just not what I was looking for.
Joyce
After diagnosis, the psychiatrist highly recommended reading this book. It's clear and well-laid out, but I think I knew all this before--good first book, but pretty elementary. Definitely worthwhile for recognizing 'oh, that's me--I'm not the only one who does this--there's a name for this and ways to deal with it.'
Tara Calaby
This is the best book providing an overview of BPD that I've read so far. It's mostly aimed toward people who actually have BPD, but I think it would be a really good read for their loved ones as well. Completely empathetic and fact based, and focussed on giving people with BPD hope for their future. Excellent.
Carole
Pretty sure that Winter and I have BPD but since we also have depression the treatment is the same as the treatment for depression so I guess we are on the right course. Very interesting though.
Emma-Jayne Saanen
A gentle and compassionate take on Borderline Personality Disorder, for those caught between the relief of diagnosis and the fear of healing.
victoria hampton
If you or a freind has been diagnosed with this disorder, this book does a good job of explaining it and the treatments currently available
Michelle Muench
this was so excellent. it gace easy to understand explinations and taught me so much at the same time
Leslie
This book helps me every time I open it.
Bill Warden
Good overall book talking about BPD.
Jana Kaplan
interesting and informative.
Missy
Missy is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Karenmcgaa
Karenmcgaa marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jul 25, 2015
Evelyn Eve
Evelyn Eve is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Billie Page
Billie Page marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
NayDoubleU
NayDoubleU marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Madi
Madi marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Borderline Personality Disorder for Dummies
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder: Relieve Your Suffering Using the Core Skill of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
  • The Angry Heart: Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders : An Interactive Self-Help Guide
  • Secret Survivors
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Emotionally Abused Woman: Overcoming Destructive Patterns and Reclaiming Yourself
  • The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality
  • The Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation--the Hidden Epidemic
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life
  • Bipolar Disorder Demystified: Mastering the Tightrope of Manic Depression
  • Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD, and Other Anxiety Symptoms Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed Dialectical Behavior Therapy The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anger: Using DBT Mindfulness and Emotion Regulation Skills to Manage Anger Behavioral Interventions in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Practical Guidelines for Putting Theory Into Action